Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

Jump to content
umbertino

May 18, 2018 - Articles

Recommended Posts

Toni Morrison remembered: ‘Her irreverence was godly’

 

The Nobel prize-winning novelist, arguably the greatest American writer of her time, has died at the age of 88. Here, leading contemporaries pay tribute to her

 

Tracy K Smith, Kwame Kwei-Armah, Bryan Stevenson and Jason Reynolds

Sun 11 Aug 2019 09.00 BST

 

 

4308.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=67dc1355b8bee9293637ec1c525fd68f
Toni Morrison photographed in New York, 2012
Photograph: Caroll Taveras
 
 
More pics
 
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pennsylvania fire: five children die in blaze at daycare centre

 

Four of the victims were at the centre overnight because their parents were working, local media reported

 

Associated Press

Mon 12 Aug 2019 01.28 BST

 
 
2052.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=02ded21615c6aad6898e43a658b54a95
Fire investigators have been working to find the cause of the blaze at the Pennsylvania daycare centre that killed five children
Photograph: Greg Wohlford/AP
 
 
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How wonderful to watch Simone Biles' defiant joy in these dark times

 

Biles has made history yet again – and has every reason to celebrate

 

 

Wed 14 Aug 2019 11.00 BST Last modified on Wed 14 Aug 2019 14.24 BST

 
 
 
 
2546.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=993d7c0bbc848799f4ebb6c9a7f45c25
‘Biles is a woman who has had to overcome insurmountable challenges.’
Photograph: Charlie Riedel/AP
 
 
 
 
 
I watched her yesterday performing on TV ....What an AWESOME athlete she is
 
Judge for yourselves
 
 
 
 
 

 

  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Philadelphia: several officers injured in 'active' shooting situation, officials say

 

Police sergeant tweeted at least one suspect was firing at officers, video shows a huge police presence

 

Associated Press

Wed 14 Aug 2019 22.44 BST First published on Wed 14 Aug 2019 22.34 BST

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man dies after taco-eating contest in California

 

Fresno Grizzlies ‘devastated to learn’ of Dana Hutchings’ death following event at minor-league baseball game

 

Associated Press

Thu 15 Aug 2019 01.46 BST

 

 
 
3000.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=a7ee0bf61bef8b55f52681d6a4fd4e41
Fans arrive at Chukchansi Park in Fresno for a minor-league baseball game in 2015
Photograph: Eric Paul Zamora/AP

 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/aug/14/taco-eating-contest-death-fresno-california

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote

How wonderful to watch Simone Biles' defiant joy in these dark times

 

Biles has made history yet again – and has every reason to celebrate

 

 

Wed 14 Aug 2019 11.00 BST Last modified on Wed 14 Aug 2019 14.24 BST

 
 
 
 
2546.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=993d7c0bbc848799f4ebb6c9a7f45c25
‘Biles is a woman who has had to overcome insurmountable challenges.’
Photograph: Charlie Riedel/AP
 
 
 
 
 
I watched her yesterday performing on TV ....What an AWESOME athlete she is
 
Judge for yourselves
 
 
 
 
 

 

  • Downvote 1

 

 

End Quote

 

 

You anonymous coward negger are way beyond schizophrenic ( for which I'm sorry....The thing is indeed serious and deserves immediate medical attention)....Look at the articles you are negging !!!!    WTF.....Incomprehensible in the least....Wishing you a speedy recovery but it's going to be long if you don't act immediately before it gets worse.....

  • Downvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, umbertino said:

You anonymous coward negger are way beyond schizophrenic ( for which I'm sorry....The thing is indeed serious and deserves immediate medical attention)....Look at the articles you are negging !!!!    WTF.....Incomprehensible in the least....Wishing you a speedy recovery but it's going to be long if you don't act immediately before it gets worse..

Not the articles.

THE SOURCE!

you need higher quality news sources!

even Yahoo rates WAY above the guardian!

you stop bringing articles here from the guardian and i will stop negging you!

in the topic

 

i have only negged the Guardian sourced posts. it is an anti American rag on par with the enquirer quality. every thing else in that thread is (somewhat) interesting.

you insist on putting multiple stories with most being of guardian source together, i assume to cut down on the number of neggs you get.

quit posting guardian articles = no neggs! Jeez! are you stupid? if you hit your hand with a hammer and it hurts why do it again?

you insist on posting what you want! so i insist on negging you for the anti American stories!

suck it up buttercup.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote

You've chosen to ignore content by Waaa.

End Quote

 

 

It's with  more than immense pain that I have to announce to you, Waa ( I had already told you so...No prob...I'll repeat it) I can't / don't want / am not interested  to read your post(s) since I put you on ignore.....

 

I still hope that you and the likes of you, meaning all those who don't like , don't agree ( fully legitimately) with my articles and posts for whatever reason  ( including the anonymous coward negger) will have the courtesy and reciprocate by putting me in their  ignore list....Fast, easy and painless.....

 

I do confirm all I wrote in my previous posts because it's true and if one is intellectually honest with himself / herself will acknowledge just that ( if one is intellectually honest, I repeat...If not....it's his / her problem)

 

 

Have a great weekend now

Edited by umbertino
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Peter Fonda, celebrated actor known for Easy Rider, dies aged 79

 

Son of Henry Fonda and brother of Jane Fonda died after battling lung cancer, family says

 

Guardian staff and agencies

Fri 16 Aug 2019 23.42 BST

 

 

 

3008.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=66644e7e5c561f889b29b1bc4d75a6e4
Fonda in Easy Rider
Photograph: Moviestore/Rex/Shutterstock
 
 
More pics
 
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

French waiter shot dead for being 'too slow with sandwich', say witnesses

 

Police open murder inquiry after customer attacked waiter at a pizzeria on the outskirts of Paris

 

Agence France-Presse

Sun 18 Aug 2019 03.18 BST Last modified on Sun 18 Aug 2019 15.11 BST

 
 
3555.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=c67527d8dd647b51e3e224bbf30db53c
Policemen stand in front of the eatery where a waiter was shot dead by a customer allegedly angry at having to wait for a sandwich, in the eastern Paris suburb of Noisy-le-Grand
Photograph: Tiphaine Le Liboux/AFP/Getty Images
 
 
 
 
I'd guess that some  / many French are wondeful People but some are indeed bizarre....I happened to visit Paris a few times during a period of  roughly 20 years as it's a very beautiful city......While Parisiennes are ( in my own experience) many times unpredictable in the least
 
Well ...Everytime I was there I had to argue  / discuss with someone who usually had to deal with tourists ( in bars, restaurants, shops, even at the Airport a couple iof times) and if you deal with tourists you're supposed to be AT LEAST  a sort of kind, gentle, understanding (at least in humane terms), more or less patient Individual.....
 
Not in Paris......First...If you don't speak perfect French they already start getting nervous ( I had my little Italian-French dictionary with me but I do not speak French, sorry so I did try with English a lot of times)...Even ( my own experience  being alone, with friends and once with my wife) if you are kind ( which should be the standard mode most time and esp if you are the one asking) in asking something, anything, you get ( often at least) a curt, blunt reply ( if at all, and in superfast French, so...)...Plus a lot of other things that happened also to a lot of friends and acquaintances of mine......
 
Point being probably ( me thinks, I might be wrong) that Paris is such a wonderful city that their reasoning is   " Oh well,  why bother and treat those People nicely and kindly...They'll come back anyway..."...I repeat...That's my own experience but confirmed by a lot of other Folks...
 
I've been told that in other places in France, the situation is a lot better...In France I visited only Paris so far.......
Edited by umbertino
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jada Pinkett Smith: 'The word "wife": it's a golden cage, swallow the key'

 

She put her film career on hold and let husband Will Smith become a megastar. Now Jada Pinkett Smith’s candid chat show is opening up truthful conversations around kitchen tables everywhere

 

Sun 18 Aug 2019 08.00 BST

by Sophie Heawood

 

 

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2019/aug/18/jada-pinkett-smith-the-word-wife-its-a-golden-cage-swallow-the-key

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rio police takes down bus kidnapper with no hostages injured

 

Source: Xinhua| 2019-08-20 22:04:48|Editor: ZX

 

 

RIO DE JANEIRO, Aug. 20 (Xinhua) -- A man who had taken a bus full of passengers' hostage on a bridge in Rio de Janeiro in Brazil was shot to death by a police sniper, local police said on Tuesday.

 

 

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2019-08/20/c_138324132.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 11:38 AM, umbertino said:

French waiter shot dead for being 'too slow with sandwich', say witnesses

 

Police open murder inquiry after customer attacked waiter at a pizzeria on the outskirts of Paris

 

Agence France-Presse

Sun 18 Aug 2019 03.18 BST Last modified on Sun 18 Aug 2019 15.11 BST

 
 
3555.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=c67527d8dd647b51e3e224bbf30db53c
Policemen stand in front of the eatery where a waiter was shot dead by a customer allegedly angry at having to wait for a sandwich, in the eastern Paris suburb of Noisy-le-Grand
Photograph: Tiphaine Le Liboux/AFP/Getty Images
 
 
 
 
I'd guess that some  / many French are wondeful People but some are indeed bizarre....I happened to visit Paris a few times during a period of  roughly 20 years as it's a very beautiful city......While Parisiennes are ( in my own experience) many times unpredictable in the least
 
Well ...Everytime I was there I had to argue  / discuss with someone who usually had to deal with tourists ( in bars, restaurants, shops, even at the Airport a couple iof times) and if you deal with tourists you're supposed to be AT LEAST  a sort of kind, gentle, understanding (at least in humane terms), more or less patient Individual.....
 
Not in Paris......First...If you don't speak perfect French they already start getting nervous ( I had my little Italian-French dictionary with me but I do not speak French, sorry so I did try with English a lot of times)...Even ( my own experience  being alone, with friends and once with my wife) if you are kind ( which should be the standard mode most time and esp if you are the one asking) in asking something, anything, you get ( often at least) a curt, blunt reply ( if at all, and in superfast French, so...)...Plus a lot of other things that happened also to a lot of friends and acquaintances of mine......
 
Point being probably ( me thinks, I might be wrong) that Paris is such a wonderful city that their reasoning is   " Oh well,  why bother and treat those People nicely and kindly...They'll come back anyway..."...I repeat...That's my own experience but confirmed by a lot of other Folks...
 
I've been told that in other places in France, the situation is a lot better...In France I visited only Paris so far.......

I wonder if sad gunman was banned from restaurant?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No Hollywood ending: Los Angeles property listed for $1bn sells at $100,000

 

The 157-acre lot in the Hollywood Hills has been the subject of complex litigation over who actually owns the property

 

Andrew Gumbel in Los Angeles

Wed 21 Aug 2019 19.21 BST

 

 

5118.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=7ae24c3989f48087c4b37269c6626b95
In Los Angeles, California, the 157-acre parcel known at the Mountain has sold for a mere $100,000
Photograph: Matthew Momberger
 
 
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New blood test by scientists ‘predicts if you will die in next 10 years’

 

Study has found 14 biomarkers associated with death risk

 

By
Tim HanlonNews Reporter
  • 17:42, 21 AUG 2019

 

 

 

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/new-blood-test-scientists-predicts-18979302

 

 

Edited by umbertino
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2019 at 6:28 AM, Waaa said:

Not the articles.

THE SOURCE!

you need higher quality news sources!

even Yahoo rates WAY above the guardian!

you stop bringing articles here from the guardian and i will stop negging you!

in the topic

 

i have only negged the Guardian sourced posts. it is an anti American rag on par with the enquirer quality. every thing else in that thread is (somewhat) interesting.

you insist on putting multiple stories with most being of guardian source together, i assume to cut down on the number of neggs you get.

quit posting guardian articles = no neggs! Jeez! are you stupid? if you hit your hand with a hammer and it hurts why do it again?

you insist on posting what you want! so i insist on negging you for the anti American stories!

suck it up buttercup.

 

 

 

 

Are you seriously reasoning like that?????? I can't believe it!...You're much much worse than I thought......

AN OBITUARY IS AN OBITUARY IN ANY ONLINE SITE / PAPER...A sport victory is a sport victory...A writer of world-wide fame  obituary ( Toni Morrison) is a writer of world-wide fame obituary everywhere!!!!!! An accident is an accident...so  why negging that? You infact should be formally forbidden / prevented from negging non-political stuff imo....It's only logical....

 

THAT'S ONLY S-T-U-P-I-D of you !!!!!!! You look like an idiot by negging non-political posts! don't you get it? even articles talking enthusiastically about US  athletes victories or whatever ......You still neg...That's pure idiocy.....

 

And most important of all....Who in in this world gives / gave you the authorization to decide / tell from which sources one can take and post articles??? Who gave you this authority and power for God's sake? You yourself gave that to you...which is typical of weirdos...But you can't do that!!!!!

 

The head here is Mr.Montana...If he (and he only)  tells me " Umbertino, don't post anymore articles from the Guardian" then I'll obey right away as he's the undisputed boss here ...Not you or anybody else...You are a zero, nothing, have zero power on me..You are less important to me then a bug's shht!!!!! You can't command me, nor order me anything!

 

Ask / write Mr. Montana about that and see what he tells you! Do it! I do encourage you to!  Let's see what he replies!!!!!

 

You cannot and do not decide and will not ever decide who can post what here on DV...CAN YOU GET THAT IN YOUR KNUCKLE-HEAD? IS THAT SO DIFFICULT TO GRASP?

 

Again...You have the option of skipping my articles and/ or put me on ignore .... God, I explained this elementary  thing to this guy a thousand times by now... Will he ever get it????????? Nobody ever forced you to read my posts...Nobody.....

 

Will he ever learn?????? I doubt it......

Edited by umbertino
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@umbertino you know I have great respect for you even though we have opposing perspectives on many things.  I definitely uphold your right to post as you wish (within forum rules).  My question is "why?"  I see people posting all day long on here (or facebook, etc.), and I think to myself, "don't they have anything better to do?"  Surely your time is more valuable than this.  Getting into strife with people you don't even know causes undue and unnecessary stress.  Maybe shift your focus - just a thought.

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ours is not to reason Why,

Ours is to read or ignore.

I don't do FB and I do skip or ignore a lot of post because of title content. 

I believe life on this forum would be less agrivating if people would do the same. 

Don't read the posts of people that irritate you. 

 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote

 

I watched her yesterday performing on TV ....What an AWESOME athlete she is
 
Judge for yourselves
 
 
 
 
 

 

  • Downvote 2

 

End Quote

 

 

Ok....2 anti-American awesome athlete neggers ...Is it beacause she's black?...LET ME THINK...fASCIST, RACIST...yEAH...mAKES SENSE...

 

bUT YOU ALSO NEGGED ARTICLES ABOUT THE  US SOCCER FEMALE TEAM  WORLD CUP VICTORY....

 

You're giving to the terms "weird", "weirdo",   "illogical",  " senseless"  a new meaning most definitely......

 

But...If that makes you happy.......So be it.....

 

After all, Nero was the Emperor of Rome for a while ( and then burned the whole city) and he also elected  a horse as one of his Senators......??????

 

Some people, Man??????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Shedagal said:

@umbertino you know I have great respect for you even though we have opposing perspectives on many things.  I definitely uphold your right to post as you wish (within forum rules).  My question is "why?"  I see people posting all day long on here (or facebook, etc.), and I think to myself, "don't they have anything better to do?"  Surely your time is more valuable than this.  Getting into strife with people you don't even know causes undue and unnecessary stress.  Maybe shift your focus - just a thought.

 

Thanks and I do respect you a lot as well...Mine is a simple Principle and Logic thing and concept and I know that about this issue I'm right...Since it's strictly logical.....

 

I already recognized and acknowledged the right of everybody ( even if I do no not share it) to have  political posts of mine negged  as if there's no tomorrow as Politics inflames Folks ( including me) so I do accept being negged ( even if I'd never do it to others, but we are all different) on political articles ...

 

But why negging non-political articles????...That's dead wrong and should be stigmatized by the PTB here and also from right-wing folks ( granted they are, as I know , many are) intellectually honest.....I t already happened In the past and I always have appreciated that....

 

Why should I accept the UNMOTIVATED HATE without fighting it?

 

My point is that it is simply wrong and only dictated by HATE to neg ANY type of NON-POLITICAL posts....Esp when one ( and it's not a little detail, come to think of it) is not obliged to read anything I post, can skip my articles and can put me on ignore ......

 

I repeat that this HATE-campaign ( that's what it is ....Likely based on my political stances, I'd imagine) against me is wrong and has zero reasons to be...

 

I revenge the right to post whatever ( and I repeat we're again talking about NON-POLITICAL articles) without having the feeling to be continuously assaulted / attacked  just for HATE

 

 

I do revenge that right and will always...It's just a matter of Justice

 

 

Edited by umbertino
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, nstoolman1 said:

Ours is not to reason Why,

Ours is to read or ignore.

I don't do FB and I do skip or ignore a lot of post because of title content. 

I believe life on this forum would be less agrivating if people would do the same. 

Don't read the posts of people that irritate you. 

 

 

5 minutes ago, umbertino said:

 

Thanks and I do respect you a lot as well...Mine is a simple Principle and Logic thing and concept and I know that about this issue I'm right...Since it's strictly logical.....

 

I already recognized and acknowledged the right of everybody ( even if I do no not share it) to have  political posts of mine negged  as if there's no tomorrow as Politics inflames Folks ( including me) so I do accept being negged ( even if I'd never do it to others, but we are all different) on political articles ...

 

But why negging non-political articles????...That's dead wrong and should be stigmatized by the PTB here and also from right-wing folks ( granted they are, as I know , many are) intellectually honest.....I t already happened In the past and I always have appreciated that....

 

Why should I accept the UNMOTIVATED HATE without fighting it?

 

My point is that it is simply wrong and only dictated by HATE to neg ANY type of NON-POLITICAL posts....Esp when one ( and it's not a little detail, come to think of it) is not obliged to read anything I post, can skip my articles and can put me on ignore ......

 

I repeat that this HATE-campaign ( that's what it is ....Likely based on my political stances, I'd imagine) against me is wrong and has zero reasons to be...

 

I revenge the right to post whatever ( and I repeat we're again talking about NON-POLITICAL articles) without having the feeling to be continuously assaulted / attacked  just for HATE

 

 

I do revenge that right and will always...It's just a matter of Justice

 

 

I think you both missed my point.  But it's okay.  Live and let live.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.