Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Moment social media star is shot dead at the wheel of her Porsche in Iraq

Pitcher

I said social media would be the first leak...just saying once the people are informed (educated) on what is to come... sad but true... I don't know how big she was or if she couldn't keep her mouth shut or both... but it is still upsetting that it would go to these lengths...I mean corruption in the news govt and cbi is all underway might as well tie in social media outlets

• Upvote 1

Well well. This is the most attention I think I have ever gotten. Now I know how Umberto and Luigi feel with all the attention. Kind of nice in away. Maybe I will talk to Adam about taking away the Reds. But then again does it really matter when it gave people a chance to show their true colors. I have a quite a few Greenies and was not even really going to respond and wanted this to go away. Hopefully I have learned a lesson to be careful of joking and being sarcastic around people that don't know you like others. I apologize for causing such a stir. Anyways, back to the rumor section. Lol.Take care all. See ya around.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Na your good jg1   ++++++ :D

1 hour ago, jg1 said:

Well well. This is the most attention I think I have ever gotten. Now I know how Umberto and Luigi feel with all the attention. Kind of nice in away. Maybe I will talk to Adam about taking away the Reds. But then again does it really matter when it gave people a chance to show their true colors. I have a quite a few Greenies and was not even really going to respond and wanted this to go away. Hopefully I have learned a lesson to be careful of joking and being sarcastic around people that don't know you like others. I apologize for causing such a stir. Anyways, back to the rumor section. Lol.Take care all. See ya around.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What is behind the plight of Iraqi women?

A series of murders sparked fears of a coordinated campaign to silence successful and outspoken women in Iraq.

5 hours ago
Fans of slain former beauty queen, fashion model and social media star Tara Fares leave flowers and candles at her gravesite, in Najaf, Iraq  October 1, 2018 [Anmar Khalil/AP]
Fans of slain former beauty queen, fashion model and social media star Tara Fares leave flowers and candles at her gravesite, in Najaf, Iraq October 1, 2018 [Anmar Khalil/AP]

Women are bearing the brunt of Iraq's disastrous modern history.

Despite early advances in women's rights, including the fact that Iraq was the first country in the Arab world to have a woman serve as cabinet minister back in 1959,and that Iraqi women have been allowed to train as doctors for almost 100 years, society has taken a number of steps backwards in gender equality and women's rights in recent decades.

Today, many Iraqi women try to meet overwhelming work and family obligations with little assistance from men. Some are forced to care for their children, parents and siblings all by themselves, as men in their lives continue to fight and die on ever-shifting military fronts. To make matters worse, most extreme forms of gender-based violence are also prevalent in Iraq. In recent years, religious militias massacred dozens of sex workers and tortured journalists in Baghdad. Meanwhile, ISIL enslaved thousands of Yazidi women, many of whom are still missing today.

In the last couple of months, another worrying trend has emerged. Between August and September, four high-profile women have been assassinated. They lived in different cities and had different occupations. They only had two common traits: They were all women and they were all successful in their respective fields.

Tara Fares, one of Iraq's most prominent social media stars, was assassinated in broad daylight on September 28; Suad al-Ali, a human rights activist (to whom I do not have the honour of being related), was killed on September 25; Rasha al-Hassan, a plastic surgeon and public figure, was killed on August 23; and Rafeef al-Yassiri, also a plastic surgeon with her own clinic, died under mysterious circumstances on August 16. Authorities initially called al-Yassiri's death "a drug overdose", but have not offered an update, leading to rumours that she might have been poisoned.

On October 7, two more women, one an owner of a beauty parlour and the other an activist, were killed in Basra. In all of these cases, the assassins appeared to be highly trained, leading security forces to believe that these were not random attacks. A number of other high-profile women have also received death threats.

Social response 

It is still unclear whether these killings were part of a single conspiracy, but together they sent Iraqi women an undeniable message: "You should not seek to break out of society's traditional limitations."

To this day, many Iraqi men suffer from fragile masculinity and view women's professional success as a threat. This may translate into physical threats and attacks in certain cases. The fact that Iraq is awash in weapons as well as regular and irregular armed groups adds to the volatility of the situation. This makes some Iraqi women reluctant to pursue their professional ambitions. This is why it is reasonable to assume that the latest wave of femicides will add to these worries and make some women reconsider their career aspirations.

Nevertheless, there is some cause for optimism, as the killings provoked a promising social response. Iraqi society has widely condemned the murders and rounded on the few commentators who tried to brush them off. Haider Zaweer, a TV presenter, tweeted that people should stop worrying about Ms Fares, describingher as a "prostitute who was killed" (implying first that she deserved to be murdered and second that it was not worth investigating). The response was fast and furious, especially on social media. His remarks were condemned by thousands and eventually, his employer was forced to pull him off the air. High profile figures, including some of the country's most popular social media personalities, have stated that any attempt to justify the murders is tantamount to complicity.

These reactions demonstrated that attitudes towards women are starting to change in Iraq and larger segments of society are refusing to tolerate violence against successful women. This is an important if small, step; a larger effort will be required to make further progress. Iraqi society is awash with hard barriers for women, and subtle and unsubtle gender-based discrimination. The men and women of Iraq are scarred by conflict and close to no effort has been made to study the effects this has had on women's rights. Moreover, nobody has attempted to outline, let alone implement, a convincing strategy that could improve women's rights in the country.  

Rule of law 

One obvious, partial remedy to gender-based violence in Iraq would be to improve the rule of law. Iraq's human rights situation is notoriously fragile. Dozens, if not hundreds, of reports detail how ineffectual the police, prosecutors and judges have been in prosecuting criminal behaviour. Investigatory methods remain limited, prosecutions still rely heavily on forced confessions and allegations of torture are generally not investigated by the authorities.

Just as importantly, however, is the sense of impunity that dominates Iraq's political class. Hardly any action has been taken to address the questionable actions of armed groups that are connected with the country's main political powers. Following the most recent round of protests in Basra, a lawyer who offered to defend protesters and protest leaders (of whom Ms al-Ali was one) was killed. After each high profile assassination, government officials invariably announce that investigations have been launched, almost all of which fizzle with the passage of time. Even investigations that are concluded hardly ever lead to any form of political accountability.

Iraq's current government-formation process is an opportunity to move state institutions in the right direction. Iraqi women from all levels of society are in desperate need of protection, and the state now has an opportunity to kick-start a necessary process of change by reforming judicial institutions and improving the rule of law. None of Iraq's previous governments have ever committed to a coherent strategy to improve women's rights, so if there is one thing that the next government can do it is to prioritise this one area, for the benefit of Iraqi women.

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/plight-iraqi-women-181010132232807.html

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

10 hours ago, jg1 said:

Thats a pregudice remark, when you say men. You speak of all men? 

Before you call yourself a slave you may want to watch Roots, for a beginning and read some history on slaves before you compare yourself to one. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

@Goggles Are you referring to the Middle East or men in general?  I think overall the average man appreciates women and their willingness to prove that are capable of so much.  I know my wife is one of those women and I love her for it.   IMHO the media (pick your poison) love to exaggerate the supposed man agenda to keep women down.  Since I am a man, I think I can say most men don't feel this way. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 1

This has turned into a great topic jg1. Im old school. Men should be the bread winner. Wife should stay home with kids IF THEY WANT TOO. doesn't mean they are slave. I feel like a slave because of all they honey doos. Goggles you have your own opinion. There like assholes and they all stink. Its not a perfect world. And an old major stated that its in the bible. "If you a glave be a good slave If your a warrior be a good warrior" so when we all get up to those pearly gates god will let us in

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

On 10/11/2018 at 8:38 AM, jg1 said:

Thats a pregudice remark, when you say men. You speak of all men? 

I was commenting on the article about these Iraqi women daring to live a western lifestyle. I thought it was obvious when I posted in the thread right under the article. A lot of women in ME countries don't get to live with the displays of freedom that western women do.  

I have first hand been told by an Iraqi man (here in the US) how women displaying freedom to yell in the streets would be handled. He said this as he was listening to US women yelling and partying in the streets. He continued to tell me they would be raped and killed.  I told him we weren't in Iraq of course.   This man is no stranger  to me.  I speak to him on a friendly basis on occasion when I am working.  

18 hours ago, jg1 said:

Before you call yourself a slave you may want to watch Roots, for a beginning and read some history on slaves before you compare yourself to one. 

I was not calling myself a slave, nor was I comparing myself to one.  Again, this thread is not about me.  It's not about you either. 

19 hours ago, cranman said:

@Goggles Are you referring to the Middle East or men in general?  I think overall the average man appreciates women and their willingness to prove that are capable of so much.  I know my wife is one of those women and I love her for it.   IMHO the media (pick your poison) love to exaggerate the supposed man agenda to keep women down.  Since I am a man, I think I can say most men don't feel this way. 

I am referring to the Middle East. I thought this would be obvious when I posted directly under the article in the thread.  Your opinion of the exaggeration of media is all yours.  Journalists are serious about finding the truth and telling it. Many have been killed for it. 

In the past I have followed humanitarian issues for Middle Eastern women. I don't follow it anymore. When I see articles like these in the thread, I will exercise my freedom of speech if I feel like it. I realize it is common for people to look the other way that are uncomfortable with the subject.  

• Thanks 4

On 10/12/2018 at 6:22 PM, pokerplayer said:

I stand not behind you, but beside you 100 % on your response and attitude of injustice to women in the ME.

pp

Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.

Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.

Just walk beside me and be my friend.

-Albert Camus

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

H  ere's an interesting theory about how the roles of the sexes came to be :   Thousands of years ago ,our ancestors the apes were vegetarians. a devastating drought occurred ,forcing the apes to come down from the trees and hunt animals for food . As  their babies now consumed protein,their brains became larger  ,and also  resulted in females having wider hips to   accommodate these larger brained babies . Now females couldn't run as fast as their male counterparts . These larger brained babies were smarter ,of course , but this in turn made them more dependant on their mommies for a longer period of time { think human babies} So the males became the hunters and the females stayed home with the kids .  

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 2