Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

If Republicans lose the healthcare fight, it's the beginning of the end

The right has had its spells in the wilderness, where they’ve been exiled from power. If they lose this bill, it will put them on that road to despair

Wednesday 28 June 2017 17.17 BST

By Corey Robin

3000.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=af398742479d72f65cf7d9f5d2312379
‘The mere fact that we’ve come to this pass, where the bill’s fate is in doubt, despite Republican control, is worth noting.’
Photograph: Alex Wong/Getty Images

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/28/republicans-healthcare-fight-beginning-end

• Downvote 1

the reason the healthcare bill is so difficult is that it is hard for govt to give something and then take it back. You have thousands on medicaid that shouldn't be on it. Obama raised the medicaid requirement to 400% above the poverty line. that equals for a family of 4, close to $100K and they still qualify for medicaid.

• Upvote 1

I just don't understand why they just don't Repel it complete and get the hell out of health Insurance all together.....put it back the way it was where employers could offer it or not as a benefit, people could buy it or not....their choice.

I don't know if this country will ever be able to completely recover from the destruction done of the last 8 years under obama's reign of terror.

Karsten

• Upvote 2

On 6/30/2017 at 10:37 AM, bigwave said:

I agree that the RINOS do not want a new health care bill that works as they want single payer.

On 6/30/2017 at 0:16 PM, markb57 said:

the reason the healthcare bill is so difficult is that it is hard for govt to give something and then take it back. You have thousands on medicaid that shouldn't be on it. Obama raised the medicaid requirement to 400% above the poverty line. that equals for a family of 4, close to $100K and they still qualify for medicaid.

On 6/30/2017 at 1:19 PM, Karsten said:

I just don't understand why they just don't Repel

McConnell, the RINO Senate majority leader refused Trump's request this week to hold a simple ACA repeal.

One of the biggest problems with insurance before it was shoved down America's throat in the ACA was the overburdensome regulations, especially over the top were requirements for qualifying providers.

They were not allowed to cross state lines, even though the financial and other regulatory requirements were identical.

By the time every provider jumped through all the red tape, it increased the cost of doing business, which was obviously passed onto the consumer.

It's all about the lobby.

Two of the most powerful combined lobbies supported ACA.

Only the BIG healthcare providers, because it took out all the smaller, and independent brokers, and now the big providers would not only be allowed to set outrageously high prices to offer outrageously absurd policies which almost no one actually needed all the bloat, and, guess who, of course, pharmaceuticals.

Here were the guys paying for the big money lobbies on K street during the process

Amgen—  the nation’s largest biotechnology firm
BIO—        a mulimillion dollar biotechnology firm
Merck --     the largest pharmaceutical company in the world
Pharmaceutical Researchers and Manufacturers of America–
a trade group representing pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies

Grover Park Group:

Blue Cross—    a federation of 39 health insurance organizations
Pfizer—            a pharmaceutical company, ranking number one in sales in the world

Duberstein Group:

Novartis—          a pharmaceutical company ranking number one in revenues and three in sales
Sanofi-Aventis—a pharmaceutical company that ranks number four in sales worldwide

Mehlman, Vogel, Castagnetti:

Humana—        the fourth largest health insurance company in the United States
Abbott Laboratories—a multi billion dollar pharmaceuticals healthcare company
General Electric—multi billion dollar corporation dealing in many health related sectors

Elmendorf strategies:

UnitedHealth Group—the nations largest health insurance company

Heather Podesta & Partners:

Cigna—             the nation’s fifth largest health insurance company 
Eli Lilly—        a multi billion dollar pharmaceutical company that ranks tenth in sales

I did have a customer that was an emergency room doctor. In case you were not aware, most doctors are actually a contract vendor to hospitals. A lot of doctors get together and open a co-op group that  through dues can then afford to hire better lawyers, who also have the collective bargaining tool for their negotiations , hire billing staff, accountants, etc, and the cost of the collective is less than what each it would cost each individual.

His physician group contributed to some lobby firms, as they calculated once enacted the visits to the ER would increase x 4. 

On the other side, one of my sisters owns an insurance brokerage, and they had to quit writing almost all health policies due to cost. 

The ER doctors get paid "piece work", set amount per patient, then set amount per procedure.

I realized that doctor believed in the Hippocratic Oath well beyond it's Greek meaning, and, I apparently was not keeping up with my competition if he was still utilizing my services.

Now, all procedures, from a couple stitches, to pulling a tooth, has a set price that has gone up by at least 400%.

Even with a deductible most pay more now than what it would cost for the whole thing. before.

Tooth extraction before $150.

Tooth extraction now $450.

If you haven't paid your $1000, $5000, or $10,000, then you pay whole bill.

Is best to claim no insurance and pay less.

Disclaimer: I use the VA, and do not have a private policy, so those costs were described by a friend who just went through it.

I'm sure that doc is enjoying his windfall, but don't know for sure, as I blacklisted him.  

I hope he figures out a way to take all that money with him to hell, after what he helped do to destroy any hope of fair pricing and reduce the quality of our healthcare, he can have no other destination...

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, divemaster5734 said:

I hope he figures out a way to take all that money with him to hell, after what he helped do to destroy any hope of fair pricing

I have been saying for a long time:

Does it really take $1,500.00 + effort to inject someone?

If I can get a CT scan brain to testicles, including heart for $750.00, should UC Davis Med Center be able to charge $8,800.00 for just the brain?

If I can get a MRI of the neck or lower spine for $400.00 cash should the same center be able to charge the insurance company $2,200.00 for each?

I figure if fair competition is brought into the equation, (buying insurance across state lines) the prices will go way down and the doctors and hospitals will be the un-happy ones as they will not see the big profits anymore.

IMO very much part of the hold up in getting "fair pricing."

• Upvote 1

umbertino

• umbertino
  • Members
  • 55,000 posts
  • LocationTrento,Italy

The right has had its spells in the wilderness, where they’ve been exiled from power. If they lose this bill, it will put them on that road to despair

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"CRACKHEAD BULL SHITE." LGD 

• Upvote 1