Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

ARE OUR EMAIL ADDRESSES SAFE AT DV?

KristiD

I've gotten 2 spam emails (1 yesterday and 1 today) to my personal email address and the sender, Earl, said he got my email from Dinar Vets.  He's trying to sell Iranian rial, or trade them for IQD.  Have other DV members gotten similar emails?   It bothers me that this guy was able to obtain my private email address....  

Edited by KristiD
  • Upvote 1

WOW! I just got one the other day but it was also the same day that I posted my email for Shabbs so that we 

can communicate in private. I just assumed that the Rial seller got it from there. Which does concern me now that you 

mention it @KristiD because I never open emails from people I don't know, but his header said that he was from DV so I 

thought that was cool. Guess now I won't open emails from DV members unless I know them.

@Adam Montana is sure to see this thread so, Adam I'm including a copy of the email I got. It comes with what appears to be 

a screen name for a DV member. The red Highlighted part is what you see before you open the email. I did the @then name symbol 

and we have no, Toucan, here. 

Toucan <toucanshotplays@yahoo.com>

Thu, Oct 25, 5:10 PM (2 days ago)

to Toucans

Hi, 

I seen your email from DinarVets.

I have 50 million Iranian Rial crisp, uncirculated banknotes

for $2500 not sure if you would be interested?

Price includes shipping/tracking in USA.

Will ship outside USA for a fee.

Thanks,

Earl 

• Thanks 1

YES LDG!!  That Toucan guy was the same email I got the first time.  Then the following day (yesterday) I got a different email from "Rare Book" offering to trade 16 million Iranian rial for 1 million IQD.  Interestingly, it was signed "Earl" - just like the Toucan email was.

So that's 3 of us so far...  Sadly, it's looking like Adam's email list was hacked  😞    I hope they can shut that down pronto (though it's too late for some of us).  I guess at least we're lucky the emails didn't contain a virus (I use kaspersky).  But from now on - I won't be opening anything to do with Iranian rial either!!

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, KristiD said:

YES LDG!!  That Toucan guy was the same email I got the first time.  Then the following day (yesterday) I got a different email from "Rare Book" offering to trade 16 million Iranian rial for 1 million IQD.  Interestingly, it was signed "Earl" - just like the Toucan email was.

So that's 3 of us so far...  Sadly, it's looking like Adam's email list was hacked  😞    I hope they can shut that down pronto (though it's too late for some of us).  I guess at least we're lucky the emails didn't contain a virus (I use kaspersky).  But from now on - I won't be opening anything to do with Iranian rial either!!

I know that the email I got wasn't infected, so I'm thinking some business that sells Rial has gotten DV emails for the 

purpose of selling Rial. I would bet business is really bad for a sanctioned nations tanking currency right now and the seller 

thinks that the people of a Dinar site might be stupid enough to fall for that. Sucks to be the seller. 

Anyhow, I'm sure if they've gotten DV's email list that Adam will easily be able to track them down and deal with it.  

• Thanks 1

This is why we encourage all members to NOT post their email addresses.  If you can copy the headers on the email and post it, there may be something in the headers that will give us a hint on the sender.  Anyone can visit DV as a guest and copy email addresses from open forum posts. So when members post their email addresses, they are then vulnerable for "harvesting".

:cowboy2:

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TexasGranny said:

This is why we encourage all members to NOT post their email addresses.  If you can copy the headers on the email and post it, there may be something in the headers that will give us a hint on the sender.  Anyone can visit DV as a guest and copy email addresses from open forum posts. So when members post their email addresses, they are then vulnerable for "harvesting".

But Granny as far as I know I was the only one that actually posted an email address. And I only did that to reach out to Shabbs in private. Also I'm not too worried about people having my email as I don't usually open emails from people I don't know. 

I'm wondering though, is it possible that by posting my email that would somehow have given someone access to the DV email list? 

Lord I hope not. 

• Thanks 1

Shabs is not VIP, so you probably posted your email address in a thread ---- right. Visitors to DV can access all areas of the forum (Except VIP).

There is no way for anyone to access the email addresses of individual members unless they are on the "staff". Even VIP members can not see other members email addresses.  That information is behind a secure firewall.  The only way they could obtain access is through hacking the admin area of the site. Adam has that section of the site protected and would know if it had been hacked.

So, the answer is NO - you did not do anything to give them access.

• Thanks 4

1 minute ago, TexasGranny said:

Shabs is not VIP, so you probably posted your email address in a thread ---- right. Visitors to DV can access all areas of the forum (Except VIP).

There is no way for anyone to access the email addresses of individual members unless they are on the "staff". Even VIP members can not see other members email addresses.  That information is behind a secure firewall.  The only way they could obtain access is through hacking the admin area of the site. Adam has that section of the site protected and would know if it had been hacked.

Thank you, Granny. I was beginning to think I screwed up big time:tiphat: 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

But I NEVER post my email address in public - not even in the private VIP section here at DV.  I have PM'd a few VIP members and sometimes I give them my email address in a PM - but no one except that person and the staff here would have access to it.  So I think the only way the Iranian rial scammer could have gotten it from here was to gain access to the DV email database.

Also, previously I used a different email address here at DV than the one I'm currently using.  I used to have problems receiving DV emails so, in the past, I've switched between other email addresses that I have.  The second Iranian rial email I got from "Rare Book" went to that previous email address.  It's been many months (probably over a year) since I've used that email here.  I checked my settings here at DV, and that old email address doesn't show up.  

In both of the 2 spam emails I got - it doesn't show which of my email addresses they are using.  Somehow they rigged it to show their email as the recipient address instead.  However, I  can tell that the second email (from Rare Book) used my business email address because that address goes through a different email service.  But I do have that address set to cc me at my personal email address (that I currently use for DV).  So, because that second spam email was delivered to both my business and personal email inboxes - while the first spam email was only recieved in my personal email inbox - I immediately knew the second one had been sent to my business email address.  The odds of me coincidentally getting a second email about Iranian rial at my business email address the day after I got a similar email sent to my personal email address from someone who is also sending that email to other DV members, are so high that it seems almost impossible.  So, I think someone did hack into the DV database.  And I can only surmise that somewhere in that database is a record of any other previous email address we might have used here at DV in the past.

Having said that, now I have further concerns.  I hope the hack was only into the DV email database.  I used to belong to OSI and had set up an IBC (which I no longer have).  I honestly can't remember how much information I provided to Julie back then, but if I provided my social security number, now I wonder if the hacker also has access to that information.  Can someone please look into this soon?  Hopefully this is just as you are saying; it's simply a currency dealer looking for leads.  But with identity theft such a serious issue these days, you can't be too careful.  THANK YOU!

fyi, here are the 2 sender email addresses from my emails:

toucanshotplays@yahoo.com

ojbook@yahoo.com

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/27/2018 at 4:04 PM, TexasGranny said:

TG is correct, your email addresses in your profile here is safe and the only way for someone to get it is if you post it publicly. 

• Thanks 3

Just an FYI to all,

When this thread was first posted, I did an immediate security check on our servers and databases here. "Just in case".

As I suspected, there were no breaches.

Since that time, thanks to the information shared privately by a few members we have been able to track down the likely perpetrator and have since banned/blocked that member.

HOWEVER, any of your email addresses that have been shared with any individual or publicly on this site are STILL in their possession! I can't put that toothpaste back in the tube, friends - you did that to yourself. :shrug: 

For your security, the minimum you should do online to protect yourself:

Don't share your personal information! Not even your email address! We have a "Private Message" function here available to VIP members. If someone isn't even a VIP member, do you really want them to have your personal information?! I sure don't! By utilizing the Private Message system here, your personal information stays protected and you know you are dealing with (at least) someone that is a known individual in our community.

Now back to your regularly scheduled organized chaos. Enjoy the day! :)

:tiphat:

• Thanks 4
  • Upvote 2

• 3 months later...

I think it's a good idea for everyone to educate themselves on digital security, but short of going completely off the grid and ditching all electronics (email, phone, tv, etc) - there's no way to really hide everything about you and your life.

Also, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you!!!

:lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 3

On 11/7/2018 at 9:26 AM, Adam Montana said:

Just an FYI to all,

When this thread was first posted, I did an immediate security check on our servers and databases here. "Just in case".

As I suspected, there were no breaches.

Since that time, thanks to the information shared privately by a few members we have been able to track down the likely perpetrator and have since banned/blocked that member.

HOWEVER, any of your email addresses that have been shared with any individual or publicly on this site are STILL in their possession! I can't put that toothpaste back in the tube, friends - you did that to yourself. :shrug: 

For your security, the minimum you should do online to protect yourself:

Don't share your personal information! Not even your email address! We have a "Private Message" function here available to VIP members. If someone isn't even a VIP member, do you really want them to have your personal information?! I sure don't! By utilizing the Private Message system here, your personal information stays protected and you know you are dealing with (at least) someone that is a known individual in our community.

Now back to your regularly scheduled organized chaos. Enjoy the day! :)

:tiphat:

A final recap before I close this thread, security at DinarVets was NOT breached, and your email addresses and other personal information is NOT in danger here.

Thread closed, but feel free to start other topics (such as what olivesman mentioned above) to continue the conversation in other directions.

:twothumbs: 

• Thanks 5
  • Upvote 2