Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Donald Trump threatens to shut down NBC and other TV news networks that criticise him

Politics

Donald Trump threatens to shut down NBC and other TV news networks that criticise him

The Independent Clark Mindock,The Independent 4 hours ago
  •  
39f6a2c641946170ec6f28be9a9936cc

Donald Trump has threatened to shut down NBC and other American networks, saying that they peddle fake news.

"With all of the Fake News coming out of NBC and the Networks, at what point is it appropriate to challenge their License? Bad for country!" Mr Trump wrote in a tweet.

Mr Trump's tweet came in response to a story written by NBC, which said that Mr Trump had sought to increase America's nuclear arsenal tenfold after taking a look at a briefing slide that showed stead reduction of the US nuclear arsenal since the 1960s. The story cited three officials who were reportedly in the room when Mr Trump made the comments.

"Fake @NBCNews made up a story that I wanted a 'tenfold' increase in our US nuclear arsenal," Mr Trump had tweeted before his threat. "Pure fiction, mad eup to demean. NBC = CNN!"

The President has regularly targeted news networks critical of him since January, when he gave a press conference as President-elect and shouted down a CNN reporter as "fake news". The term - which Mr Trump says he invented but had been used frequently before to describe the proliferation of stories written by anonymous bloggers to spread lies during the 2016 election - has since become one of his go-to insults when the media publishes critical coverage of the Trump administration.

The report about Mr Trump's nuclear arsenal said that the joint chiefs of staff and Secretary of State Rex Tillerson all pushed back on the nuclear ambitions, and that Mr Tillerson later called the President a "moron" following the meeting. Mr Tillerson last week refused to confirm that he had called the President that, and Mr Trump has said that those reports are fake news. During an interview, the President also said that he would have to compare IQ scores with Mr Tillerson if his secretary had actually made the remarks

It isn't clear that Mr Trump would be able to easily revoke broadcast licenses for any of the major networks simply because he disagrees with the content they air, however.

Neither NBC or ABC released statement following the tweet, but others in government stepped in to comment on the issue. Democratic Senator Ed markey wrote to FCC chairman Ajit Pai Wednesday, urging him to resist requests from the President to revoke licenses because of coverage.

"It is inappropriate for the President to propose challenging broadcasters' licences because he disagrees with their coverage," that letter read. "The First Amendment is hte cornerstone of our democracy, and the news media plays an instrumental role in educating the American public and holding elected officials accountable. Any insinuation that elected officials could use the levers of government to control or sensor the news media would represent a startling degradation of the freedom of press."

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC), which oversees licensing, is an independent agency in the federal government, and isn't required to follow orders directly from the White House as would branches of the executive like the Department of Justice, for instance. While the commissioners of the FCC are appointed by the President and approved by the Senate, the agency's relative independence is there by design to push back on situations where someone in the executive branch would attempt to dampen the free speech protections provided to licensed broadcasters.

Mr Trump's comments came just one day after an American reporter was sentenced to prison in a Turkish court, where she was convicted of terrorist propaganda charges. That imprisonment was widely seen as highlighting the increased targeting of journalists in that country, which has been scrutinized for President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's government crackdown on media freedoms.

Responding to Mr Trump's musing about revoking licenses for broadcast networks critical of him, former US federal Prosecutor and frequent Trump critic Preet Bharara called the President childish.

"Adult daycare shift alert," Mr Bharara tweeted. "Please report for duty."

It wasn't immediately clear if Mr Trump intended to threaten cable news networks as well, which are regulated differently than their broadcast counterparts.

This guy gets more frightening everyday... This sounds like Fascism...

B/A

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I would rather make my own choice as to what news I watch, so years ago, i stopped watching all of them :lol:

We also dropped our cable TV 8 years ago, and that proved to be a good thing. No more being fed

BS and someone telling me how I should think, how I should feel, what I should support, etc.

In my opinion, let the people decide. Most will watch whatever supports their various opinions and

views/beliefs, which are often created for them by the very media they watch. It is a circle...

I have found ALL media can spin what they want to project and it is how they shape public opinion.

Propaganda is alive and well throughout media, and this has been ongoing for probably the last 50 - 60 years

with it getting very bad in the last 20 years or so. There was a time when journalists delivered what they

learned and did so without prejudice or bias. That is long gone in favor of the 24 hour "breaking news" cycle that is more

entertainment than reality.

Edited by Jim1cor13
  • Upvote 3

On 10/11/2017 at 7:12 PM, Jim1cor13 said:

I would rather make my own choice as to what news I watch, so years ago, i stopped watching all of them :lol:

We also dropped our cable TV 8 years ago, and that proved to be a good thing. No more being fed

BS and someone telling me how I should think, how I should feel, what I should support system" rel="">support, etc.

In my opinion, let the people decide. Most will watch whatever supports their various opinions and

views/beliefs, which are often created for them by the very media they watch. It is a circle...

I have found ALL media can spin what they want to project and it is how they shape public opinion.

Propaganda is alive and well throughout media, and this has been ongoing for probably the last 50 - 60 years

with it getting very bad in the last 20 years or so. There was a time when journalists delivered what they

learned and did so without prejudice or bias. That is long gone in favor of the 24 hour "breaking news" cycle that is more

entertainment than reality.

Amen to these comments...!!

• Upvote 1

He's NOT attacking the First Amendment - he's attacking the continuing MSM lies that are being used to tell the sheeple what to think!!!

IF the MSM would just report the TRUTH - there'd be no problem - but the Democrat-controlled media knows that the lies are the ONLY thing keeping the Dems relevent to the American sheeple!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, BJinMontreal said:

He's NOT attacking the First Amendment - he's attacking the continuing MSM lies that are being used to tell the sheeple what to think!!!

IF the MSM would just report the TRUTH - there'd be no problem - but the Democrat-controlled media knows that the lies are the ONLY thing keeping the Dems relevent to the American sheeple!!

Staunch conservative, Rush Limbaugh, dropped the desensitized Trump enabler glasses and sees it somewhat differently. 

http://www.wcnc.com/ext/news/nation-now/rush-limbaugh-says-trumps-nfl-stance-is-starting-to-make-me-nervous/275/nationnow/44XKvfcNFeCQsoWoE8EOEW

GO RV, then BV 

• Upvote 1

Really?

Do you even know what you linked to?

Trump's NFL stance ... 

Few people have stronger conservative bona fides than Rush Limbaugh, but even the paragon of right-wing radio is starting to have doubts about the way President Trump is tackling NFL players' national anthem protests. 

Limbaugh, of course, thinks the players are disrespecting the anthem, the flag, the cops and the military. But he expressed fears Wednesday that Trump is leading America toward a slippery slope by using the power of the presidency to demand the NFL force players to stand for the anthem. 

"Trump is in the right, don’t misunderstand," Limbaugh said on his show. "But no president should have dictatorial power over individual behavior. A president should not be able to tell the owners of a business how their employees are gonna act and what they’re gonna swear allegiance to and all that. That’s up to the owners to do, and it’s up to the owners to come up with a system of punishment if their employees violate company policy, like it is in any other business."

Limbaugh stressed that he thinks Trump's "motives are pure" but he said he doesn't "think that it is useful or helpful for any employee anywhere to be forced to do something because the government says they must. That scares hell out of me." 

"We don’t want the president being able to demand anybody that he’s unhappy with behave in a way he requires," he added. "That’s scary to me, even if the president’s somebody I happen to like."

Limbaugh believes Trump's intervention worked, however. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell sent a letter to all 32 teams Tuesday that said players "should stand" during the national anthem, and that the NFL would present a plan next week aimed at moving "past the controversy." 

Limbaugh hailed the news, saying "I don't care how you slice it, it constitutes a Trump win." 

"I’m not so sure that if Trump had not applied pressure, that they would have changed," Limbaugh said. 

• Upvote 1

Oh, I read it alright......Constitutionally protected 1st Amendment Rights are up the the individual.  Trump needs to mind his business, that being running a government....a government that has no say in an individual's right to free speech.  Ever heard of a backhanded compliment?.....Rush just pulled one off.  

GO RV, then BV

• Upvote 2

On 10/12/2017 at 8:30 AM, BJinMontreal said:

On 10/12/2017 at 8:56 AM, BJinMontreal said:

Really?

Do you even know what you linked to?

Trump's NFL stance ... 

On 10/14/2017 at 8:41 AM, Gypsygirl11 said:

I think these people or stations should be fined heavily for slander! 

You guys are correct.

What all the screaming libs on this post have missed is the 1st Amendment was set up to protect TRUTH, not lies. 

When they print lies, it is called "Libel".

Newspapers have been sued for  for libel multiple times,  they have lost every single time they did not print truth, and they have won every single time they stuck to the actual facts.

In the very first case in America, it was  established, and subsequently upheld  in every single case since then, that truth is an absolute defense in libel cases.

When a newspaper fails to perform due diligence before releasing manufactured lies or propaganda, they are indeed willfully neglecting to discharge their responsibility to not only their agreed contract with the US government FCC, but in their obligation to the American People.

These screaming idiots have lost  their ability to think, they have abandoned logic in their abject rage over America's rejection of their twisted morality.

What is really sad, is their almost incomprehensible stupidity by refusing to realize that when they scream in hysterical defiance of common respect, or refuse to accept ethics of any kind for no other reason than words spoken by Trump, these ignorant liberals only further solidify their standing as feckless dolts undeserving of any respect whatsoever.

How many times have they screamed foul, only to be proven wrong?

I've lost count, as they haven't stopped screaming since November 2016.

It's become a pathetic display of immaturity run amok. don't you think?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Has Donald not lied? Or does he just make mistakes?

President Donald Trump falsely claimed on Monday that former President Barack Obama didn't call the families of fallen service members.

"If you look at President Obama and other presidents, most of them didn't make calls — a lot of them didn't make calls — I like to make calls when it's appropriate," Trump said at a news conference in the Rose Garden when asked about why he had not addressed the recent deaths of American troops in Niger.

He said: “I really speak for myself. I don’t speak for other people. I don’t know what Bush did. I don’t know what Obama did. … But I believe his policy is somewhat different than my policy.” So here we see he is making stuff up or creating, dare I say, fake news?

"President Obama, I think probably did sometimes, and maybe sometimes he didn't. I don't know. That's what I was told."

Some truth and anonymous source.

"The president wasn't criticizing predecessors, but stating a fact. When American heroes make the ultimate sacrifice, Presidents pay their respects," Sanders said.

"Sometimes they call, sometimes they send a letter, other times they have the opportunity to meet family members in person. This president, like his predecessors, has done each of these. Individuals claiming former Presidents, such as their bosses, called each family of the fallen, are mistaken." White House admits his mistake..

Why would he even go there? Don't we have enough problems without him making crap up about our veterans? This guy just doesn't get it.

B/A

• Downvote 1

It seems the lame Stream Media wants to have it both ways when it suits them and the liberal Agenda......hence obama got a free pass and all positive coverage even when his actions were clearly Illegal, Un Constitutional or against the wishes of the American People. Them no one cared or wanted to stand up to them.

Fast Forward to a New Administration...Trump won where the lame Stream Media had Hillarious as a shoe in and Trump had no chance. To hedge the bet they started with the Fake News, The Fake Russian Dosier, The women came out of the wood work and ran back really quick when it was proved they were lying. The Fake Russian Collusion that no one can find a drop of evidence of....The Lame Stream Media has pretty much wrote themselves off as quacks and hack jobs, they have proven time and time again they Lie, twist, spin and make up stories to suit the Liberal Agenda.....When Caught in these lies they dig the hole deeper Lying to cover up the last bunch of lies.

This Eric Clapton Song just about sums things up for the Lame Stream Media.

Karsten

• Upvote 1

On 10/12/2017 at 8:30 AM, BJinMontreal said:

Yes Sir BJ i agree with you. He never even mentioned shutting MSN or CNN down. He said that their licenses should be challenged. Possibly causing their license from that of  News Agency to a TV Tabloid. They could still pump out their dribble.  As a TV Tabloid they just would not be able to get the advertizing revenues they enjoyed when they us to be a News Agency. Its just BA and Umbertino being BJ and Umbertino.

Edited by new york kevin
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, new york kevin said:

Yes Sir BJ i agree with you. He never even mentioned shutting MSN or CNN down. He said that their licenses should be challenged. Possibly causing their license from that of  News Agency to a TV Tabloid. They could still pump out their dribble.  As a TV Tabloid they just would not be able to get the advertizing revenues they enjoyed when they us to be a News Agency. Its just BA and Umbertino being BJ and Umbertino.

You mean lower MSN or CNN to the level of say......the Apprentice or Access Hollywood?  ;)

GO RV, then BV

Edited by Shabibilicious

7 hours ago, Shabibilicious said:

You mean lower MSN or CNN to the level of say......the Apprentice or Access Hollywood?  ;)

GO RV, then BV

Exactly !!! Well maybe the Schwarzenegger version of the Apprentice.  :D

• Upvote 2