Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Trump to leave summit early _ after meeting with Kim

SINGAPORE (AP) — In the latest twist in the drama-filled nuclear talks with North Korea's Kim Jong Un, President Donald Trump announced on the eve of their historic meeting that he will be leaving Singapore early because the nuclear negotiations have moved "more quickly than expected."

That was before the two had even met, and it was not clear whether it was good news or not.

No details were given on any possible progress in preliminary talks between aides at the talks. And the abrupt change in schedule came shortly after U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo had seemed to lower expectations for the meeting, which Trump had earlier predicted could potentially yield an on-the-spot end to the Korean War.

Instead, Pompeo suggested the summit, while historic, might yield little in the way of concrete success other than to pave the way for more meetings in the future.

On the day before the meeting, weeks of preparation appeared to pick up the pace, with U.S. and North Korean officials meeting throughout Monday at a Singapore hotel.

Trump spoke only briefly in public, forecasting a "nice" outcome for the summit during a meeting with Singapore's prime minister. Kim spent the day mostly out of view — until he left his hotel for a late-night tour of Singapore sights, including the Flower Dome, billed as the world's biggest glass greenhouse.

Trump's early departure will be second from a summit in just a few days.

The sudden change in schedule added to a dizzying few days for foreign policy for Trump, who shocked U.S. allies over the weekend when he used a meeting of the Group of 7 industrialized economies in Canada to alienate America's closest friends in the West. Lashing out over trade practices, he lobbed insults at the G-7 host, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. He left early, and as he flew to Singapore, he tweeted that he was yanking the U.S. out of the traditional group statement.

As Trump was trying to build a bridge with Kim, he was smashing longtime alliances with Western allies with his abrasive performance at the G-7. He continued to tweet angrily at Trudeau from Singapore, saying Monday "Fair Trade is now to be called Fool Trade if it is not Reciprocal."

Trump advisers cast his actions as a show of strength before the Kim meeting. Economic adviser Larry Kudlow told CBS News in Washington that "Kim must not see American weakness."

Trump, after the first-ever meeting between U.S. and North Korean leaders, had been scheduled to fly back to Washington on Wednesday morning after spending Tuesday with Kim in Singapore. But on the eve of the summit, he altered his schedule, opting to return at about 8 p.m. on Tuesday after a full day of meetings with Kim — almost 15 hours earlier than previously anticipated.

"The discussions between the United States and North Korea are ongoing and have moved more quickly than expected," the White House said in a statement.

U.S. and North Korean officials have been holding preliminary meetings in the run-up to the Tuesday summit.

In recent days, Trump had suggested the meeting could last days, potentially even resulting in a nuclear deal. But U.S. officials have since avoided such lofty declarations. Abbreviating the meeting to a single day could make it easier to cast the summit as an early, symbolic opening, rather than a substantive negotiation in which a lack of tangible progress would suggest failure on the part of the negotiators.

The White House said the summit was to kick off at 9 a.m. Tuesday. After greeting each other — an image sure to be devoured around the world — the two leaders planned to sit for a one-on-one meeting that a U.S. official said could last up to two hours, with only translators joining them. The official wasn't authorized to discuss the plans and insisted on anonymity.

The daylong summit will also include a working lunch and a larger meeting involving aides to both leaders, the White House said. On the U.S. side, Trump was to be joined by Pompeo, chief of staff John Kelly, national security adviser John Bolton and U.S. Ambassador to the Philippines Sung Kim, along with a few others.

After concluding the summit, Trump planned to speak to reporters in Singapore before flying home, the White House said.

Pompeo, addressing reporters ahead of the summit, said the U.S. was prepared to take action to provide North Korea with "sufficient certainty" that denuclearization "is not something that ends badly for them."

He would not say whether that included the possibility of withdrawing U.S. troops from the Korean Peninsula, but stressed the context of the discussions was "radically different than ever before."

"I can only say this," Pompeo said. "We are prepared to take what will be security assurances that are different, unique, than America's been willing to provide previously."

In Singapore, the island city-state hosting the summit, the sense of anticipation was palpable, with people lining spotless streets Monday waving cellphones as Trump headed to meet Singapore's Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong. As Trump and Lee sat down for a working lunch at the Istana house, Trump sounded optimistic, telling Lee, "we've got a very interesting meeting in particular tomorrow, and I think things can work out very nicely."

Trump also called the leaders of South Korea and Japan in advance of the summit, Pompeo said. Meanwhile, U.S. and North Korean officials huddled at a hotel Monday ahead of the sit-down aimed at resolving a standoff over Pyongyang's nuclear arsenal.

Delegates were outlining specific goals for what Trump and Kim should try to accomplish and multiple scenarios for how key issues can be resolved, an official briefed on the discussions said. The meetings also served as an ice breaker of sorts as the teams worked to get better acquainted after decades of minimal U.S.-North Korea contact.

Trump and Kim arrived in Singapore on Sunday, both staying at luxurious and heavily guarded hotels less than half a mile apart, with Trump at the Shangri-La Hotel and Kim at the St. Regis Hotel.

Trump, too, has recently sought to minimize expectations, saying additional meetings may be necessary.

Asked Saturday about his goals, he said: "Well, I think the minimum would be relationship. You would start at least a dialogue, because, you know, as a deal person, I have done very well with deals."

The North has faced crippling diplomatic and economic sanctions, which began years before Trump's "maximum pressure" campaign, as it has advanced development of its nuclear and ballistic missile programs.

Experts believe the North is close to being able to target the entire U.S. mainland with its nuclear-armed missiles, and while there's deep skepticism that Kim will quickly give up those hard-won nukes, there's also some hope that diplomacy can replace the animosity between the U.S. and the North.

While advisers insist Trump has been reviewing briefing materials, he says his gut instincts will matter most when he gets in the room with Kim. He told reporters, "I will know, just my touch, my feel. That's what I do."

___

Associated Press writer Foster Klug contributed to this report.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/officials-mulling-final-preparations-trump-kim-summit-042059480--politics.html

B/A

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Wow, No slack given. 

You are now officially a non fence sitter. 

If he managed to get Rocket Man to truly de nuke you would not be happy and have some snarky comment.

That sounds like pure hate of the man. That's o.k. you can own it.

I fully expect a snarky answer also.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

1 minute ago, nstoolman1 said:

Wow, No slack given. 

You are now officially a non fence sitter. 

If he managed to get Rocket Man to truly de nuke you would not be happy and have some snarky comment.

That sounds like pure hate of the man. That's o.k. you can own it.

I fully expect a snarky answer also.  

If he get's Un to denuclearize.....I will praise DJT and Pompeo for their efforts, mark my words.  Believe it or not, I'm not afraid to call a shot a shot.  Those that hang their hats on their politics only, no matter what.....do themselves and everybody else a disservice.  

GO RV, then BV

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Based on the fact they haven't even met yet, I personally don't know what to think about it...It could be he is going to sign off on the American view of denuclearization, or the Americans may have come to understand his idea of denuclearization is a bit different... Let's hope it's a good thing.

B/A 

• Thanks 2
  • Downvote 2

Just now, coorslite21 said:

Seems there has been a good start to the process.......it wasn't the disaster that the MSM was predicting.....perhaps even hoping for.........

Just waiting for the MSM spin on how all this was a bad thing..........we'll see????

Let's hope everyone sees the positive in this... As of right now the only negative spin I've read has been from China, saying this is only symbolic... What else could they say?

B/A

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, yota691 said:

Apparently you haven't watch the Dennis interview...from being invited (Dennis arrived on his own) to the past in which he speaks of...

No I didn't... Dennis is too strange for me... I remember after his first visit to North Korea, people on every side of the aisle thought it was a weird situation... From what I've read about Kim, he is an big fan of basketball and Sci-Fi movies... Dennis happens to fit both categories. JMHO

B/A

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

What HERESY before us HERE!!!

Dennis Rodman (of all people) is wearing a "Make America Great Again" cap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How, oh how, is the Lame Stream Media and all the Stupid Idiot Spinning Heads Pundits going to portray this with all their incessant Rattle of Brattle Prattle?????????????

:o       :o       :o

Make America Great Again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is Liberalism truly dying a much needed and earnestly desired death in The United States Of America and the world??????????????????????

Thank You, President Donald J Trump, for all YOU do for The United States Of America True Patriots and world by upholding the Constitution Of The United States Of America TO INCLUDE The Ratified Bill Of Rights as YOU swore under oath while observing the Division Of Powers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:backflip:       :backflip:       :backflip:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

US to suspend military exercises with South Korea, Trump says

US move in exchange for North Korean denuclearisation pledge takes Seoul by surprise

Julian Borger in Singapore

Tue 12 Jun 2018 13.53 BST

3 vids & pics

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jun/12/us-to-suspend-war-games-with-south-korea-donald-trump-kim-jong-un-north-summit

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Thank You, Red Rubymeister and all else so inclined, for the Red Ruby Citation for "Display Of Intellectual Speed And Power" since I know without a doubt YOU wish YOU could ACTUALLY be noted for having as much!!!

:tiphat:   :tiphat:  :tiphat:

Keep Up The Good Work!!!

:twothumbs:          :twothumbs:          :twothumbs:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, yota691 said:

If you can't get over the past...how do you pass on a better future for the next generation...I see Dennis has his sight on the big pic...

A just observation and assessment, Yota, AND The Best If Your Week To You!!! :tiphat:

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Synopsis said:

What HERESY before us HERE!!!

Dennis Rodman (of all people) is wearing a "Make America Great Again" cap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How, oh how, is the Lame Stream Media and all the Stupid Idiot Spinning Heads Pundits going to portray this with all their incessant Rattle of Brattle Prattle?????????????

:o       :o       :o

Make America Great Again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is Liberalism truly dying a much needed and earnestly desired death in The United States Of America and the world??????????????????????

Thank You, President Donald J Trump, for all YOU do for The United States Of America True Patriots and world by upholding the Constitution Of The United States Of America TO INCLUDE The Ratified Bill Of Rights as YOU swore under oath while observing the Division Of Powers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:backflip:       :backflip:       :backflip:

He had a Pot coin crypto shirt on too. Lol 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rmc10 said:

He had a Pot coin crypto shirt on too. Lol 

:o       :o        :o

Dennis Rodman has an "interest" in Pot???!!!

Say it isn't so, RMC10!!!

Well, OK, at least he wasn't wearing a wedding dress and getting married to the State Of New York!!!

He doesn't think too highly of young people and MTV or VH1!!!

Wuz Up with the casket scene???!!!

• Haha 1