Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Anyone here retired?

Republicans admit they’ll slash Medicare, Social Security to pay for their tax cuts

Slowly but surely, Republicans that supported the trillion dollar Trump tax bill are revealing their true motivations: slashing Medicare and Social Security.

During a Sunday interview with CNBC’s John Harwood, Rep. Steve Stivers (R-OH) urged entitlement reform as the deficit continues to balloon as a result of the GOP tax cuts.

“I do think we need to deal with some of our spending,” Stivers said. “We’ve got try to figure out how to spend less.”

Stivers, who also serves as chairman of the National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC), is a self-proclaimed “budget hawk” and frequently criticized national debt levels under the Obama administration. Despite his previous trepidation at increasing the deficit, he voted in favor of a costly tax bill that even the White House admitted would not pay for itself over time.

In his interview with CNBC, Stivers admitted this as well saying, “I don’t think that tax cuts, themselves, can grow the economy for 20 or 30 years.”

But Republican politicians did not go into the tax bill vote blind. There were multiple studies released after the bill was drafted that showed massive tax cuts for the wealthy would only add to the deficit.

The conservative-leaning Tax Foundation released a report the week of the tax bill vote that found the GOP bill would lead to a 1.7 percent increase in gross domestic product over the long term and bring in an extra $600 billion in revenue. Even after factoring in that growth, however, the deficit would still total $448 billion over the next decade.

The nonpartisan Joint Committee on Taxation specifically shot down the idea that the bill would pay for itself, stating in analysis on December 11 last year that it would increase federal interest costs by $51 billion over ten years and would cost approximately $1 trillion.

Stivers is far from the first Republican to hint at cutting crucial programs to help drive down the national debt, but he is the first to specifically link it to the financial failures of the tax bill.

House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-WI)

House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-WI) said outright last year that Medicare and Medicaid were his next targets for 2018, following the passage of the tax bill.

“We’re going to have to get back next year at entitlement reform, which is how you tackle the debt and the deficit,” Ryan said during December appearance on Ross Kaminsky’s talk radio show. “…Frankly, it’s the health care entitlements that are the big drivers of our debt, so we spend more time on the health care entitlements — because that’s really where the problem lies, fiscally speaking.”

Sen. Pat Toomey (R-PA)

Immediately following the tax bill’s passage in December last year, CNN’s Jake Tapper asked Sen. Pat Toomey (R-PA) how he could simultaneously vote for a huge tax cut for the rich while advocating cuts to Medicare and Medicaid.

“We’ve got entitlement spending that is not sustainable,” Toomey replied. “These big spending programs that are growing faster than the economy. You can’t tax your way out of that problem. You’ve got to make some curbs.”

Sen. John Thune (R-SD)

Sen. John Thune (R-SD) told the Washington Post early last December that Congress could consider entitlement reforms as means to cut government spending and reduce the deficit stemming from the tax bill.

“If we’re going to do something about spending and debt, we have to get faster growth in the economy — which I hope tax reform will achieve. But we have also got to take on making our entitlement programs more sustainable,” Thune said. “I think there is support, generally, here for entitlement reform.”

Rep. Tom Cole (R-OK)

Cole has admitted in the past he is not a “deep economic thinker,” yet believes Medicare and Social Security, rather than huge handouts for the wealthiest Americans, are what the country should be concerned about.

“If someone wants to get serious about debt, come talk to me about entitlements,” he explained. “Tax cuts produce growth, entitlement spending doesn’t.”

That Republicans have their eye on slashing government programs comes as no surprise, of course. Shortly after Congress passed the tax bill, op-ed columnist Bryce Covert of The New York Times warned of the “Trojan horse” hidden in the legislation that would serve as a setup for steep cuts.

“Republican leaders have wanted to do this for a long time. Mr. Ryan has been salivating over cutting Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security for as long as he’s had a political career. Mr. Trump’s 2018 budget proposal, released well ahead of the tax legislation, named welfare reform’ one of its core pillars,” she wrote. “…Now that they’ve succeeded in passing a tax package that will reduce government revenues so much, the ensuing cost will serve as the excuse to get everything else they want.”

https://banned site link - malware reported.org/republicans-voted-tax-bill-cut-medicare-social-security-pay-488a9bcbba7d/

Imagine, they will cut social security and medicare to pay for tax cuts going to the wealthy and corporations. Forget those middle-class Americans who worked their entire lives to make America great. We need to reduce spending, but forget about creating income. They are worried about spending so they push a new 717 billion dollar spending bill for the military, but our vets are forgotten. We spend more on military than the next 30 countries combined. We have troops in 150 countries... I think we could find a few bucks laying around to help our vets and seniors. JMHO

B/A

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 6

I am retired.....not worried about any of this....I would like to see the VA work more efficiently......btw....retired doesn' mean you're a slug......just over 65...the Seniors are politically active....with lots of money.....neither side is going to screw them......unless they are really stupid.....JMO...CL

• Upvote 4

Thanks for the link ba....does this site assume that im not “thinking”? ....or i dont know how to “think”....maybe this site will tell me why to “think”?.....i dont think i want any organization telling  me how to think by telling me to “think progressive “

jmho

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 9:18 PM, coorslite21 said:

.retired doesn' mean you're a slug......just over 65...the Seniors are politically active....with lots of mone

I didn't know all seniors are wealthy... I guess if you are wealthy you don't need help and should give up your benefits... That would help America and it debt. Why would wealthy people want social security and medicare?

B/A

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 5

If you’re not sure what Medicaid is or who it covers, you’re not alone. Many Americans think the program provides health care just for poor working-age adults or children.

In fact, Medicaid also helps millions of older Americans stay healthy and economically secure every day.

More than 1 in 7 low-income seniors with Medicare (or 6.9 million people aged 65+) rely on Medicaid for their health and long-term care. For these seniors, Medicaid:

• Pays for long-term services and supports at home, in the community, and in nursing homes
  • Helps pay their Medicare premiums, deductibles, and co-pays
  • Often pays for health services not covered by Medicare, such as vision, hearing, and dental care

Without Medicaid, these low-income seniors would be unable to afford their health and long-term care costs, even with Medicare.

How Medicaid works today

Medicaid is jointly funded by the federal government and the states. The federal government pays states for a specific percentage of program costs.

The federal match varies by state based on factors like each state’s per capita income. But at the end of the day, all states are guaranteed to receive federal matching funds that cover a percentage of their actual Medicaid costs. This keeps Medicaid affordable for states.

States structure and run their own Medicaid programs according to federal guidelines. All states must cover a certain set of mandatory benefits, but they can choose to add optional benefits, as well. While nursing home services are mandatory, home and community-based services are optional, and states currently have a lot of flexibility in how they offer those.

How a current proposal would change Medicaid

Congress is considering changing the way Medicaid is structured as part of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) replacement proposal, even though these financing changes are unrelated to the ACA.

On Feb. 16, House Republican leaders released an ACA repeal and replacement plan that would limit how much the federal government gives states for Medicaid by setting a fixed amount per person. The plan is most likely to set “per capita caps” that would be based on a preset formula and would no longer cover a percentage of states’ actual Medicaid expenses.

What are the pros and cons of this approach?

On the one side, the caps would reduce government spending, give states more flexibility, and make federal funding for Medicaid more predictable. Since funding would be capped per person, if costs rise more than expected, the federal government would not have to pay more.

But advocates for low-income seniors see many downsides to this approach. These include:

• Less funding overall for Medicaid: Since federal contributions would no longer be based on a percentage of actual costs, caps would shift the risk of rising health costs onto states, which are already hard-pressed to cover their residents. Last year, the House budget proposal capped federal spending and cut Medicaid by $913 billion over 10 years. To make up for this funding loss, it’s likely that states would have to make unprecedented cuts in eligibility, services, and already low payments to health care providers.
  • Even fewer dollars as the population ages: A key concern is how fixed caps would be set and grow to cover the different health needs of different populations over time. Previous per capita cap proposals did not adjust for a rapidly aging population. An increasing number of seniors reaching their 80s and 90s are much more likely to need expensive nursing home care. Over time, this longevity boom could be devastating to state budgets because federal contributions will no longer keep pace with greater needs.
  • Reduced consumer protections and innovation: Proponents of caps say they would give states greater flexibility. But advocates fear they could undermine current federal consumer protection provisions. For example, although details are not yet available, states may be allowed to impose unaffordable cost sharing on low-income beneficiaries, reduce nursing home quality standards, or require children of nursing home residents to help pay for care. Federal caps also could make it more difficult for states to make up-front investments to achieve long-term savings, such as developing innovative delivery system reforms or strengthening public health and prevention.
  • Uneven funding for states: Because health care costs vary across the country, individual states would get very different federal contributions under a per capita cap. Some states could lose out, such as those that are locked into a low per capita rate at the start. For example, current federal per capita spending for aged and disabled beneficiaries is $40,757 in the District of Columbia, $23,100 in New York, $4,520 in Nevada, and $4,696 in New Hampshire. Each state also experiences different rates of spending growth, which a fixed cap likely would not address. For example, average per capita spending for aged beneficiaries from 2000-2011 grew by +13.3% in Tennessee, +10.8% in Mississippi, -1.4% in Washington, and -0.7% in Illinois.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

13 minutes ago, bostonangler said:

I didn't know all seniors are wealthy... I guess if you are wealthy you don't need help and should give up your benefits... That would help America and it debt. Why would wealthy people want social security and medicare?

Talk about Dictatorship..Your comment fall in line with one. How about take all your profits an write a check to the US Treasury to help with the overall debt. You don't need it... 

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, yota691 said:

Talk about Dictatorship..Your comment fall in line with one. How about take all your profits an write a check to the US Treasury to help with the overall debt. You don't need it... 

I'm not rich and will need my benefits... I know you and most everyone here is rich so why don't you give up your benefits and help America?

B/A

• Thanks 2
  • Downvote 3

22 minutes ago, bostonangler said:

Really seems to me our representatives say the tax cuts will be paid for... So I'm not sure of what you mean...

B/A

Lying demonic controlled Democrats and fake Republicans say that, but intellectual people understand the reality of life. What part of it's my money that I earned from my hard work is so hard for you to understand?

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, bostonangler said:

I'm not rich and will need my benefits... I know you and most everyone here is rich so why don't you give up your benefits and help America?

B/A

If your banking on social security for your retirement you are going to be a big big big trouble.

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 3
  • Upvote 1

Just now, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

Lying demonic controlled Democrats and fake Republicans say that, but intellectual people understand the reality of life. What part of it's my money that I earned from my hard work is so hard for you to understand?

Are you taking about the tax cut you just received along with the corporations? You do understand their tax cut never ends, but yours will? Why is it the government, yes on both sides of the aisle, always screw us the little guys? Why do multinationals who have no alliance to anyone or anything but money get the big breaks? Our government is a nightmare.

B/A

• Thanks 2
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

If your banking on social security for your retirement you are going to be a big big big trouble.

Says who? You? Are you really believing the fear mongers? Don't believe them. We can always just print more money like we've been doing since the Nixon days. We can have debt forever. Just look at the new economic policies put in place. Tax cuts to decrease revenue and increased spending to increase debt. I'm not worried, I have about another 20 to 30 years to go. It the kids like your daughter who will have to carry the burden of the poor choices being made now by our conservative leaders... I use the word conservative as a joke, because there is absolutely nothing conservative going on with their fiscal policies. People always dog the left for their outrageous spending, but who has control now and continue the lack of discipline. You can't blame Obama or Clinton for what they are doing with the budgets right now. That fall directly on those who control the government and we all know who that is... Let's be honest. As long as the two parties are in control we are doomed to the fiscal death spiral... JMHO

B/A

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

15 minutes ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

Why do you find it so hard to be decent or cordial to people of differing opinions?

GO RV, then BV

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Shabibilicious said:

Why do you find it so hard to be decent or cordial to people of differing opinions?

GO RV, then BV

Why is it so hard for you to allow people to express their thoughts in their own way? 

Also, I  don't find blunt TRUTH being rude nor un-cordial. And it's not your opinion that I object to, It's your relentless assault on what is that offends me. 

Accept what has happened and move on. Trump is President and NOTHING is going to change that except another election. 

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

Why is it so hard for you to allow people to express their thoughts in their own way? 

Also, I  don't find blunt TRUTH being rude nor un-cordial. And it's not your opinion that I object to, It's your relentless assault on what is that offends me. 

Accept what has happened and move on. Trump is President and NOTHING is going to change that except another election. 

I have moved on, for every day is a new day, with new and unprecedented presidential missteps.  And you will, by your own rules, "allow" me to express my thoughts as how you say....in my "own way".  As for another election.....well, let's just see if Mike Pence is up to the challenges that come with 45's impeachment.  I don't think he's an avid golfer or ladies man, so perhaps he'll accomplish some things.

GO RV, then BV

Edited by Shabibilicious
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

I have moved on, for every day is a new day, with new and unprecedented presidential missteps.  And you will, by your own rules, "allow" me to express my thoughts as how you say....in my "own way".  As for another election.....well, let's just see if Mike Pence is up to the challenges that come with 45's impeachment.  I don't think he's an avid golfer or ladies man, so perhaps he'll accomplish some things.

GO RV, then BV

Trump will never be Impeached!

Trump will be re-elected in 2020!

The Republicans will pick up seats in the House and Senate in the 2018 mid-term elections!

Indy

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, bostonangler said:

B/A

You must be having a really hard day.....that's a shame... in this thread you have gone from B/A to D/A........looks like you have dun broken the glass again.....empty and broken on the floor.......I prefer at the least....glass half full....enjoy your misery.....CL

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, bostonangler said:

B/A

Because I worked long hour and many years paying into a system. I don't care if a person is "wealthy". More power to them.

SS and Medicare are not entitlements. They are a earned payment. Just because the Liberals have turned them into hand outs don't penalize the people who worked for it. Cut the slackers and theifs and keep the Feds hands out of it and there will be plenty of money. 

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Shabibilicious said:

GO RV, then BV

And what do you think that the rest of the countries gonna do if your fanciful dreams of removing a duly elected president come to 

fruition? Do you really believe that your verbal hatred wont be met with extreme prejudice? Are you living in a world

where you actually think

that the hard working people of this country who support the lazy entitlement leftest will simply accept that?

Because if that is what you think will come of this YOU ARE DEAD WRONG. 

Come on man, your talking about ALL OUT CIVIL WAR. 

WAKE UP. 

2 hours ago, Indraman said:

Trump will never be Impeached!

Trump will be re-elected in 2020!

The Republicans will pick up seats in the House and Senate in the 2018 mid-term elections!

Indy

EXACTLY

1 hour ago, coorslite21 said:

You must be having a really hard day.....that's a shame... in this thread you have gone from B/A to D/A........looks like you have dun broken the glass again.....empty and broken on the floor.......I prefer at the least....glass half full....enjoy your misery.....CL

As always, spoken like a true Professor. :tiphat:

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1