Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Let's talk about Harvey...

Adam,

Thanks to DV for the thoughtful gifts to the Salvation Army for Hurricane Harvey. I have spent the last several days with some great friends, tearing my house apart and putting in several big piles of trash in the yard, sheetrock, insulation, furniture, etc.

The great thing is the way the community and specifically our area, came to the rescue. From the sheriff deputies and volunteers who came and picked us up in a boat midnight Sunday to the kindness of people whose home we stayed for several days and treated us like family to people constantly bringing meals to our home as we worked.

It will be a long and tiring effort to restore the home, but God has been good to us and we will come back even better.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Hello DV ! It's been almost 16 years since Tropical storm Allison. I lost everything with no insurance, house, home, boat etc. Everything was paid for. I went through a separation and got full custody  of my daughter $80k and 2 1/2 years later. I never took a dime from the Federal government. I guess my point is that I've never recovered from that devistation. I know what these good people are going to have to go through. My brother lost most everything he did have insurance but their is no way in hell it's even going to come close to what he had. We have spent the last 3 days gutting his house and throwing away all of his belongings. It's a tough situation for millions of people now from C.C. to Beaumont. What ever anyone can do in any way would be greatly appreciated, there are many, many ways and all will count. It's time to pull together as Texans, and it's time to pull together as a nation, for we are our brothers keepers. God Bless !

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Bumper64 said:

Awesome @Adam Montana your a good man!!

:twothumbs::twothumbs:  We agree bumper64 ! You got it Adam.

7 hours ago, melaustin58 said:

American Red Cross local shelter here in Austin  got $160 of groceries from me the weekend of the storm and $ to the organization via a simple text app donation tool.  

I also appreciate the work that Michael Dell and his wife have pledged to do. If you donate NOW through the end of the holiday weekend , they will match your donation 2 to 1 $.  I donated $25 that was turned into $75 instantly.

Lastly , I feel for the poor pets displaced from coastal shelters.  Austin Pets Alive took in 2500 or more and is at capacity.  They are accepting donations online.  And we have decided to adopt a playmate for our 1 yo puppy Junior.  We are adopting from foster care, and then the foster parents will take another to house train, etc. We looked at one cute boy yesterday, and another tonight before we decide.

Just a snapshot of one experience.  There are many many ways to help.  Do some research online and try to do your part. We can all spare a bit for our neighbors in need.  

Thanks Melinaustin going there now.

Dear Adam,

In Australia, the 'Salvation Army' holds 'Red Shield (Rothschild) Appeals'... + hang out in nursing homes, hospitals, respite centres preying on the infirm with aim to have them 'donate' their wills and property to the Salvation Army and so rob the family of their inheritance - unless snookered by a Power of Attorney from their family.

As a resident Houstonian with friends in Port Arthur all help is appreciated. 

I thank God that my  family was spared but it just gives us more opportunities to help others.

Since I've lived in Houston I can't remember all the weather challenges we've encountered but strength and resiliency always wins.

• Upvote 2

As always the perfect storm.......for......DV........

just like Dominica........(a very interesting option for a second citizenship) .....

I have had an involvement with the Graham family for 30+ years....(Colorado Springs Home)..........Samaritans Purse........google it if you will......

Many of my friends and family are on board with SP as well.......

The AM choice is sound............just give what you can afford........

This is why America is the greatest nation on Earth.............

https://spvolunteernetwork.samaritanspurse.org/hurricane-harvey-reponse/

• Upvote 2

There are many great charitable organization out there, research and positive word of mouth will help you out.

I had a family member who lost everything, our family alone gathered supplies of assorted item, from cleanser, gloves, mask, bleach, hammers, drills and food, whatever we could think of, gave visa/master gift cards to use for personal needs.   Still lots to do and help is dwindling because everyone is returning back to work, but they return on the weekend with their big smiles and strong arms.  You can't help to not she'd a tear or shake a hand or both.  Thanks all.... Texas is mighty grateful!

• Upvote 6

patrickgold - you are right on with the one-on-one help that comes from friends, family, and even complete strangers. That's where the strength of the community comes in.   The charities, even the best of them, are still an arm's length away from the people themselves that are out there struggling.   Personal help like you are mentioning is what is needed, and will be needed for a long time to come.    Blessings to you and your family!   And to all the others out there that have helped out & sacrificed for those in need.   Texas is very grateful!   

• Upvote 3