Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Which cup fills up first...

moose 57

Tricky, Tricky!

On cup #3, the conduit to cup #4 is blocked at cup #3.

The conduit from cup #3 to cup #5 is blocked at the end of the conduit at cup #5.

On cup #2, the conduit to cup #6 is blocked at cup #2.

Cup #7 has a hole in the bottom.

Provided the flow into cup #1 is at a rate less than or equal to the outflow to cup #3, cup #3 will fill up first.

If the water valve has no water supply, no cups will be filled while only cup #1 receives the drop of water noted in the diagram and does not fill or transfer water to cup #3.

If there is a water supply to the water valve in the diagram that fills cup #1 extremely fast, then it is anybody's guess what cup fills after cup #1 depending on the actual water overflow profile.

So, OK, my answer is what I highlighted since there is no noted water source to the water valve so it doesn't matter whether the water valve is opened any amount since there is no water supply.

Edited by Synopsis
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Synopsis said:

Tricky, Tricky!

The conduit from cup #3 to cup #5 is blocked at the end of the conduit at cup #5.

Provided the flow into cup #1 is at a rate less than or equal to the outflow to cup #3, cup #3 will fill up first.

If the water valve has no water supply, no cups will be filled while only cup #1 receives the drop of water noted in the diagram and does not fill or transfer water to cup #3.

If there is a water supply to the water valve in the diagram that fills cup #1 extremely fast, then it is anybody's guess what cup fills first depending on the actual water overflow profile.

So, OK, my answer is what I highlighted since there is no noted water source to the water valve so it doesn't matter whether the water valve is opened any amount since there is no water supply.

your analysis cracks me up!!!

• Upvote 1

Synopsis,

It does not matter as to the flow of the water from the tap. If the Tap only drips, the water will flow to cup #3 before any other cup other than cup #1. The pipe from cup #1 to #3 is lower than the pipe from #1 to #2. If you flood cup #1 with water, #1 will most likely fill up first, but the pipes to cups #3 and #2 will drain that cup fast, as the diameter of the pipes look to be the same as the mouth of the tap. Cup #2 will always drain out to cup #7 and then to the floor. So, the only one that would fill completely is cup #3.

Tricky, Tricky!

If there is a water supply to the water valve in the diagram that fills cup #1 extremely fast, then it is anybody's guess what cup fills after cup #1 depending on the actual water overflow profile.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Enigma2a said:

Synopsis,

It does not matter as to the flow of the water from the tap. If the Tap only drips, the water will flow to cup #3 before any other cup other than cup #1. The pipe from cup #1 to #3 is lower than the pipe from #1 to #2. If you flood cup #1 with water, #1 will most likely fill up first, but the pipes to cups #3 and #2 will drain that cup fast, as the diameter of the pipes look to be the same as the mouth of the tap. Cup #2 will always drain out to cup #7 and then to the floor. So, the only one that would fill completely is cup #3.

Thank You, Enigma2A!

I am an engineer and You may be, too.

I'll stick to my answer since there is no visible supply to the valve and the only fluid noted in the diagram is the single drop that appears to be of less volume than the level of cup #1 overflow to cup #3 so only cup #1 gets any fluid but does not fill or overflow. Also, the diagram does not note the valve is or will be opened to discharge fluid to cup #1 whether or not there is a fluid supply to the valve.

Due to the noted functions in the diagram, "No cup get filled firstly."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Synopsis said:

Thank You, Enigma2A!

I am an engineer and You may be, too.

I'll stick to my answer since there is no visible supply to the valve and the only fluid noted in the diagram is the single drop that appears to be of less volume than the level of cup #1 overflow to cup #3 so only cup #1 gets any fluid but does not fill or overflow. Also, the diagram does not note the valve is or will be opened to discharge fluid to cup #1 whether or not there is a fluid supply to the valve.

Due to the noted functions in the diagram, "No cup get filled firstly."

oooohhhh...only one drop? (i'm Norwegian)!

Edited by moose 57
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, moose 57 said:

oooohhhh...only one drop? (i'm Norwegian)!

Well, OK, Moose 57 - are You suggesting the noted "fluid" is Your "favorite beverage"???!!!

What, pray tell, might be that "favorite beverage" of Yours???!!!

Are You enjoying Your "favorite beverage" now???!!!

Are You enjoying (laughing at) all the silly engineering type comments being made (and rightly so) while You are enjoying Your "favorite beverage"???!!!

I suspect it is past 5:00 pm on a Friday in Norway so I suspect "favorite beverages" are being enjoyed most everywhere now by Norwegians???!!!

:o       :o       :o

• Upvote 2

As a farmer I beg to differ as to explanation.

Clearly cups 4, 6 cannot be filled as no valve or opening. Nor can cup 5 be filled as pipe is closed.

The next assumption is " full" meaning to the top right. So clearly cup 1 cannot as it drains to the lowest point first. Thus the off take towards 3 will siphon water ahead of any flows to 2

Hence cup 3 will fill first ahead of cup 7 as it isa bottomless cup. 

Cup 3 for me and the cows won't have to reach down too far to find water and hence will not break the float valve off.

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, FlyHi said:

As a farmer I beg to differ as to explanation.

Clearly cups 4, 6 cannot be filled as no valve or opening. Nor can cup 5 be filled as pipe is closed.

The next assumption is " full" meaning to the top right. So clearly cup 1 cannot as it drains to the lowest point first. Thus the off take towards 3 will siphon water ahead of any flows to 2

Hence cup 3 will fill first ahead of cup 7 as it isa bottomless cup. 

Cup 3 for me and the cows won't have to reach down too far to find water and hence will not break the float valve off.

True but!, why would they drink from #3 when #7 is ever flowing

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Synopsis said:

Well, OK, Moose 57 - are You suggesting the noted "fluid" is Your "favorite beverage"???!!!

What, pray tell, might be that "favorite beverage" of Yours???!!!

Are You enjoying Your "favorite beverage" now???!!!

Are You enjoying (laughing at) all the silly engineering type comments being made (and rightly so) while You are enjoying Your "favorite beverage"???!!!

I suspect it is past 5:00 pm on a Friday in Norway so I suspect "favorite beverages" are being enjoyed most everywhere now by Norwegians???!!!

:o       :o       :o

"favorite beverages" are being enjoyed most everywhere now by Norwegians???!!!

Especially in Minnesota! lots of snow 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, moose 57 said:

"favorite beverages" are being enjoyed most everywhere now by Norwegians???!!!

Especially in Minnesota! lots of snow 

Is (Are) Your snowmobile(s) out of storage and fired up, yet???!

Pillager is likely is likely worth the visit to swing through Magnum Research to see what is going on there.

Lake Itasca and the head waters of the Mississippi are worth the visit as long as the log across the beginning of the Mississippi is still there.

Pretty ingenious to use fishing trails during the summer as snowmobiling trails (groomed) during the winter.

Cold is OK as long as dressed for it and stop off at cafes along the way for coffee or hot chocolate!

4 minutes ago, Synopsis said:

Is (Are) Your snowmobile(s) out of storage and fired up, yet???!

Pillager is likely is likely worth the visit to swing through Magnum Research to see what is going on there.

Lake Itasca and the head waters of the Mississippi are worth the visit as long as the log across the beginning of the Mississippi is still there.

Pretty ingenious to use fishing trails during the summer as snowmobiling trails (groomed) during the winter.

Cold is OK as long as dressed for it and stop off at cafes along the way for coffee or hot chocolate!

only  Rookies and newbies wouldn't have had their sled out and greased ...better to do the maintenance  in the warn garage then out on the trail   

• Upvote 1