Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Kentucky Coal Mining Museum switches to solar power

Kentucky Coal Mining Museum switches to solar power

Published April 06, 2017

The Kentucky Coal Mining Museum is switching to solar power to cut energy costs.

The Kentucky Coal Mining Museum is switching to solar power to cut energy costs.  (AP Photo/Ajit Solanki, File)

The Kentucky Coal Mining Museum is switching to a new form of energy -- solar power. 

The museum in Benham began installing the solar panels on Tuesday, WYMT reported. Brandon Robinson, the museum's communications director, said the goal is to save money in the long run. 

"We believe that this project will help save at least $8,000 to $10,000 off the energy costs on this building alone," Robinson told WYMT. 

The museum is owned by Southeast Kentucky Community and Technical College. Robinson said the savings would go back to the school and its students. 

Robinson admitted the switch from coal to solar energy is "a little ironic," but said the two power sources work "hand-in-hand."

"And, of course, coal is still king around here," Robinson said. 

The project is being funded through an outside foundation and will cost thousands of dollars, according to Robinson.

Twenty solar panels, the average needed to power a house, would cost between $17,000 and $20,000 to install, though the costs would be recouped from savings within five to seven years, according to WYMT.

Okay I don't care who you are this is funny....

B/A

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Indraman said:

Good for them...technology and private donations making economic decisions for what is best for them. 

Indy 

It is funny, there is a movement to save the coal business with corporate welfare, and yet they don't support themselves.... If I were a miner I don't think I would be paying to visit the museum.

B/A

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, nstoolman1 said:

The college OWNS the museum not the coal industry. Why would they not want to cut operating costs.

If they had to lay off a professor you would be screaming "corporate greed". You can not have it both ways.  

Why don't you heat your house with a coal furnace? I'm just asking. Maybe you can convert your car to a steam engine and burn coal. Why not? Because it is not the best option, you know it, I know it and apparently the museum does too. Now if we could only get Washington to understand there are better ways to invest tax dollars than on 17th century technology. Perhaps you don't care about your grandkids future.

B/A

Edited by bostonangler

BA, you are a Leftist Ideologue who can't make the leap in logic from private industry making decisions that are best for them, and the Government controlling every aspect of our lives. 

Coal Energy is a viable solution to America's energy portfolio and until there are other viable alternatives to coal, it will remain a staple in the energy portfolio.

I would argue that Nuclear could fill the void and replace coal as an alternative energy solution, but there are environmental concerns with this energy industry as well. Hydro is at an impasse as it is next to impossible to get people to support building more dams. NG is a great supplement and alternative, but again this is geographically constrained as it depends upon the natural resource.

It is a fantasy dream that wind and solar will replace our current energy options of coal, hydro, NG, and nuclear; this is never going to happen. So you and the rest of the Leftist Ideologues who want to shut off the current energy options for solar and wind will need to propose something that is realistic, not a fantasy dream.

Indy 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, nstoolman1 said:

You are not addressing the issue I raised. Is it not their property to do as they wish?

I am not going to get into a debate on how much I "care" about my potential grand children or anyone else for that matter. 

I didn't want to start a debate, I just found it amusing... It was a funny story, but I forgot, you can't have fun here people are to serious.