Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

The coordinating body between the provinces is considering holding elections and confirms: America is a friend and Iran is a neighbor

Reuters

‘IRAN OUT’

Sadr will not become prime minister as he did not run in the election but his apparent victory puts him in a position to pick someone for the job. Winning the largest number of seats does not automatically guarantee that, however. The other winning blocs would have to agree on the nomination.

• Thanks 2

Wow, how the tables have turned since yesterday!  Let's hope Mahmoud doesn't pull any tricks.  If Sadr's party gets to form the next government we are going to see a mass exodus of the corrupt.  They need to get Maliki's and all State of law passports today.  Lol.  Sadr, once again the King Maker.  The question is who will he pick as the next Prime minister and what does this mean for US presence in Iraq?

• Thanks 2

I don’t know if I’m emotionally prepared for things slowing waaaay down! I was just starting to get excited again two weeks ago before they came to a grinding halt due to elections..... now Ramadan.... then EID....

Its always something causing us to hurry up and wait! Ugh

Back to Cryptos I guess, at least it ain’t like watching paint dry 😂

• Upvote 1

(Reuters) - Nationalist cleric Moqtada al-Sadr, a long-time adversary of the United States, led in Iraq's parliamentary election with more than half the votes counted on Monday, the electoral commission said, in a surprise turn of fortune for the Shi'ite leader.

In the first election since Islamic State was defeated in the country, Shi'ite militia chief Hadi al-Amiri's bloc, which is backed by Iran, was in second place, while Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi, once seen as the front-runner, trailed in third position.

The preliminary results were based on a count of more than 95 percent of the votes cast in 10 of Iraq's 18 provinces.

Unlike Abadi, a rare ally of both the United States and Iran, Sadr is an opponent of both of the countries which have wielded influence in Iraq since a U.S.-led invasion toppled Sunni dictator Saddam Hussein and ushered the Shi'ite majority to power.

Sadr has led two uprisings against U.S. forces in Iraq and is one of the few Shi'ite leaders to distance himself from Iran.

Potraying himself as an Iraqi nationalist, Sadr has a zealous following among the young, poor and dispossessed, but he had been sidelined by influential Iranian-backed figures.

He can not become prime minister as he did not run in the election, though his apparent victory puts him in a position to pick someone for the job.

But even then his bloc might not necessarily form the next government since whoever wins the most seats must negotiate a coalition government in order to have a majority in parliament. The government should be formed within 90 days of the official results.

The election held on Saturday is the first since the defeat of Islamic State, with the capture of its de facto capital Mosul, last year. The group overran a third of Iraq in 2014.

Turnout was 44.52 percent with 92 percent of votes counted, the Independent High Electoral Commission said - that was significantly lower than in previous elections. Full results are due to be officially announced later on Monday.

Sadr and Amiri both came in first in four of the 10 provinces where votes were counted, but the cleric's bloc won significantly more votes in the capital, Baghdad, which has the highest number of seats.

A document provided to Reuters by a candidate in Baghdad that was also circulating among journalists and analysts showed results from all 18 provinces.

Reuters could not independently verify the document's authenticity but the results in it showed Sadr had won the nationwide popular vote with more than 1.3 million votes and gained 54 of parliament's 329 seats.

He was followed by Amiri with more than 1.2 million votes, translating into 47 seats, and Abadi with more than 1 million votes and 42 seats, according to calculations made by Reuters based on the document. Ex-Prime Miniser Nuri al-Maliki, a close ally of Iran like Amiri, came in fourth with 25 seats.

Winning the largest number of seats does not automatically guarantee that Sadr will be able to hand-pick a prime minister. The other winning blocs would have to agree on the nomination.

In a 2010 election, Vice President Ayad Allawi's group won the largest number of seats, albeit with a narrow margin, but he was blocked from becoming prime minister for which he blamed Tehran.

And a similar fate could befall Sadr. Iran has publicly stated it would not allow his bloc to govern and may try to form a governing coalition between its allies, Amiri and Maliki.

"We will not allow liberals and communists to govern in Iraq," Ali Akbar Velayati, top adviser to the Islamic Republic's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, said in February.

His statement, which sparked criticism by Iraqi figures, was referring to the electoral alliance between Sadr, the Iraqi Communist Party and other secular groups who joined protests organized by Sadr in 2016 to press the government to see through a move to stem endemic corruption.

Iraqi Communist Party Secretary General Raed Fahmy told Reuters the vote in favor of the Sadrist list, backed by his group, ''is is a clear message that we must have balanced relations with all (foreign countries) based non-interference in Iraq’s internal affairs.''''Everybody is welcome to provide support to Iraq, but not at the expense of its sovereignty and independence,’’ he added.

Link Posted Above

• Thanks 1

Sadr spokesman: We will agree to re-nominate Abadi prime minister in exchange for the fulfillment of this condition 2018/05/14 15:24 Baghdad today - follow-up A spokesman for the leader of the Sadrist movement Salah al-Obeidi said that the current supporter of the Alliance, which won the highest votes does not insist on naming a candidate for prime minister, while referring to the existence of a single condition in exchange for supporting the nomination of Haider al-Abbadi to head the next government. Al-Obeidi said in a television interview (Baghdad today) that "there is no problem in the nomination of Abadi to head the next government if he made pledges according to specific schedules in exchange for his support for the prime minister, " adding that " Do not belong to parties and lead their positions away from the pressure of their masses. " He pointed out that "there is no major list is locked in the way to form the next government," noting that "lists that have a methodology in the fight against corruption are large lists and not small." He said that "the voting in the Iraqi elections of 2018, the rejection of previous figures, and the results of the previous elections"

• Thanks 5
  • Upvote 2

%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%B5%D8%AF%D8%B1-%D9%88%D8

Baghdad - Iraqis have expressed their rejection of the political class through the delivery of lists against the regime on top of the results of the legislative elections, which were presented to the list of Iraqi Prime Minister Haider Abadi, supported by the international community.

These lists, led by the popular Shiite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr and the Communists and the second, which includes the popular popular groups close to Iran, have adopted in the past an anti-Washington speech, despite their fighting alongside US forces against a militant organization.

The Sason coalition, which combines Sadr and the Communist Party on the basis of fighting corruption, ranked first in six provinces out of 18, and second in four.

Their supporters, who have been demonstrating weekly against corruption since 2015, have been holding pictures of Sadr and firemen in central Baghdad to celebrate "victory for the corrupt" and "the new stage of the Iraqi people," Zaid al-Zamili, 33, told AFP.

The Al-Fath alliance, which includes the popular popular factions, played a crucial role in supporting the security forces to defeat a pre-emptive organization, first in four provinces and then in another eight.

For Abbadi, supported by the International Alliance, he succeeded behind the "conquest" and "Saron" in all provinces except Nineveh, and the largest cities Mosul, which Abadi announced "liberated" last July.

Earlier, several political officials pointed out that Abbadi would be ranked first by about 60 seats in parliament.

However, these figures can change, as the counting of votes does not include the votes of some 700,000 members of the Iraqi security forces, in addition to the votes of about one million Iraqi expatriates.

But in any case, Iraqi voters have dealt a heavy blow to the dominant political class for 15 years, with an unprecedented reluctance to participate in legislative elections.

The Electoral Commission announced that voter turnout was 44.52 percent, the lowest since the start of multi-party elections in 2005.

Denial of promises

The reluctance to vote was very large, regardless of sect, unlike previous elections in which Shiites voted heavily to assert their authority, while Sunnis abstained from participation because of their sense of marginalization as well as their threat by jihadist organizations.

The political analyst Amir Saadi said in a press statement that "the reluctance to a large percentage of participation in the elections is due to the majority was not satisfied and did not satisfy the performance of the political class during the past 15 years. Intentional boycott, there is a lack of confidence "in the outgoing MPs.

"The programs of the political parties were often during the past revolutions of the citizen, but when the time comes to apply, we see a process of abandonment and withdrawal from the promises they launched."

24-year-old Nofal Nafie, who has decided not to give his vote to one of the candidates.

"Most of the candidates before the elections came to us," said the young oil engineering graduate who was unemployed three years ago. "What happened is a withdrawal of confidence.

"Once the vote was over, they closed their phones and blocked us. Hallelujah, "but his friend and colleague in the specialty Mahmoud Sikban considered that non-election" let down. "

"I cried a lot. How can I ask for change and on this one day I have power over them I am not using them?They are afraid of us. "

The reluctance to vote was lower for the Kurds, and in Mosul, which the security forces recently recovered from jihadists.

The participation of the Kurds, who were driven out of the disputed areas with Baghdad and still bear the negative consequences of the referendum on independence, registered between seven and nine points higher than national participation.

In the multi-ethnic Kirkuk province, tension has increased between Kurds, Arabs and Turkmen, and this may lead to a manual recount of votes.

The word separation 
Stay away from the old faces 
towards the renewal of the political scene, 
but in other places, especially in Baghdad, where the participation rate was 32 percent, according to sources in the Electoral Commission, "Iraqis felt that the game is over, and the elections prepared in advance," said Karim Bitar Middle East expert at the Institute of International and Strategic Relations in Paris.

"The sectarian and nepotism regimes have created obstacles to the entry of new forces of change, which has frustrated voters," Bitar explained.

Many Iraqis say they do not believe in the complex proportionality that has brought the government a diverse alliance, and the distribution of senior positions in the state among different communities.

They believe that the country that adopts a political system aimed at preventing the one-party domination of power is not the final word, and that the decision goes back to abroad, especially Washington and Tehran.

There is tension between Iran and the United States over the recent withdrawal of the Iranian nuclear deal.

In 2014, the two countries implicitly agreed to choose Abbadi and ousted his Dawa party partner Nuri al-Maliki from power.

The Arabs

• Upvote 2

With 95% of votes counted, Moqtadr al-Sadr in pole position to choose next prime minister

Reuters in Baghdad

Mon 14 May 2018 10.03 BST Last modified on Mon 14 May 2018 10.36 BST

5760.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=317747d2e6e4d3a9ac102abec2240e89
An Iraqi woman holds a picture of Muqtada al-Sadr during celebrations in Tahrir Square, Baghdad, on Monday
Photograph: Karim Kadim/AP

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, coorslite21 said:

I believe it is likely the MSM is over blowing this story.......why?.......who knows.........

remember HRC had it in the bag....she was in control........let's wait it out a while, and see what the true results are.......JMO.....CL

Agreed CL! Abadi and Sadr work together very well! I’m more optimistic now then even before! Sadr is good for Iraq, as much as Abadi is!!!

F180E731-40EB-4C40-A2C1-8F9FAC84751D.png

Edited by jcfrag
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

I guess I missed something-evidently Sadr & NOT Abadi has been responsible for the last 4 years of Bringing Iraq back from the Black Hole Maliki dropped them into.

Well it’s Iraq, and I certainly don’t profess to know The Who, What, When, Where, Why & the WTF of the goings on of that sun baked mob.

Hopefully it comes out well in the end and we can all get off this bucking Camel 🐪 Ride before the end of this year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, magawatt said:

I'm thinking he will choose Abadi. Corruption is a big issue for Sadr.

Got off the phone a few minutes back from a buddy who’s in this: he’s read an article stating Sadr will choose Abadi to carry on. Which would position the reforms and such, well. Hope it’s the case. Enuff is enuff, already.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, jcfrag said:

Agreed CL! Abadi and Sadr work together very well! I’m more optimistic now then even before! Sadr is good for Iraq, as much as Abadi is!!!

F180E731-40EB-4C40-A2C1-8F9FAC84751D.png

Except that he has some sort of alliance with the Communist Party.  

Not exactly sure, but that's what I read.

And the picture you posted is not al Sadr.  It's Hakim.

Edited by Floridian
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

11 minutes ago, 10 YEARS LATER said:

Got off the phone a few minutes back from a buddy who’s in this: he’s read an article stating Sadr will choose Abadi to carry on. Which would position the reforms and such, well. Hope it’s the case. Enuff is enuff, already.

I read an article this morning stating he will choose Abadi....IF.....Abadi agrees to certain demands Sadr has 

31 minutes ago, Floridian said:

Except that he has some sort of alliance with the Communist Party.  

Not exactly sure, but that's what I read.

And the picture you posted is not al Sadr.  It's Hakim.

Sorry that people hate this post.  Honestly didn't mean to be "mean".

I guess I could have put it in a nicer way.  Apologies to JCfrag.  🙁

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Floridian said:

Sorry that people hate this post.  Honestly didn't mean to be "mean".

I guess I could have put it in a nicer way.  Apologies to JCfrag.  🙁

No apologies required Floridian. It’s all up in the air. I do feel Sadr could well be the one that forces Abadi to truly deal with the corruption. I strongly feel both Sadr and Abadi are on the side striving to reach the same goals. Elect officials with integrity, get rid of the divivisions within the country, bring Iraq back to its former glory!

More bumps in the road to destiny, but it’s still the road to progress!!

👍😉

• Upvote 5

• yota691 changed the title to The coordinating body between the provinces is considering holding elections and confirms: America is a friend and Iran is a neighbor
  • yota691 locked this topic