Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Israeli hints bombarded the port of Beirut and Iraq

yota691

Editorial date:: 2019/5/13 23:26 • 188 times read
Barzani pleased: a common will to resolve all outstanding issues with Baghdad
(Baghdad: Al-Furat News) The adviser of the Security Council of the Kurdistan region, pleased Barzani, on Monday, that there is a common will between the federal government and the territorial government, to resolve all outstanding issues between the two sides.
A statement from his office said that Barzani received the Special Representative of the Secretary-General of the United Nations in Iraq, Jenin Hennes Plachkard, and the accompanying delegation in Erbil that "the meeting discussed the developments and political developments in Iraq and the region and the war against terrorism and complete the formation of the Kurdistan Regional Government of the new, To discuss the conditions of Kurdish areas that fall outside the administration of the region or called B [disputed], especially Kirkuk and Sinjar, was confirmed that the next Kurdistan government will seek to meet the aspirations of the people of Kurdistan. 
The statement added that "pleased Barzani has indicated during the meeting that the dialogues are continuing between Erbil and Baghdad, and there is a common will between them to resolve the outstanding issues between the two sides."
For its part, the UN official stressed the desire of the United Nations to play a positive role in the convergence between representatives of components and communities to find solutions to existing problems and will continue to do so, according to the statement.
  • Upvote 2

• yota691 changed the title to Security Council to hold a meeting on the situation in Iraq next Tuesday

image.php?token=f9917b171b41251506895cb9501c6b62&size=

Number of readings: 279 19-05-2019 02:28 PM

19-05-2019 02:28 PM

The United Nations mission in Iraq (UNAMI) on Sunday issued a statement confirming the Security Council's intention to hold a meeting to discuss the situation in Iraq. 
According to the statement of the UN mission, it is scheduled to hold the Security Council session to discuss the situation in Iraq next Tuesday, the 21st of May.

image.php?token=d6ba22bff2185078f4edab2d

Barzani sends a letter to the United Nations on its representation in Kurdistan and Article 140 of the Constitution

image.thumb.png.22042e091e578e441224cc89ccd2722b.png

https://www.shafaaq.com/ar/كوردســتانيات/بارزاني-يبعث-رسالة-للأمم-المتحدة-بشأن-تمثيلها-بكوردستان-والمادة-140-من-الدستور/

2019/05/20 02:06:43

"The Prime Minister of Kurdistan Region, Nezhirvan Barzani, the United Nations to play a major role in the application of Article 140 of the Constitution on the disputed areas between Arbil and Baghdad.

The United Nations is scheduled to hold a special session on the situation in Iraq on Monday.

Barzani said in a letter addressed to the United Nations and the UN Security Council that the Special Envoy of the Secretary-General of the United Nations can play a "major role" as a neutral party to begin an "intensive dialogue" between Erbil and Baghdad to resolve differences and outstanding issues, including the application of Article 140 of the Constitution.

Barzani called in his letter to raise the level of representation of the United Nations in the province of Kurdistan, and that the appointment of a UN official in Erbil, the level of Deputy Secretary General's envoy.

He called on the prime minister of the region to appoint a person as humanitarian affairs for the United Nations since the post has been vacant since 2015 and so far.

Barzani suggested transferring the headquarters of the United Nations humanitarian programs from Baghdad to Erbil because 90% of the refugees from Syria in Iraq, and 60% of the displaced from inside Iraq are in the Kurdistan Region.

Edited by 6ly410
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

• MAY 2019

Iraq

MONTHLY FORECAST

In May, the Council is expected to receive briefings on the Secretary-General’s latest reports on UNAMI and also on the issue of missing Kuwaiti and third-country nationals and missing Kuwaiti property (including the national archives). The Council will also renew the mandate of UNAMI, which is set to expire on 31 May 2019. In addition, the Council expects to receive the second report on the activities of UNITAD in May.

• Upvote 2

• yota691 changed the title to UN representative: Baghdad is open and the government is moving to fight corruption and the situation in Iraq for the better

UN representative: Baghdad is open and the government is moving to fight corruption and the situation in Iraq for the better

New York - Special Conscious 

The Iraqi News Agency "Conscious", briefing the Special Representative of the Secretary-General of the United Nations in Iraq, Jenin Henness Blachkart, presented at the meeting of the Security Council: 

Mr president,

Ladies and Gentlemen, Distinguished members of the Security Council,

I would like to begin my briefing by talking about my recent visit to a mass grave in the Samawah Desert, accompanied by the President of the Republic, Mr. Barham Salih. This cemetery is a stark testimony to the horrific crimes of Saddam Hussein against many of his people, who were in that case of the Kurdish people.

Was a very moving experience, which once again confirms that Iraq's past characterized by violence and lawlessness still casts a shadow over its present. But that experience also showed how far the transition from dictatorial to democratic Iraq was unusual in the 21st century.

Yes, in order for democracy to truly take hold, it needs time ... a lot of time and a lot of hard work.

Mr. President, we must recognize that the current internal political conflict is an expensive obstacle. A year after the general elections, ministers still have to be named to fill important ministerial portfolios: interior, defense, justice and education. Political parties have so far shown no willingness to compromise.

But it must be understood that political concessions are not evidence of weakness, but are in fact evidence of political maturity and adaptive capacity requirements.

At a slow but confident pace, the chairmen, vice-chairpersons and rapporteurs of the parliamentary committees are being selected, a major obstacle to initiating parliamentary action. This is not yet complete, but it is already time, as important laws are still awaiting legislation.

With regard to the KRG negotiations, I am pleased to inform you of the important progress made recently. After 218 days of negotiations, a new Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) agreement was signed on 5 May. To avoid further problems, the new government could be ready in June.

Mr. President, I am not revealing that Iraqi authorities, institutions, mechanisms and systems are still struggling against deep-rooted problems that have often thwarted rapid and strong responses by the Government to urgent needs such as reconstruction, development and security.

A scheme can be drawn up to classify these problems as a set of individual interests and pretexts, many of which are due to long-standing grievances and differences between the components and the political entities, and between the federal government and the Kurdistan Regional Government. Tight.

In some ways, this also illustrates why the many opportunities arising from intensified reconciliation efforts have not been fully taken into account.

Mr. President, In this context, it is also necessary to address the scourge of corruption at all levels in Iraq.

Corruption consumes the money that should be spent on public services and goes to private pockets instead. But it also prevents economic activities, which hinder business development, which can result in the creation of jobs that are most needed.

As I stated in my previous briefing to the Security Council, it is encouraging that the Government has clearly engaged in addressing this.

Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi has made clear that "corruption distorts the image and reputation of the state at the local and international levels." This is absolutely true. Corruption not only questions Iraq's credibility, but also its sustainability, responsiveness and effectiveness.

The change will not come overnight, so it is important to highlight the issue of corruption over and over again. Achieving concrete results will be crucial in many respects and, more importantly, will restore the confidence of the people and are a key factor in the further development of the democratic system in Iraq.

Mr. President, The oil sector is the pillar of the Iraqi economy, with the existence of enormous oil potential has not been explored yet. But to achieve that, there are important challenges to be addressed.

Here, too, in short: the public interest should prevail over private or party interests, which would enable the entire country to benefit. Accordingly, I look forward to renewed engagement in important oil and gas laws and revenue sharing.

Mr. President, another is that Iraq can achieve its full potential only through the active political, social and economic participation of women and young people.

We have witnessed, organized and recently participated in many events related to women and young people throughout the country. Although they are useful experiences for everyone involved, I would caution against change, which is merely a formality.

Ultimately, it is about translating good intentions into positive action. Unfortunately, Iraq has not yet appointed its first female minister.

In another but closely related context to women and girls: there is the Domestic Violence Act. A sensitive and important issue at the same time for the Iraqis. I would like to commend the Iraqi leadership for taking important steps towards enacting this law.

This law provides full protection of the legal rights and shelter needs of all victims of domestic violence. I mean all victims: not just women and girls.

I sincerely hope that lawmakers will pass this law in line with the Iraqi Constitution, which prohibits all forms of violence and abuse within the family.

Mr. President, in a completely different and optimistic context: Baghdad is blooming. Very soon there will be no green zone. Where Prime Minister Adel Abdul-Mahdi promised from the first day to remove the walls of concrete protection and return the city to its people.

I fully understand the importance of continued broad international supportThis support, which ensures that Iraq leaves the violent past behind and ensures that Iraq does not slide back to the unrest that has emerged from it recently.

In other words, in order to prevent the need to restore a strong foothold in Iraq, there must be a long-term approach.

Equally important, Mr. President, there is a case of fighters urging returnees from Syria to Iraq with their families.

The return of thousands and thousands of Iraqi and non-Iraqi people not only raises concerns about security and capabilities, but also humanitarian and human rights concerns. All this is not just an Iraqi problem.

We know that some countries prefer to maintain a "strategic distance" for their citizens. But again to clarify: this is not only an Iraqi problem. If poorly managed, it will affect us all in the region and beyond.

In addition, if we do not adequately address this issue, we risk creating fertile ground for a new generation of terrorists.

More broadly, I welcome the efforts of the Government in security sector reform. However, there is still a lot of work to be done. Restructuring the "national security architecture" is particularly important. This includes in particular the status of future popular mobilization forces and the reform of the Peshmerga in a single regional security force.

Mr. President, as we saw last summer in the demonstrations that started in the south of the country, ... the lack of water in Iraq could ignite social protests. A problem that, if not addressed, can dispel any gains made.

Although this past winter has seen heavy rains - including widespread catastrophic floods - simple reliance on heavy rains is not a strong national water strategy.

In a time of severe climate change, careful planning for all extreme weather conditions is of paramount importance. Thus establishing a comprehensive water storage and management program. But also to strengthen the country's infrastructure and better prepare for the floods.

Mr. President, I am pleased to announce that the Iraqi leadership continues its dialogues with international and regional counterparts to establish itself as a reliable and capable partner.

Indeed, Iraq can be a stabilizing factor in a turbulent region. Instead of being a battleground, Iraq can provide space for regional reconciliation and pave the way for a regional security dialogue.

At the same time, we can not ignore that Iraq faces serious challenges in preventing its territory from becoming the scene of various rivalries.

So, to everyone who feels challenged, I say: imposing an additional burden on Iraq is really the last thing this country needs.

Mr. President, On 29 April, the United Nations launched the Humanitarian Response Plan for 2019, in line with Iraq's humanitarian plans.

Humanitarian needs remain high. Many displaced citizens continue to face serious obstacles to their return to their homes.

Our Stabilization Fund has reached a major milestone through the rehabilitation of the first 1,000 housing units out of 15,000 planned for rehabilitation in the old city of Mosul. The completion was a continuation of previous successes in the rehabilitation of housing in Anbar province, where thousands of houses have already been rehabilitated.

In addition, the Stabilization Fund has completed the rehabilitation of several facilities, such as Mosul University, which currently hosts more than 20,000 students. A third main bridge was also restored in western Anbar, allowing more than 75,000 people access to basic services, such as hospitals and schools.

Mr. President, let me now turn to the issue of missing Kuwaitis, nationals of other countries and lost Kuwaiti property, including the national archives.

I would like to thank the States members of the tripartite mechanism for satellite imagery, which, in addition to witness testimony, has played a vital role in identifying the potential locations of missing Kuwaitis.

After years of hard work by many, I wish to commend the recent efforts of the Iraqi Ministry of Defense in particular. I sincerely hope that we will be able to announce positive results soon.

Clearly, it is important that Iraq continue its efforts, including the location of national archives and other Kuwaiti property. We are all aware of its importance as an integral part of Kuwait's national heritage.

Mr. President, I would like to conclude by referring to my recent visit to Sinjar, which brings together many of the points I have just raised. In Sinjar, I saw terrible destruction. That was what he did five years ago.

Regrettably, little has changed since the liberation of Sinjar. Many people still live in tents on the mountain they fled to at the start of the terrorist campaign.

In August, the world will commemorate the horrific events of five years ago. However, the existence of a single administration and the provision of security as a basis for the reconstruction of Sinjar have not yet been achieved.

In conclusion, Mr. President, yes, the challenges facing Iraq are complex, but with all these challenges, I would like to express - once again - our continued and strong commitment to help and support where we can.

President Barham Salih has stated very soon that the situation in Iraq is not good because the Iraqi people deserve much better. However, the situation is improving. This will take some time. But we will succeed with great determination and concerted action, he said. How right he is to say.

• Upvote 2

United Kingdom on the situation in the Middle East (Iraq) - Media Stakeout (21 May 2019)

United Nations
Published on May 21, 2019
Informal comments to the media by H.E. Karen Pierce, Permanent Representative of the United Kingdom to the United Nations, on the situation in the Middle East.

• Upvote 1

The US envoy to the Security Council announced his country's support for the government of Abdul Mahdi and praised the role of Iraqi forces in extending security

New York - Conscious follow-up

US Permanent Representative to the UN Security Council, Jonathan Cohan, thanked the Iraqi government and its forces for stability and security of the region.

"Iraq has made great progress in the security field, and today it is working on the reconstruction of areas affected by terrorism," he said in a speech on Tuesday.

"We support the government of Abdul Mahdi in the phase of filling vacancies and activating political dialogue."

• Upvote 1

Briefing to the UN Security Council by SRSG Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert

UN Iraq
Special Representative of the United Nations Secretary-General for Iraq and head of the United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI), Ms. Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert, briefing at the 8531st meeting of the United Nations Security Council on the situation concerning Iraq, held in New York on Tuesday, 21 May 2019.

SRSG J

• Upvote 1

Halabousi discusses with UNDP the UNDP projects in liberated cities

Baghdad - conscious

President of the House of Representatives Mohamed Halabousi received on Tuesday the new Resident Representative of the United Nations Development Program in Iraq Zina Ali Ahmed and the accompanying delegation.

"The importance of the work of the United Nations organizations and their role in humanitarian work, especially UNDP projects in the liberated cities, which have been severely damaged by the organization of the terrorist advocate," said Halaboussi during the meeting. Reconstruction to help return displaced people.

The Speaker commended the work of the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) in Nineveh and Anbar and promised to urge the Government to expedite the payment of its financial share to the Program Fund in order to encourage donor countries to pay their obligations.

For her part, praised the director of the United Nations Development Program in Iraq, the support of the Speaker of the House of Representatives for its programs in the field of reconstruction and restoration of infrastructure in cities liberated from the organization calling for the terrorist, indicating its willingness to work with the Iraqi government, to achieve the goals of sustainable development.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

132203.jpg?width=750&&height=375

2019/05/22 10:14
  • Number of readings 166
  • Section: Iraq
  •  
  •  

Iraq's UN representative to the Security Council: Service funds and reconstruction go into the pockets of corrupt

BAGHDAD - The UN representative in Iraq said on Wednesday (May 22nd, 2019) in a speech to the UN Security Council that corruption prevents the development of services in Iraq and goes with money to pockets of corrupt. 

"It is no secret that the authorities, institutions, mechanisms and systems in Iraq continue to struggle against deep-rooted problems that often impede the implementation of urgent and strong responses from the government to urgent needs such as reconstruction, development and security," Blaschart told the Security Council. 

"Corruption takes away the money that had to be spent on public services and placed it in the pockets of the corrupt, and it hinders economic activity and development," the UN official said, referring to corruption at all levels in Iraq.

She expressed optimism about the work of the Iraqi government in the fight against corruption, quoted Prime Minister Adel Abdul-Mahdi as saying that "corruption distorts the image of the state and reputation at the local and global level." 

"The change will not happen overnight, so the problem of corruption has to be highlighted repeatedly," said the head of the UN mission in Iraq. 

"Iraq will not achieve its full potential without the active political, social and economic participation of women and youth," she said, referring to the organization of the mission and its participation in a number of women and youth events across Iraq, noting that they are important experiences for participants. positive". 

"This law will fully protect the legal rights and shelter needs of all victims of domestic violence," she said. "All victims, not victims, are women," she said. And I hope that the lawmakers will follow that by a law under the Iraqi constitution that prohibits all forms of violence and abuse within the family. "

"In Sinjar, I saw the horrific devastation caused by a preacher about five years ago, but unfortunately nothing has changed much since the liberation of Sinjar," Plaschart said, referring to her recent visit to Sinjar, which was seized by a preacher five years ago and committed grave abuses against the Yazidis. They are still living in tents on the roof of the mountain they fled with the beginning of the campaign of terror, in August the world will commemorate the horrific events of five years ago, but no single administration and security have yet been established, The continuation of this is a clear injustice "The Iraqi leadership, in Baghdad and Erbil, should now act urgently and decisively." 

Blaschart expressed her happiness for the Iraqi leadership to continue to communicate with regional and international partners, putting it in the position of reliable partner. 

"Iraq can become a stabilizing factor in the troubled region, and instead of being a battleground that could provide room for regional reconciliation, it paves the way for a regional security dialogue," she said. 

The Special Representative of the Secretary-General of the United Nations in Iraq, warned of signs of regional conflict in it, and likely to return the demonstrations. 

"The Da'id organization still has activity in Iraq and there are fears of a return of demonstrations in Iraq because of the problem of lack of services," she said. 

With regard to regional developments, she warned of "turning Iraq into a battleground for regional conflicts," referring to escalating tensions between Iran and the United States. 
At the same meeting, the Security Council unanimously adopted resolution 2470 to extend the mandate of the United Nations Mission in Iraq (UNAMI) until 31 May 2020.
The resolution affirms Iraq's independence, sovereignty, unity and territorial integrity, and expresses support for Iraq in addressing the challenges it faces in the context of continuing post-conflict stabilization efforts and moving to the task of recovery, reconstruction and reconciliation. 
The Security Council decided that, at the request of the Government of Iraq, the Special Representative of the Secretary-General and the Mission would undertake, inter alia, priority to provide advice, support and assistance to the Government and people of Iraq to promote inclusive political dialogue and promote reconciliation at the national and community level.

The obelisk

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

The Security Council adopts the decision to extend the United Nations Mission in Iraq

Political | 03:09 - 22/05/2019

BAGHDAD 
(Reuters) - The United Nations Security Council unanimously adopted resolution 2470 on Monday to extend the mandate of the United Nations Mission in Iraq (UNAMI) until May 31 next year. 
The Council then heard a briefing from the head of the United Nations Mission in Iraq (UNAMI), Jeanine Blachardt, who stressed that Baghdad could be a stabilizing factor in a volatile region. The resolution affirms Iraq's independence, sovereignty, unity and territorial integrity. 
It supported Iraq in addressing its challenges in the context of continuing post-conflict stabilization efforts and moving to the task of recovery, reconstruction and reconciliation.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

The US envoy to the Security Council announced his country's support for the government of Abdul Mahdi and praised the role of Iraqi forces in extending security

New York - Conscious follow-up

US Permanent Representative to the UN Security Council, Jonathan Cohan, thanked the Iraqi government and its forces for stability and security of the region.

"Iraq has made great progress in the security field, and today it is working on the reconstruction of areas affected by terrorism," he said in a speech on Tuesday.

"We support the government of Abdul Mahdi in the phase of filling vacancies and activating political dialogue."

• Upvote 2

Political  24-05-2019  13:22  0  59

United Nations warns of the return of «urging» to Iraq

img

The United Nations envoy in Iraq, Genin Hennes Plachkart, called for broad international support to prevent extremists from organizing a "push" to restore a foothold in the country, Iraqi Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi announced the formation of a higher committee for community peace in the country.

"If the issue of the return of the Da'ash fighters and their families from Syria to Iraq is not properly addressed, we risk creating a new fertile ground for a generation of terrorists," the UN envoy said in an intervention before the UN Security Council. "This is not just an Iraqi problem because there are non-Iraqi fighters too," she said, criticizing countries she did not name by saying, "she maintains a strategic distance from her citizens." "The capital Baghdad has started to open and the Green Zone, where there are many government departments and foreign embassies, will be canceled very soon," she said, adding that "the security situation in the capital and throughout the country requires careful monitoring because the threat of extremist Still standing. "

The United Nations envoy quoted a representative of the US-led coalition to fight an unnamed organization as saying recently that the organization "is re-emerging. They rested and moved and became active ». "One of the other dominant security concerns is the armed elements operating outside the government, engaging in illegal or criminal activities that undermine state authority, weaken the economy, and prevent the return of thousands of displaced people," she said.

The UN envoy also criticized the political conflict in Iraq, which has so far hampered the formation of the government a year after national elections. She also spoke of corruption "rampant at all levels in Iraq."

Iraq officially declared a "coup" in late 2017 after three years of bloody battles that left tens of thousands dead and many Iraqi cities destroyed, but the organization's sleeper cells continue to carry out attacks across Iraq.

"There is no return in the sense that it might be wrong to organize a group because it exists originally within cells, within groups and individuals, as well as being integrated in one way or another in the community between the displaced and others," security expert Fadel Abu Raghef told Asharq Al-Awsat. "Indicating that« most of these sleeper cells are not required for the security bodies to be subject to monitoring and follow-up, which means that the majority of those who have been re-attracted to the organization during the past years are originally not listed on the list of wanted ».

"The concept of support that Iraq should receive is financial, logistical and technical support to enable it to realize the societal aspects and infrastructure that continue to impede the return of displaced people and provide an environment in which they can be implemented in one way or another," he said.

Iraqi Prime Minister Adil Abdul-Mahdi canceled the National Reconciliation and Follow-up Committee of the Prime Minister's Office and formed the Committee on Coexistence and Community Peace. "The tasks that will be entrusted to the committee are to carry out the activities and procedures related to national reconciliation to promote coexistence and social peace, as well as follow up the political file of national reconciliation and dialogue with the Iraqi political parties to serve the file of national reconciliation and address the effects of terrorism in all fields, . The statement added that «the tasks of the Committee is also to follow up the affairs of Iraqis abroad and arrange for their return to their country on a voluntary basis, and follow-up the return of displaced persons to their homes and resolve the security, tribal and service problems that hinder it».

• Upvote 2

• yota691 changed the title to Documents .. Important Security Council resolutions on Iraq
Editorial Date: 05/22/2019 • 389 times read
Documents .. Important Security Council resolutions on Iraq
(Baghdad: Al Furat News) The United Nations Security Council decided in its last meeting on 21 May last resolution No. 2470 on Iraq, which contains many of the recommendations as explained in the text of the resolution below.
sport
  • Upvote 3

Urgent ... Documents ... UN Security Council Resolution 2470 on Iraq

25/05/2019 10:43 AM

Urgent ... Documents ... UN Security Council Resolution 2470 on Iraq

http://alahadnews.net/index.php/permalink/158306.html

Of the era of News - Baghdad - special

The United Nations Security Council passed resolution 2470 on Iraq, which includes many resolutions on Iraq, including the amendment of the constitution, the resolution of the disputed areas and the reform of the security sector.

The resolution, adopted by the Al-Ahed News, on Saturday, affirmed "Iraq's independence, sovereignty, unity and territorial integrity and its support for Iraq" in addressing the challenges it faces in pursuing its efforts to stabilize post-conflict and more The need to respond to the needs of all Iraqis, including women, youth, children, displaced persons and persons belonging to ethnic and religious minorities. "

The resolution welcomed "the efforts of the Government of Iraq through its national government program to address corruption and the strengthening of government institutions that have the elements of building and meet the needs."

The resolution called for "strengthening accountability, protecting human rights, judicial reform and law, in full respect for Iraq's sovereignty, in order to consolidate the rule of law in Iraq, as well as supporting the work of the UN investigation team to enhance accountability for compound crimes by a supporter."

"The Secretary-General has requested a report to the Security Council every three months on the progress made towards the fulfillment of all the responsibilities of the Mission, " he said.

The resolution decided "to extend the mandate of the United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq to 31 The Special Representative of the Secretary-General and the Mission, at the request of the Government of Iraq and in the light of the letter from the Minister for Foreign Affairs of Iraq to the Secretary-General. "

The resolution "provides further advice, support and assistance to the Government of Iraq and the Independent High Electoral Commission on the development of procedures for elections and referenda, review the constitution and implement constitutional provisions, Establishing procedures for the settlement of disputed areas, reforming the security sector and implementing reintegration programs for former members of the groups Armed. "

He also stressed "coordination with the Government of Iraq to promote, support and facilitate the coordination and delivery of humanitarian assistance and the return of refugees and displaced persons and the implementation of programs to improve Iraq's ability to provide effective basic civil and social services, including health care and education."

It also stressed "the efforts made by Iraq, the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund and others in the field Economic rehabilitation, capacity-building and enabling conditions for sustainable development, recovery and reconstruction. "

Edited by 6ly410
  • Thanks 5
  • Upvote 7

(Baghdad: Al Furat News) The United Nations Security Council decided in its last meeting on 21 May last resolution No. 2470 on Iraq, which contains many of the recommendations as explained in the text of the resolution below.
sport
sport
sport
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

search couldn't find this article, if posted please delete

SC/13819
21 MAY 2019
8531ST MEETING (PM)

Security Council Extends Mandate of United Nations Assistance Mission in Iraq, Unanimously Adopting Resolution 2470 (2019)

Top Official Calls Political Infighting ‘Costly Obstacle’, as Baghdad’s Permanent Representative Spotlights Gains

The ongoing political infighting is a costly obstacle to progress in Iraq, where corruption remains pervasive and top ministerial posts remain vacant, the senior United Nations official there told the Security Council today, as it decided to extend the mandate of the United Nations assistance mission in that country until 31 May 2020.

Unanimously adopting resolution 2470 (2019), the 15-member Council also decided that the Special Representative of the Secretary-General and Head of the United Nations Assistance Mission in Iraq (UNAMI) will continue to support the country’s Government and people in promoting accountability, as well as protecting human rights, judicial reform, rule of law and women’s empowerment.  Recognizing that the security of United Nations personnel is essential for UNAMI to carry out its work, the Council called upon the Government to continue to provide security and logistical support to the United Nations in Iraq.

Briefing members, the Secretary-General’s Special Representative and Head of UNAMI noted that ministerial appointments have yet to be made a full year after national elections, including to the key Interior, Defence, Justice and Education ministries.  Corruption continues to deter economic activity, hinder business development and hamper Iraq’s credibility, responsiveness and effectiveness, she said, emphasizing that the country must not slip back into the turmoil from which it recently emerged.  If poorly managed, the return of thousands of ISIL fighters could have region-wide security implications, she cautioned.

Recalling the 2018 protests in southern Iraq, she warned that water shortages could ignite social unrest, also noting the many obstacles that displaced citizens face when they try to return to their homes, including lack of civil documentation, the unstable security situation, checkpoint harassment, contaminated houses and inadequate basic services.

She went on to spotlight areas of progress, pointing out the recent signing, after months of negotiations, of an agreement on the formation of a new Kurdistan Regional Government.  “Baghdad is opening up,” she said, stressing that Prime Minister Adil Abdul-Mahdi has lived up to his promise to return the city to its people.  This progress and more cannot be compromised by a new breed of terrorism.

In the ensuing discussion, Council members applauded Iraq’s Government on the recent progress it has made in the fight against terrorism.  The United Kingdom’s representative noted the significance of today’s meeting – the first since the liberation of the last territory under the control of Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL/Da’esh).  “It is very important that we reflect on the progress made,” he said, noting, however, that erasing the group’s ideology will take some time.

Council members emphasized the importance of empowering women by ensuring their full participation in peace and reconciliation processes.  They stressed the need to ensure the protection of internally displaced persons and national minorities, urging Iraq’s Government to make basic services available to all Iraqis.

Germany’s representative noted that Iraq’s security challenges are compounded by the effects of climate change, emphasizing the critical need for adequate risk assessment and risk management strategies in dealing with such challenges.

The representative of the United States stressed the importance of filling the Cabinet vacancies and of restoring key services.  He said the unanimous vote to renew the UNAMI’s mandate underscores the international commitment to the stability of Iraq.

However, the Russian Federation’s representative cautioned against moves to draw Iraq into an artificial conflict, stressing that dialogue can replace the escalation of tension in the Persian Gulf.

Kuwait’s representative said he shares the Secretary-General’s regret that information on hundreds of missing Kuwaiti nationals remains inadequate.  No remains have been recovered since 2004, he said, vowing that his country will spare no effort to discover the fate of the missing Kuwaiti nationals and stands ready to help Iraq expedite implementation of its commitments.

Iraq’s representative, while welcoming the mandate extension, said that despite the incomplete formation of the Government, the authorities are still focused on implementing the national programme, preserving gains for the Iraqi people and moving forward with reconstruction.  He noted that the threat of ISIL still looms in spite of the group’s defeat, citing Government efforts to combat ISIL’s dark ideology and prosecute perpetrators of crimes against humanity.  It has also adopted a strategy to combat violent extremism and hatred “so that we can reach a society that believes in moderation, coexistence and tolerance,” he said.  “If it was not for the cooperation on the part of everyone, we would not have defeated terrorism.”

Also speaking today were representatives of France, Côte d’Ivoire, South Africa, Equatorial Guinea, Dominican Republic, Poland, Peru, Belgium, China and Indonesia.

The meeting began at 3:09 p.m. and ended at 5:03 p.m.

Briefing

JEANINE HENNIS-PLASSCHAERT, Special Representative of the Secretary-General and Head of United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI), recalled her recent visit to a mass grave in the Samawah desert, saying it was a stark reminder of Saddam Hussein’s horrific crimes against his own people.  The visit also made clear the extraordinary nature of Iraq’s transition, she said, adding that much time and hard work are needed for democracy to truly take root.  Describing the ongoing political infighting as a costly obstacle, she pointed out that, a full year after national elections, ministerial appointments are yet to be made for key posts, including Interior, Defence, Justice and Education.  Political parties have still not demonstrated willingness to compromise, she added.  Chairs, deputies and rapporteurs are now being selected for parliamentary committees, which is critical since laws are still pending, she said.  On a positive note, she said that, following months of negotiations, agreement was recently reached on the formation of the new Kurdistan Regional Government, which could be in place in June, barring further problems.

She went on to state that corruption remains pervasive at all levels, deterring economic activity and hindering business development.  “[Corruption] hampers not only Iraq’s credibility but also its viability, responsiveness and effectiveness,” she added.  With the hydro-carbons sector serving as the backbone of Iraq’s economy, the common good should trump private and partisan interests, thereby enabling the whole country to benefit, she said, also emphasizing the need to pass revenue-sharing laws.  Women and young people must be included in all political, social and economic sectors, she said, adding:  “Regrettably, Iraq is yet to appoint its first female minister.”  She went on to state:  “Baghdad is opening up,” adding that very soon the Green Zone will no longer exist.  Prime Minister Adil Abdul-Mahdi has lived up to his promise by returning the city to its people.  However, attacks do continue and Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL/Da’esh) is still out there, she said, emphasizing the critical importance of ensuring that Iraq does not slip back into the turmoil from which it recently emerged.

She went on to underline the potential challenge posed by thousands of returning ISIL-fighters, cautioning:  “If poorly managed, the issue will impact us all.”  Armed actors operating outside State control continue to exert economic and social influence throughout the country, weakening State authority and the national economy, she said.  As seen during the 2018 protests in the south, Iraq’s water shortages have the potential to ignite social unrest, she said, emphasizing the need to plan carefully for all weather extremes and to develop a comprehensive programme of water collection and management.  Many displaced citizens continue to face obstacles to returning home, including lack of documentation, the unstable security situation, checkpoint harassment, contaminated houses and inadequate basic services.  She noted the work done to rehabilitate thousands of homes in Mosul’s Old City, as well as to rebuild several structures now serving as schools and medical facilities.  Turning to the issue of missing Kuwaitis, she emphasized recent efforts by Iraq’s Ministry of Defence and called upon the Government to continue its work, including the identification of the missing Kuwaiti National Archives and other property.

Statements

JONATHAN R. COHEN (United States) said today’s unanimous vote to renew UNAMI’s mandate underscores the international community’s commitment to Iraq’s stability.  The renewal reflects the transition from crisis to stability, he added.  Emphasizing the need to fill Cabinet vacancies and restoring key services, he also called for placing all armed groups under effective State control.  He encouraged Government to redouble efforts to reintegrate victims of violence into society, especially children.

VLADIMIR K. SAFRONKOV (Russian Federation) emphasized that historically, Iraq’s stability is important to the security of the entire Middle East and cautioned against moves to draw the country into an artificial conflict.  The escalation of tension in the Persian Gulf can be replaced with dialogue, he said, stressing that Iraq can foster normal relations with its neighbours.  In that regard, the inter-parliamentary conference that brought together representatives of Iran, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Jordan and Syria was significant, he said, also welcoming efforts by Kuwait and Iraq to resolve issues relating to missing Kuwaiti nationals and property.  The Russian Federation provided military support to increase Iraq’s capacity to combat terrorists and enhanced their economic ties, he said.

ANNE GUEGUEN (France), welcoming the unanimous renewal of UNAMI’s mandate, said Iraq is in a new phase of stabilization following victory against Da’esh.  Positive dynamics, including the Government’s fight against corruption, should continue.  The humanitarian situation, including that of displaced persons, needs attention, especially in areas retaken from Da’esh, she said, stressing also that the fight against impunity is key to reconciliation.  Finally, she emphasized the importance of regional dialogue, expressing her delegation’s confidence in UNAMI and in the Special Representative to implement the three priorities she laid out.

CHRISTOPH HEUSGEN (Germany), noting that his country has spent $1.4 billion on Iraq’s reconstruction since 2014, called for the filling of outstanding Government posts, and for the fight against corruption to remain at the top of the Government’s agenda.  Even in fighting impunity, human rights and other aspects of international law must be upheld and respected, he emphasized.  He went on to further stress the crucial need to include women in peace and security mechanisms, adding that implementation of objectives to this end, as set out in Iraq’s National Action Plan, requires an adequate budget.  He underlined the need to reform the justice sector and to do more to integrate children born of sexual violence.  On water and resources, he noted that Iraq’s security challenges are compounded by the effects of climate change, adding that adequate risk-assessment and risk-management strategies are critical in dealing with such challenges.

GBOLIÉ DÉSIRÉ WULFRAN IPO (Côte d’Ivoire) welcomed the improved security situation in Iraq, saying the momentum must be maintained.  “To be successful, the efforts of the international community must be fully in line with the engagement of Iraqi authorities to strengthen the legitimacy and effectiveness of the State,” he said.  The Government must be formed as soon as possible, and officials must be willing to make compromises in filling vacant posts in order to facilitate reconstruction and economic development.  Turning to humanitarian matters, he said particular attention must be paid to internally displaced persons, including women and children, who remain extremely vulnerable.  He encouraged cooperation between Iraqi and Kuwaiti authorities in finding a solution to the issue of missing Kuwaiti nationals and archives.

MANSOUR AYYAD SH.A. ALOTAIBI (Kuwait) noted that Iraq suffered painful events while it was fighting ISIL.  Turning to the missing Kuwaiti nationals and property, he said that he shares the Secretary-General’s regret that information on hundreds of missing Kuwaiti nationals remains inadequate.  No remains have been recovered since 2004, he added.  Applauding the commitment of Security Council members on this issue, he said Kuwait will spare no effort to discover the fate of its missing nationals and stands ready to provide assistance to expedite implementation of the relevant commitments.  The missing Kuwaiti archives are critical to the country’s heritage and meaning, he emphasized.

STEPHEN MAHLABADISHAGO NTSOANE (South Africa) expressed support for the mandate renewal and called for an inclusive Government that will bring together all diverse aspects of Iraqi society into governance structures.  National reconciliation and unity are vital to avoiding future challenges, she said, proposing use of the Peacebuilding Commission to support the Government’s inclusive efforts, especially in institution-building and post-conflict reconstruction.  South Africa also welcomes the increased involvement of regional organizations in the political process and reaffirms their role in helping Iraq’s reconstruction.

NARCISO SIPACO RIBALA (Equatorial Guinea), noting that efforts are under way to finalize a new Government, said this is a major step forward towards democracy.  However, to be more effective, the process of forming the Government must include women and representatives of minority populations, he emphasized, cautioning also that delay in finalizing the Government will have a negative impact on its 2018-2022 programme.  He welcomed the Prime Minister’s announcement of a strategy to fight against corruption, also stressing the vital importance of addressing the issue of ISIL fighters returning home with their families.

MADELIN ESTHER LUNA (Dominican Republic) cautioned that delay in finalizing the Government formation will have a negative effect on the implementation of a Government service delivery programme and on the operation of State institutions.  She welcomed the inclusion of women in leadership positions, the appointment of four women to various committees in the Kurdistan region, in particular.  She also emphasized that, with terrorism continuing to pose a threat, it is vital that security forces update their capabilities to combat them, she said, stressing the need for UNAMI’s continued logistical and technical support in that regard.

STEPHEN HICKEY (United Kingdom) said it is significant that today’s meeting of the Council is the first since the last territory held by ISIL was liberated.  “It is very important that we reflect on the progress made,” he said, noting, however, that erasing ISIL’S ideology will take some time.  Looking ahead, the immediate focus should be on ensuring that the conditions that gave rise to ISIL do not resurface, he emphasized.  The Government of Iraq must continue its reconstruction efforts and ensure that Iraqis can gain access to civil documentation.  Reconciliation at all levels of society must be front and centre, he said, welcoming the important role the United Nations plays in ensuring an accountable and effective security sector.  Accountability is also important in ensuring justice for survivors, he said, adding that women’s meaningful participation will support reconciliation and progress.

JOANNA WRONECKA (Poland) expressed concern about the lack of progress on filling vacant ministerial posts and called upon political parties to ensure the swift completion of the Government formation process.  The authorities must also deliver basic public services and meet the needs of all Iraqis.  Women and girls must be protected from gender-based violence, she added, welcoming the full implementation of Iraq’s national plan on women and peace and security.  Expressing concern for the situation of children, she called upon the Government to guarantee UNAMI’s access to detained children, develop non-judicial measures as alternatives to prosecution and detention, and ensure the reintegration of children formerly associated with armed groups.

GUSTAVO MEZA-CUADRA (Peru) stressed the need to provide basic services, rebuild the country, fight corruption and promote the rule of law.  The international community must support these actions while monitoring the actions of the remnants of ISIL and ensuring accountability for their crimes.  Iraq has drawn closer to its neighbours for the building of sustainable peace, he said, while expressing concern over the vulnerability of the internally displaced.

MARC PECSTEEN DE BUYTSWERVE (Belgium) noted that Iraq finds itself in a decisive moment of its history, facing numerous challenges, including security threats posed by ISIL.  Regarding the formation of a new Government, he said that developing strong institutions is key.  While expressing support for Iraq’s economic development, reconstruction and the return of displaced families, he said these processes cannot move forward without the removal of munitions and explosive ordnance.  Reconciliation must involve all segments of society, he said, welcoming Iraq’s outreach to its neighbours in order to establish good relations.

YAO SHAOJUN (China) noted Iraq’s progress in the fight against terrorists, its openness towards its neighbours, the establishment of the 2018-2022 Government programme and the formation of a strategy for fighting corruption.  Iraq is at a crucial stage and must consolidate its counter-terrorism gain, he emphasized, adding that terrorists must be brought to justice under Iraq’s laws.  The international community must provide support for the country’s economic recovery and accelerated reconstruction so that the Government can enhance the delivery of public services, he said, adding that inclusive dialogue is the key to national reconciliation, which contributes to regional peace and stability.

DIAN TRIANSYAH DJANI (Indonesia), Council President for May, spoke in his national capacity, saying that swift and effective completion of Government formation is essential for the new Administration to gain the trust and support of the people.  Outstanding issues must be resolved through constitution-based dialogue and consensus.  Noting that ISIL members remain active in many provinces, he stressed the need for enhanced international and regional cooperation to address security challenges.  The resolution adopted today not only renews UNAMI’s mandate, but also improves it, he said.  It is important that the Mission continue to lend its support to the new Government as it embarks on its new programme to address many complex and difficult challenges and put the country on the path to sustainable peace.

MOHAMMED HUSSEIN BAHR ALULOOM (Iraq) said that despite the incomplete formation of the Government, the authorities can implement its programme, preserve gains for the Iraqi people and move forward with reconstruction.  The situation is improving significantly, he added.  “If it was not for the cooperation on the part of everyone, we would not have defeated terrorism.”  Emphasizing that the relationship between Baghdad and Irbil today is the best it has ever been, he said security forces in the capital are close to opening all roads closed since 2003.  Iraq will not spare any effort to promote security and stability in the region, he said, noting also that the number of displaced persons has dropped from 4.5 million to 1.8 million people.

The Government is working to provide rehabilitation assistance to all Yazidis and to pass a law on domestic violence, he continued.  Iraq’s cooperation with United Nations agencies, including the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), continues with a view to protecting children.  Efforts are also under way to mitigate the effects of climate change in order to guarantee food and water security.  Iraq is fully aware that a lot remains to be done to fulfil the Iraqi people’s aspirations, he said, noting that they aspire to political reform and stability, as well as an end to corruption.

Despite the defeat of ISIL, the threat that the group poses is still not over, he said.  Iraq is working to combat its dark ideology through development projects and legislation.  It is also working to prosecute perpetrators of crimes against humanity and war crimes, he said.  Iraq has adopted a strategy to combat hatred and violent extremism “so that we can reach a society that believes in moderation, coexistence and tolerance”.  Turning to Iraq-Kuwait relations, he said that his country’s Government has reviewed their cooperation in the economic and development spheres and agreed to resolve many pending issues.  Tomorrow, Iraq’s Prime Minister will visit Kuwait, he said, underlining that Iraq is committed to resolve any outstanding issues.

https://www.un.org/press/en/2019/sc13819.doc.htm

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Briefing to the UN Security Council by SRSG Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert

AGF-l7_BWp9_91bcPVg-Aes1y3lK8LXPjeQ4VtkS

SUBSCRIBE 497
Special Representative of the United Nations Secretary-General for Iraq and head of the United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI), Ms. Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert, briefing at the 8531st meeting of the United Nations Security Council on the situation concerning Iraq, held in New York on Tuesday, 21 May 2019. SRSG Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert’s briefing is also available on the UNIraq website at the following links: English: https://bit.ly/2JCPu19

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• yota691 changed the title to Israeli hints bombarded the port of Beirut and Iraq
  • Adam Montana locked this topic