Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Adam Montana Weekly 30 August 2017

Adam Montana

3 hours ago, renomac said:

Does fact that Oil is now $46.57 per barrel and Gold is $1313 per oz have any bearing on anything ? ? ?

God Bless

Go RV 

Yep, It has a great bearing on those that have oil and gold as part of their portfolio. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Adam Montana said:

ISIS has been “not much” for quite some time, but it looks like this is really the final days of it’s influence on anything in Iraq. ISIS is perhaps days away from being nothing more than history, which is good on many levels - not just for a Dinar RV, but in many other ways as well.

:wave:

6 minutes ago, DinarThug said:

Iraq will be free from ISIS terrorists ‘within days’ – Iraqi ambassador to RT

Published time: 30 Aug, 2017 23:05

https://www.rt.com/news/401503-isis-children-iraq-ambassador/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=RSS

:D  :D  :D 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, okane said:

Thug! Thug! Thug! Thug!,  You da clown :D

I noticed that Turd11 was speaking from the Okie / Luigi view point also.  

Thanks Adam

So that is how you spell prognostications ?  

Actually, I was speaking to Whoever the another site is. He seems to have his act together. He has been there, much unlike 90% of us. Get your facts right before you attack someone. Just looking for the facts like everyone else

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, murd11 said:

Actually, I was speaking to Whoever the another site is. He seems to have his act together. He has been there, much unlike 90% of us. Get your facts right before you attack someone. Just looking for the facts like everyone else

I guess the moderators won"t allow his name on this site, but it certainly isn"t Okie nor Luigi

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Adam Montana

• Administrator
  • Adam Montana
  • Administrators
  • team_admin.png

I can’t say that I have much sympathy for anyone that refused to evacuate

First let me say this I live 90 miles from Houston and drive an hour and half each way to work there daily. I've been through both Hurricane Rita in 2005 and Hurricane Ike in 2008. This storm, 4 days before anyone knew where  land fall would be, was a tropical depression with predictions from ALL weather professional of developing into a CAT 1 Hurricane at most with 75 MPH winds. Still a scary event to live through, but sustainable in most cases and still better than being trapped in a car. Two days out until land fall it went from a CAT 1 to a CAT 4! So let me put that in perceptive for you...it went from 45 mph winds sustained to 135 mph + SUSTAINED in less than 4 days!!

I've ended up with 49" of rain in the last 5 days in are the gets 55-60" per year average! I've got 5 feet of water in my house, no chance of going back to work anytime soon. But I still consider myself fortunate. I've got my family safe with food and FRESH water, I have insurance, and a dry place to stay right now. In the months and maybe the next year, I have to deal with finding a place to live for my family, FEMA, insurance adjusters trying to screw me. CLEAN UP, contractors also trying to screw me, My JOB to pay the bills and the list goes on. Hey ADAM if you like jet on down here, it won't take you long. I'm with the emergency management team here. I can get you a lift from the airport. It will take a high water vehicle and a couple of small bots to get here! Come on down....bring rubber boots and hope your not squeamish about walking around in water with chemicals from people garages and sewage. OH...and don't forget about the alligators and snakes.  So unless you live here, and faced what it's like to evacuate a city with over 2.5 to 3 million people ALL on the roads at the same time trying to escape the storm, And then have to live the lives of me and my family along with a quarter of the state of Texas,  I'd say that statement is absurd! Here's are a couple points to ponder while you and you mods finalize the quick decision to band me..........because I really don't care ..... no more than you did when you typed that statement....I'm sure there are quite a few people on this site in affected areas that just haven't checked in here yet, but I bet I'm not the only one that will show their displeasure with that statement when they do!.

First point: where would 35 counties of people go? remember this storm affected  and area from Corpus Christi to San Antonio to |Austin to the border of Louisiana. The affected area could cover the size of the state of  South Carolina.  I took this straight from a news site:

At its peak, a third of Harris County, part of the Houston metropolitan area and home to 4.6 million people, was reportedly underwater - an area 15 times the size of Manhattan.

This is just the affected area in the Houston area.

Second point: If you have ever experienced a hurricane or flood, the LAST place you want to be is in a vehicle. Where  130+ MPH winds and water on the road leave a zero visibility. 6" of moving flood waters will float a car filed with YOUR family to CERTAIN DEATH. As of this post the number of lives lost is 35! I'm sure that will rise but not to the staggering amount if they tried to evacuate with a 2 day notice. Last time they tried that was for Hurricane Rita in 2005. There were SO many people on the roads trying to leave Houston there was gridlock over a hundred miles. Some peoples cars broke down or ran out of gas and no gas available. Now what do you do with car load of YOUR FAMILY stranded in the middle of a historic evacuation?  With that experience they estimated it would take Houston a week or more to escape. That's just Houston in Harris County. There are hundred of thousands of people that live on the outskirts of Houston trying to do the same thing...EVACUATE! Then let's throw in the other 34 counties in Texas trying to get there population out of harms way!

Saffir-simpson hurricane scale

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I knew about the coming storm at least 4 days before it hit. You've stated an argument that relies mostly on the assumption that everyone would wait until the last minute to leave... I'm just not buying it. If it were my family down there, I would have packed them up and hit the road well before the 2 day evacuation notice was given - I don't need or want to rely on the government to tell me when I need to take action.

This is completely different than, for example, when the island of Dominica was destroyed several years back. THOSE people had nowhere to go, and the good people here at DV launched a campaign to help them. THOSE people I had sympathy for.

Anyway, nothing you wrote will get you banned. You have an opinion, and although we may not agree on all points, I believe you stated your thoughts in a respectful manner and we do not ban people for disagreeing.

Best wishes to you in the cleanup. :tiphat: 

• Upvote 11

All Though WE (EMT) and EMC also don't agree with you last post. Refer to my post........EVEN 4 DAYS isn't enough time to evacuate. Also 4 days out it was a tropical storm, no reason to call for an evacuation. Even if you did run inland your still dependent on the government. Maybe not at that moment, but take a look at the devastation . Chances are you will be needing that government when you do return. Here where I'm at there will be no city services, limited food water for maybe 3-4 more days, NO GAS, No electricity for weeks. And very high probability of additional high water for another week or so as the water sheds above us are now releasing water down stream at full volume. Some are taking in more water at these water sheds than they can release. We are expecting water levels to rise through the weekend.  

It was 2 days out it was upgraded to a CAT 2 and quickly went to a CAT 4. You and this site need to understand we know the risk of living near the coast. Just like you choose live where you do, we choose to be here. But this is an unprecedented storm that has never been documented to have as a "GO-BY" on having a play book ready to use. The government on all levels here in the great state of Texas made the right choices and saved hundreds if not thousands of lives! PERIOD! I'm sorry AM but you are way to disconnected on what happens in a disaster zone after one hits your state, county, city and home. I'm out as I have to spend another 12-14 hr shift helping fellow Americans, friends, families sort out this new day of emotional stress and devastation. LMK when you or anyone on this site outside of the state of Texas that backs up your statement, can fly down... roll up your sleeves to really get a reality check and want a real disaster zone covering as much area as it does looks like! We are all ears on how it could be improved so the LOSE OF LIFE IS ZERO! I'm not mad, but tied and frustrated by arm chair quarterbacks that think they know better.

?url=http%3A%2F%2Faccuweather-bsp.s3.amazonaws.com%2F0d%2Fcc%2F7123a6cd4379918e518093697c8d%2Fharvey-risk-826-am.jpg

This is a classic example to show that where you get your news is the most important thing. You both make very excellent points, but I would like to show that this man on this site was predicting the exact events that occurred as far back as the 21st of August

https://www.weatherbell.com

he was on The Rush Limbaugh Show and The Sean Hannity Show along with the Glenn Beck show every day for over 1 week warning people who would listen to get out of the way of hurricane Harvey.

• Upvote 3

I live in Texas, moved from Houston area four years ago, so I've been thru many hurricanes as far back as Hurricane Carla in 1961  (yep, I'm showing my age now).  I still work in Houston so I'm there very often.    We all do make our own choices about where we live.  I just want to add that there were many many people that did evacuate ahead of the storm , and now are coming back home to complete devastation.    I'll have to say that there were many people in the Rockport/Port Aransas area that had plenty of time to evacuate, but refused.   When they were told to evacuate, some choose to "ride it out".   They've probably ridden out many hurricanes/storms in the past and thought they could ride this one out too.   That choice has been made by many thousands of people over the many years I've been living in Houston.   What those people don't think about is the EMS & Emergency people that will have to go back in to try to get them out when they are clinging to the top of a tree, hanging on for dear life.    So the people that did listen & got out, kudo's to them for protecting their families and themselves, and NOT putting others in harm's way.    The one thing that everyone didn't plan on was how long Harvey hung around & the massive amount of rain that it dumped.  So the flooding north of Rockport/Port Aransas (like Houston, Rosharon,  Brazos River, Beaumont, etc) is what caught alot of people off guard.   The water came up so fast in unexpected areas and most of those areas weren't told to evacuate.   The news was constantly telling everyone "STAY PUT".   Don't get on the roads.    So for many, I understand how & why they were caught off guard with this flood.   

We Texans are very resilient, stubborn, hard-headed, determined, strong people.    I have no doubt that we'll bounce back.  Everyone is jumping in, the communities are coming together to help each other & I'm seeing a healing across the various lines of hatred in the past.   The color of ones skin doesn't factor into whether you jump in & help.  You just go & help wherever you can.   That's the silver lining in this mess down here!  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 6

If there is something that can be done on our end please post it....I hesitate to just send money...I have issues with trusting  that it will get to where it needs to go through corporations...but meeting someone somewhere in Texas over the weekend with supplies for those here is something I am more that willing to do. 

message me paperboy if that is something you want to cnsider

• Upvote 2

Snowglobe - giving money is the easiest.    If you want to go that route, I recommend JJ Watt's foundation.   He's one of the good guys & will do things right.  Here's a link:  http://jjwfoundation.org/        And another one that I really like is the Salvation Army.   I've been involved with them in the past & they are truly sincere people - and the local chapter in Houston isn't so huge that they lose sight of the end results.      They stay connected to the people they are helping.    

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Adam Montana said:

I knew about the coming storm at least 4 days before it hit. You've stated an argument that relies mostly on the assumption that everyone would wait until the last minute to leave... I'm just not buying it. If it were my family down there, I would have packed them up and hit the road well before the 2 day evacuation notice was given - I don't need or want to rely on the government to tell me when I need to take action.

This is completely different than, for example, when the island of Dominica was destroyed several years back. THOSE people had nowhere to go, and the good people here at DV launched a campaign to help them. THOSE people I had sympathy for.

Anyway, nothing you wrote will get you banned. You have an opinion, and although we may not agree on all points, I believe you stated your thoughts in a respectful manner and we do not ban people for disagreeing.

Best wishes to you in the cleanup. :tiphat: 

I lived near redneck Riviera for decades  and  lived thru countless hurricanes,some worse than others.  I can tell ya that when the forecast was category 3 or higher WE LEFT. We didn't need to be told that we were in imminent danger(common sense). Usually when the Gov would put out a warning advising folks to leave more times than not the highways were closed inbound...and used for outbound only. So while I'm sorry for the devastation & loss of life....  IMO it could've been minimized. 

Edited by caz1104
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, SnowGlobe7 said:

If there is something that can be done on our end please post it....I hesitate to just send money...I have issues with trusting  that it will get to where it needs to go through corporations...but meeting someone somewhere in Texas over the weekend with supplies for those here is something I am more that willing to do. 

message me paperboy if that is something you want to cnsider

And WALMART is donating 2X as much as every donation they receive for relief. I understand donations can even be made on their website. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, paperboy said:

And another one that I really like is the Salvation Army.   I've been involved with them in the past & they are truly sincere people - and the local chapter in Houston isn't so huge that they lose sight of the end results.      They stay connected to the people they are helping.    

Couldn't Agree more Paperboy!  One of the young men I knew from the Salvation Army has been on site almost since the beginning!  When others rush out...they rush in to help!  They fed over 600+ meals in one day with just two guys...and that's just a small part.  I can't think of a group that puts more back into those in need than th S.A.!  I was there for the unprecedented flooding in Nashville in 2010...at the time it was the second worst disaster only second to Katrina.  No national news crews showed up for 10 days. But the S.A. was there the whole time!  

I hear both sides of this discussion...but the bottom line is if Mother Nature is winding up with a blow and you decide to "stick it out" then that's on you...and your family!  If you can't get out I understand that too.  In reality it's often a damned if you do, damned if you don't proposition!  Whatever the case we feel you Texas and Louisiana...and our hearts and prayers are going out to you! 

• Upvote 1

For the record, I've personally donated multiple times to various charities since this started... I didn't mean to sound like I don't care or am not willing to help! Those of you longer-time members know I personally went to Dominica and "got my hands dirty" during that disaster.

I'd like to put up a banner on the site to encourage people to donate. Walmart, donating 2X, sounds like a good option.

Any opinions on which organization would be the best use of our resources?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Adam Montana said:

Those of you longer-time members know I personally went to Dominica and "got my hands dirty" during that disaster.

:DI remember that because in involved a big rig. :lol:

You don't need to explain yourself Bro. Those who know you know your heart and understand what it's like living in the Gulch. :tiphat:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

:DI remember that because in involved a big rig. :lol:

You don't need to explain yourself Bro. Those who know you know your heart and understand what it's like living in the Gulch. :tiphat:

I'll second that, Scotty!  Oh, and nice touch.... the head and heart of Reason lives in the Gulch!  See you there!  :twothumbs:

• Upvote 3