Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

The Husseiniya threshold resolves the biggest tribal conflict in Basra that has lasted for years

Pitcher

Residents of the city of Basra have continued their demonstrations to protest the shortage of jobs, electricity, water and other basic services.

Basra's Council Member Bassma Dakhel Al Salmi called on the Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al Abadi to intervene and contain the crisis.

Referring to previous protests, in which scores were killed and wounded, Salmi called for trying the perpetrators of the shooting of unarmed protesters.

http://www.thebaghdadpost.com/en/story/29233/Iraqis-continue-protests-against-job-shortage-poor-services-in-Basra

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Independent High Commission for Human Rights of Iraq (IHCHR) has expressed its concern over Basra protests, stressing that these protests may reflect negatively on the security of the second largest Iraqi province.

IHCHR called on the federal government in Baghdad and the local government in Basra to intervene urgently in order to contain the protest, as well as preventing any new clashes between demonstrators and security forces.

The commission also called on the Iraqi tribes in Basra and religious clerics to intervene in order to maintain peace among Basra’s residents.

It demanded the government of Basra to coordinate with the companies operating in the province to offer suitable jobs for Basra people.

On Sunday, A protester was killed and others were wounded near the northern oil hub of Basra as the city's residents demonstrated against a shortage of jobs, electricity, water and other basic services.

http://www.thebaghdadpost.com/en/story/29235/IHCHR-expresses-concern-over-Basra-protests

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Pitcher said:

city's residents demonstrated against a shortage of jobs, electricity, water and other basic services

They left out the part about it's the polititions fault and the all need to be drug behind a car. Ohh, and give value to the currency. I've been waiting for this. Quick, get the pop corn. 

• Upvote 4

• Anger has grown in Basra, the country’s main oil hub, since police opened fire on demonstrators
  • More than 13 tribes on Wednesday announced they were backing the request of the Bani Mansour, the tribe of the protester killed by police

BAGHDAD: Tribes in southern Iraq blocked more roads and flooded the streets with protesters as demonstrations against foreign and local oil companies grew on Wednesday.

Anger has grown in Basra, the country’s main oil hub, since police opened fire on demonstrators who gathered at the entrance of an oil company on Sunday to demand jobs. One protester was killed and three were injured. 

The tribe of the victim demanded that Iraqi forces hand over the perpetrators for punishment or reveal their identities. The government’s refusal to respond to the request has fueled anger in the city.

Basra is the main source of the country’s wealth, but the local population sees little of the benefit.

More than 13 tribes on Wednesday announced they were backing the request of the Bani Mansour, the tribe of the protester killed by police. 

Meanwhile, thousands of protesters took to the streets in downtown of Basra and its outskirts. 

Hundreds more blocked main roads leading to Rumaila, home of the biggest oil fields in the country. 

Protests were planned “to restrict the movement of the workers of the oil and gas sector,” an organizer told Arab News. Some roads were blocked with dirt barriers while burning tires were placed across others. 

Iraqi security forces in Basra have been on high alert since Sunday and additional troops were deployed along roads leading to the headquarters of oil companies and oil fields. Foreign firms have evacuated senior staff from West Qurna to southern Rumaila, and “have activated contingency plans to address any potential risks,” a local security adviser told Arab News.

The Iraqi Ministry of Oil, which supervises the work of hundreds of foreign, Arab and local oil companies in Basra, advised local staff to organize their work according to “(the urgent) security conditions and roadblocks.” 

Staff were told to work 12-hour shifts and longer to help cover any labor shortfall and to use alternative routes to reach work sites.

A statement signed by the heads of Basra’s tribes laid out their main grievances. 

“We ask the oil companies to improve the infrastructure of the towns and villages where these companies are operating in Qurna and Medaina,” it said.

The tribes also called for improvements in water and electricity supplies, hospitals and roads.

Iraq has suffered from a severe lack of basic services since 1991. Southern provinces, especially Basra, are among the worst affected by high poverty and unemployment.

Local officials insist that 139,000 locals from Basra are employed in the oil and gas sector there, compared with more than 50,000 foreign and Iraqi workers from outside Basra. But protesters have demanded the expulsion of workers from outside the region to provide more work opportunities for locals.

“It is true that the largest number of workers in these (oil and gas) companies are from Basra, but it is still unsatisfactory,” Ali Shaddad Al-Faris, head of the Basra Provincial Council’s oil and gas committee, told Arab News.

“We have already asked the big oil companies to open centers to qualify the locals for more jobs. 

“They (the companies) have expressed their readiness, but the Ministry of Oil, which is the only body authorized to ask them, is not interested in developing the skills of youth or improving the situation.”

The protest on Sunday was initially against severe electricity shortages, but anger was quickly redirected toward the oil companies.

https://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2018/07/11/report-baghdad-imposing-arabization-kurds-iraqs-kirkuk-province/6

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Protesters stormed the South Oil Company headquarters in the city of Basra.

This comes as residents of Basra held demonstrations to protest the shortage of jobs, electricity, water and other basic services.

Iraqi police have used live ammunition to disperse the protesters, leaving one dead and three others wounded.

Commentators say Iran is attempting to mar the ongoing protests by inciting militias. The ultimate end of the Iranian regime, according to them, is to stir chaos in southern Iraq and disrupt oil transfers in the Gulf.

http://www.thebaghdadpost.com/en/story/29361/Protesters-storm-South-Oil-Company-headquarters-in-Basra

• Thanks 4
  • Upvote 1

ERBIL (Kurdistan 24) – Iraqi security forces wounded at least two people as protestors stormed one of the oil fields in the oil-rich province of Basra in southern Iraq.

On Thursday, people from different provinces in southern Iraq, particularly in Basra, took to the streets to protest the lack of services and job opportunities in the region.

Iraqi security forces fired into the air to disperse the protesters at one of three demonstrations outside major oilfields in the southern oil hub of Basra, police sources told Reuters.

According to hospital and police sources, security forces wounded at least two protesters near an entrance of the giant West Qurna 2 oilfields run by Russian Lukoil.

“Local workers said around 10 protesters managed to briefly enter a crude separation facility before police pushed them back,” Reuters reported, adding that an angry crowd set fire to a caravan used by police.

Kurdistan 24 correspondent Shivan Jabary was live at the scene where he spoke to one of the protesters who said the demonstrations would continue until the government meets all their demands.People are jobless, and there is a lack of electricity, water, and other basic services with no proper government response to resolve those issues, the protestor added. A video released by Iraqi activists on social media shows demonstrators trying to breach security gates to storm one of the oilfields in Shia-populated Basra while gunshots, fired by security forces, are heard behind the walls of the entrance.  “Security forces from Ramadi and Mosul [Sunni-populated areas] are firing at us,” one of the protesters shouts, calling the people of Basra to come to their aid  Confrontations between protesters and security forces in the al-Huwair subdistrict in northern Basra Province injured seven people, including a police officer, Shafaaq news reported, quoting a security source in the region. In the Shat al-Arab district of eastern Basra, hundreds of people gathered on the road leading to the Shalamja border crossing with Iran, blocking the movement of vehicles.  Elsewhere, in northern Basra, protesters blocked the main Basra-Baghdad road using concrete blocks.OilPro.jpgThe staff of oil company Russian Lukoil prepares to evacuate one of the oilfields besieged by protesters in Basra. (Photo: Social media)  People took to the streets of Basra on Sunday, the center of Iraq’s oil industry, to protest the lack of services and job opportunities in the region. Protesters blocked roads, preventing oil company employees from getting to work while chanting slogans calling for an end to unemployment and the improvement of public services, notably government-supplied electricity.
  • Upvote 2

Pro-Iran paramilitaries join push to ‘paralyze’ Basra oil exports

1251566-105537542.jpg?itok=X-4HB9FH

July 12, 201820
  • Disruption to Iraq's oil production would be in Iran’s interest as it seeks to hit back at US sanctions
  • Protesters and police injured on fifth day of protests

BAGHDAD: Iran-backed armed factions in Iraq announced their support on Thursday for demonstrations sweeping the country’s main oil hub.

Protesters in Basra are targeting local and international oil companies, and warn they will “paralyze” the industry unless their demands for jobs and improved basic services are met.

Pro-Iranian paramilitary troops, including Asaib Ahl Al-Haq, one of the most prominent Shiite armed factions, and its offshoots Al-Nujabaa, Kataib Sayyad Al-Shuhaddaa and Saraya Al-Kharassani all said separately they were backing the protesters.

Iran would benefit from any disruption to the oil sector in Basra as it seeks to stave off US sanctions against its own oil exports, analysts and oil experts told Arab News.

The Shiite forces could provide logistical support for the protests, which have blocked roads and led to clashes with police.

------

READ MORE:

Iraq protests threaten to ‘paralyze’ oil industry in Basra

Oil firms’ multimillion-dollar bribery racket bringing death to the streets of Iraq’s Basra

------

Early on Thursday, thousands of protesters tried to storm the entrances of oil company headquarters in northern Basra.

Iraqi security forces opened fire to disperse the demonstrators, who responded by hurling stones.

Six people, including two policemen, were wounded in the exchanges and temporary buildings belonging to the Russian energy giant Lukoil Company were set on fire. Security sources said that foreign employees of the company were evacuated by helicopter.

Iran wields considerable influence in Iraq, particularly in the predominantly Shiite south, where it supports a network of armed factions with funding and weapons. 

Gaining influence over the oil and gas sector in Iraq is vital for Iran as it seeks to head off US attempts to economically suffocate Tehran, analysts said. 

In May, US President Donald Trump pulled out of a deal between Iran and world powers to curb Tehran’s nuclear program in exchange for sanctions relief.

The US has ordered all countries to stop buying Iranian oil by November or face sanctions themselves. 

1251611-106243702.jpg

Disrupting the export of Iraqi oil would “send a message to the US that the Iraqi oil industry and its output are not out of (Iran’s) reach,” an Iraqi analyst based in Washington told Arab News.

“What is happening in Basra is part of the conflict between the US and Iran. It may be a preemptive step from Iran to affect or halt Iraqi oil exports.

“Iran has sent two messages through these demonstrations. The first is to tell the US that the Iraqi oil sector can be reached by its hands in the region.

“The second was to tell the international community that Iraqi oil is not the appropriate alternative to compensate for a shortfall created by the absence of Iranian oil.”

Iraqi officials told Arab News that oil exports have not been affected by the protests.

The situation in Basra follows a threat by Iranian officials earlier this month to block global oil supplies being shipped through the Straits of Hormuz from the Arabian Gulf. 

The US president asked Saudi Arabia last week to increase its oil production to compensate for the shortfall in the global market and ensure the stability of oil prices, but the Kingdom alone will not be able to continue this in the long term and must be backed by another source.

“Iraqi oil is the solution,” an Iraqi analyst told Arab News. “The goal (behind the demonstrations) is to create security problems and tell the world that (Iraqi oil) source is not secure.”

Protests erupted on Sunday over a lack of basic services, including drinking water and electricity, but quickly turned against the oil companies with demonstrators demanding jobs. One protester was killed and three wounded by security forces on the first day.

The tribe of the fatally injured protester demanded the killer and their commander be handed over for punishment, but the Iraqi government refused to respond.

On Wednesday, 13 tribes announced their support for the demands of Bani Mansour, the victim’s tribe.

Officials have attempted to defuse the crisis in Basra by sending a ministerial committee, headed by Jabbar Luaibi, the oil minister.

The committee on Thursday offered to create 10,000 jobs in the oil and gas sector for the people of the region.

http://www.arabnews.com/node/1337881/middle-east

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

So this is how Iran plans to punish the US and the ME oil supply.  Everyone thought it would be a block aide of the Staits of Hormuz.  

This is a big deal in my mind.  This demands a quick response from the US and anyone who wants Iraq to RV.  This is a direct threat to Iraq’s ability to earn money from its oil.  Iran is itching for a war, maybe we should let them have it.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Pitcher said:

So this is how Iran plans to punish the US and the ME oil supply.  Everyone thought it would be a block aide of the Staits of Hormuz.  

This is a big deal in my mind.  This demands a quick response from the US and anyone who wants Iraq to RV.  This is a direct threat to Iraq’s ability to earn money from its oil.  Iran is itching for a war, maybe we should let them have it.  

Agree with you my friend.

Iranian strategy ..... To keep the Middle East in turmoil 

Go Iraq 

Go democracy

Go RV 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Pitcher said:

Laid Back, I read a lot of articles about the ME.  I only post a fraction of what I’m reading and I have to tell you, Iran is a real problem!!!!!!!

I know Pitcher..... They are a REAL threat.

Thanks for posting many articles and your input my friend.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Pitcher said:

Laid Back, I read a lot of articles about the ME.  I only post a fraction of what I’m reading and I have to tell you, Iran is a real problem!!!!!!!

I have always believed that Saudi Arabia is at least, as big a threat to our ME goals as Iran is.  This however is just a seriously dumb move by Iran, it demands fast, strong and total response from Iraqi, US, and UN military.  

Edited by pokebu

1 hour ago, Pitcher said:

In total agreement Ricky.  Iran is playing Russian Roulette with the oil supply.  Neither Trump nor Mad Dog will let this go without severe action.  Of which I am most certain that the plan has already been set just ready for Iran to take the next step past this.

Yet this as well as all other Iranian action in Iraq has Malarky's name written ALLLLLL over it.

IMO Sadr and Abadi need to close the borders and get the Iranian Malitia out of the country.

SR

• Upvote 1

My opinion is the stable and somewhat fragile environment in Iraq has reached its limit whether internally or externally (The United States Of America, Israel, Naughti Arabia, Iran, etc.). The pawn here is the currently disenfranchised Iraqis to get pumped up on some issue related to the lack of GOI performance. Some function of The United States Of America could be originating this agitation to ultimately boot Iran from Iraq. I suspect a major performance point for the Iranians as a new JCPOA or whatever will be to pull all the IRGC, IMIS, Qud, and whatever else they have in Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, Yemen, etc. and terminate all their State sponsored terrorism in the Middle East so that Iran can return to a international mercantile status. Otherwise, there will be a regime change in Iran. Win/Win either way. The quick way would be for the Iranians to come to the table and adhere to the terms to be given them immediately. In the short term, any instability would infer international help (likely The United States Of America) to eradicate any other "foreign influences" in Iraq so Iraq can be a Safe, Secure, and Stable Sovereign State. I don't think any of this will bode well for Iran. I don't think Sectarian Violence or Civil War will be allowed to happen although it appears to be brewing. What is Sadr or anyone else in Iraq going to say if their Country is falling apart before their and everyone else's eyes with a perceived "occupier" making things right? Besides, the economic sanctions are crippling Iran so Iran is losing potency by the minute especially with the Iranians rightfully upset and agitated toward their leaders making Iran politically and socially unstable. There have been some news articles relating to reconstruction, construction, and economic development to help employ Iraqis. This would meet the current demands of employment by the protesting Iraqis. I do not see this happening with out the SFAs with The United States Of America and France (of all nations) being implemented. I do not see the SFAs being implemented until the election results are ratified and the GOI gets suitably formed. I suspect Iraq has a high intensity burner on it's hind quarters to git 'er dun.

In the process, Nouri al-Maliki may get whacked or somethin'. Win/Win here, too. Here's hopin'!!!

So, OK, I'm optimistic but don't listen to me as I am the eternal optimist.

If nothing else, likely some "entertaining" articles to come in the short term.

In The Mean Time....................................

Go Moola Nova (YEAH AND YEE HAW, BABY, READY WHEN YOU ARE BROTHER (OR SISTER) - LET 'ER BUCK!!!)!!!

:rodeo:   :pirateship:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Synopsis said:

My opinion is the stable and somewhat fragile environment in Iraq has reached its limit whether internally or externally (The United States Of America, Israel, Naughti Arabia, Iran, etc.). The pawn here is the currently disenfranchised Iraqis to get pumped up on some issue related to the lack of GOI performance. Some function of The United States Of America could be originating this agitation to ultimately boot Iran from Iraq. I suspect a major performance point for the Iranians as a new JCPOA or whatever will be to pull all the IRGC, IMIS, Qud, and whatever else they have in Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, Yemen, etc. and terminate all their State sponsored terrorism in the Middle East so that Iran can return to a international mercantile status. Otherwise, there will be a regime change in Iran. Win/Win either way. The quick way would be for the Iranians to come to the table and adhere to the terms to be given them immediately. In the short term, any instability would infer international help (likely The United States Of America) to eradicate any other "foreign influences" in Iraq so Iraq can be a Safe, Secure, and Stable Sovereign State. I don't think any of this will bode well for Iran. I don't think Sectarian Violence or Civil War will be allowed to happen although it appears to be brewing. What is Sadr or anyone else in Iraq going to say if their Country is falling apart before their and everyone else's eyes with a perceived "occupier" making things right? Besides, the economic sanctions are crippling Iran so Iran is losing potency by the minute especially with the Iranians rightfully upset and agitated toward their leaders making Iran politically and socially unstable. There have been some news articles relating to reconstruction, construction, and economic development to help employ Iraqis. This would meet the current demands of employment by the protesting Iraqis. I do not see this happening with out the SFAs with The United States Of America and France (of all nations) being implemented. I do not see the SFAs being implemented until the election results are ratified and the GOI gets suitably formed. I suspect Iraq has a high intensity burner on it's hind quarters to git 'er dun.

In the process, Nouri al-Maliki may get whacked or somethin'. Win/Win here, too. Here's hopin'!!!

So, OK, I'm optimistic but don't listen to me as I am the eternal optimist.

If nothing else, likely some "entertaining" articles to come in the short term.

In The Mean Time....................................

Go Moola Nova (YEAH AND YEE HAW, BABY, READY WHEN YOU ARE BROTHER (OR SISTER) - LET 'ER BUCK!!!)!!!

:rodeo:   :pirateship:

Well Synopsis you have yet again laid out another concise literary opinion.  :tiphat:Here's to hoping all your opinions come true for all of us.  :cheesehead:

SR

• Thanks 1

• yota691 changed the title to Abadi arrives in Basra and meets with security leaders
Release date: 2018/7/13 8:53 • 227 times read
Abadi arrives in Basra and meets with security leaders
[Ayna-Baghdad] 
Prime Minister Haider Abadi arrived in the province of Basra from Brussels, where he participated in the meeting of the International Alliance against gangs and called for terrorism.
A statement of his office received the agency of all Iraq [where] a copy of him that Abadi "held a meeting with the security and military leaders in the Basra Operations Command and listened to a detailed report on the situation in the province." 
The province of Basra has been witnessing days of popular protests angry about poor services and the crisis of water scarcity, electricity and unemployment.
  • Upvote 2

Release date: 2018/7/12 19:01 • 507 times read
The most prominent Maja in the decisions of the State Committee entrusted with the follow-up of the file Basra [expanded]
[Ain-Baghdad] 
The ministerial committee in Basra, on Thursday, the approval to increase the processing of the province energy and the allocation of [10] thousands of jobs for its sons.
"The Iraqi government is keen to improve the level of services provided to citizens in the province of Basra and to promote the economic reality of agriculture and industry," the state media said in a statement. 
"All the main problems and needs of the governorate were discussed and the working paper presented by the Council to the Ministerial Committee, which deals with service axes [water, security, electricity, health and public services]," al-Allaibi said. 
He added that "the committee has set up three plans for the implementation of the special projects in the province of Basra and was classified into an urgent plan to be implemented within two weeks to one month, related to the axes of services [water, electricity, health and public services and security], and the medium-term plan implementation period [3-6] Not exceeding two years. "
Al-Luaibi said, "On the subject of water and salinity, the ministerial committee decided to install the desalination unit with a capacity of 3,000 cubic meters, stop the excesses and pump water to Shatt al-Arab to reduce salinity. 
He pointed out that "the Basra water department will be given $ 2 billion to improve and develop the drinking water sector and provide the citizens with good water in additional quantities." 
"The committee decided to allocate 10,000 jobs for the people of the province and will be divided according to the population density of the districts and areas covered by the appointments."
The ministerial committee arrived in the province of Basra on Wednesday, July 11 to discuss the needs of the province, where meetings and discussions with officials of service departments and elders and dignitaries of the province to consider their needs and demands, as well as the formation of committees and workshops to accelerate the implementation of the program agreed upon according to priorities.
  • Upvote 1

Editorial date: 2018/7/13 12:28 • 141 times read
Government decisions to resolve the Basra crises and calm the protests
[Ayna-Baghdad] 
The Prime Minister's Office and the Government Media Cell announced a decision-making package to resolve crises in the province of Basra, which has been witnessing days of angry popular protests against poor services and unemployment.
"Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi met with Basra Governor As'ad al-Eidani and discussed during the meeting the best services for the visual citizen and solving the problems that stand in the way of implementing a number of projects and citizens' demands," a statement from the Prime Minister's Office said. Of the directives and decisions that are in the interest of the province and its people. "The statement does not specify what these decisions are. 
He also met Abadi in the province of Basra - arrived at dawn today from Brussels after a meeting of the International Alliance held there yesterday - the Director General of the Electricity Distribution Company of the south, Mohammed Abdul Amir Hilfi "During the meeting discussed the reality of electricity in the province of Basra and make maximum efforts to provide citizens with energy, The summer and overcoming the obstacles and finding solutions for the continued supply of electricity to the citizen. "
On Friday, the government's media channel announced a major government decision regarding contracts for security guards in Basra province. 
During a meeting with the Director General of the Energy Police and the Director of the Southern Oil Police, the Abadi addressed the issue of contracts of security guards contracted by the Ministry of Oil, who are working for the Ministry of Interior's Energy Police Directorate to balance them with their counterparts in the Interior and to restore social security. And arrange their legal status. "
  • Upvote 2

• yota691 changed the title to The Husseiniya threshold resolves the biggest tribal conflict in Basra that has lasted for years