Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Help. I seek a 12 pc stainless steel or cast iron, non-aluminum, enameled porcelain interior exterior cookware set.

new york kevin

Ya'll in DV have always pulled through before. I believe you will now. Trying to cook healthy. I seek a 12 piece stainless steel or cast iron cookware set, with enameled porcelain interiors and exteriors. I am done with aluminum based cookware as the aluminum has been shown by scientific studies to leach from the pot or pan and into the food; then into us. Aluminum is a non essential mineral that we do not need in our bodies. Get rid of your 24 hour "anti perspirants " aluminum is in there too. I am demented enough, I don't need the diagnosis of dementia.

I and the Mrs want the whole set in blue or black for the exterior, or at least not red or orange-ish. I guess white or something for the interior. For under $300, way under if possible. I just cannot see spending close to $600 for such a set, particularly in red. An aluminum core, encapsulated in copper or stainless steel/iron is ok, since what research I have found says aluminum encapsulated in these materials prevents the aluminum from leaching into the food. Minimally the interior should be covered in enameled porcelain, and be stainless steel, iron, or copper.

Well, there ya go DV-ers. Thanks for any direction you can provide. Merry Christmas and a Happy New year to you from NYK.

• Upvote 1

NY Kevin...The Mrs. cooks  a lot with two well seasoned iron skillets...that and a handful of stainless pots of various sizes.  We gave up on aluminum (toxic) and glass (brittle) cook wear years ago.  We've had ours so long I couldn't tell ya even where they came from.  As far as cast iron though "Lodge" is one of the best brands.  We have picked up quite a few over the years but our 10" & 12" skillets do the vast bulk of our cooking in the cast iron variety.  You can often get cast iron at thrift store, auctions, even garage sales...but if someone is getting rid of them they didn't know what they had and so it most likely will need proper seasoning.  My wife wouldn't trade hers for anything...just sayin'!!! ;)

• Upvote 2

***///

We find the Army / Navy Stores great for camping cookware... cast iron of all kinds in there, believe it or not.

And yes, the seasoning of it takes time, rubbing oil in, putting in warm oven for hours to "cure"... Worth it, though.

Sometimes Estate & yard sales render an old set already nicely seasoned from decades of use....

We found a cornbread pan from the 40's we still use and it's great !

• Upvote 2

On 12/25/2016 at 6:18 PM, RodandStaff said:

NY Kevin...The Mrs. cooks  a lot with two well seasoned iron skillets...that and a handful of stainless pots of various sizes.  We gave up on aluminum (toxic) and glass (brittle) cook wear years ago.  We've had ours so long I couldn't tell ya even where they came from.  As far as cast iron though "Lodge" is one of the best brands.  We have picked up quite a few over the years but our 10" & 12" skillets do the vast bulk of our cooking in the cast iron variety.  You can often get cast iron at thrift store, auctions, even garage sales...but if someone is getting rid of them they didn't know what they had and so it most likely will need proper seasoning.  My wife wouldn't trade hers for anything...just sayin'!!! ;)

12 hours ago, SgtFuryUSCZ said:

***///

We find the Army / Navy Stores great for camping cookware... cast iron of all kinds in there, believe it or not.

And yes, the seasoning of it takes time, rubbing oil in, putting in warm oven for hours to "cure"... Worth it, though.

Sometimes Estate & yard sales render an old set already nicely seasoned from decades of use....

We found a cornbread pan from the 40's we still use and it's great !

Thank you RodandStaff plus Sgt. I truly appreciate your suggestions and help. I got a 10" pan and a dutch oven for Christmas. Seasoned them both this weekend too. Though the wife did not like that cuz of the smoke in the air. Can't open the windows so easily during the cold weather. Makes me wonder if she will appreciate commit to the up keep. Hoping to smooth out the insides this weekend. Since I will need to re-season them again, do you think I can re-season them on the BBQ ? What are your opinions on smoothing out the insides? it appears cheaper in doing that yourself than paying 2 1/2 times the price to get one from the manufacturer.  Again, I mean it when I say I appreciate your comments on this matter, or any topic whether we agree on stuff or not. See ya in the funny papers, and Happy New Years to you both.

• Upvote 1