Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Why did America's biggest megachurch take so long to shelter Harvey victims?

umbertino

Spokesman dismisses ‘haters’ who he says dislike Joel Osteen, the pastor facing widespread criticism after his Lakewood church was slow to react to the storm

Tom Dart in Houston

Wednesday 30 August 2017 23.21 BST

Vid  & pics in link

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/30/lakewood-church-joel-osteen-hurricane-harvey

• Upvote 1

His spokesman is missing the point as usual. Project the blame upon those

who dare question his leader, and call them names. :lol:

Joel is doing what many charlatans like him do...they protect their empire and

their revenue streams first, but they forget who provides that revenue in the process,

it is the people who follow him. The reaction of his "spokesman" speaks volumes as to

how they feel about those on the outside of their empire. People should take note...

• Like 2
  • Downvote 2

Or it could be as the church claims - they had flooding too. Apparently they have pictures but it was kind of hard for me to see them over the radio.

But let's just blame the church and the pastor - they're easy targets.

Done with this thread.

• Upvote 3

JJ Watt, a Houston Texan football player has collected over 10 million dollars for Harvey victims from fellow professional athletes!!!

Beyonce, is a Houston Native.  Maybe she could get some of her entertainment friends to hold a relief rally TV show to help the victims. 

I live in Houston and have been helping people since last Sat.  What we are experiencing is unbelievable!!!!

Personally, I don't care who gets shamed or where the help comes from.

Houston needs help in all forms,,,,,, we need food, water, shelter, money, 

and anyone who wants to help!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Jim1cor13 said:

His spokesman is missing the point as usual. Project the blame upon those

who dare question his leader, and call them names. :lol:

Joel is doing what many charlatans like him do...they protect their empire and

their revenue streams first, but they forget who provides that revenue in the process,

it is the people who follow him. The reaction of his "spokesman" speaks volumes as to

how they feel about those on the outside of their empire. People should take note...

You know I had heard of this mega church but had never really seen anything on it... When I saw the pastor interviewed I had a chill run down my spine. He looks (and that's all I'm saying) he looks demonic. I don't know anything about him, his personal or professional life, but he looked scary. I don't know how else to say it. Personally I sent my donation to a reputable charity, not a mega church with that kind of overhead. It reminds me or Tammy Faye and Jimmy or Oral Roberts.... They simply live too large not to be paying taxes... JMHO

B/A

• Upvote 1

Wall Mart donated 10 million

Sandra Bullock. 1 mil

JJ Watt and friends over 12 mil

Kardashians  500k

Leonardo DiCaprio. 1mil

Kevin Hart and his friends, millions

President Trump 1 mil

Waiting for Beyoncé, Opra, other Hollywood and Business Elites, Pres Clinton, Bush Sr and Jr,  and Obama to step up and donate!!!

American Red Cross Relief Fund,  713-778-8920.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

28 minutes ago, Pitcher said:

Wall Mart donated 10 million

Sandra Bullock. 1 mil

JJ Watt and friends over 12 mil

Kardashians  500k

Leonardo DiCaprio. 1mil

Kevin Hart and his friends, millions

President Trump 1 mil

Waiting for Beyoncé, Opra, other Hollywood and Business Elites, Pres Clinton, Bush Sr and Jr,  and Obama to step up and donate!!!

American Red Cross Relief Fund,  713-778-8920.  

Thanks for the info Pitcher. It is a tragedy and it is times like this that nothing else matters

other than folks getting the help they need. Humanity reaching out to each other, without all the

noise. Good to hear of the assistance coming in.

I am grateful there were so few fatalities, and also wonderful to see so many on the ground

helping to get people to safety. This is going to be a very long restoration process. Everyone can

do their part. Not just throwing money at the problem, but those close by are pitching in and making

an effort. Wonderful to see.

Thanks again :)

• Upvote 2

One thing that has been refreshing is that humanity came first.  I saw it first hand. No one gives a rats ass about politics, race, or religion when our city gets clobbered with 50 inches of rain.   What I witnessed over the last 4-5 days are people helping people in need. The love, compassion, unselfish giving and caring has been incredible. I witnessed a guy who drove 18 hours from Kentucky with his boat to help rescue people stranded on their rooftops. He told me he couldn't just sit around and watch it on tv, he wanted to help save lives!!!!

38 people so far have died but I suspect that number will be much higher.   I've lived in Houston for over 50 years and have seen some bad hurricanes and floods. None of them compare to this storm. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

11 hours ago, Pitcher said:

One thing that has been refreshing is that humanity came first.  I saw it first hand. No one gives a rats ass about politics, race, or religion when our city gets clobbered with 50 inches of rain.   What I witnessed over the last 4-5 days are people helping people in need. The love, compassion, unselfish giving and caring has been incredible. I witnessed a guy who drove 18 hours from Kentucky with his boat to help rescue people stranded on their rooftops. He told me he couldn't just sit around and watch it on tv, he wanted to help save lives!!!!

38 people so far have died but I suspect that number will be much higher.   I've lived in Houston for over 50 years and have seen some bad hurricanes and floods. None of them compare to this storm. 

I back you on your statement.  Unless your living in the zone, you have no clue has to what is happening here.  The devastation is as far as your eyes can see.  A 360 turn is where it's at.  We have flooding in all corners, niches, and crevices of this city and surrounding areas.  You see only a portion of the devastation from the media.  This is a historical event, we've broken records all around.  Thousands and thousands of homes destroyed, vehicles floating everywhere, missing love ones, love ones that have lost everything (my brother), the recovery is still happening with the help of the national guard, coast guard, local and state officers,  but the compassion of the volunteers are remarkable, the strength of the citizens is unbelievable.  The financial, and material response toward Houston gives us a secure feeling, knowing that we will be okay, we will rebuild, we will recover....SOooo right now we don't care about the negative, we care as you said, about HUMANITY.  The Lord said love thy neighbors and let me tell you, the stories, and what I've seen, the love of the Lord shines on Texas. 

Words are not enough to say to all those who have come to our rescue, I hope you know and feel that we are so grateful for you all. 

• Upvote 4