Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

New Iraq President Barham Saleh names Adel Abdul Mahdi as PM

(Note: This is posted as an update to the original news posted here.)

Link - https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-45722528

Iraq's Prime Minister-designate Adel Abdul Mahdi (2nd Left) and Barham Saleh (2nd Right) walk out of the Iraqi parliament on 2 October 2018Image copyrightAFP
Image captionAdel Abdul Mahdi (2nd L) and Barham Saleh (2nd R) left the parliament chamber together

Iraq's new President Barham Saleh has named veteran Shia Islamist politician Adel Abdul Mahdi as prime minister-designate, ending months of deadlock.

Mr Saleh, a Kurdish former deputy prime minister, was elected to the largely ceremonial post by MPs late on Tuesday.

Soon afterwards he asked Mr Abdul Mahdi, who has served as vice-president and oil minister, to form a government.

The French-educated economist is the nominee of the two Shia-led blocs that won the most seats in May's elections.

He will have to oversee the reconstruction of Iraq following the four-year battle against the jihadist group Islamic State (IS), which left tens of thousands of homes and business destroyed and displaced more than three million people.

How was the president chosen?

Under a de facto power-sharing deal agreed in Iraq after the US-led invasion that overthrew Saddam Hussein in 2003, the speaker of parliament is always a Sunni Arab, the prime minister a Shia Arab, and the president a Kurd.

There were 20 candidates for the presidency, but it was effectively a contest between the nominees of the semi-autonomous Kurdistan Region's two main parties - the Kurdistan Democratic Party and the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan.

Mr Saleh was the PUK's choice, while the KDP backed Fuad Hussein, the longtime chief-of-staff to former Kurdistan regional president Massoud Barzani.

In the end, Mr Saleh won 219 of the votes cast by the 273 MPs who attended Tuesday's session, according to the Speaker Mohammed al-Halbousi.

Mr Saleh was reportedly the preferred candidate of MPs because of his perceived stance on independence for the Kurdistan Region, a year after the federal government and judiciary rejected the result of a referendum called by Mr Barzani in which residents overwhelmingly backed secession.

Who is Mr Saleh?

The 58 year old joined the PUK in 1976, when it was an underground organisation, and fled Iraq four years later for the UK.

After studying for a PhD in statistics in the UK, he became the PUK's spokesman there. He then served as the Kurdish envoy to the US from 1991 to 2001, before returning to Kurdistan to lead a PUK-led government.

Barham Saleh reviews an honour guard during a presidential handover ceremony in Baghdad on 3 October 2018Image copyrightAFP
Image captionBarham Saleh reviewed an honour guard at a handover ceremony on Wednesday

Between 2004 and 2005 Mr Saleh was one of the deputy prime ministers in Iraq's interim government. He also served in that role from 2006 to 2009. He was then prime minister of the Kurdistan Regional Government until 2012.

In 2017, he broke away from the PUK after the death of its founder, Jalal Talabani, and formed a new Kurdish opposition party, the Coalition for Democracy and Justice. But last month, Mr Saleh resigned from the CDJ and rejoined the PUK.

Why did he ask Mr Abdul Mahdi to be PM?

Under Iraq's constitution, Mr Saleh had 15 days to invite the nominee of the largest bloc to form a government. But he immediately tapped Mr Abdul Mahdi.

He was the consensus candidate of the two Shia-led blocs both claiming to be the largest in parliament - one led by the populist cleric Moqtada Sadr and outgoing Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi, the other by the Iran-backed paramilitary leader Hadi al-Amiri and former Prime Minister Nouri Maliki.

Mr Sadr welcomed the compromise, tweeting: "Iraq is bigger than the biggest bloc."

Who is Mr Abdul Mahdi?

The 76 year old fled Iraq in the 1960s after being condemned to death for his political activities, and settled in France. There, he gained a PhD in economics, worked for think-tanks and edited magazines.

After flirting with Maoist politics, he joined the Supreme Islamic Iraqi Council - a powerful Shia Islamist organisation with close ties to Iran.

Adel Abdul Mahdi sits in the Iraqi parliament in Baghdad on 2 October 2018Image copyrightEPA
Image captionMr Abdul Mahdi has been a political independent since last year

He returned to Iraq after Saddam was ousted, and as finance minister in the 2004-5 interim government he persuaded international creditors to write off Iraqi debt.

Mr Abdul Mahdi was tipped to become prime minister after the 2005 elections, but he was instead chosen to be vice-president - a position he held until 2011.

He also served for two years as oil minister under Mr Abadi, resigning in 2016 amid what he called "an atmosphere of anxiety and chaos" triggered by the decision to replace political appointees in the cabinet with unaffiliated technocrats.

Mr Abdul Mahdi was a member of SIIC until last year, when its leader Ammar al-Hakim left and established a new party called the National Wisdom Movement.

• Thanks 4
  • Upvote 13

34 minutes ago, Adam Montana said:

Yo Mahdi’s So Phat She Was Standing On The Corner And The Police Ran Up And Told Her To Break It Up ! :o 

:D  :D  :D 

• Haha 6

Mahdi has changed parties before when he felt they were going in

the wrong direction. The fact that he seems to have a skill set able to

deal with many groups may make him the perfect guy. I like the fact

that he is an economist and numbers guy.Saleh was Abadi's right hand man

and also a numbers guy. This is looking good for us. I think POTUS is playing 

with the oil prices with the idea of bringing Iraq back to it's GLORY DAYS

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 11

11 minutes ago, Donziman said:

Mahdi has changed parties before when he felt they were going in

the wrong direction. The fact that he seems to have a skill set able to

deal with many groups may make him the perfect guy. I like the fact

that he is an economist and numbers guy.Saleh was Abadi's right hand man

and also a numbers guy. This is looking good for us. I think POTUS is playing 

with the oil prices with the idea of bringing Iraq back to it's GLORY DAYS

I'm still finalizing my research on the guy, but I'm leaning that way as well. :twothumbs: 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Donziman said:

Saleh was Abadi's right hand man

and also a numbers guy.

the Saleh ur referencing i think is / was the economic advisor to abadi and was shabibi front man at the cbi ( Mohamed Salah )

Barham Saleh that was just put in place as president is a Kurd completely different man .... I may be all wrong though getting confused with all the Selah' moving about lol ... cheers

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, 3n1 said:

the Saleh ur referencing i think is / was the economic advisor to abadi and was shabibi front man at the cbi ( Mohamed Salah )

Barham Saleh that was just put in place as president is a Kurd completely different man .... I may be all wrong though getting confused with all the Selah' moving about lol ... cheers

You’re right. Shabibi’s, and more recently, Abadi’s, guy, is Mohammed Saleh. Barham Saleh is a totally different person.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Adam Montana said:

He was the consensus candidate of the two Shia-led blocs both claiming to be the largest in parliament - one led by the populist cleric Moqtada Sadr and outgoing Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi, the other by the Iran-backed paramilitary leader Hadi al-Amiri and former Prime Minister Nouri Maliki.

One step forward and two steps back, but this time lets make it four years back things have been going to good as of late.

1 hour ago, Donziman said:

Again thanks for pointing out we have several Saleh's in play here.

But if he is a Kurd this may help us in getting Carbon  law passed.

Here's hoping anyway.

29 minutes ago, Laid Back said:

Adil Abdul Mahdi. The new PM. He is an Economist. he was formerly served as the finance minister and Oil minister.

Go new GOI

Go important laws

Go cbi

Go new monetary policy 

Go RV

I was thinking along the same lines on both of these :twothumbs:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 10

2 hours ago, Donziman said:

Again thanks for pointing out we have several Saleh's in play here.

But if he is a Kurd this may help us in getting Carbon  law passed.

Here's hoping anyway.

under a system that was established while the U.S. was in charge the Prime minister was to be shiite majority , the Speaker is to be sunni and mostly a ceremonial position the President of parliament was to be kurdish kind of a power sharing type of goi on paper so to speak , there has always been a kurd in the mix but usually the PM sets the tone on what happens , hope this time they got strong leaders to advance the country forward ..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Pitcher said:

Thanks to Donziman, I was thinking the same thing but you put it out there.  Appreciate you and Laid  Back giving us your thoughts 

The Boss seems to agree too, thank you Adam!!!

Anytime my friend Pitcher, thanks for your input.!

1 hour ago, NoviceInvestor said:

I agree ..Perfect choice but at age 76 I hope he goes the distance

I'm not worried about his age, he don't have to do any physical labor. He knows about economy, finance and oil.... All we need to get

the HCL done.

Thanks for your comment my friend.!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

On 10/3/2018 at 6:12 PM, Laid Back said:

Anytime my friend Pitcher, thanks for your input.!

I'm not worried about his age, he don't have to do any physical labor. He knows about economy, finance and oil.... All we need to get

the HCL done.

Thanks for your comment my friend.!

Agreed.

Oh, your signature...

Always respect another's opinion and another's point of view. (Even though they are probably wrong)

I felt like something was missing :lol: 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

Analyst: The success of Abdul-Mahdi mortgaged to emerge from the mantle of political blocs

12:44 - 05/10/2018
%D8%B9%D8%A7%D8%AF%D9%84-%D8%B9%D8%A8%D8

Information / Private ..

The political analyst Hazem al-Bawi, Friday, that the success of Prime Minister Adel Abdul-Mahdi depends on getting out of the cloak of the blocks even those that brought him to the power of the decision, indicating that Ali Abdul-Mahdi took the lesson from the last stage.

"The success of Prime Minister-designate Adel Abdul-Mahdi depends on getting out from under the cloak of the blocks, even those that brought him to the decision," Al-Bawi said in a statement.

He added that "Abdul Mahdi took the lesson from the last stage, which saw clear control by the parties, which were considered to be credited with bringing the first official in the country to the chair of the decision."

"The prime minister's success depends on the citizen's feeling that there is a qualitative leap in services in terms of electricity, water, roads, ration, health and education as top priorities that should be clearly felt by the citizen since the early days of taking over the mission."

He explained that "the financial abundance in Iraq now due to the high oil prices sweeping and deny the continued economic austerity imposed on the citizen, especially the sections of employees and retirees."

He stressed that "the possession of Abdul-Mahdi theories of major economy allows him the opportunity to promote the reality of the national economy faltered by the lack of services and the delay projects that burdened the citizens and turned their lives into hell." End 25 n

http://www.almaalomah.com/2018/10/05/351313/

2018/10/05 10:10

Number of readings  60

Section:  Iraq

Reformation: Abdul Mahdi asked the political blocs to nominate four names for each ministry

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Prime Minister-designate Adel Abdul-Mahdi has asked political forces to provide four candidates for each bloc for each ministerial portfolio, a deputy of the Alliance for Reform and Reconstruction said Friday. On the subject points, referring to the reliance on "competence, experience, testimony and competence." 

"Abdul-Mahdi will be able to resolve his Cabinet and submit it to the House of Representatives for a vote in a short time will not exceed the month," said the deputy in the bloc of "Biyarek al-Khair" in an interview followed by the obelisk, adding that it will include competent personalities and technocrats working to provide services Of the people. " 

The emirate explained that "Iraq and after the end of a page is waiting for a large building page correctly, and this will not be achieved without attention to economic and service aspects basically," asserting that they are "strong factors to build the country properly. 

The emirate added that "there is information we have not fully confirmed that Abdul Mahdi asked the political forces to nominate each one of them four candidates for each ministerial portfolio and left the option of liquidation among those names after reviewing the curriculum vitae," pointing out that "objections and rejection will be Present but will not affect the process of forming a government that will be put during the next sessions of the House of Representatives to vote. " 

The emirate pointed out that "the mechanism of nomination of ministers to the next government that has been developed may make the issue of points does not depend on it and perhaps depends on the subject of competence, experience, testimony and competence more than dictates and the division of points." 

The President of the Republic Barham Saleh Adel Abdul Mahdi, Tuesday, October 2, 2018, to form the next government.

Follow the obelisk 

http://almasalah.com/ar/news/152152/الاصلاح-عبد-المهدي-طلب-من-الكتل-السياسية-ترشيح-اربع-اسماء-لكل-وزارة