Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Differences Maliki and al-Sadr disrupted the work of the Government of Basra

yota691

6 minutes ago, Synopsis said:

Hey, Bro, pretty sure relief is on the way.  My opinion is most of the Iraqis have been impacted negatively in some way by Maliki and see a huge improvement with optimistic future outcomes of what Abadi, Jabouri, and Musam is doing.  The corruption prosecution machine will likely over take Maliki and associates' corruption machine fairly soon after Mosul is taken since the ISIS incursion was mostly Maliki and associates' doing to begin with.  The crimes against humanity have been extreme and prolific.  I can't imagine the Iraqis or the rest of the world will let the culpable of these crimes escape prosecution.

Possibly, the full extent of the sentiment against Maliki and associates has not been published in the major news articles since Maliki and associates likely owns on substantially controls these news outlets.  News published like this is encouraging since people are speaking out with a lower likelihood of being negatively impacted by the Maliki intimidation machine.  As Maliki loses influence, many more articles may start publishing more and worse bad news of Maliki's crimes.

Good for the Iraqis and us.

By the way, top of the morning to you and your favorite Tim's atcha!

:twothumbs:

Thanks brother for subduing my rage against this scumbag and I do agree with you, his days are being counted as we speak and now it's just a matter of time before he meets his justice. :tiphat:

Oh ya, I'm on my second cup,  and a fresh batch of Tims in the cupboard, thanks to my family from Canada visiting for the holidays. A super day back at ya my friend and I'm really stoked at what's taking place right now, we are getting closer :mexican:

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Wiljor said:

Thanks brother for subduing my rage against this scumbag and I do agree with you, his days are being counted as we speak and now it's just a matter of time before he meets his justice. :tiphat:

Oh ya, I'm on my second cup,  and a fresh batch of Tims in the cupboard, thanks to my family from Canada visiting for the holidays. A super day back at ya my friend and I'm really stoked at what's taking place right now, we are getting closer :mexican:

:twothumbs:        :undocumented:

Oh yeah, looks like some friends are going to show up soon with some more Tim's!!!!

:o

• Upvote 1

Thanks Synopsis and SnowGlobe7, 

here is the official Tim Hortons break down and I apologize for diverting this thread  :lol:

Tim Hortons Inc. (known internationally as Tim Hortons Cafe and Bake Shop) is a multinational fast food restaurant based in Canada, known for its coffee and doughnuts. It is also Canada's largest quick service restaurant chain; as of September 30, 2016, it had a total of 4,492 restaurants in nine countries.[3][5][6][7]

It was founded in 1964 in Hamilton, Ontario, by Canadian hockey player Tim Horton and Jim Charade, after an initial venture in hamburger restaurants.[8][9] In 1967, Horton partnered with investor Ron Joyce, who assumed control over operations after Horton died in 1974. Joyce expanded the chain into a multimillion-dollar franchise. Charade left the organization in 1966 and briefly returned in 1970 and 1993 through 1996.

On August 26, 2014, Burger King agreed to purchase Tim Hortons for US$11.4 billion; the chain became a subsidiary of the Oakville-based holding company Restaurant Brands International on December 15, 2014, which is majority-owned by Brazilian investment firm 3G Capital.

• Upvote 1

Differences Maliki and al-Sadr disrupted the work of the Government of Basra

Exacerbated Maliki 's coalition crisis (state law) and the followers of the Sadrist movement in most Iraqi provinces, against the backdrop of the first indictment of a second of being behind the insult - Maliki in Basra and the southern provinces, to take the crisis a new dimension and give birth to divisions in a number of provinces, including Baghdad and Basra, which is currently experiencing disputes and crises hampered the work of local governments.

He said in the Basra Governorate Council for "new Arab" member, said that "the crisis between the two sides take a serious and new dimensions and exacerbated even almost out of control," noting that "al-Sadr's followers have started to work on open governor of Basra Majed Nasraoui (You, one of Maliki's coalition ), to avenge the governor of Baghdad, Ali al-Tamimi (a chest), which accused him of corruption, Maliki's followers. "

He added that "al-Sadr's followers are talking today in every forum about the corruption of the conservative, and the previous files and involvement corruption and multibillion-dollar deals with fake companies," noting that they were "working to gather all of their documents and files condemns conservative, willing to carry out the interrogation and prosecution," He stressed that "in response to the questioning of the governor of Baghdad."

He pointed out that "tossing accusations and charges between the two parties divided the government of Basra into two sections, section with al - Maliki and the department with chest , and that the war of words between them is greatest , " stressing that " the head of the provincial council, Ahmed al - Sulaiti, a coalition of the wise joined al- Sadr 's followers, which Sadr 's followers files provided important and serious to maintain large condemns the corruption. "

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
000_A4003.jpg

If Iraq is to become a stable state then it must overcome sectarianism - but few of the old guard appear to have learnt this lesson

There is perhaps no Iraqi more synonymous with the sectarian turmoil that has plagued Iraq during the past 15 years than Muqtada al-Sadr.

The cleric has been dubbed a "firebrand" in countless newspaper columns, and has held an almost constant presence in the Iraqi political discourse since the fall of the Baath regime in 2003.

Saraya al-Salam, the militias he heads, formerly known as the Mahdi army, were accused of running sectarian death squads and elements from within helped plunge the country into a vicious civil war.

READ: Iraq's post-IS vision runs into trouble

They also boldly took on the forces of the US-led coalition in Sadr city. But now, with half of Mosul liberated and the end of the Islamic State (IS) in Iraq in sight, Sadr appears to be emerging as a voice of reason and coexistence.

In an interview last week with Turkish TV station TRT, Sadr advocated outreach to those who had followed IS in Mosul, and to the disaffected Sunnis across Iraq.

He said: "I'm holding up a light looking for the moderates because they are scared to show up. There are still moderates among the people but they are scared, but we have to give them a chance to show up and give their ideas."

Sunni outreach

This is not the first time Sadr has advocated cross-sectarian action. In 2013 he expressed solidarity with Sunni protests in Anbar province against the Shia-led government, labelling the demonstration's "Iraq's Arab Spring". A year later, in 2014, his parliamentary bloc banded together with Sunnis as part of an effort to oust prime minister Nouri al-Maliki.

Sadr also used the interview to warn against the Shia militias which currently number upwards of 100,000 in Iraq and despite being instrumental in the fight against Islamic State, have the potential to act as spoilers in post-IS Iraq.

Nic6171911_1.jpgMuqtada al-Sadr at joint Sunni-Shia Friday prayers in Baghdad in January 2013 (AFP)

He warned that "there are some governmental, civil and political fears that the armed groups might take over. Whether they are good or bad ones, their policies will be based on weapons." And he urged them to stay out of fights abroad, such as Syria and even Yemen, stating that these interventions had already bought Iraq "many troubles".

Perhaps his most important development has been as a counter to beleaguered Al-Maliki, who has been scheming a return to power in recent months.

In his TRT interview, he described Maliki's mindset as"militant" and suggested he was consistently spoiling for his next fight, saying: "If Mosul was stable, would Maliki sit and do nothing? No, he will come up with another battle. Car bombings, explosions something else, the new ISIS - a new enemy."

Nationalism over the establishment 

There is much personal animosity between Maliki and Sadr - but the latter's public rebukes often stem as much from his staunch nationalism as they do any personal dislike. Maliki, and the militias he is closely connected to – notably the Badr organisation, are the embodiment of Iranian influence in Iraq.

If Iraq is to become a stable and prosperous state after the defeat of IS, then it is a given that sectarianism must be overcome. But few of the country's "old guard" appear to have learnt this lesson after several decades of war and strife.

The cleric is currently pushing a special project which, although light on details, emphasises the need for Iraq to move away from its "party" or "sectarian" mentality of governance towards a technocratic administration.

000_G79F1.jpgSupporters of Muqtada al-Sadr at a protest calling for government reforms in Baghdad in September 2016 (AFP)

He is hoping new faces will emerge from every part of the country to lead it away from the corrupt political establishment – something that is believed to cost the treasury as much as $4bn a year.

But an important question remains: is this merely rhetoric or a genuine attempt at outreach?

Power players in Iraq have a distinguished history of saying what needs to be said to win votes in Iraq.

Michael Knights, a Fellow at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy, believes Sadr's track record demonstrates its authenticity. He suggests "it fits into a long-term pattern that reaches back to 2004 in Fallujah when his men fought alongside the Sunnis."

'Muqtada is not the establishment, but he is an ally of the Shia political and religious mainstream for now, against Maliki'

- Michael Knights, Washington Institute for Near East Policy

Knights also believes that much of the sectarian violence the Mahdi army was involved in, was orchestrated by Iranian-backed elements of the militias such as Qais Khazali who now leads the Asa'ib Ahl al-Haq militia". He adds: "Muqtada is a nationalist, unlike Badr, Kataib Hezbollah and Asaib Ahl al-Haq."

He adds that Sadr holds a unique place in Iraqi politics at the moment: "Muqtada is not the establishment, but he is an ally of the Shia political and religious mainstream for now, against Maliki. He has the street muscle to offset Maliki and the PMU [Popular Mobilisation Units]."

READ: Defeating IS will only usher in new conflicts in Iraq

Recent days have seen Sadr make his trademark fiery statements calling for a ban on Americans in Iraq following Donald Trump's Muslim ban and for a shutdown of the US embassy in Baghdad.

These will likely continue, if for no other reason than to shore up his base in the face of growing Iranian influence in Iraq.

What matters is his outreach - his plan to empower and engage with Sunni moderates could potentially provide the basis for a post-IS Iraq.

- Gareth Browne is a journalist with an interest in current affairs, politics and the Middle East. His work has been featured in VICE, The Daily Mirror and Gulf News. @brownegareth

The views expressed in this article belong to the author and do not necessarily reflect the editorial policy of Middle East Eye.

Photo: Iraqi Shia Muslim cleric Muqtada al-Sadr speaks during a press conference in the holy Shia city of Najaf on 30 April 2016(AFP)

• Upvote 4