Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

New Iraq President Barham Saleh names Adel Abdul Mahdi as PM

2018/10/04 23:53

Number of readings  655

Section:  Iraq

Wisdom: Abdul Mahdi will set 10 priorities for his government and these are the most prominent

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Prime Minister-designate Adel Abdul-Mahdi will set 10 priorities for his next government, the official spokesman of the National Wisdom Movement, Nofal Abu Raghef, said Thursday (October 4, 2018).

Abu Raghef said in a press statement, "We believe that Abdul Mahdi will go on to set basic priorities up to 10 and the first three of them will be" security, economic and decentralization. "This is what I understand in terms of continuity and discussion, The need to grant broader powers to the provinces and the dismantling of bottlenecks in the way of dealing between the organs of the state and ministries. "

He stressed that the wisdom "did not reserve the nomination of Adel Abdul Mahdi, being independent and does not belong to a political bloc and wisdom is a key supporter of this government, and that the position of Ammar al-Hakim clear from the outset in this mandate."

He added: "We are not different with Muqtada al-Sadr, what he said today in twitter, which are general principles and not strange, as well as in the Alliance of Reform and Reconstruction are not different these descriptions," urging "political parties to accelerate support Abdul Mahdi in forming his government and reduce the limits of demands and overcome obstacles.

Abu Ragheif pointed out that "the technical aspects may be the subject of discussion in the nomination of the ministries and commissioning sites," noting that "there are political parties see that the ministers from outside the House of Representatives and we do not see it necessary and excluded members of the House of Representatives and deny them to take positions."

"We are with the political technocrats and if there is a politician there is no objection in addressing the position and operational sites and we may disagree in views, but it is not an obstacle in the formation of the government, and it is important to go within the constitutional ceiling for them," indicating "we want experience in this government, From a political point of view. "

"The wisdom stream is optimistic about the political scene and the experience of Presidents Barham Salih and Abdul-Mahdi is a source of optimism," Abu Raghef said, noting that "giving Abdul Mahdi a year is not new and he knows it in advance and accepts it, but rather adopts it to a large extent."

Follow the obelisk 

http://almasalah.com/ar/news/152146/الحكمة-عبد-المهدي-سيحدد-10-أولويات-لحكومته-وهذه-أبرزها

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Al-Khalisi: Abdul Mahdi's government will be "sectarian"

Jawad al-Khalisi

Iraqi cleric, Jawad al-Khalisi stated on Friday that the formation of the next government will be in the same way as the former one, on a sectarian basis, calling on officials to “prove him wrong” and take a step towards reform.

During Friday prayers at Kadhimiya, al-Khalisi stressed on the necessity to form a technocrat government, based on qualifications of the chosen ministers.

However, al-Khalisi stated that giving a chance to this new government is impractical, he wished that the new government would prove him wrong and fight terrorism.

The newly-elected Iraqi President Barham Salih has named veteran Shia politician Adil Abdul Mahdi as prime minister and tasked him with forming a new government.

According to Iraq’s constitution, the Prime Minister has exactly 30 days to form the government.

https://www.thebaghdadpost.com/en/Story/31968/Al-Khalisi-Abdul-Mahdi-s-government-will-be-sectarian

• Upvote 2

Can Iraq’s new PM deliver reforms and fight corruption?

October 05, 201819:34

Three weeks before he was named Iraq’s prime minister-designate, Adel Abdul-Mahdi wrote an editorial in which he argued that the position should not be about the person in the role, but instead should be all about “rules and institutions.” He said that the authority of ministers should be bound by regulations, and demanded a strong judiciary, the establishment of an anti-corruption police force, and auditors to surveil the government. However, judging by the parliamentary blocs that underwrote his selection this week, as well as his past performance, many Iraqis expressed skepticism over how far he can take the fight against corruption.
Abdul-Mahdi was previously vice president. And between 2014 and 2016, he served as oil minister.
Harith Hasan Al-Qarawee, a fellow at the Central European University in Budapest, questioned how the groups that put forth Abdul-Mahdi’s name would allow him to embark on the structural change that Iraq desperately needs. “Abdul-Mahdi’s premiership was the result of a deal that might not last, and that might leave him alone without any bloc behind him in Parliament.” Al-Qarawee went on to say that “without a bloc of his own, how can he sustain his support ... while at the same time embark on reforms by taking on the blocs that support him?”
Further complicating Abdul-Mahdi’s mission, according to the Iraqi scholar, is a “new factor — a restless Iraqi street.” Over the past few months, Basra and many other southern Iraqi cities have witnessed riots that sometimes turned deadly.

Throughout his long career, Adel Abdul-Mahdi has often switched sides with seeming ease. He started out as a Baathist, then became a communist before reinventing himself as an Islamist.

Hussain Abdul-Hussain

The experience of other countries that have witnessed sweeping changes might be instructive. Change usually is the result of a shift in the political culture, reflecting a swing in the popular mood. Had Abdul-Mahdi made it to the premiership at the head of a reform movement, or had he built a parliamentary coalition around his vision of reform, as spelled out in his editorial, change might conceivably be on the cards. But it is unlikely that a prime minister who owes his job to the same groups that have been accused of corrupting the state will be able to fix the country.
Judging by their past experience with Abdul-Mahdi, many Iraqis believe he is not even willing to reform. Social media has been buzzing with speculation. Haidar Hassan Kazem, a soccer player with a considerable following on Twitter, questioned the wisdom behind “rewarding” Abdul-Mahdi. “He served as the minister of finance, the minister of oil and as the vice president,” Kazem tweeted. “What has he achieved in his previous roles? And did he ever succeed in the past for us to reward him and make him prime minister?”
Abdul-Mahdi’s past failure has not been the only concern for Iraqis. Footage widely shared on social media shows him with fighters of the Badr militia, an Iranian-sponsored paramilitary group.
Iraqis are also unsettled by Abdul-Mahdi’s apparent political opportunism. Throughout his long career, the 76-year-old prime minister-designate has often switched sides with seeming ease. He started out as a Baathist, then became a communist before reinventing himself as an Islamist. In 2003, he began to recast himself as a moderate Islamist. He also styled himself as someone who could mediate between Washington and Tehran, a role that many other Iraqi politicians raced to play, hoping that such a triangulation would allow them to win the approval of both America and Iran and make them “consensus candidates” for top government jobs. And of course, consensus candidates, like Abdul-Mahdi, are usually colorless individuals who avoid taking difficult positions on equally difficult issues — which are legion in Iraq. It is not a status that augurs well in a prime minister.
Tired of endemic corruption and the failure of successive governments, Iraqis have little choice but to hope that any kind of change might be for the better, even if it involves the elevation of an establishment politician to the top spot. But with someone who has achieved as little as Abdul-Mahdi in his previous jobs and who owes his premiership to the corrupt politicians he promises to eliminate, it is only normal for Iraqis to express skepticism, if not outright rejection, of Abdul-Mahdi’s accession.

http://www.arabnews.com/node/1383106

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

I’m sure he’ll surface somewhere in this government.  I’ve been watching this corruption thing pretty carefully to see who they go after.  I hope it’s not just election rhetoric.  They need to go after people like Maliki and confiscate his 50 b. he stole from the Iraqi people.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, 3n1 said:

excellent articles ... anyone read or know if Maliki has weaseled his way into some political position or is his immunity evaporated ,,,,

I have been wondering the same thing........haven't heard a thing since the original "complaint" was filed by the former Integrity Committee Chairman....hope he is still alive!

On 10/3/2018 at 10:04 AM, Donziman said:

Mahdi has changed parties before when he felt they were going in

the wrong direction. The fact that he seems to have a skill set able to

deal with many groups may make him the perfect guy. I like the fact

that he is an economist and numbers guy.Saleh was Abadi's right hand man

and also a numbers guy. This is looking good for us. I think POTUS is playing 

with the oil prices with the idea of bringing Iraq back to it's GLORY DAYS

And I am talking glory like 3+

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Pitcher said:

I’m sure he’ll surface somewhere in this government.  I’ve been watching this corruption thing pretty carefully to see who they go after.  I hope it’s not just election rhetoric.  They need to go after people like Maliki and confiscate his 50 b. he stole from the Iraqi people.  

Agreed, Pitcher

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, 3n1 said:

excellent articles ... anyone read or know if Maliki has weaseled his way into some political position or is his immunity evaporated ,,,,

As of 15:45 pm Arizona time, not heard a peep about  Weasel Maliki . . . A couple of buddies I worked with in Kuwait ( seems like a lifetime ago ) said they were looking . . . Nada 3n1

Right now I'd go for sticking "M" in a cage full of rabid weasels though . . . I'm sure we can find more where this little guy came from.

images-13.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, ChuckFinley said:

The new President should be in charge of the RV. He pulled the trigger on the new PM in  2 hours. That has to be a world record.

" He pulled the trigger on the new PM in  2 hours. That has to be a world record." 

I can't recall ANYTHING happening with such Lightning Fast & Thunderclap Surprise in Iraqi Politics.

I'm still in a collar from the whiplash I got when I read the article. :D

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, 10 YEARS LATER said:

" He pulled the trigger on the new PM in  2 hours. That has to be a world record." 

I can't recall ANYTHING happening with such Lightning Fast & Thunderclap Surprise in Iraqi Politics.

Helps when you shut down the Mens Room until someone makes a move. 

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, 10 YEARS LATER said:

On a serious note, that is for sure. I am hoping that these guys mean business.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Pitcher said:

Agree 10 years.  He needs to be in jail or at minimum be forced to give back what’s left of his 50 b he stole. 

For a guy like Maliki, there's just gotta be a special sentence for the level of misdeeds and such he has perpretated,  and still continues to do. This guy is a one of kind A-hole.

• Thanks 2

On the positive side of things, Sadr has given Mahdi only 1 year to make major changes in their society and he puts corruption at the top of the list.  IIRC Sadr also has a long seated family hatred of Maliki which should fuel the pressure on Mahdi.  Add the Integrity Committee  accusations and this could coalesce into some real action.  (Fingers Crossed)

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, ChuckFinley said:

Maliki is wondering and he knows there is only one way out.

The Allman Brothers Band - One Way Out

Great call Chuck, on the Allman Brothers Live at the Fillmore East 1971.

I'll have to dig out the album tonight and take a stroll down memory lane :cool:

As for Maliki, IMHO, he's living on borrowed time, There are way too many clichés describing his pending fate, so  'nuff said.

Semper Fi:salute:

RV there yet ? :pirateship:

And a pleasant, restful weekend to all at DV :tiphat:

• Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Hotcurl said:

Great call Chuck, on the Allman Brothers Live at the Fillmore East 1971.

I'll have to dig out the album tonight and take a stroll down memory lane :cool:

As for Maliki, IMHO, he's living on borrowed time, There are way too many clichés describing his pending fate, so  'nuff said.

Semper Fi:salute:

RV there yet ? :pirateship:

And a pleasant, restful weekend to all at DV :tiphat:

Thanks, love the Allman Brothers. Eat a Peach and Brothrs and Sisters great stuff. Tied to the Whipping Post and Mellissa. Enjoy , I Wil be thinking of you.  

Edited by ChuckFinley
  • Upvote 1