Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

1,000 job openings, some paying $100k or more - and no takers.

bigwave

1,000 job openings, some paying $100k or more - and no takers.

DAVIDSON, NC 

Davidson’s largest employer has a problem.

You probably know the products Ingersoll Rand manufactures, such as Trane air conditioners and Club Car golf carts, even if you didn’t know the parent company’s name. The Irish conglomerate with its North American headquarters in Davidson has grown to about 2,000 local employees since planting its roots in the quaint Lake Norman town in the mid 1970s.

The problem? The company has about 1,000 open jobs that it’s having trouble filling.

The main cause of that is the so-called skills gap, CEO Michael Lamach said in a recent interview at the company’s headquarters. The term refers to a shortage of workers with the necessary technical skills to handle machinery, perform service on the equipment and use advanced technology, among other functions.

Someone get a good one.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-world/national/article186586403.html

Not to difficult to understand. Society has been pushing tech and computer skills for so long that high schools have gotten away from 

"shop" classes. Everybody wanted engineering jobs. Last couple generations of fathers have failed their kids by not teaching them how

to change a toilet, fix a flat, use a dictionary (research skills) (Thanks Google and Alexa). When I was growing up you either went into

fast food, retail or service station work. I was taught there will always be a need for a plumber, mechanic or maintenance person.

I started out as a mechanic then went into school maintenance and switched to water treatment. I am not afraid to tackle anything within reason.

I hate paying someone to do something I can do.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6

32 minutes ago, nstoolman1 said:

I'm the same way.  My best friend tells everyone that I "will change the Universal joint in a jeep and go inside and knit a sweater".  (Which is what I did for her one day.)  I refuse to pay someone to do something that I can do myself.  AND at 63 I'm still doing!!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

16 hours ago, nstoolman1 said:

Not to difficult to understand. Society has been pushing tech and computer skills for so long that high schools have gotten away from 

"shop" classes. Everybody wanted engineering jobs. Last couple generations of fathers have failed their kids by not teaching them how

to change a toilet, fix a flat, use a dictionary (research skills) (Thanks Google and Alexa). When I was growing up you either went into

fast food, retail or service station work. I was taught there will always be a need for a plumber, mechanic or maintenance person.

I started out as a mechanic then went into school maintenance and switched to water treatment. I am not afraid to tackle anything within reason.

I couldn't agree with you more. At least I can sleep well know that my kids can do those things. My youngest, a daughter just learning to drive, :blink: First thing she had to do was show me should could change a tire and check the oil and other fluids on the car, just like her brothers had to do.

• Upvote 6

I remember when Ingersoll Rand closed up one of it's plants here some years ago and moved to the darling spot of North Carolina.....other than offering to move some engineers with the company, hundreds of skilled laborers were left without jobs.........Hard to feel bad for a company who's bottom line outweighs a loyal work force.  As always, just my opinion. 

GO RV, then BV 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Shabibilicious said:

I remember when Ingersoll Rand closed up one of it's plants here some years ago and moved to the darling spot of North Carolina.....other than offering to move some engineers with the company, hundreds of skilled laborers were left without jobs.........Hard to feel bad for a company who's bottom line outweighs a loyal work force.  As always, just my opinion. 

GO RV, then BV 

No argument there Shabs...it seems almost all big companies view their bottom line and not the people that make it work as the priority these days!  Sad! :(

Edited by RodandStaff
  • Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, RodandStaff said:

No argument there Shabs...it seems almost all big companies view their bottom line and not the people that make it work as the priority these days!  Sad! :(

Exactly....And it's always been that way (except maybe very rare exceptions) all over the world.....Very sad and squalid

• Upvote 2

On 11/27/2017 at 2:20 PM, nstoolman1 said:

So true,my friend.  It's another good reason for parents to get involved with the local school district.  I attended a public Jr. High/ High School in the LA area that required all 7th grade boys to take 1/4 of Home Mechanics, 1/4 of Wood shop, 1/4 of Metal shop and the worst being a 1/4 of Mechanical Drawing.  To this day my block printing is perfect, I know how to glaze a window, repair a screen door, fix a leaky faucet, make my own wrenches with a forge and turn a nail-set on a lathe.  Did I mention I can make my own shoe shine box as well...?  B)

Obviously, not all of those skills are required today but the fundamentals of problem solving and respect for the proper use of tools remain.

Yep, and I don't like paying someone to do what I can do either.  That's why I keep my kids and grand kids on speed dial to program my smart phone and wireless system. :tiphat:

GH

• Upvote 3

The day my 2 kids got their license, I coached them and had them change the oil on the truck they eventually shared. Then I had them jack the truck up and rotate all the tires. Oh and check the battery. Do these things and you will get 160,000 miles or more out of most vehicles, and save $$$ . Over the years I had them hold the light and help me with lugging things around. Now they know how to handle most plumbing issues, demo most home projects, re-build some other ones, paint in doors and out doors; whether they realize it or not. My oldest son has gone being the spark plug and oil man I taught him to be and wrenches on brakes and car wiring. Most of which he learned off the internet. Boosterglee, way to go with working with your hands. As an LVN, I have literally changed out a toilet, re-did a drain, and then cleaned up and drove to serve my patient. P.S. I also hate paying someone when I can do it, or figure out how to do it myself. I seem to do somewhat in a way close to professional work, like when I tiled my whole 900 sq ft downstairs.

Edited by new york kevin
  • Upvote 2