Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Hurricane IRMA will hit NC/SC HARD! #Catastrophic #Hurricane

yota691

Not to open a can of worms or anything..."But"...if you live on the coast...and there is always the possibility of a storm coming...yes, how intense that storm may be varies I understand that!  ...but we who have lived in the upper Midwest prepare for blizzards and cold like nobodies business!  I've lived thru -60 below twice, and have seen 36" of snow at one time, and some whopper tornado's to boot (Wisconsin had a  F3-F4 stay on the ground for 84 miles this past year).  Yup, I know hurricanes are different, but unlike Tornado's you have more time to prepare!  Take the Boy Scout motto..."Be Prepared"!  If you aren't prepared to ride it out then get out...if it's too dangerous to ride out then get out...how hard is that? :confused2: And don't be indecisive like most Americans who procrastinate like all the other sheeple's til the very last minute when it's too late... think for your self please.  You have a responsibility to protect your family...don't expect the gubberment to do it all for you! :facepalm3: Have a bug out bag ready if you live on the coast and use it if you have to.  There is always someone away from the shore who will take you in if you can't afford a hotel.  Being macho and sayin'..."Grandpa never left so I'll be damned if I'm gonna leave" could just be the craziest most dangerous thing you'll ever do.  First off we build houses too cheap these days...the big bad wolf could easily blow em down let alone a powerful hurricane! :blink:

Along those lines, and for long range planing I think it's time we rethink construction techniques on the coastal real estate.   I have a friend from Porto Rico who says they build all the houses out of concrete with heavy support columns every 10' to withstand practically anything.  So storm after storm they keep standing.  Now flooding is a bit different but maybe that has to be taken into account too.  Why do we not prepare for what ends up being a regular occurrence is beyond me???  Maybe if not concrete houses then Dome shaped housing.  I know in Katrina the only building standing within 1-1/2 miles of shore in Biloxi, MS. was a dome shaped church...and all it lost was a few shingles!  That was a Cat. 4 and it only lost of few shingles while everything else around it was blown away...gone!!!  Sorry...just sayin' we might need to plan ahead and rethink living on the coast the right way if that's where you choose to live.  Don't act surprised when storms come...expect them and you won't be caught off guard!  

Edited by RodandStaff
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 4

Hurricane Irma: blackouts and flooding on St Martin as winds destroy sturdiest buildings - live

Most powerful hurricane ever recorded over Atlantic Ocean batters Caribbean islands as it moves west with category 5 winds and rains

Jamiles Lartey (now) Matthew Weaver and Claire Phipps (earlier)

Wednesday 6 September 2017 14.41 BST

Vid in link

Live feed

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2017/sep/06/hurricane-irma-caribbean-islands-category-5-storm

1 hour ago, RodandStaff said:

Not to open a can of worms or anything..."But"...if you live on the coast...and there is always the possibility of a storm coming...yes, how intense that storm may be varies I understand that!  ...but we who have lived in the upper Midwest prepare for blizzards and cold like nobodies business!  I've lived thru -60 below twice, and have seen 36" of snow at one time, and some whopper tornado's to boot (Wisconsin had a  F3-F4 stay on the ground for 84 miles this past year).  Yup, I know hurricanes are different, but unlike Tornado's you have more time to prepare!  Take the Boy Scout motto..."Be Prepared"!  If you aren't prepared to ride it out then get out...if it's too dangerous to ride out then get out...how hard is that? :confused2: And don't be indecisive like most Americans who procrastinate like all the other sheeple's til the very last minute when it's too late... think for your self please.  You have a responsibility to protect your family...don't expect the gubberment to do it all for you! :facepalm3: Have a bug out bag ready if you live on the coast and use it if you have to.  There is always someone away from the shore who will take you in if you can't afford a hotel.  Being macho and sayin'..."Grandpa never left so I'll be damned if I'm gonna leave" could just be the craziest most dangerous thing you'll ever do.  First off we build houses too cheap these days...the big bad wolf could easily blow em down let alone a powerful hurricane! :blink:

Along those lines, and for long range planing I think it's time we rethink construction techniques on the coastal real estate.   I have a friend from Porto Rico who says they build all the houses out of concrete with heavy support system" rel="">support columns every 10' to withstand practically anything.  So storm after storm they keep standing.  Now flooding is a bit different but maybe that has to be taken into account too.  Why do we not prepare for what ends up being a regular occurrence is beyond me???  Maybe if not concrete houses then Dome shaped housing.  I know in Katrina the only building standing within 1-1/2 miles of shore in Biloxi, MS. was a dome shaped church...and all it lost was a few shingles!  That was a Cat. 4 and it only lost of few shingles while everything else around it was blown away...gone!!!  Sorry...just sayin' we might need to plan ahead and rethink living on the coast the right way if that's where you choose to live.  Don't act surprised when storms come...expect them and you won't be caught off guard!  

Thanks Rod!  :twothumbs:  Here at the Jersey shore, we've always had strict building codes, especially on new and renovated houses... but after Superstorm Sandy, the codes were upgraded even further, as well as newly assessed flood zoning/building height standards assigned per municipality.  Still a lot of rebuilding going on here... but overall, an impressive recovery due to forward thinking!

• Upvote 2

I'm tired of paying higher insurance rates for idiots who insist on living along the coast.. If they choose to live there, they should be able to afford to rebuild... In the old days we didn't know as much about flood zones as we do now with today's technology and historic data... There needs to be no building allowed, or if you build in these areas, then it's up to you to rebuild, not the rest of us... It's like health insurance, right my conservative friends? Why should we share the burden of sick people or those who choose unhealthy lifestyles?

B/A 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

19 minutes ago, bostonangler said:

I'm tired of paying higher insurance rates for idiots who insist on living along the coast.. If they choose to live there, they should be able to afford to rebuild... In the old days we didn't know as much about flood zones as we do now with today's technology and historic data... There needs to be no building allowed, or if you build in these areas, then it's up to you to rebuild, not the rest of us... It's like health insurance, right my conservative friends? Why should we share the burden of sick people or those who choose unhealthy lifestyles?

B/A 

Idiots?  Like the ones that live in Tornado Alley?  And, do you consider that flooding occurs far inland as well?  By your perspective, people would only be able to live in certain areas... that YOU, or some other intrusive entity designates?  That's very harsh, B/A.  Plus, please realize that those that do live and build on the coasts already DO pay more for their insurance.  I may agree with you about the extent of Federal assistance.  So, yes... personal choice!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, bostonangler said:

B/A 

BA I guess you got all figured out. All I'm going to say is that you are an insensitive SOB ! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, Jaxinjersey said:

Idiots?  Like the ones that live in Tornado Alley?  And, do you consider that flooding occurs far inland as well?  By your perspective, people would only be able to live in certain areas... that YOU, or some other intrusive entity designates?  That's very harsh, B/A.  Plus, please realize that those that do live and build on the coasts already DO pay more for their insurance.  I may agree with you about the extent of Federal assistance.  So, yes... personal choice!

13 minutes ago, Texstorm said:

BA I guess you got all figured out. All I'm going to say is that you are an insensitive SOB ! 

See how it sounds when you are irrational? Like you guys who hate national healthcare for those who are poor... You say those who smoke or are overweight made bad choices so it's not up to us to pay their insurance... So now I'm bad for using your logic?

How about all the kids who were brought by their illegal parents? This is the only home they have ever known and you all want to boot them... Is it their fault they were brought here as babies? Most of you don't care you just want to boot them out. Do you realize 91% of them who are of working age work, pay taxes and contribute to social security? That's better than most born here Americans...

That's life in the world of hypocrites... 

B/A

BTW The only reason I posted this was to point out how insensitive you all sound when you don't like something... I actually have family in Florida and they are evacuating as we speak... I just wanted to see who would react and just like clockwork those who claim all of us should be responsible for ourselves now dog me because I say what they say everyday...

thanks for proving the points I make here everyday... You guys are a bunch of phonies.

• Downvote 5

10 minutes ago, bostonangler said:

See how it sounds when you are irrational? Like you guys who hate national healthcare for those who are poor... You say those who smoke or are overweight made bad choices so it's not up to us to pay their insurance... So now I'm bad for using your logic?

How about all the kids who were brought by their illegal parents? This is the only home they have ever known and you all want to boot them... Is it their fault they were brought here as babies? Most of you don't care you just want to boot them out. Do you realize 91% of them who are of working age work, pay taxes and contribute to social security? That's better than most born here Americans...

That's life in the world of hypocrites... 

B/A

BTW The only reason I posted this was to point out how insensitive you all sound when you don't like something... I actually have family in Florida and they are evacuating as we speak... I just wanted to see who would react and just like clockwork those who claim all of us should be responsible for ourselves now dog me because I say what they say everyday...

thanks for proving the points I make here everyday... You guys are a bunch of phonies.

Once AGAIN!  Why don't you address my post specifically, rather than attempt to make a false equivalence?!!!  Property insurance, homeowner's Insurance, Auto Insurance.... have NOTHING to do with, or have anything in common with Health Insurance.  Different criteria, obligations, reasoning, applications, etc.  Rational people understand this, and don't attempt to apply a false equivalence.  ONLY Liberals apply such flawed "logic".  So... back to the Original Premise of the STAND ALONE ISSUE.... Property Insurance!  It can and should be discussed as its own issue... as was my response.  MOST issues are stand alone... let's stop with the spin and "pork"!  Perhaps you might find more reasoned clarity if you stopped always convoluting issues with ridiculous comparisons.  Just my suggestion to (re)establish a true common ground premise... as always.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jaxinjersey said:

Once AGAIN!  Why don't you address my post specifically, rather than attempt to make a false equivalence?!!!  Property insurance, homeowner's Insurance, Auto Insurance.... have NOTHING to do with, or have anything in common with Health Insurance.  Different criteria, obligations, reasoning, applications, etc.  Rational people understand this, and don't attempt to apply a false equivalence.  ONLY Liberals apply such flawed "logic".  So... back to the Original Premise of the STAND ALONE ISSUE.... Property Insurance!  It can and should be discussed as its own issue... as was my response.  MOST issues are stand alone... let's stop with the spin and "pork"!  Perhaps you might find more reasoned clarity if you stopped always convoluting issues with ridiculous comparisons.  Just my suggestion to (re)establish a true common ground premise... as always.

Insurance as defined by Webster...  I don't see different criteria... I think you don't like it when your logic is proven wrong... You are the one who says people should be responsible for their own being... I was agreeing with you and you still get upset... WTF???

Should you have to pay a higher premium because people insist on living on the Outer Banks in North Carolina? I would have thought your answer would be no... Will wonders never cease?

in·sur·ance
inˈSHo͝orəns/  
noun
noun: insurance; plural noun: insurances
  1. 1.
    a practice or arrangement by which a company or government agency provides a guarantee of compensation for specified loss, damage, illness, or death in return for payment of a premium.
    "many new borrowers take out insurance against unemployment or sickness"
      indemnity, indemnification, assurance, (financial) protection, security, coverage
    "insurance for his new car"

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Just now, bostonangler said:

Insurance as defined by Webster...  I don't see different criteria... I think you don't like it when your logic is proven wrong... You are the one who says people should be responsible for their own being... I was agreeing with you and you still get upset... WTF???

Should you have to pay a higher premium because people insist on living on the Outer Banks in North Carolina? I would have thought your answer would be no... Will wonders never cease?

in·sur·ance
inˈSHo͝orəns/  
noun
noun: insurance; plural noun: insurances
  1. 1.
    a practice or arrangement by which a company or government agency provides a guarantee of compensation for specified loss, damage, illness, or death in return for payment of a premium.
    "many new borrowers take out insurance against unemployment or sickness"
      indemnity, indemnification, assurance, (financial) protection, security, coverage
    "insurance for his new car"

Not upset at all!  LOL  Hmmmm.... agreeing with me?  I don't see it... must be some disconnect there.   I'm simply pointing out that issues should be addressed independently.  And YES!!!  I believe people living in areas like the Outer Banks, etc. should pay higher premiums!!!  And YES, people should be responsible for themselves... that's why they PAY insurance premiums!!!  How would you think I would think the opposite?!!!  We really need to have a philosophical discussion here... you're all over the place!!!  LOL

Oh boy...  B/A, do you realize you just posted a definition of generic insurance?!!!  Of course there are no qualifiers!!!!   You have to add an ADJECTIVE... like Home, Auto, Property, Health....  then CRITERIA kicks in, and we deal with them independently!!!  Sheesh, c'mon!!!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, RodandStaff said:

Along those lines, and for long range planing I think it's time we rethink construction techniques on the coastal real estate.   I have a friend from Porto Rico who says they build all the houses out of concrete with heavy support system" rel="">support columns every 10' to withstand practically anything.  So storm after storm they keep standing.  Now flooding is a bit different but maybe that has to be taken into account too.  Why do we not prepare for what ends up being a regular occurrence is beyond me???  Maybe if not concrete houses then Dome shaped housing.  I know in Katrina the only building standing within 1-1/2 miles of shore in Biloxi, MS. was a dome shaped church...and all it lost was a few shingles!  That was a Cat. 4 and it only lost of few shingles while everything else around it was blown away...gone!!!  Sorry...just sayin' we might need to plan ahead and rethink living on the coast the right way if that's where you choose to live.  Don't act surprised when storms come...expect them and you won't be caught off guard!  

Excellent point Rodandstaff.  Unfortunately we can not predict what an actual storm will do. Its best to be safe than sorry.  More than half the home owners in Texas lived in non-flooding zones, they weren't required to have it.  People on the coast mostly had it.  Harvey showed no prejudice toward anyone,  the rich, the poor, the blacks, browns, white and Asians and many more all suffered with Harvey.  Harvey was an historical disaster, this storm lingered for days, never in my life have I witness a storm as such, and now we have Irma knocking on our door.  The best advise that I can give is, get out, go inland and ride it out there. You can rebuild, replace material things, but you can't replace a life.  

B/A you logic makes no sense when you try to compare.   Those that flooded deserve all the help they can get. 

Unless you've experience an event as such, your personal property, memories, lives, all destroyed, really we have no room for your distorted logic. 

Stay on topic if you please.    

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

My family and I are running away from the coast and going to Tennessee on Saturday. We're taking people, pets, irreplaceable stuff (like photo albums, heirlooms, etc.), important papers, firearms (mostly to make sure they don't get into the wrong hands but we'll have plenty of ammunition, too!), and stuff like that.

Thanks for the offers but I don't think I'll need any one to hold my funky orange "documents" (wallpaper) or the funky blue notes either. I appreciate y'all looking out for me.

Not too much else that can't be replaced.

Prayers, please.

I'll have the laptop so I should be able to check in from time to time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

The You Tube above is great but it is a Free App and you can keep tabs on every weather pattern where ever....pretty interesting....Florida is gonna get spanked hard and up to SC/NC...My GF is from OBX, NC and on the phone with a friend that still lives there.

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=31.0;-76.9;4&l=wave&t=20170907/06

Karsten

• Upvote 2

Thanks Yota for the update!  Looks like the original track on your first post was accurate!!!  Wow!

My family down in Hilton Head, SC is evacuating.  That little nook between Savannah and Charleston is usually spared from hurricanes... unfortunately not this time!  

Be safe everyone!

• Upvote 5