Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Italy referendum defeat would complete Matteo Renzi's rapid downfall

After taking office with hopes of enacting change, the PM has failed to gain the trust of voters who see politics as a scapegoat

Stephanie Kirchgaessner in Pontassieve (Florence)

Saturday 3 December 2016 07.00 GMT

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/dec/03/italy-referendum-defeat-would-complete-matteo-renzis-rapid-downfall

Hello Sage...The matter is rather complicated....Would be obvious that we all want a reduction of parliamentary members ( ie.cancellation of the Senate...which instead will remain , even though smaller in size, and will be formed instead by city mayors and councilmen .....so basically they'll will be doing a double job probably performing both jobs not so well, imho)...Bu there are other things on the grid

Italy heads to the polls: 'We are playing for the next 20 years' – Renzi

Voters to decide between the political establishment and rising populist forces in referendum that could see Renzi resign

Stephanie Kirchgaessner in Rome

Sunday 4 December 2016 06.00 GMT

4256.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=9f91b5aa09c8c8a5c7b85d904e40c65a
Supporters of Matteo Renzi’s Democratic party attend the last political rally before the referendum.
Photograph: Laura Lezza/Getty Images

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/dec/04/italy-referendum-matteo-renzi

umb's comment: I already voted first thing in the morning!....But won't say what I voted for (YES / NO)...Smile

Yes, Italy’s constitution needs fixing. But not as urgently as its banks do

Sunday’s referendum has become a vote on a cocktail of problems and pressing national issues. But its most far-reaching impact will be a financial one

Sunday 4 December 2016 07.00 GMT

By Business Leader

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/dec/04/italy-constitution-needs-fixing-not-as-urgently-as-banks-referendum

Interesting reads umbertino. For its size, Italy has major issues too. I don't get, if vote goes to 100 senate seats, why those would be appointed. Why not let the people speak and vote for those seated and put limitations on terms? Get a cohesive team to tackle financial and unemployment problems to start.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Sage449 said:

Interesting reads umbertino. For its size, Italy has major issues too. I don't get, if vote goes to 100 senate seats, why those would be appointed. Why not let the people speak and vote for those seated and put limitations on terms? Get a cohesive team to tackle financial and unemployment problems to start.

Basically agreed, Sage

'More radical solutions are needed': Italians on the referendum

Italians explain how the referendum on political reform has morphed into a battle between populist forces and the status quo

Carmen Fishwick and Guardian readers

Sunday 4 December 2016 07.00 GMT

4016.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=023c2668e3fbbecc6f3fe09bfd8ddddb
The latest polls show about a quarter of Italians are undecided.
Photograph: Anadolu Agency/Getty Images

Decision Italy – Italians Vote In Nationalism Referendum…

Posted on December 3, 2016 by sundance

renzi-1.jpg

The Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi is attempting to push back against increasing nationalistic sentiments by establishing a referendum tomorrow to fundamentally adjust the political powers of central governance.

renzi-1

In essence, tomorrow Italians will vote “YES” to approve of Renzi’s referendum, or “NO” to oppose his referendum.  The referendum itself is a wide ranging construct intended to realign and centralize political power away from Italy’s current regional influences.

An analogy for Americans might be to think of Italy’s referendum as the elimination of the U.S. constitution’s 10th Amendment.  [Which essentially says all powers not directly given to the federal government are necessarily retained by the states.]   Italy’s vote tomorrow is to determine if their regions (states) are willing to cede power to Renzi’s centralized (federal) government.

PM Renzi’s objectives align with a political restructuring intended to ensure the nation retains a globalist perspective and friendly approach toward membership in the larger European union.  More centralized power means legislation favorable to larger governmental controls, and favorable to the European Union, can be more easily achieved.

Opponents to Renzi’s referendum do not want to cede authority to a larger governing body, and want to retain their specific culture, freedom and independence – a more patriotic nationalistic view.

Against the backdrop of growing push-back against the multinational corporate objectives of the globalists, most notably seen within the successful Brexit vote and the successful election of Donald Trump, stopping the Renzi referendum would be seen as another win for the nationalist (anti-globalist) movement.

If Renzi’s referendum is stopped he has promised to step down as Prime Minister.  In addition, a successful NO vote would be seen as the first step toward Italians exiting the European Union similar to Brexit.

Our resident Italian/American MoniQueMoniCat, a resident of both Italy and the U.S. has some additional perspective:

renzi-2Tomorrow Sunday DEC 4th is the vote in Italy on Renzi’s referendum. A “no” vote keeps Italy’s regional power (like states power); a “yes” vote makes Renzi KING and gives the federal all power and secures his UNELECTED place as Prime Minister for FIVE YEARS!

My cousin Flavio, a hardworking Italian with 4 children and a great wife and a pizza oven in his house.

Flavio is a BiG Trump supporter! He asked me to get him a Trump T-Shirt, I ordered it and it’s ON THE WAY! He says “tomorrow we are going to vote against that maniac in Rome’s referendum!”

Hillarious Clinton is being compared to Renzi in their get out the “NO” vote against him in Italy.

Caption over Hillarious: “Those who are against me are DEPLORABLES”.

Caption over Renzi: “Those who are against me are a strange assortment, and odd assortment of jumbled groups (like 5-star, Lega Nord, the nationalist right, and the scattered remains of the ‘radical’ left like Assange). 

Renzi used the word “accozzaglia” in the same way Hillarious used “basket of deplorables.”   The hashtag “#GODONALDGO” is GO DONALD GO! A statement of support for Trump:

Interesting that Renzi’s campaign advisor is none other than Jim Messina of the USA who also was Obama’s advisor! Renzi is running a similar playbook to Hillarious Clinton! She says “basket of deplorables” and he said “a collection of misfits.” If this isn’t proof of GLOBALISTS WORKING TOGETHER IN TANDEM I don’t know what else is!

Donald Trump being utilized in the vote “NO” on the referendum. Trump: “Now time to get rid of all 3!” or “Two down, one to go!”

O how Trump is helping Europe break free. If Renzi’s referendum doesn’t pass this will help make way to get a referendum to leave the EU.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Whatshername said:

Opponents to Renzi’s referendum do not want to cede authority to a larger governing body, and want to retain their specific culture, freedom and independence – a more patriotic nationalistic view.

Sound like the opponents are sick and tired of the mess that Italy 🇮🇹 is in! I'm sure they will vote no but it really doesn't matter. Italy will fail, the EU will fail the above quote tells you why

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, brob said:

Sound like the opponents are sick and tired of the mess that Italy 🇮🇹 is in! I'm sure they will vote no but it really doesn't matter. Italy will fail, the EU will fail the above quote tells you why

Italians ( at least the little people like myself) are truly sick & tired of all the BS coming from this arrogant youngman ( politician ) and others representives of the PTB. 

This referendum was able ( happens sometimes, you know) to get together  in same voting preferences some sections of the left with the right ( most of it).. I don't have a problem with that, of course...We got the right ( meaning good....smile) result. Which wasn't granted at all.

Obviously , as an Italian, I very much hope my Country will not fail...We went through  lots of ( very) tough situations before and I'm optimistic we'll make it through this as well

Edited by umbertino
  • Upvote 1