Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Newsweek; Mosul, Oil Law & Tal Afar

ametad

http://www.newsweek.com/isiss-looming-defeat-mosul-puts-iraqi-politics-crossroad-623217

Mosul will be liberated.

Will the Oil Law come before or after Tal Afar?

I'm thinking the entire North of Iraq needs liberated with quick political stability through the Oil Law to prevent a civil war from beginning.

Does anyone know how strong IS is in Tal Afar? Is this another possible Fallujah?

• Upvote 2

http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/en/originals/2017/05/tal-afar-iraq-turkey-popular-mobilization-units.html

What's holding up the liberation of Iraq's Tal Afar?

Iraq's Popular Mobilization Units (PMU) has had the city of Tal Afar surrounded for months, awaiting approval to launch a siege against the Islamic State (IS). That approval, however, might never come for the controversial group.

Summary Print There are various accounts of why Tal Afar, Iraq, remains under the Islamic State's control despite the presence of armed forces ready and waiting to reclaim the city.
Author Adnan Abu ZeedPosted May 5, 2017
TranslatorSahar Ghoussoub

Some officials are worried about what might happen if the largely Shiite PMU leads the liberation of the predominately Sunni Arab and Turkmen city, which has been under IS control since June 2014. There are different theories as to why no action has been taken yet.

Haider al-Tamimi, a PMU leader, told the media April 27 that the forces are on the periphery of Tal Afar, which is about 40 miles west of Mosul. But in a decision that could be more political than military, Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi has said that for now they must not enter the city.

In fact, Abadi bluntly declared as far back as November, “The PMU will be excluded from the battle of Tal Afar, as the fighting will be entrusted to fighters from the city and the forces of the army.”

After his forces liberated Al-Hadar district south of Mosul on April 27, PMU Deputy Commander Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis said, “The PMU is ready to break into Tal Afar, despite the objection demonstrated by some."

Jawad al-Talibawi, another PMU leader, said April 25 that some members blame the PMU restrictions on internal and external political pressure on Abadi. Iraqi Hezbollah was more explicit, calling on the government not “to yield to the US and regional pressures.”

Parliament member Nahla al-Hababi, a Tal Afar native, told Al-Monitor these pressures “led to a dispute between the government and the PMU factions on the priorities of the liberation process and the extent of the PMU participation in it.”

“Abadi is trying to avoid another military and political battle with Turkey, which threatened Baghdad [that it would] intervene militarily in Tal Afar” if the PMU took part in the operation, Hababi said.

"The government does not want to give Turkey the opportunity to settle scores with its opponents, mainly the Kurdistan Workers Party, inside Iraqi territory. However, Turkey’s influence is likely to diminish if Washington and Baghdad agree on a deadline and the best way to liberate the city,” she added.

Dishwar Faqir, the spokesman for the Yazidi's Sinjar Resistance Units, told the media April 27 that the Turkish attacks against Kurdish-led forces fighting IS on Sinjar Mountain benefited IS in Mosul and Tal Afar. He added, "Turkey is planning to wipe out Shiites from Tal Afar."

In the same vein, writer and journalist Jaafar al-Talafari, who was displaced from the city, told Al-Monitor, “[Turkish President Recep Tayyip] Erdogan’s statements against the PMU are an indication of his will to control Tal Afar, as he believes PMU entry to the city would mean it will be controlled by Iranian Shiites.”

Commenting on the extent of disagreement between Abadi and the PMU over the liberation of Tal Afar, PMU leader Karim al-Nuri told Al-Monitor, “The dispute between the two sides is exaggerated, as the PMU is now [surrounding] Tal Afar from all sides. In light of this situation, Abadi was working on easing up lots of international, Gulf and regional pressure, as he kept the different stakeholders in check as to the field situation.”

Nuri added, “Abadi’s response to these pressures — delaying the liberation operations — does not mean there is a dispute with the PMU.”

Part of the delay is due to the preparation time needed for the battle, he said. Liberating al-Hadar beforehand helps "pave the way to entering Tal Afar because Hadar was used by IS to supply its forces" in Mosul and Tal Afar.

At the tactical, technical and military levels, Brig. Gen. Yehia Rasul, the spokesman for the joint operations, told Al-Monitor, “There have been no measures on the ground to try to isolate the PMU or prevent it from liberating Tal Afar, especially since it is part of the military system.”

He added, “Any decision taken by the prime minister is a response to the field situation, as well as regional and international positions. The battle of Tal Afar and Mosul entails regional dimensions as it is part of the fight against global terrorism. Preparing for such a battle should not create any domestic and sectarian problems, as this could benefit the extremist forces."

Saad al-Hadithi, the spokesman for the Iraqi prime minister, told Al-Monitor, “The participation of any Iraqi faction in the battle against IS and the liberation of Tal Afar is bound to a sovereign decision, which has nothing to do with any external party." According to Hadithi, "Abadi's’ position regarding PMU participation in any battle is clear. He informed the international parties that the PMU is part of the armed forces and has a duty to liberate the lands, be it in Tal Afar or elsewhere.”

Regardless of the scale of PMU participation in Tal Afar's liberation, the battle is subject to local and regional political calculations, as the city is home to different sects and ethnicities, though Turkey views it as having a Turkmen/Sunni bent. Some observers also believe that an expanded PMU role would help its Iran-backed Shiite components implement Iran's agendas in Syria through the city, given its locatio

Read more: http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2017/05/tal-afar-iraq-turkey-popular-mobilization-units.html#ixzz4jdLLh7O3

• Upvote 7

https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/mosul-will-retake-kirkuk-sinjar-tal-afar-isis-us-general/

http://www.iraqinews.com/iraq-war/iraqi-command-target-tal-afar-mosul-officials-say-750-fighters-remain-city/

The army will join forces with al-Hashd al-Shaabi (Popular Mobilization Units) to liberate what is left of the province, especially Tal Afar, the main haven for Daesh (Islamic State) leaders,” Jubouri told the newspaper.
He also pointed to ongoing operations to retake Qairawan, Baaj and Adnaniya, all near Tal Afar.

The Iraqi Joint Operations Command said Tuesday its forces took over 89.5 percent of territories in western Mosul, adding it had killed more than 16000 militants since the launch of Mosul operations in October.

Meanwhile, Abdul-Sattar Habbu, an adviser for the Nineveh province council, said there are currently 750 Islamic State militants remaining in Mosul, adding that those are concentrated in al-Farouq, Zanjili and the Old City.

“Security forces are besieging those mostly foreign criminals as most of the leaders had fled, leaving those elements to death or captivity,” Habbu said.

Tal-Afar-west-of-Mosul-google-maps-600x480.png

Edited by SnowGlobe7
  • Upvote 8

IS MOSUL really the lynch pin ? For everything to proceed/Ch7, RV, Reforms etc, is the " Liberation " of Tal Afar necessary to achieve the Means to the End ? If this is the TRUE case of things, we're all going to be hear for quit awhile. 

I've been suspicious for some time that Tal Afar [ the real objective ], still remaining under ISIS control must be taken; is it possible the Liberation of Mosul may NOT be the catalyst for Reforms/Ch7/RV etc., when in fact, the Liberation of Tal Afar is needed in order to fulfill the requirements of the WB/IMF.

I hope I'm [ very ] wrong on this - I want what we all want and by the end of June '17 would do nicely. :twothumbs:

• Upvote 5

Just now, 10 YEARS LATER said:

IS MOSUL really the lynch pin ? For everything to proceed/Ch7, RV, Reforms etc, is the " Liberation " of Tal Afar necessary to achieve the Means to the End ? If this is the TRUE case of things, we're all going to be hear for quit awhile. 

I've been suspicious for some time that Tal Afar [ the real objective ], still remaining under ISIS control must be taken; is it possible the Liberation of Mosul may NOT be the catalyst for Reforms/Ch7/RV etc., when in fact, the Liberation of Tal Afar is needed in order to fulfill the requirements of the WB/IMF.

I hope I'm [ very ] wrong on this - I want what we all want and by the end of June '17 would do nicely. :twothumbs:

Yeah, I hear you, 10 Years Later!

Maybe the news articles are a giant smoke screen and the "Mosul is free of ISIS control" will be another ho hum announcement. If there are potent and major ISIS elements remaining in Iraq (maybe to include the crapstirmeister Baghdadi hisself) then could be an issue regarding Tal Afar or somewhere else in Iraq.

My belief is the major monetary issues will need to be in place prior to the massive reconstruction and foreign investment to Iraq. Hard to know when that tipping point is like Mosul? Tal Afar? All Iraq ISIS free? Maliki on his way to swinging from a rope (by his neck)? Soleimani getting a 165 grain headache (well, OK, maybe a 168 grain, 660 grain, 768 grain, or something like a 850 grain headache). Hey, we have some creative folks who are like really, really good at what they do and enjoy doing that!!!

:salute:   :salute:   :salute:   :salute:   :salute:   :salute:   :salute:

Yeah, maybe there are just some nasty folks that like to see good people squirm and sweat (shame on the nasty folks)!

I think we are approaching the roller coaster ride while we are entering the barrel roll one way and then the corkscrew the other way. So, might as well strap in and see what happens, er, enjoy the ride, er, ah - you know what I mean!

OH, YEAH!!!

GO, GO, GO MOOLA NOVA (LIKE NOW ALREADY)!!!

:twothumbs:   :twothumbs:   :twothumbs:

• Upvote 9

Thanks ametad , SG7....This reminds me of a scene in the movie "Outlaws Josey Wales"...when Josey had crossed the river and Fletcher and Captain Red-Legged Terrell were on the otherside...Fischer said Josey was the last of the wanted outlaws and Red-Legged Terrell said there were plenty of outlaws down in Texas and there was plenty of work down in Texas...I'm kind of like Ol' Granny Hawkins...just have a good laugh and puff on the pipe...

• Upvote 1

Mosul is like 665,000 population, compared to Tel Afar's population of 200,000. The only hold up with over taking ISIS there is Abadi wants the Iraqi army to receive the honors, as well as avoid clashes between Shites and Sunnis. I bet it could be over very quick, hence not that big of a deal. Would just depend on how embedded ISIS is there. As the article stated, the Pershma army has had the Tel Afar surrounded and isolated for months now. With the proper intel, they could move in swiftly and be done with it. If you look at the satellite map of the city is nowhere near as densely built up as Mosul was.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Botzwana said:

Thanks Jcfrag!  Hope this crap is not too much longer.

That makes two of us. I'll have to go find another hobby other then watching the news on the other side of the world. Maybe find a nice beach somewhere where they serve ice cold beer!!! :D

• Upvote 2

Cr@p. These mofo's were lying to us all again. Typical. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on you, fool me a third time, shame on us both, fool me a fifth time, I"m a dam gullible fool.

Go Rv.    

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jg1 said:

Cr@p. These mofo's were lying to us all again. Typical. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on you, fool me a third time, shame on us both, fool me a fifth time, I"m a dam gullible fool.

Go Rv.    

This article came out on 6/10/2017. Iraqi army and the Kurds are on the move. No dust settling on these guys. They are on a mission!!!

https://mobile.almasdarnews.com/article/iraqi-army-begins-major-offensive-capture-main-isis-stronghold-west-mosul/

Iraqi Army begins major offensive to capture main ISIS stronghold west of Mosul

10/06/2017
Iraqi-tanks-in-Tal-Afar-countryside-696x

DAMASCUS, SYRIA (11:35 P.M.) – Iraqi Armed Forces started the long-awaited offensive to capture Tal Afar city west of Mosul from the so-called “Islamic State”.

On Saturday morning, Iraqi Army’s 15th Division, in coordination with Popular Mobilization Units (PMU) and Kataeb Hezbollah battalions, launched a powerful assault on the eastern flank of Tal Afar pocket.

Having successfully broken through the first line of IS defense, government forces managed to liberate six villages, namely Tal Khima, Shiek Qura, Baligha, Zarnook, 

Intense clashes were ongoing till noon on Saturday, before Iraqi Army and allies stopped the advance to establish and fortify defensive positions in the liberated villages and their surroundings.

Tal-Afar-map-763x516.png
  • Upvote 4