Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Parliament elects "Barham Saleh" as President of the Republic of Iraq

yota691

2 hours ago, yota691 said:

Never have been a big Kurdistan fan because their as corrupt as Baghdad but obviously have given them more credit for having a brain than I should have. I can see to a degree for trying to leverage with Baghdad on policies but don't be stupid. I thought our Secretary of State had you people in line prior to this parliament meeting, guess not...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, DoD said:

Never have been a big Kurdistan fan because their as corrupt as Baghdad but obviously have given them more credit for having a brain than I should have. I can see to a degree for trying to leverage with Baghdad on policies but don't be stupid. I thought our Secretary of State had you people in line prior to this parliament meeting, guess not...

As an artical stated years ago and no one wanted to hear it. Iraq is 💯% corrupt and Kurdistan is about 70% currupt. Now, don't know how it is.

With the auctions, still very corrupt.

Edited by jg1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jg1 said:

As an artical stated years ago and no one wanted to hear it. Iraq is 💯% corrupt and Kurdistan is about 70% currupt. Now, don't know how it is.

With the auctions, still very corrupt.

I believe I saw a report a year or so back, wherein Maliki was listed as the most corrupt of all Iraqi politicians, but Massoud Barzani was a clear second with some $40+ B. in illegal income.  I would love to see that report again.  IIRC Allawi and Jubori made the list as well.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

:twothumbs: :twothumbs: Yota and Butifldrm for the blow by blow up to the minute of how to through

a major temper tantrum Iraqi politician style. :lol:   I often wondered if they practice in front of a mirror

the art of whining and or arguing.   A thousand +'s for all that you do for the DV members benefit.  :hug: :hug:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

September 3, 2018 / 4:58 PM / Updated 2 hours ago

Iraqi parliament holds first session since May election, but fails to elect speaker

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Iraq’s parliament held its first session since May’s national election on Monday but failed to elect a speaker, what should have been the first step toward forming a new government.

Iraqi lawmakers are seen during the first session of the new Iraqi parliament in Baghdad, Iraq September 3, 2018. REUTERS/Stringer

Lawmakers were supposed to elect the speaker and two deputies, at the start of a 90-day process outlined in the constitution.

Sponsored

But with competing political blocs each claiming to hold a parliamentary majority, no vote was held on the appointments. The temporary leader of the assembly said it would remain in session until Tuesday.

Iraqi President Fouad Masoum speaks during the first session of the new Iraqi parliament in Baghdad, Iraq September 3, 2018. REUTERS/Stringer

The new cohort of Iraqi lawmakers was sworn in after a formal handover ceremony attended by the leaders of the main electoral blocs, including Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi who addressed the gathered MPs of the 329-seat body.

On Sunday, lawmakers led by populist cleric Moqtada al-Sadr and Abadi announced they had managed to form an alliance that would give them a majority bloc in parliament.

Hours later, a rival grouping led by militia commander Hadi al-Amiri and former Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki responded by saying it had formed its own alliance that would be the largest bloc, after it persuaded some lawmakers to defect from the rival group.

Amiri and Maliki are Iran’s two most prominent allies in Iraq. Abadi is seen as the preferred candidate of the United States, while Sadr portrays himself as a nationalist who rejects both American and Iranian influence.

Both groups continued to claim they held the majority on Monday, complicating the election of a speaker.

Iraqis voted in May in their first parliamentary election since the defeat of Islamic State’s self-declared caliphate, but a contentious recount process delayed the announcement of final results until earlier this month.

Reporting by Raya Jalabi; Additional reporting by Ahmed Rasheed; Editing by Andrew Roche

• Like 2

2 hours ago, darwinatridge said:

This is the way I see it. Maliki tried to use ISIS and Iran to make himself into another dictator. He is still trying to do so. Until he is dealt with permanently this investment may go no where

1 hour ago, DinarDavo said:

Couldn't agree more....

For sure, the guy is just plan such.  

• Upvote 1

Abadi congratulates winning MPs, calls for further cooperation

Iraqi incumbent Prime Minister Haidar al-Abadi congratulated on Monday the newly-elected members of Parliament for winning voters' confidence, stressing the importance of enhancing security, stability and rebuilding the Iraqi state in light of further effective cooperation with the coming government.

These remarks came in the Premier's speech during the Parliament's inaugural session.

He added that the coming government is tasked with maintaining Iraq as a unified state, secure more job opportunities and provide services in all Iraqi provinces.

Al-Abadi expressed his pride in liberating the Iraqi territories from terrorism, making his firm promises to provide better life for the Iraqi people in the coming period.

https://www.thebaghdadpost.com/en/Story/31301/Abadi-congratulates-winning-MPs-calls-for-further-cooperation

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Power needs to be handed over per democracy: Salim al-Jabouri

Incumbent Speaker of Parliament Salim al-Jabouri said in his speech during the inauguration of the first parliamentary session that the previous parliament had worked in tandem with the executive branch in the fight against "the worst enemy of humanity, ISIS”, Rudaw reported. 

“Power needs to be handed over per democracy, and our own desires shouldn't be involved,” emphasized the Sunni politician. 

He added that the parliament's work is greatly hampered by weak laws and regulations limiting its legislative power, but despite the obstructions, there have been achievements.

Jabouri apologized to the people for the reforms in Iraq being stalled and taking too long, emphasizing that economic growth, and rebuilding has to start now.

Sunni areas were the most devastated by the ISIS conflict.

At the conclusion of his speech, he called on the oldest MP-elect, 79-year-old Mohammed Ali Zaini, to preside over the first session of the new parliament.

https://www.thebaghdadpost.com/en/Story/31303/Power-needs-to-be-handed-over-per-democracy-Salim-al-Jabouri

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Pitcher said:

Chuck, nothing is easy in Iraq but the events of the last Few days have been good for us imo

i would also like to thank Buti and Yota for the play by play updates on the government formation. Great job and many thanks!!!!

I would have to agree and I would like to echo your settlements referencing Buti and Yota.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

119967.jpg?width=750&&height=375

2018/09/03 21:17
  • Number of readings 416
  • Section: Iraq
  •  

Member of wisdom: Federal Court's response on the largest bloc is not delayed

BAGHDAD (AP) - A member of the wartime delegation of the al-Hakimah movement, Abdullah al-Zaidi, said Monday (September 3, 2018) that the Federal Court's response to the largest bloc may not be delayed under popular pressure.

Zaidi said in a press statement that "there are meetings continued and has not stopped since the adjournment of the meeting and will continue in order to resolve the issue of the largest bloc and proceed to resolve the constitutional obligations within the specified periods."

"We want to join the influential national forces to the largest bloc of the Alliance of Reform and Reconstruction, especially that the Federal Court's response to the form of the largest bloc may not be delayed in light of the continued popular pressure to demand services."

The parliament's first speaker, Mohamed Ali Zinni, opened the first session of the parliament on Wednesday with 297 deputies.

The political scene in Iraq is a wide movement among the winning forces in the elections that took place on 12 May 2018 to form the largest bloc in preparation for its mandate to form the next government.

Follow the obelisk

http://almasalah.com/ar/news/149036/عضو-بالحكمة-رد-المحكمة-الاتحادية-بشأن-الكتلة-الاكبر-لا-يتأخر

• Upvote 2

119958.jpg?width=750&&height=375

2018/09/03 19:21
  • Number of readings 195
  • APlus.png
  •  

MP Saeb Khaddar: The other bloc falsified my signature and committed to reform and construction

Baghdad / MP: MP Saeb Khedar, on Monday, September 3, 2018, his commitment to the bloc reform and construction.

Khaddar said in a press statement, "I am committed to signing with the bloc of reform and construction," noting that "the other bloc forged my signature."

It is noteworthy that the MP for the National Wisdom Movement Hassan Mohammad Kazem revealed in a statement that "some sites calculated on the media traded signatures attributed to a number of MPs who are planning the formation of the largest bloc under the name of" coalition building "and included these fabricated lists, many names that are invalid My name was forged with a forged signature on my behalf. "

"In this regard, I assure everyone that I have nothing to do with this fake signature and I am a member of the parliamentary bloc of wisdom. I ran and won the elections in the list of the national wisdom stream. I express my total rejection of this cheap and unprofessional method in a manner that shames modesty. On the value of those responsible, and I will file a legal complaint to the parties that have done so. "

And decided the President of the House of Representatives older Mohamed Ali Zinni, Monday, September 3, 2018, keep the parliament session open next Tuesday.

Follow the obelisk

http://almasalah.com/ar/news/149024/النائب-صائب-خدر-زورت-الكتلة-الاخرى-توقيعي-وملتزم-مع-الاصلاح-والبناء

• Upvote 1

119957.jpg?width=750&&height=375

2018/09/03 18:54
  • Number of readings 621
  •  

Source reveals dozens of forged signatures within the construction alliance

BAGHDAD / A source familiar with the names and figures on dozens of forged signatures within the coalition of construction, which is Monday, September 3, 2018, between the Fatah alliance and a coalition of state law and some political forces.

The source said in a press statement that "after complaints filed forged signatures, a preliminary check was made of the list of signatures of the construction coalition, and the presence of 37 signatures, between the duplicate and falsified and unnamed site ."

The coalition of "State of Law" led by Nuri al-Maliki, and the alliance, "conquest" led by Hadi al-Amiri, and political forces, announced on Monday, reached an agreement on the formation of the largest bloc in parliament, under the name of "coalition of construction," and includes 145 deputies.

http://almasalah.com/ar/news/149023/مصدر-يكشف-عن-عشرات-التواقيع-المزورة-ضمن-تحالف-البناء

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

119946.jpg?width=750&&height=375

2018/09/03 16:40
  • Number of readings 407
  •  

Mohamed Tamim denies joining the Fath Alliance

BAGHDAD / MP Mehmet Tamim denied on Monday (September 3, 2018) what the media reported about his joining with MP Ziad al-Janabi to the Fatah alliance, while stressing their adherence to the bloc of reform and reconstruction .

Tamim said in a press interview, "There is no truth to what was reported by the media about joining with MP Ziad al-Janabi to the Fatah alliance ." "We are committed to the bloc of reform and reconstruction and its approach," Tamimsaid.

The head of the House of Representatives, the President of the Age, Mohamed Ali Zinni decided, Monday, during the session of the House of Representatives in its fourth session to open the nomination for the new Council .

Follow the obelisk - local media

http://almasalah.com/ar/news/149011/محمد-تميم-ينفي-انضمامه-لتحالف-الفتح

• Upvote 1

119961.jpg?width=750&&height=375

2018/09/03 20:06
  • Number of readings 2831
  •  

The largest bloc .. signatures of deputies or heads of blocs .. controversy resolved by the Federal Court

BAGHDAD / The obelisk: The new parliament held its first meeting, Monday, September 3, 2018, after waiting a few weeks, until the adoption of the Federal Court of the final results after appeals to elect elections in some constituencies .

During the session, there was controversy over the naming of the largest bloc due to the different methods, to the extent that some parties challenged the unconstitutionality, while some of the names of the names were falsified. MP Saeb Khaddar confirmed on Monday his commitment to the reform and construction bloc, noting that " "He said.

For his part, said Abdul-Malik al-Husseini, an expert in parliamentary affairs, that the Federal Court is to resolve the issue of the largest bloc, where the law provides that the largest bloc in the parliament is to submit requests signed by the heads of the allied blocs within this larger bloc and this coalition, Which will be resolved.

He added Husseini, that the problem raised by the other party is to collect signatures of deputies from within the blocks and believe that the number is the largest bloc within the House of Representatives, they talk about the largest bloc signatures of deputies and not signatures of the heads of blocks, and this is not true and the Federal Court is from This will be decided after the request comes from the House of Representatives. Therefore, the largest bloc will not be formed until after the opinion of the Court, which may take from 7-10 days. The session will remain open until the Speaker of Parliament is elected. Senna, who will run the scene until the new president is elected .

He pointed out that the current president of the parliament, which was chosen by age, ends his powers by electing the new president and his two deputies, pointing out that things are going this way .

The Speaker of Parliament and his deputies are to be elected. The President of the House of Representatives opens the door for candidacy for the post of President of the Republic. He gives three days to receive the nominated names and sends them to the Federal Court. After approval by the Court, the Speaker gives three days to appeal before the Federal Court. , And then assigns the President of the Republic the largest bloc naming the Prime Minister and after the formation of the government.

He continued: "If the speaker is not elected within the period specified by the law will enter the country in a state of constitutional vacuum and the consequent special laws.

Laws regulating 

Husseini said that after the end of the process of elections to the House of Representatives, it should be noted some of the periods that the Constitution is required to abide by, which are the following:

- The Independent High Commission for Elections, immediately after the resolution of appeals to send lists of winners of the membership of the House of Representatives to the Federal Supreme Court for approval through the verification of names in terms of constitutional and legal in accordance with its competence provided for in Article (93 / VII) of the Constitution, there is no constitutional obligation or constitutional time And that it depends on the size and type of objections submitted, but under previous experiences, the validation process does not take long.

In this regard we refer to the ruling of Federal Supreme Court No. (56 / Federal / 2011), which states that "the process of the elected (deputy) is carried out after the announcement of the election results of the Independent High Electoral Commission, and after the ratification of the Federal Supreme Court on the declared result, The right winner provided for in Article (50) of the Constitution. "

- After the results of the elections are ratified, the President of the Republic shall call within 15 days from the date of ratification by a presidential decree the new Council of Representatives to convene under the chairmanship of the oldest member to elect a chairman and two deputies by direct secret ballot, in accordance with the provisions of Article (54) of the Constitution.

- In the selection of the Speaker of the House of Representatives and his deputies by the mechanism referred to above, the Council of Representatives moves to choose the President of the Republic in accordance with the context provided for in Article 70 of the Constitution and in the law of the provisions for nomination for the post of President of the Republic No. (8) of 2012, (3) three days from the date of the election of the Speaker of the House of Representatives and his deputies in its new legislative session, ie, three days after the date of the first session of the Council of Representatives.

Candidates for the Presidency of the Republic shall submit their applications within three days from the date of announcing the commencement of the candidacy. The Presidency of the House of Representatives shall then announce the names of the candidates who have met the legal requirements. The person who does not appear in his name may appeal to the Federal Supreme Court within three days of the declaration, During the three days of its registration and its decision is binding and binding and then the process of choosing the President of the Republic in accordance with the mechanism prescribed by the Constitution and the law and at the completion of the choice lead the President of the Republic elected to the constitutional oath in front of the House of Representatives and in the presence of the President of the Federal Supreme Court, To the provisions of Article (10) of the Law of the provisions of candidacy for the post of President of the Republic referred to above.

- The President of the Republic assigns the candidate of the most numerous parliamentary bloc to form the Council of Ministers within (15) days of his election based on Article (76 / I) of the Constitution, which confirmed the ruling of Federal Supreme Court No. (25 / Federal / 2010).

(30) days from the date of commissioning to nominate the members of his ministry in accordance with Article (76 / II) of the Constitution. If the President fails to appoint a new candidate from the same bloc within fifteen days, III) of the Constitution.

Upon completion of the ministerial reshuffle, the Prime Minister-designate shall present the names of the members of his cabinet and the ministerial platform to the House of Representatives and shall hold confidence in the approval of the ministers alone and on the ministerial platform by an absolute majority in accordance with Article 76 / IV of the Constitution, No. (93 / Federal / 2010).

In case of failure of the Ministry of trust, the President of the Republic to assign another candidate to form the ministry within fifteen days, in accordance with Article (76 / V) of the Constitution.

(8 / Federal / 2018), which stressed that the elections must be held in the House of Representatives on time, and the second provision No. (89 / Federal / 2010), which confirmed that the date of the first meeting is the beginning of the chapter And the other dates, ie the session chaired by the President of the Age.

Follow the obelisk 

http://almasalah.com/ar/news/149030/الكتلة-الأكبر--بتواقيع-النواب-أم-رؤساء-الكتل-جدل-تحسمه-المحكمة-الاتحادية

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Butifldrm said:

119957.jpg?width=750&&height=375

2018/09/03 18:54
  • Number of readings 621
  •  

Source reveals dozens of forged signatures within the construction alliance

BAGHDAD / A source familiar with the names and figures on dozens of forged signatures within the coalition of construction, which is Monday, September 3, 2018, between the Fatah alliance and a coalition of state law and some political forces.

The source said in a press statement that "after complaints filed forged signatures, a preliminary check was made of the list of signatures of the construction coalition, and the presence of 37 signatures, between the duplicate and falsified and unnamed site ."

The coalition of "State of Law" led by Nuri al-Maliki, and the alliance, "conquest" led by Hadi al-Amiri, and political forces, announced on Monday, reached an agreement on the formation of the largest bloc in parliament, under the name of "coalition of construction," and includes 145 deputies.

http://almasalah.com/ar/news/149023/مصدر-يكشف-عن-عشرات-التواقيع-المزورة-ضمن-تحالف-البناء

What? I can't believe it! Maliki filing forged signatures???? Imagine that lol.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• yota691 changed the title to Parliament elects "Barham Saleh" as President of the Republic of Iraq
  • Adam Montana locked this topic