Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Parliamentary Energy intends to review the oil agreement between Baghdad and Erbil

SocalDinar

Exclusive - U.S. helped clinch Iraq oil deal to keep Mosul battle on track

Mon Oct 3, 2016 11:50am GMT

Members of the Shi'ite Badr Organisation undergo training before the upcoming battle to recapture Mosul in Diyala province, Iraq September 27, 2016.  REUTERS/Stringer
1 of 1Full Size

By Stephen Kalin and Dmitry Zhdannikov

BAGHDAD/LONDON (Reuters) - - Shuttle diplomacy by the United States' envoy to the anti-Islamic State coalition brokered an oil deal between Iraq and its Kurdish region vital to a climactic battle with the jihadists, diplomats, officials and oil men say. 

The oil revenue-sharing deal sealed in August was critical to getting the central and regional governments to coordinate planning for a push on the Islamic State stronghold Mosul, which Kurdish peshmerga forces surround on three sides, as soon as this month, the sources said.

Brett McGurk shuttled from Iraqi Kurdistan capital Erbil to Baghdad and back again from the first half of April, culminating in a June 19 meeting in Erbil with Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) leader Massoud Barzani and Iraqi National Security Advisor Falah Fayad.

Barzani "met McGurk and said, 'We cannot afford Mosul. We need oil and revenues back," said a high level source close to the Kurds. "If it wasn't for McGurk, this deal would have never happened."

The Kurdish region is home to Iraq's major northern oilfields but a quarrel over who benefits from export revenues has become a prolonged, tangled and emotive dispute.

In early 2014 Baghdad slashed funds to the KRG, which then began exporting oil independently via a pipeline to the Turkish port of Ceyhan.

In March Iraq's state-run North Oil Company (NOC) stopped pumping crude through the pipeline from fields it operates in Kirkuk, which the KRG has controlled since Iraqi security forces disintegrated two years ago when Islamic State overran a third of the country.

The move cut Kurdish oil revenues by around a quarter, worsening the budget crisis in Erbil amid low oil prices and the fight against the jihadists. 

Iraq and the U.S.-led military coalition backing it are relying on cooperation from the Kurds to retake Mosul from the ultra-hardline jihadists and undermine their self-proclaimed caliphate.

For Washington, defeating Islamic state has been one of the major foreign policy objectives under the second term of president Barack Obama, who will step down as president in January. 

The deal to restore the flows of Kirkuk crude progressed in August, when public statements show McGurk visited Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi in Baghdad on Aug. 11 and two days later met again with Barzani and Fayad in Erbil.

According to sources in Erbil, the KRG told McGurk and Baghdad they had lost around $1 billion dollars in revenues since March as the Kirkuk field was reinjecting around 150,000 barrels per day (bpd) back under the ground instead of exporting it with other Kurdish production of around 450,000 bpd to world markets via Turkey. 

That pushed all sides to iron out a final agreement that was announced following an Aug. 29 meeting in Baghdad between Abadi, McGurk and Barzani.

INTENSE LOBBYING

Under the agreement, up to 150,000 bpd of oil are being exported through Ceyhan as a 50/50 split between the KRG and Baghdad.

It also averted deeper division in Kurdistan itself. Local authorities governing Kirkuk from the city of Sulaimaniyah were asking to ship oil to Iran instead of Turkey, which the governments in Erbil, Baghdad and Washington rejected. 

The breakthrough helped start a separate conversation about the disposition of forces for the push on Mosul and the disputed internal boundaries between central Iraq and the Kurdistan region, said a senior Western diplomat in Baghdad.

"Take that sand out of the gears and turn the oil into oil in the gears ... and then they can have those other conversations about who's going where" on the battlefield, said the diplomat, who declined to be identified speaking about private discussions.

Since the Kirkuk oil deal was sealed, the Kurds have pledged in private to keep the peshmerga out of Mosul proper while allowing the Iraqis to use territory they currently control around the city to stage troops for the offensive, senior Western diplomats told Reuters, allowing war planning to accelerate.

The military now looks set to push into Mosul by the end of October, which looked improbable just a few months ago. Kurdish leader Barzani visited Baghdad last week for the first time in more than three years, a sign of improving relations.

A lawyer by training, McGurk has been involved in some of Iraq's thorniest disputes since a U.S.-led invasion toppled Saddam Hussein in 2003. As an adviser to the occupation authorities, he helped draft an interim constitution and oversee the legal transition to an interim Iraqi government.

He advocated the U.S. troop "surge" that is partially credited with stemming Iraq's sectarian violence from its 2006-2007 heights. When Islamic State swept through a third of the country in mid-2014, he played a leading role in bringing Prime Minister Abadi into office to address the threat.

McGurk, who could not be reached for comment, has been sprinting around the world for the past year to implement the Obama administration's policy to defeat the jihadists, which includes holding together an Iraq that some observers say is more divided than ever.

A spokeswoman for the U.S. embassy in Baghdad, asked about the oil deal, said: "We give the Iraqi government all of the credit on the agreement."

Asked about the matter it last month during a trip to Baghdad, U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Tony Blinken said he was "encouraged by the efforts that have been made in recent weeks." He subsequently visited Erbil.

A spokesman for Abadi said the United States and the international community had played "an undeniable role" in encouraging dialogue between Baghdad and Erbil on Kirkuk exports, which built up confidence and helped advance other issues. A KRG spokesman did not respond to requests for comment.

http://af.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idAFKCN12315G?feedType=RSS&feedName=worldNews&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+reuters%2FAFRICAWorldNews+(News+%2F+AFRICA+%2F+World+News)&rpc=401&pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=0&sp=true

• Upvote 10

2 hours ago, markb57 said:

ok, admittedly, I skimmed the above doc but is it saying that the HCL was passed in August but kept quiet to keep the battle for Mosul going?

I'd like to think so, but no on the HCL. This is just a Band-Aid fix to get Kurds some money, make Baghdad a little happy with more oil income, and more baby steps towards Mosul. They have made agreements many times before that have fallen apart. When the HCL is finally passed, you'll see fireworks and huge announcements.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 6

:wub::wub::wub:I strongly dissagree King Bean. Reading this report in light of all the Articles over the last year concerning oil meetings and agreements seems to tie everything that we have heard and read together in a nice flowing stream.

We have read many articles telling us that the hydrocarbon law was passed as far back as 2004. But that there were issues which needed to be addressed. This report seems to show us a process whereby those issues have apparently been dealt with. Something in my intuition tells me that this is not like all the other supposed agreements that we have read about, rather that the matter has been solved. Whether my intuition is correct or you are correct one thing I can assure you we will not be seeing and HCL enacted passed or come to light with the fireworks display that you described. 4 to do so what cause a run on Iraqi currency the likes of which no one could imagine.:wub::wub::wub:

• Upvote 13

LGD, you just might be spot on about the HCL. However, I think to limit the number of people and the amount of dinar being purchased Iraq is going to have to make sure the rate they open with is moderately higher than we expect (suspect). Because once word gets out and it will be an announcement and shock to the world, investors will come out of the woodworks. Float or no float. It's going to cause a major ruckus. Just my

€ 00.02 ( 2 Euro cents) 

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

:wub::wub::wub:I strongly dissagree King Bean. Reading this report in light of all the Articles over the last year concerning oil meetings and agreements seems to tie everything that we have heard and read together in a nice flowing stream.

We have read many articles telling us that the hydrocarbon law was passed as far back as 2004. But that there were issues which needed to be addressed. This report seems to show us a process whereby those issues have apparently been dealt with. Something in my intuition tells me that this is not like all the other supposed agreements that we have read about, rather that the matter has been solved. Whether my intuition is correct or you are correct one thing I can assure you we will not be seeing and HCL enacted passed or come to light with the fireworks display that you described. 4 to do so what cause a run on Iraqi currency the likes of which no one could imagine.:wub::wub::wub:

Point (s) well made ! 

Especially considering the announcement of the HCL passed, would definitely cause a run on the IQD.

• Upvote 5

21 minutes ago, markb57 said:

if they're quiet internally and just opened the new rate at the start of the business day, there'd be no run

I couldn't agree more . . . however, after 13 years seeing how sideways the folks get with things; what we would look at as very straight forward procedures, it's difficult to imagine them doing what you suggest. I'd like nothing more than to have them prove me wrong.

Edited by 10 YEARS LATER
  • Upvote 5

3 hours ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

LGD - I totally agree.  I think there has been more going on this time than we have seen and everything is very low key.  Of course that is my 2 cents and that another 2.48 will buy you a latte :)

• Upvote 5

45 minutes ago, funinsun said:

LGD - I totally agree.  I think there has been more going on this time than we have seen and everything is very low key.  Of course that is my 2 cents and that another 2.48 will buy you a latte :)

:wub::lmao: $2.50 latte :lmao: Ya sure ain't going to Starbucks :wub:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 4

Parliamentary Finance reveal for "tomorrow Press" for a new oil deal between Kurdistan and Baghdad 's US - sponsored  04/10/2016 12:36 BAGHDAD / tomorrow Press: Parliamentary Finance Committee unveiled on Tuesday a new oil deal between the government of the Kurdistan region and Baghdad under the auspices of the United States, noting that the agreement will be included within the next year's draft budget. A member of the Committee, Masood Haider, for "tomorrow's Press," that "there is a new oil between Kurdistan and Baghdad's US-sponsored agreement, drafted to be included as part of the general budget of the Federal Law of 2017 in the coming days."  He added, "The House of Representatives awaiting details of the agreement by the government for announcing later on public opinion," explaining that "the government will formulate the texts of the new agreement in the draft of the budget bill, to be then later sent to the Parliament and to the parliamentary finance committee to present officially in future meetings. "  He explained that "the arrival of the budget bill to the parliament will not be delayed too much about the roof on 10.10 this month, has more than two days or less," noting that "Parliament will brief on the text of the new oil agreement in presenting the draft budget to debate the law."

• Upvote 15

"Any day now, you will hear me say goodbye my love, and you'll be on your way" (I hear Ronnie Millsap singING as I imagine that this is what I'll say to financial difficulties)

But you know, there are really only TWO  money problems:  1. Not enough.  2. Too much.  I know about number one. I think I'd like to try number two now.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 15

1 hour ago, yota691 said:

Parliamentary Finance reveal for "tomorrow Press" for a new oil deal between Kurdistan and Baghdad 's US - sponsored  04/10/2016 12:36 BAGHDAD / tomorrow Press: Parliamentary Finance Committee unveiled on Tuesday a new oil deal between the government of the Kurdistan region and Baghdad under the auspices of the United States, noting that the agreement will be included within the next year's draft budget. A member of the Committee, Masood Haider, for "tomorrow's Press," that "there is a new oil between Kurdistan and Baghdad's US-sponsored agreement, drafted to be included as part of the general budget of the Federal Law of 2017 in the coming days."  He added, "The House of Representatives awaiting details of the agreement by the government for announcing later on public opinion," explaining that "the government will formulate the texts of the new agreement in the draft of the budget bill, to be then later sent to the Parliament and to the parliamentary finance committee to present officially in future meetings. "  He explained that "the arrival of the budget bill to the parliament will not be delayed too much about the roof on 10.10 this month, has more than two days or less," noting that "Parliament will brief on the text of the new oil agreement in presenting the draft budget to debate the law."

so, by mid month, we should have a new rate if this is voted on. If it gets voted on and passes and there's no rate change, it may mean that the HCL has nothing to do with the rate. Hopefully, this will all happen and we'll be laughing all the way to the bank before 11/1.

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, olivesman said:

"Any day now, you will hear me say goodbye my love, and you'll be on your way" (I hear Ronnie Millsap singING as I imagine that this is what I'll say to financial difficulties)

But you know, there are really only TWO  money problems:  1. Not enough.  2. Too much.  I know about number one. I think I'd like to try number two now.

Yes, ME TOO, I also want to try number two!!  PRAYING olivesman!!

:bravo::praying::backflip:

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, olivesman said:

:wub:Had both problems and the ONLY difference between the two is how many people hang around:wub:

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 8

• yota691 featured and pinned this topic
05/10/2016 (00:01 pm)   -   the number of readings: 206   -   thenumber (3751)

Closer US mediation between Baghdad and Erbil, leading to the conclusion of a new oil agreement

 BAGHDAD / Reuters 

Diplomats, officials and experts in the oil sector said that shuttle diplomacy carried out by Brett Mcgork, President of the International Alliance envoy against Daesh, led to the conclusion of an oil agreement between Iraq and the Kurdistan region has importance in the decisive battle waiting with al Daesh.
The sources said that the agreement on the division of revenues concluded oil in August is vitally important to carry the central government and the government of the region to coordinate planning for the attack on the stronghold of the organization in Mosul blockaded by Kurdish Peshmerga forces from three sides. 
the movement of Brett Mcgork back and forth between Arbil , capital of Iraqi Kurdistan region and the Iraqi capital Baghdad starting from half the first of April and reached his tours culminated in a meeting held in Erbil on June 19 with Massoud Barzani , president of the Kurdistan Regional Government and Faleh al - Fayad ,Iraq 's national security adviser. 
a senior source with close ties to the Kurds that Barzani "met Mcgork he can not appreciate the Mosul. we need oil and revenue. Without the Mcgork Since this deal at all. " 
It is located near the Kurdistan region of a number of major oil fields in northern Iraq it is that unlike export revenues protracted and became a dispute entangled. 
in early 2014 reduced Baghdad allocated to the Kurdistan region , which began at the time the money export oil independently through a pipeline to the Turkish port of Ceyhan. 
in March oil company stopped north of the state in Iraq, for pumping crude oil through the line of fields operated in Kirkuk, and were under the control of the Kurdistan Regional Government since the collapse of the Iraqi forces two years ago when Daesh organize swept a third of the area of Iraq. 
The move reduced oil revenues for about a quarter of the Kurdish region , which has increased the budget crisis amid lower oil prices and clashes with Daesh. Iraq relies, the military coalition led by the United States, the Kurds cooperation in the recovery of Mosul Daesh and eliminate the "Caliphate State" announced by. 
For Washington, the defeat Daesh of the main objectives of its foreign policy in the second term of President Barack Obama 's rule , which would leave the post of president January next year. 
progress has been made in the month of August towards the agreement aimed to restore the flow of oil from the Kirkuk fields where public statements show that Mcgork visited Prime Minister Haider al - Abadi in Baghdad on August 11 , two days after he met with Nechirvan Barzani and Faleh al - Fayad in Erbil. 
According to sources in Arbil the Kurdistan Regional Government informed Mcgork and Baghdad , it lost revenues of about one billion dollars since March, as the Kirkuk field was re - pumping about 150 thousand barrels per day in the ground rather than exported to the rest of the production of the Kurdistan region of about 450 thousand barrels a day to world markets through Turkey. this 
has prompted both parties to reach a final agreement was announced in the wake of a meeting held on August 29 in Baghdad between Abadi Mcgork and Nechirvan Barzani. 
under the agreement , is exported up to 150 thousand barrels per day of crude oil through the Turkish port ofCeyhan on the sharing Regional Government Kurdistan and Baghdad revenue equally. this 
led to the largest avoid a split in the same Kurdistan region. Local authorities that Kirkuk controllers demanding ship oil to Iran rather than ship it to Turkey was which was rejected by the Governments of Erbil and Baghdad, as well as Washington. 
He said a senior Western diplomat in Baghdad said a breakthrough attitude contributed to the start of aseparate dialogue on troop arrangements for the battle of Mosul and disputed internal boundaries between the central government and Kurdish. 
, said a senior Western diplomat told Reuters that since the conclusion of Kirkuk agreement Kurds vowed on an informal basis to keep the Peshmerga forces outside the city of Mosul itself to allowing Iraqis to using land they control are in the present time around the city to prepare troops for the attack which allowed to accelerate planning for a battle. It 
now appears that the Iraqi army would start crawling on the Mosul by the end of October , something that would have been inconceivable a few months ago. Barzani visited Baghdad last week for the first time in more than three years in a sign of improving relations. 
But Mcgork who studied the role of the law in some of the most difficult conflicts in Iraq since the invasion led by the United States toppled Saddam Hussein in 2003 until now. Has helped as a consultant to the occupation authorities in the drafting of an interim constitution and oversee the transition of power to an interim Iraqi government. 
The club Mcgork increasing numbers of American troops, a policy that credited in part to stop the sectarian violence that peaked in Iraq in 2006 and 2007. 
When swept organization Daesh third of Iraqi territory in the middle of 2014 , played a key role in thepayment Prime Minister al - Abadi to power to tackle this threat. 
a spokeswoman for the US embassy in Baghdad in response to a question about the oil accord "We attribute the Iraqi government , all the credit in this agreement." 
Tony Blinken asked US Vice Foreign Minister during a visit last month to Baghdad in this matter , he said he was optimistic the efforts made in recent weeks. 
a spokesman for al - Abadi said the United States and the international community played a "role can not be denied" in promoting dialogue between Baghdad and Erbil regarding exports of Kirkuk. Which raised the level of confidence and contributed to progress on other issues. A spokesman for the Kurdistan Regional Government did not respond to requests for comment.

• Upvote 7

• yota691 changed the title to Parliamentary Energy intends to review the oil agreement between Baghdad and Erbil
  • yota691 featured this topic
  • yota691 pinned this topic
  • Adam Montana locked this topic
  • yota691 unpinned this topic