Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Donald Trump Cannot Pardon Himself and Needs a New Lawyer

Donald Trump Cannot Pardon Himself and Needs a New Lawyer, Republican Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Says

Newsweek Nicole Goodkind,Newsweek 14 hours ago
5ab947ec1e0b6cfd75460037fbeb66f0 Donald Trump Cannot Pardon Himself and Needs a New Lawyer, Republican Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Says

Republican Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley spoke out against President Donald Trump’s Monday morning tweet in which he claimed that he had the “absolute right to pardon” himself if convicted in special counsel Robert Mueller's probe.

“If I were president of the United States and I had a lawyer that said I could pardon myself, I think I would hire a new lawyer,” Senator Grassley told Manu Raju, CNN's senior Congressional correspondent, on the steps of the Capitol on Monday.

Trump’s tweet appeared to follow the logic of a string of arguments made this weekend by his personal lawyer and former New York City Mayor, Rudy Giuliani. On Sunday, Giuliani told ABC that Trump likely did have the legal right to pardon himself but that he would never use it. He also told The Huffington Post that "in no case can [Trump] be subpoenaed or indicted," even if he shot former FBI director James Comey. Instead, Giuliani said, Trump would have to be impeached.

To some, Grassley’s actions are a bold act of defiance against Trump. Grassley’s home state of Iowa strongly supported Trump in the election and the Senator overwhelmingly votes in line with the president.

But to others, the statements are a clever political play to avoid any concrete action on Trump’s comments. The Senator won’t hold oversight hearings because of these tweets, wrote Eric Shultz, former senior adviser to President Barack Obama, because “giving a zinger to CNN gets him just as much play and he doesn't have to actually do anything.”

Sarah Huckabee Sanders, Trump’s press secretary, later clarified the comments. After being asked three times, she told reporters that "certainly, no one is above the law."

The president shot out a series of Tweets on Monday morning saying that, “As has been stated by numerous legal scholars, I have the absolute right to PARDON myself, but why would I do that when I have done nothing wrong? In the meantime, the never ending Witch Hunt, led by 13 very Angry and Conflicted Democrats (& others) continues into the mid-terms!” Later in the afternoon, he returned to the topic, tweeting that, “The Fake News Media is desperate to distract from the economy and record setting economic numbers and so they keep talking about the phony Russian Witch Hunt.”

Edited by bostonangler
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Shabibilicious said:

And if Trump did nothing wrong, why is he weighing his self pardoning powers?....He talks and tweets like a paranoid man who's guilty as hell.  As always, just my opinion.

GO RV, then BV

Hello Shabs!

One would be hard pressed to find ANY politician not guilty of something

3 minutes ago, Pitcher said:

Doesn’t matter what I think, I have more important issues to to take care of these days.  If Trump is guilty it will all come out.  

What at is your opinion of HRC unlawfulness?

If she is found guilty of actual crimes beyond those prosecuted by public opinion, then she should pay the price.....exactly the same way I feel about Trump.  

GO RV, then BV

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, caz1104 said:

Hello Shabs!

One would be hard pressed to find ANY politician not guilty of something

Absolutely right, my friend.  The question is, who in our political system has the nuts to do what's right knowing it could cost them politically?.....If some serious term limits were put in place for all politicians, our country would right itself in no time.  

GO RV, then BV

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

I believe it is against the law to have a server in your basement and to destroy your hardrive in an attempt to hide any evidence of wrong doing. I won’t even go into the uranium deal.  I’m not seeing any outrage in the media or any special investigations into those matters. At least not yet.  I just don’t care for selective enforcement of our laws and selective media coverage of one particular party over the other. People are sheep and don’t take the time to think for themselves. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 6

4 minutes ago, Pitcher said:

I believe it is against the law to have a server in your basement and to destroy your hardrive in an attempt to hide any evidence of wrong doing. I won’t even go into the uranium deal.  I’m not seeing any outrage in the media or any special investigations into those matters. At least not yet.  I just don’t care for selective enforcement of our laws and selective media coverage of one particular party over the other. People are sheep and don’t take the time to think for themselves. 

I trust Trey Gowdy.....so if that's what you mean by the sheep comment, then so be it.

GO RV, then BV

• Upvote 1

The sheep comment is for the people who don’t take the time to search out the facts on what the media is spewing both left and right.  If you are left leaning and watch MSNBC all day you will probably argue their points.  If you are right leaning and watch Fox News all day then you will probably argue their points.  The sad truth is there is no unbiased reporting anymore.  I don’t know how anyone can honestly say they are a true journalist and constantly spew one sides view.  It’s dishonest and to me unacceptable.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

54 minutes ago, Pitcher said:

The sheep comment is for the people who don’t take the time to search out the facts on what the media is spewing both left and right.  If you are left leaning and watch MSNBC all day you will probably argue their points.  If you are right leaning and watch Fox News all day then you will probably argue their points.  The sad truth is there is no unbiased reporting anymore.  I don’t know how anyone can honestly say they are a true journalist and constantly spew one sides view.  It’s dishonest and to me unacceptable.  

It all comes down to sources and the source's source's sources.....who can you trust and who have they trusted, so on and so on.

GO RV, then BV

• Upvote 1

On 6/5/2018 at 12:53 PM, Shabibilicious said:

There's the friendly right wing social skills we've all grown familiar with.  

GO RV, then BV

You know what? At least we read that many, unlike a few lefties who read only what they want and turn it 76 ways to Sunday in order to spin it to their narrative. How many times have you done that, more than 9984 times I bet.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3