Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Flake vows to boycott GOP judicial nominees after McConnell torpedoes Mueller protection legislation

Flake vows to boycott GOP judicial nominees after McConnell torpedoes Mueller protection legislation

'Congress could not have been more precise' when it comes to who should replace Department of Justice officials, says Fox News senior judicial analyst Judge Andrew Napolitano.

Retiring Arizona Republican Sen. Jeff Flake on Wednesday vowed to pull support for all federal judicial nominees -- including 21 pending in the Judiciary Committee and 32 awaiting a vote on the Senate floor -- unless the Senate's GOP leadership permits consideration of legislation to expand protections for Special Counsel Robert Mueller's job.

The dramatic move by Flake, considered a potential primary challenger to President Trump in 2020, came immediately after Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell blocked his effort to introduce the bill for consideration by unanimous consent, which requires the approval of all 100 senators.

McConnell said the legislation, also backed by Delaware Democratic Sen. Chris Coons, is unnecessary because Trump has not suggested he will fire Mueller.

"Sen. Coons and I are prepared to make it again and again until there is a vote on this vital, bipartisan legislation on the Senate floor," Flake said in a speech just weeks before his imminent retirement. "And I have informed the majority leader I will not vote to advance any of the 21 judicial nominees pending in the Judiciary Committee or vote to confirm the 32 judges awaiting confirmation on the Senate Floor until S. 2644 is brought to the full Senate for a vote."

DOJ OFFICE OF LEGAL COUNSEL SAYS IT'S CONSTITUTIONAL FOR TRUMP TO APPOINT WHITAKER WITHOUT SENATE APPROVAL

He added: "We have been told that the bill ... is not necessary, as there have been no indications that the independence of Mr. Mueller's investigation is in jeopardy. That may have been an arguable position before last week. But it is not arguable anymore.

"With the firing of the attorney general ... the president now has this investigation in his sights and we all know it," he continued. "How such an investigation can be the cause of controversy is beyond me. ... Presidents do not get to determine what gets investigated and what and who does not."

"The President now has this investigation in his sights, and we all know it."

— Sen. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz.

Wednesday's threat wasn't the first from Flake, who will be replaced in January by Democrat Kyrsten Sinema. In June, he told ABC News that he was considering using judicial nominees as leverage over trade policy. ("I think myself and a number of senators, at least a few of us, will stand up and say let's not move any more judges until we get a vote, for example, on tariffs," Flake said this summer.)

Flake was a key vote to confirm Supreme Court Associate Justice Brett Kavanaugh, and he is the swing vote on the Judiciary Committee, where Republicans hold a slim 11-10 majority. The Senate, which has the exclusive power to confirm federal nominees by a simple majority vote, will be in session for another week in November and about two more weeks in December.

The pending judicial nominees do not need majority support on the Judiciary Committee to advance to a final confirmation vote on the Senate floor, where Republicans are set to retain their majority next term. However, nominations that do not have the committee's approval tend to move slower.

Judiciary Committee Press Secretary George Hartmann wrote on Twitter that the committee is planning to vote on a set of nominees soon.

"As for the nominees in committee on tomorrow's [Judiciary Committee] agenda, they are all expected to be held over one week under the committee rules (which do not require a vote)," Hartmann wrote. "They would, however, be ready for a committee vote at the following business meeting (likely Nov. 29)."

Sen. Jeff Flake reportedly isn’t shutting the door on a possible White House run against President Trump.

Sen. Jeff Flake reportedly isn’t shutting the door on a possible White House run against President Trump. (AP)

Top Democrats and some Republicans have called on Acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker, who replaced Jeff Sessions, to recuse himself from oversight of the Russia investigation. Whitaker has written critically of Mueller's probe, which he now oversees.

The bill Flake advocated, which has been stalled in the Judiciary Committee since earlier this year, would have mandated an expedited judicial review of any decision by Trump to fire Mueller. If the termination was found to be without cause, the legislation would restore Mueller's job.

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., said this week that if Whitaker does not recuse himself, Democrats will seek to tie protections for the investigation into the critical spending bill that funds the federal government -- potentially setting up a government shutdown.

"We Democrats, House and Senate, will attempt to add to must-pass legislation, in this case the spending bill, legislation that would prevent Mr. Whitaker from interfering with the Mueller investigation" should Whitaker not recuse, Schumer said Sunday during an appearance on CNN's "State of the Union."

Under current Justice Department guidelines, Mueller's termination would ostensibly have to come from Whitaker or another high-level DOJ official.

But one of the bill's co-sponsors, North Carolina Republican Sen. Thom Thillis, sided with McConnell in saying that there's no rush to pass the bill.

"I don't think the president has any intention of removing Mueller," Thillis said. "I'm all about getting this on the books so no future President can make that kind of a bad decision. ... I've had discussion with the president. Everyone said it was hours away back in August. Didn't happen. So I think it's another false crisis. But it's important legislation ultimately to get passed."

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, coorslite21 said:

He certainly lives up to his name.....not hard to see why his home state approval ratings were so low that he didn't even run in the primary because he knew it was a lost cause....

But that doesn't explain how they lost the seat to a democrat.... I agree he is a lame duck and needs to shut up, but I think like many areas, the new generation is taking over as the older generation passes on, and they don't like the GOP... JMHO

B/A

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, bostonangler said:

But that doesn't explain how they lost the seat to a democrat.... I agree he is a lame duck and needs to shut up, but I think like many areas, the new generation is taking over as the older generation passes on, and they don't like the GOP... JMHO

B/A

If you can get beyond the distant Bi-sexual and Witchcraft past Sinema admits to.....her qualifications for office are pretty good......well educated and been in Congress for 6 years.

Because a hundred thousand Left leaners, or so, migrated from Cali in the past 5 years.....that may have been the difference in the vote.  Congressionally she has a fair voting record as a moderate.

I believe you are partially correct in your statement about the young ones taking over........they are tired of the old guard for sure.....both sides.......

CL

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, coorslite21 said:

If you can get beyond the distant Bi-sexual and Witchcraft past Sinema admits to.....her qualifications for office are pretty good......well educated and been in Congress for 6 years.

Because a hundred thousand Left leaners, or so, migrated from Cali in the past 5 years.....that may have been the difference in the vote.  Congressionally she has a fair voting record as a moderate.

I believe you are partially correct in your statement about the young ones taking over........they are tired of the old guard for sure.....both sides.......

CL

Well said, CL

GO RV, then BV

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, coorslite21 said:

CL

It's a generational thing for sure... AZ is like FL, filled with retired people who are passing on. The scary thing is the millennials I know couldn't run a donut shop never mind our country and future. LOL

B/A

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

Well said, CL

GO RV, then BV

And it seems the odds are pretty good that come January McSally will be granted the remaining years of McCains tenure in the Senate........really in my mind a win/win for Arizona........each candidate had over a million votes with a thin margin of victory for Sinema........CL

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, bostonangler said:

It's a generational thing for sure... AZ is like FL, filled with retired people who are passing on. The scary thing is the millennials I know couldn't run a donut shop never mind our country and future. LOL

B/A

Crazy youngsters........video below...........CL

This was just 2 days ago or so...........welcome to the swamp!!!!

https://www.thebestviralvideos.com/news/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-joins-climate-change-activists-in-protest-at-nancy-pelosis-office-time/

Home / News / Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Joins Climate Change Activists In Protest At Nancy Pelosi’s Office | TIME

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Joins Climate Change Activists In Protest At Nancy Pelosi’s Office | TIME

Democratic Rep.-elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York has joined about 200 climate-change activists as they stage a protest at the office of House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, coorslite21 said:

And it seems the odds are pretty good that come January McSally will be granted the remaining years of McCains tenure in the Senate........really in my mind a win/win for Arizona........each candidate had over a million votes with a thin margin of victory for Sinema........CL

Yeah, that's great....nearly every Arizona voter would then be represented, as it should be.

GO RV, then BV

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, bostonangler said:

I'm familiar with the swamp... My state just voted Marsha Blackburn into the Senate, after being voted one of the most corrupt politicians during her 16 years in D.C. And Trump supported her... Geeez. It's always party before America for all these politicians.

B/A

Who voted her to be one of the "most corrupt"?..........I thought you were from Boston......??

Geeeeeez.......there you go again with your conflicting statements.......not always.............!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, coorslite21 said:

Who voted her to be one of the "most corrupt"?..........I thought you were from Boston......??

Geeeeeez.......there you go again with your conflicting statements.......not always.............!

You might find this interesting on both sides. It is certainly balanced and non-partisan.

https://www.citizensforethics.org/press-release/crew-releases-fourth-annual-most-corrupt-members-of-congress-report/

I am from Boston area, but have lived in Tennessee for over 20 years... 

I'm not sure what is conflicting, unless you don't believe Trump is a politician.

B/A

Edited by bostonangler
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, bostonangler said:

You might find this interesting on both sides. It is certainly balanced and non-partisan.

https://www.citizensforethics.org/press-release/crew-releases-fourth-annual-most-corrupt-members-of-congress-report/

I am from Boston area, but have lived in Tennessee for over 20 years... 

I'm not sure what is conflicting, unless you don't believe Trump is a politician.

B/A

Interesting site......wasn't going to join....perhaps more inside for paying members.....nothing said about her specifically being the worst...in fact she was only an honorable mention.....and no support for any of those named as to why they were on the list.......just another he said, she said hit sight in my mind....."where's the beef?

Scroll down....see for yourself.

CREW

CREW RELEASES FOURTH ANNUAL MOST CORRUPT MEMBERS OF CONPORCREW's Most Corrupt Members of CongressWashington D.C.  Today, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) released its fourth annual report on the most corrupt members of Congress.

CREW’s Most Corrupt Members of Congress provides a detailed analysis of the unethical and sometimes illegal activities of 24 congressmen and women who have most egregiously betrayed the public’s trust.

New to this year’s study are Reps. Marsha Blackburn, Vern Buchanan, Vito Fossella, Dan Lipinski, Charlie Rangel, Laura Richardson and Mike Turner, and Sens. Mary Landrieu and Norm Coleman.

Of this year’s list of 24, at least 12 are under investigation: Ken Calvert, John Doolittle, Tom Feeney, Vito Fossella, William Jefferson, Jerry Lewis, Alan Mollohan, Gary Miller, Tim Murphy, Rick Renzi, Don Young and Ted Stevens. One other, Charlie Rangel, is under a self-initiated House ethics committee investigation.

Melanie Sloan, executive director of CREW, said today, “With soaring gas prices, a housing market in crisis, rising unemployment, and a nation at war, elected officials should be prioritizing their constituents’ needs over their own self-interests. Unfortunately, the members of Congress listed in CREW’s Most Corrupt report have decided that their personal needs are paramount to those they represent. This report holds them accountable for those choices.”

The 20 most corrupt Members of Congress

• Rep. Vern Buchanan (R-FL)
  • Rep. Ken Calvert (R-CA)
  • Rep. John T. Doolittle (R-CA)
  • Rep. Tom Feeney (R-FL)
  • Rep. Vito J. Fossella (R-NY)
  • Rep. William J. Jefferson (D-LA)
  • Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-LA)
  • Rep. Jerry Lewis (R-CA)
  • Rep. Daniel Lipinski (D-IL)
  • Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY)
  • Rep. Gary G. Miller (R-CA)
  • Rep. Alan B. Mollohan (D-WV)
  • Rep. Timothy F. Murphy (R-PA)
  • Rep. John P. Murtha (D-PA)
  • Rep. Steve Pearce (R-NM)
  • Rep. Charles B. Rangel (D-NY)
  • Rep. Rick Renzi (R-AZ)
  • Rep. Harold Rogers (R-KY)
  • Sen. Ted Stevens (R-AK)
  • Rep. Don Young (R-AK)

Dishonorable mentions

• Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-TN)
  • Sen. Norm Coleman (R-MN)
  • Rep. Laura Richardson (D-CA)
  • Rep. Michael Turner (R-OH)

Click Here to read CREW’s Fourth Annual Most Corrupt Members of Congress Report

• SHARE THIS:
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
latestCONTENT
Verma-Oval-Office-360x240.jpg November 2, 2018
CREW FILES HATCH ACT COMPLAINT AGAINST CMS ADMINISTRATOR SEEMA VERMA

Seema Verma likely violated the Hatch Act by using her official government Twitter account to advocate against a political party

READ MORE
40528579491_a9a4d44dc4_b-360x240.jpg October 23, 2018
CREW FILES HATCH ACT COMPLAINT AGAINST KELLYANNE CONWAY

Kellyanne Conway likely violated the Hatch Act by using her official government Twitter account to post partisan political messages.

READ MORE
20140627_Trump_International_Hotel_and_Tower_Chicago_sign-360x240.jpg December 16, 2016
BOOKBINDER STATEMENT ON TRUMP RETURNING TO THE TRUMP ORGANIZATION
December 16, 2016 In response to reports from President-elect Trump’s friends, business associates and transition staff that Trump wishes to hold on to his business and return to...
READ MORE

JOIN CREW

•  
  • Opt in to updates from Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, coorslite21 said:

Perhaps he should move to France.....hang out with the "girly men" there......never met a softer bunch!  CL

I'm pretty glad those "girly men" were around to help out during our fight for independence.....the thought of addressing the leader of our country as King makes me want to puke.  Of course Trump makes me wanna puke too.....so, forget I chimed in.  :lol:

GO RV, then BV

• Downvote 2

I guess this politician forgot who elected Trump....We the People...Folks like this don't need to hold office... 

640x640-5-3.jpg

US President Donald Trump speaks to reporters in Washington on Tuesday. Photo by Lea Mills

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A Republican senator opposed to President Donald Trump on Sunday called for the Republican Party to hold primaries to choose its candidate for next presidential term in 2020, contrary to the fact that the two parties have always regarded the outgoing president as the natural candidate for his party if he wants a second term, .

"One of them has to run for the Republican Party, at least to remind Republicans what it means to be conservative," said Arizona Republican Senator Jeff Flick. "What it means is to be respected too."

Asked if he could run against Trump, Flake said: "I do not think so." There are better candidates.

Fleck, who leaves office in January 2019, warned voters in his former Republican stronghold would reject candidates "stuck to the president."

"I think we are also seeing this in other parts of the country. We are losing the suburbs. "

Flick revealed my name as potential candidates to compete with Trump, Nebraska's Ben Sassi, and Ohio Governor John Kayesk, the losing candidate in the party's last primary.

Trump confirmed during the mid-term campaign that he was 100 percent confident he would run in the 2020 presidential race to win a second term.

Flick is one of the main opponents of Trump in the Republican Party, and Wednesday criticized his decision to send thousands of US troops to the border with Mexico to address the convoy of immigrants from Central America to the United States. "It is regrettable to see soldiers there," he said. "We can only see it as a political trick."

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 8:09 AM, SgtFuryUSCZ said:

***///

Yup.... Flip-Flop Flake.

Whatta turncoat !    Whatta coward !    Whatta traitor !    Whatta maroon !

His spiteful, hateful behaviour is SO caustic to Our Republic !

He's going to end up in a place alot hotter than Arizona.... <_<

Flip-Flop Flake.............That boy is about as sharp as a bowling ball.:P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1