Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Jubouri is the secession of Kurdistan, "the paper threat" required to resolve differences and obligations before it happens

yota691

1 hour ago, yota691 said:

A member of the political bureau of the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan ( PUK ) , Sadi Ahmed beer, in a press statement, said that the visit was decided in the last meeting between the Union and the Democratic Party , adding that " the delegation is composed of representatives of the parties participating in the government and representatives of the Turkmen and ChaldoAssyrians." 

Yota Thanks, DV,  The bottom line from my viewpoint is this.  The KRG is having a hard time with full transparency of the "OIL" meaning the corrupt elite in KRG is 100% stealing from the people.  The Political Parties seem to agree when it involves their own pockets so it look as if the KDP Barzani Party is trying to convince all other KRG parties to join him for Independence.    I also feel the Barzani's wants to control their own natural resources or bargain with Baghdad for a larger percentage in the budget because remember the KDP did not vote on the 2017 Budget nonetheless it passed with majority with other KRG parties that voted.  The "Oil & Gas Law" is a Big Deal and I'm certain KRG will use as leverage to get what they want.   However, PM Abadi will not give into KRG Independence and I do not think it will happen in the near to distant future in IMHO.    Again,  The Oil Wealth belong to the Iraqi people and is clearly written in their Constitution and everyone is now calling for approval.  President Trump's Team will convince them all to compromise so that all can benefit!!   I also feel that M. Barzani (President) & N. Barzani (Prime Minister) have their own differences but in the end I do feel the KRG will come to their senses and get this done!! 

Always keeping the faith!!

GO RV!!  

Edited by tigergorzow
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, yota691 said:

Kurds may be corrupt, probably are. They been trying to keep up with payroll for the fighters and supplies etc. Brazani has pulled money out of his own pocket for the displaced and provide aid for many and still does today. As far elections goes, they don't have the monies for that. As far the Independence goes  it not like they packing a bag an moving. They don't have a Central Bank, they don't have any reserve but what is in the ground. Guess what I'm saying they doing what that have to do make ends meet and fight a war at the same time. The issue I see mainly with the overall from reading the articles is Transparency on oil, I don't think payroll or salaries as they say it are that big of a deal and feel that issue is pretty much resolves with the optical system they are using....

Yota, Agree with your analysis, I do not see KRG having Independence and other countries will not support this path forward as well.   Most importantly,  Our President DJT will not support IMHO.

• Upvote 2

Supposedly on the cusp of having their IQD internationally recognized & multi-nation investment chomping at the bit waiting for the go signal.

An entire nation on the verge of Global trade - whether it be Kurd or Iraqi, they just can't seem to get out of their own way to push this thing over the goal line for the Global Touchdown.

Honestly, have you ever seen such a Royal Clusterfuq as this with SOOOOOOO much at stake ?

This incessant, uninspired petty bickering may very well lead to their downfall, if they cannot get past their shameless greed & moral corruption. I do feel great empathy for the Iraqi people to be burdened by a government (s) unbridled stupidity.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, 10 YEARS LATER said:

Supposedly on the cusp of having their IQD internationally recognized & multi-nation investment chomping at the bit waiting for the go signal.

An entire nation on the verge of Global trade - whether it be Kurd or Iraqi, they just can't seem to get out of their own way to push this thing over the goal line for the Global Touchdown.

Honestly, have you ever seen such a Royal Clusterfuq as this with SOOOOOOO much at stake ?

This incessant, uninspired petty bickering may very well lead to their downfall, if they cannot get past their shameless greed & moral corruption. I do feel great empathy for the Iraqi people to be burdened by a government (s) unbridled stupidity.

10YL,  Very well stated & very truthful words indeed my friend.

Keeping the faith!!

GO RV!!

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, tigergorzow said:

10YL,  Very well stated & very truthful words indeed my friend.

Keeping the faith!!

GO RV!!

In spite of themselves, Tige'. . . perhaps very :soon: . . . one just never knows, huh.

I'll be going back on the road driving truck early February, if this thing doesn't pop by then. Got to keep the horses fed. I had hoped the IQD would have hit by now to help kick start my business. Shortly, my time here @ DV  will be very limited as it looks like long haul OTR will gain me the most $$$$. I've held out as long as I can.

I have no doubt the EVENT will take place. I am encouraged by the delegation sent to Iraq on Trumps' first day. I'd like to be the FLY on the WALL for that meeting.

So much has been made of the "early part of 2017" - hoping they don't back peddle on this one - I feel if that were to occur, it would lead to Epic Disaster. 

a Grumpy 10 (+4) YL  and still :rocking-chair:   :wave:

• Upvote 2

Iraqi Kurdish president: Independent Kurdistan is 'neither a rumor nor a dream'

By LALLY WEYMOUTH | The Washington Post | Published: January 21, 2017

If the ongoing battle to liberate Mosul, once Iraq's second-largest city, from the Islamic State succeeds, it will be an important turning point in the war against the fundamentalist movement, also called ISIL. One of the key players in this battle is the leader of the autonomous Kurdistan region of northern Iraq, Masoud Barzani, whose peshmerga troops are fighting alongside Iraqi forces. Barzani spoke to The Washington Post's Lally Weymouth in Davos, Switzerland, this past week at the World Economic Forum. Edited excerpts follow.

Q. What would you like from the new Trump administration in Washington?

A. As far as Kurdistan, I expect that they will continue supporting us.

Q. Do you mean by giving your troops heavy weapons? What kind of support do you envision?

A. Both military and political support.

Q. What kind of military support?

A. Whatever a military fighter on the front line needs, in addition to training and capacity-building. So far, tanks and artillery have not been provided, but we really need them.

Q. Right now you have U.S. air support and air strikes.

A. Yes, good air support and air cover, which has been very helpful.

Q. And training.

A. Yes, that is true.

Q. And intelligence cooperation.

A. Intelligence cooperation is continuing between our agencies and the U.S.

Q. How long is it going to take to liberate Mosul?

A. The first 100-kilometer-long defensive lines of ISIL were attacked by peshmerga forces in October of last year. . . . Then the Iraqi troops moved toward Mosul. The Iraqi army did a good job: It is a tough fight; it is bloody. . . . In a few days, the eastern part will be finished. But what remains will be the western part of the city. . . . It is difficult to estimate when the mission will be over, but militarily, ISIL is becoming weaker.

Q. The city of Mosul is largely inhabited by Sunnis?

A. Yes, right now those who are in Mosul are Sunnis.

Q. Experts worry about the fate of those Sunni Iraqis and whether Shia militias will go after them if and when the city is liberated.

A. The agreement is that the Shia militants will not go into the city. So far they have not gone into the city. The Iraqi army and the federal police are there.

Q. If Mosul falls, is that the end of ISIL in Iraq?

A. It is an illusion if there are people who think the fall of Mosul means the end of ISIL. We saw ISIL become the replacement of al-Qaeda. Some organization will come to replace ISIL. ISIL itself will resort to other techniques: clandestine operations, terrorist operations.

Q. President-elect Trump has said he is going to crush ISIL. How do you see the president-elect?

A. I can say that we are ready to cooperate with him and work with him in order to crush ISIL. It is not an easy task, but we will be with him to achieve this mission.

Q. Is it possible?

A. It is not only a military war. It is about the ideology. It is about social and economic and cultural aspects. It is a multifaceted war, and it needs a collective effort with American leadership.

Q. Do you welcome the election of Donald Trump? Do you see him as a strong U.S. leader?

A. We wish him success. Certainly this is the will of the American people. It is their business.

Q. Do you want a continuing U.S. military presence in Kurdistan?

A. We welcome that because that would assist us in order not to allow terrorism to grow.

Q. Are you worried that once Mosul falls, the U.S. will withdraw?

A. I hope that the United States will not repeat that mistake. I told the military commanders who were on the ground in 2010 and 2011 that if the U.S. forces withdrew from Iraq, it would give an opportunity for terrorism to grow. . . . Had a limited number of American troops stayed, ISIL would not have been able to take over Ramadi or Mosul.

Q. How strong is Iran in Kurdistan?

A. Iran has relations with the Kurdistan Regional Government, with the political parties in and outside the government.

Q. Will Iran be left with a lot of influence in Iraq?

A. It is the reality. Iran [already] has more influence than anybody in Iraq.

Q. Was that the result of the U.S.-led war to overthrow Saddam Hussein?

A. Unfortunately, many mistakes were made. In fact, sometimes people argue in the United States that the decision to go to war in Iraq to remove Saddam Hussein's regime from power was the wrong decision. No, in fact, it was the best and most humanitarian decision. But two mistakes complicated the invasion of Iraq. First, the U.S.-led coalition did not allow the outcome of the London conference of December 2002, when the then-opposition had agreed on the way to lead the country. Then American forces turned themselves from a liberation force to an occupation force.

Q. You have been working quite closely with Turkey and exporting oil through Turkey?

A. Yes, that is true, and we still will.

Q. The central government of Iraq does not like this.

A. It's not right for Baghdad to complain and criticize when Baghdad decided unlawfully and unconstitutionally to cut our budget. This is when we decided to export our oil. Before they cut our budget, we had not exported any oil to Turkey.

Q. Since Turkey is bombing the Syrian Kurds, does this put you in an awkward position?

A. No, the two issues are not related.

Q. There are rumors that your dream is to have an independent Kurdistan, an independent Kurdish state. Will you declare independence?

A. It is neither a rumor nor a dream. It is a reality that will come true. We will do everything in order to accomplish this objective, but peacefully and without violence.

Q. How long will that take?

A. We will do our best to achieve that objective as early as possible. Because the time has come. Now is the time for practical steps. There are around 6 million Kurds living in what we call "Kurdistan," not "northern Iraq." I was just a high school student when the Kurdish revolution started in 1961.

Q. And your father, Mustafa Barzani, was one of the most famous Kurdish leaders?

A. He was leading the Kurdish liberation movement. I joined the peshmerga forces when I was 16 years old. From then until now I have been a peshmerga. There are no villages or mountains or valleys I have not gone through. All my efforts from Day One have been to establish a Kurdish state. The day it is declared, I will not be interested in any [political] position because that goal will have been achieved.

Q. How do you see the situation in Syria with ISIL?

A. It is not clear who is a friend and who is a foe. The international coalition is not united in Syria. The opposition is not united. It is so confusing that I personally do not understand what is going on. What seems clear is there may be a deal between Washington and Moscow.

Q. What do you think of the Russian role, which seems to be so strong in the Middle East?

A. Russia knew how to play its hand, it knew what it wanted and was very clear from the outset what to do in Syria. It had a clear understanding, a clear vision. They had their own interests and objectives.

Q. It wanted to dominate the area?

A. I don't think they wanted to dominate all of Syria but part of Syria that was of interest to them. And they very successfully defended and protected it.

Q. Do you feel the U.S. should have been stronger?

A. I believe the American position on Syria was not clear, and it was not strong.

Q. Did that send a signal to the Russians?

A. Of course.
https://www.stripes.com/news/middle-east/iraqi-kurdish-president-independent-kurdistan-is-neither-a-rumor-nor-a-dream-1.450164

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, SgtFuryUSCZ said:

JC... say you have an oatmeal cookie...

and someone else has a chocolate chip cookie...

You'd each like a taste of the other's cookie...

that someone else wants 1/2 your cookie, but is only willing to give you 1/4 of his cookie...

and says it's because your smaller and he's bigger.

not fair.

wait ... you gals have the cookies????

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, SnowGlobe7 said:

wait ... you gals have the cookies????

How could you miss that whole troop of Girl Scouts run down by a gang of white-hairs on scooters...?

Oh, the humanity!....:facepalm3:..... the cookie-carnage ! :facepalm2:

Call the chick with the bees... we need milk with these..... :P

Edited by SgtFuryUSCZ
  • Upvote 1

Nice question and answer sesion with Barzani.

Here are a couple answers that stand out.

Had a limited number of American troops stayed, ISIL would not have been able to take over Ramadi or Mosul.

Baghdad decided unlawfully and unconstitutionally to cut our budget. This is when we decided to export our oil. Before they cut our budget, we had not exported any oil to Turkey.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, SnowGlobe7 said:

again.....then Trump finishes his first visit with the Kurds...they will gladly sign whatever Bagdad wants them to.

Go Trump

Trump will set you free, But will not pick up the tab....The hand out is now a hand up.. the way it should be...

• Upvote 3

Ya know Kurds, Independence being what it is, what y'all gonna do about a " Kurdish Currency ?" - something to consider, seeing as there's been no mention of it with all your Blather & your Whining. But I'm sure you've dotted all your I's and crossed all your T's in this matter. Right ?  

You go Kurds - :twothumbs:

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, 10 YEARS LATER said:

Ya know Kurds, Independence being what it is, what y'all gonna do about a " Kurdish Currency ?" - something to consider, seeing as there's been no mention of it with all your Blather & your Whining. But I'm sure you've dotted all your I's and crossed all your T's in this matter. Right ?  

You go Kurds - :twothumbs:

10 Years, I thought it was going to be like a State not a country. Same currency.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, WISKY291 said:

10 Years, I thought it was going to be like a State not a country. Same currency.

Perhaps my assessment was in error - I was under the impression the Kurds wanted total autonomy ( a state unto themselves ) - not locked in to Iraq in any way shape or form. If I am incorrect, I stand corrected.

My question is, how can you have total Independence from Iraq and yet still be tied to their hip ?

We shall see :confused2:

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, 10 YEARS LATER said:

Perhaps my assessment was in error - I was under the impression the Kurds wanted total autonomy ( a state unto themselves ) - not locked in to Iraq in any way shape or form. If I am incorrect, I stand corrected.

My question is, how can you have total Independence from Iraq and yet still be tied to their hip ?

We shall see :confused2:

I'm not sure my self. I read something along time ago about how it was going to be like a state. I also could be way off. I guess we will see.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, WISKY291 said:

I'm not sure my self. I read something along time ago about how it was going to be like a state. I also could be way off. I guess we will see.

I guess WISKY we'll have to see how this plays out . . . . it's just like these folks to throw articles with opposing, even like minded, in all direction to muddy the waters so no one has any idea about what's really going on. The M.E. is a silly place ! 

• Upvote 1

LMAO!!!! The title to this article is so funny. We have a bunch of crooks from the north bringing independence files to give to the crooks in the south....I've been saying this for years about the Kurds an their saber rattling of independence, until they vote some of these crooks (Barzani family) out of power a HCL is nearly impossible. 

As far as the files for independence, they can use that for toilet paper to. Even a dumb ole American knows there's a process for independence (succession). Taking a handful of papers to Baghdad is not part of it. Kurdistan has to be recognized by the UN Security Council an voted on to be a member. If one of the 5 permenant members votes no, the process is stopped. 

You folks think the rulers (Barzani family) of Kurdistan are dumber than some guy on a Dinar forum. I think not, I'm betting all these files their bringing are nothing more than more loan request or invitations to a big party the Kurds are planning. 

I agree with some of the comments in this thread about the Peshmerga army being the best, they just have corruption in their government. With Iraq cutting oil production an the price of oil has a resistance at about $55.00 how will the Kurds pay for everything without the 17% they get from the GOI. Just my opinion of course.

• Upvote 2

What does it mean to be an independent country?
Independence is a condition of a nation, country, or state in which its residents and population, or some portion thereof, exercise self-government, and usually sovereignty, over the territory. The opposite of independence is a dependent territory. Independence does not necessarily mean freedom.

What does it take to become a sovereign state?

The state as a person of international law should possess the following qualifications: (a) a permanent population; (b) a defined territory; (c) government; and (d) capacity to enter into relations with the other states.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, DoD said:

As far as the files for independence

What does it take for a country to become independent?

How is it possible for an entity to separate from its “parent” country and become sovereign in its own right?

There are two ways in which a country could become independent:

The first is with the consent of its parent country, that is when the government of the sovereign state which it belongs to allows it to secede, either through agreement between the central government and actors from the part of the country which wants to become independent, such as regional governments or even revolutionary groups, or through a democratic referendum where the population of that region is allowed to express its view.

• A good example is India and Pakistan, which were both allowed to become independent from the British Empire following an agreement signed by the UK and several actors from the respective regions in 1947. There was no vote on this matter and was completely authorised by the British government. It’s worth noting that both countries spent years fighting for their independence years previous to this agreement.
  • The 2014 Scottish independence referendum is an example of a democratic vote being held on the issue of succession following an agreement between the UK Government and Scottish Government, known as the Edinburgh Agreement which allowed for the referendum to take place. This vote was rejected but, if it had been in favour of independence, Scotland would have separated from the UK with the consent of the UK itself.

The second is without the consent of its parent country, where the authority of the parent country is ignored and the region in question becomes independent. This is often disputed by the government of the parent country. This is commonly known as a unilateral declaration of independence (UDI), where it is the region that declares its own independence without the correct authorisation. This could occur if the regional government, or actors within it such as revolutionary groups, declare it on their own or via an unauthorised referendum put to the population. The status of this independent country will then be disputed by its former parent country, often at the international level, and could even cause long lasting bloody wars.

• One of the most famous examples of UDI is the secession of the United States of America from the British Empire in 1776. There was no vote on the matter and was simply the subject of popular revolution among the American people. You can find numerous examples throughout history of colonies breaking away from their sovereign states, most often regarding the British, French, German and Dutch empires.
  • Examples of unauthorised referenda being held, and then subsequent independence, was the breakup of the Soviet Union, where several of its republics held their own votes - without the consent of Moscow - to become independent states. A similar situation occurred in the former Yugoslavia. The situation with Crimea in 2014 is also worth checking out, even though they unilaterally seceded from Ukraine to join Russia.

These are generally the approaches in which a country could become independent but there are obviously unique situations as well, where regions seeking independence may have been in perpetual civil war with their parent governments and then came to an agreement (i.e Ireland, Angola), or through the effects of war, either via liberation, domination or partition, or through international agreements on the status of certain regions (i.e Poland, West Germany, East Germany).

Each situation is different for each country but these are the general routes.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Lorre said:

Kurdish president: Independent Kurdistan is ‘neither a rumor nor a dream’

If the ongoing battle to liberate Mosul, once Iraq’s second-largest city, from the Islamic State succeeds, it will be an important turning point in the war against the fundamentalist movement, also called ISIL. One of the key players in this battle is the leader of the autonomous Kurdistan region of northern Iraq, Masoud Barzani, whose peshmerga troops are fighting alongside Iraqi forces. Barzani spoke to The Washington Post’s Lally Weymouth in Davos, Switzerland, this past week at the World Economic Forum. Edited excerpts follow.
Q. What would you like from the new Trump administration in Washington?
A. As far as Kurdistan, I expect that they will continue supporting us.

Q. Do you mean by giving your troops heavy weapons? What kind of support do you envision?
A. Both military and political support.
Q. What kind of military support?
A. Whatever a military fighter on the front line needs, in addition to training and capacity-building. So far, tanks and artillery have not been provided, but we really need them.
Q. Right now you have U.S. air support and air strikes.
A. Yes, good air support and air cover, which has been very helpful.
Q. And training.
A. Yes, that is true.
Q. And intelligence cooperation.
A. Intelligence cooperation is continuing between our agencies and the U.S.

Q. How long is it going to take to liberate Mosul?
A. The first 100-kilometer-long defensive lines of ISIL were attacked by peshmerga forces in October of last year. . . . Then the Iraqi troops moved toward Mosul. The Iraqi army did a good job: It is a tough fight; it is bloody. . . . In a few days, the eastern part will be finished. But what remains will be the western part of the city. . . . It is difficult to estimate when the mission will be over, but militarily, ISIL is becoming weaker.
Q. The city of Mosul is largely inhabited by Sunnis?
A. Yes, right now those who are in Mosul are Sunnis.
Q. Experts worry about the fate of those Sunni Iraqis and whether Shia militias will go after them if and when the city is liberated.
A. The agreement is that the Shia militants will not go into the city. So far they have not gone into the city. The Iraqi army and the federal police are there.
Q. If Mosul falls, is that the end of ISIL in Iraq?
A. It is an illusion if there are people who think the fall of Mosul means the end of ISIL. We saw ISIL become the replacement of al-Qaeda. Some organization will come to replace ISIL. ISIL itself will resort to other techniques: clandestine operations, terrorist operations.
Q. President-elect Trump has said he is going to crush ISIL. How do you see him?
A. I can say that we are ready to cooperate with him and work with him in order to crush ISIL. It is not an easy task, but we will be with him to achieve this mission.
Q. Is it possible?
A. It is not only a military war. It is about the ideology. It is about social and economic and cultural aspects. It is a multifaceted war, and it needs a collective effort with American leadership.
Q. Do you welcome the election of Donald Trump? Do you see him as a strong U.S. leader?
A. We wish him success. Certainly this is the will of the American people. It is their business.
Q. Do you want a continuing U.S. military presence in Kurdistan?
A. We welcome that because that would assist us in order not to allow terrorism to grow.

Q. Are you worried that once Mosul falls, the U.S. will withdraw?
A. I hope that the United States will not repeat that mistake. I told the military commanders who were on the ground in 2010 and 2011 that if the U.S. forces withdrew from Iraq, it would give an opportunity for terrorism to grow. . . . Had a limited number of American troops stayed, ISIL would not have been able to take over Ramadi or Mosul.
Q. How strong is Iran in Kurdistan?
A. Iran has relations with the Kurdistan Regional Government, with the political parties in and outside the government.
Q. Will Iran be left with a lot of influence in Iraq?
A. It is the reality. Iran [already] has more influence than anybody in Iraq.
Q. Was that the result of the U.S.-led war to overthrow Saddam Hussein?
A. Unfortunately, many mistakes were made. In fact, sometimes people argue in the United States that the decision to go to war in Iraq to remove Saddam Hussein’s regime from power was the wrong decision. No, in fact, it was the best and most humanitarian decision. But two mistakes complicated the invasion of Iraq. First, the U.S.-led coalition did not allow the outcome of the London conference of December 2002, when the then-opposition had agreed on the way to lead the country. Then American forces turned themselves from a liberation force to an occupation force.
Q. You have been working quite closely with Turkey and exporting oil through Turkey?
A. Yes, that is true, and we still will.
Q. The central government of Iraq does not like this.
A. It’s not right for Baghdad to complain and criticize when Baghdad decided unlawfully and unconstitutionally to cut our budget. This is when we decided to export our oil. Before they cut our budget, we had not exported any oil to Turkey.
Q. Since Turkey is bombing the Syrian Kurds, does this put you in an awkward position?
A. No, the two issues are not related.
Q. There are rumors that your dream is to have an independent Kurdistan, an independent Kurdish state. Will you declare independence?
A. It is neither a rumor nor a dream. It is a reality that will come true. We will do everything in order to accomplish this objective, but peacefully and without violence.
Q. How long will that take?
A. We will do our best to achieve that objective as early as possible. Because the time has come. Now is the time for practical steps. There are around 6 million Kurds living in what we call “Kurdistan,” not “northern Iraq.” I was just a high school student when the Kurdish revolution started in 1961.
Q. And your father, Mustafa Barzani, was one of the most famous Kurdish leaders?
A. He was leading the Kurdish liberation movement. I joined the peshmerga forces when I was 16 years old. From then until now I have been a peshmerga. There are no villages or mountains or valleys I have not gone through. All my efforts from Day One have been to establish a Kurdish state. The day it is declared, I will not be interested in any [political] position because that goal will have been achieved.

Q. How do you see the situation in Syria with ISIL?
A. It is not clear who is a friend and who is a foe. The international coalition is not united in Syria. The opposition is not united. It is so confusing that I personally do not understand what is going on. What seems clear is there may be a deal between Washington and Moscow.
Q. What do you think of the Russian role, which seems to be so strong in the Middle East?
A. Russia knew how to play its hand, it knew what it wanted and was very clear from the outset what to do in Syria. It had a clear understanding, a clear vision. They had their own interests and objectives.
Q. It wanted to dominate the area?
A. I don’t think they wanted to dominate all of Syria but part of Syria that was of interest to them. And they very successfully defended and protected it.
Q. Do you feel the U.S. should have been stronger?
A. I believe the American position on Syria was not clear, and it was not strong.
Q. Did that send a signal to the Russians?
A. Of course.

Thank you.

• Upvote 1