Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Cuba's Fidel Castro, former president, dies aged 90

Cuba's Fidel Castro, former president, dies aged 90

• 12 minutes ago
  •  
  •  

Fidel Castro. Photo: September 2010

Image copyrightAFP/GETTY IMAGES Image captionFidel Castro led the Communist revolution in Cuba in 1959

Fidel Castro, Cuba's former president and leader of the Communist revolution, has died aged 90, state TV has announced.

It provided no further details.

Fidel Castro ruled Cuba as a one-party state for almost half a century before handing over the powers to his brother Raul in 2008.

His supporters praised him as a man who had given Cuba back to the people. But his opponents accused him of brutally suppressing opposition.

Obituary: Fidel Castro

In April, Fidel Castro gave a rare speech on the final day of the country's Communist Party congress.

He acknowledged his advanced age but said Cuban communist concepts were still valid and the Cuban people "will be victorious".

Media captionFidel Castro made a rare appearance at Cuba's Communist Party congress

"I'll soon be 90," the former president said, adding that this was "something I'd never imagined".

"Soon I'll be like all the others, "to all our turn must come," Fidel Castro said.

Fidel Castro's key dates

1926: Born in the south-eastern Oriente Province of Cuba

1953: Imprisoned after leading an unsuccessful rising against Batista's regime

1955: Released from prison under an amnesty deal

1956: With Che Guevara, begins a guerrilla war against the government

1959: Defeats Batista, sworn in as prime minister of Cuba

1960: Fights off CIA-sponsored Bay of Pigs invasion by Cuban exiles

1962: Sparks Cuban missile crisis by agreeing that USSR can deploy nuclear missiles in Cuba

1976: Elected president by Cuba's National Assembly

1992: Reaches an agreement with US over Cuban refugees

2008: Stands down as president of Cuba due to health issues

Source: BBC History

• Upvote 1

Mark you beat me to it. I was just gonna post this.

TODAY IS A GREAT DAY FOR THE CUBAN PEOPLE !!!!!!!!!!   :bravo:    :woot:     :backflip:  :bravo:         You all have no idea how long we've been waiting for this.  This man has destroyed so many lives and broken up so many families.   I for one have been waiting for this day for a very long time.    :woot:   :woot:   :woot:

All Cuban's everywhere will be celebrating .......:cheesehead:      "FINALLY" !

• Upvote 6

Fidel Castro obituary: revolutionary icon finally defeated by infirmity of old age

Charismatic leader of the revolution and president of Cuba who bestrode the world stage for half a century

Richard Gott

Saturday 26 November 2016 15.04 GMT

Vid in link

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/26/fidel-castro-obituary

5 hours ago, nannab said:

Good riddance to bad garbage !!! Hopefully the next one in is better

to his people. I think it is his brother?

His Brother Raul has been President of Cuba already for a few years now due to Fidel's health situation...He's not that young himself

Edited by umbertino

Havana in mourning: 'We Cubans are Fidelista even if we are not communist'

Despite months of veiled goodbyes, the passing of Fidel Castro is still a shock to Cubans, many of whom express dismay at uncertainty to come

Jonathan Watts and Ted Francis in Havana

Saturday 26 November 2016 12.24 GMT

4762.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=395055977c17da25469d015b00c1e756
Outside her home in Havana, Rafaela Vargas mourns the death of Fidel Castro.
Photograph: Desmond Boylan/AP

2879.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=d9ce0a4dfbabce0a594b89b56a70ec0b
A Cuban flag at half-mast in Havana.
Photograph: Adalberto Roque/AFP/Getty Images

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/26/havana-mourning-cubans-fidelista-fidel-castro

• Downvote 2

‘He led a humble life’: Fidel Castro’s biographer on the legacy of a revolutionary – video

Ignacio Ramonet reflects on Fidel Castro, the revolutionary leader of Cuba who has died at age 90. Castro was an “excessively respectful” intellectual who succeeded in bringing Latin America onto the international stage, says Ramonet, who co-wrote the leader’s autobiography, ‘My Life’, based on over 100 hours of interviews with the man who many consider an icon

theguardian.com

Saturday 26 November 2016 10.44 GMT

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2016/nov/26/he-led-a-humble-life-fidel-castros-biographer-on-the-legacy-of-a-revolutionary-video

• Downvote 3

4 minutes ago, Jim1cor13 said:

Of course, jump right in and condemn a dead man to your gods loving torture.

Hope it made your day...

I didn't condemn him Jim. Do you really think that he gave his heart to Jesus? I was only wanting everyone that is still alive to think about what will happen after we all die. And if someone goes to hell God didn't condemn that person, they would have made that choice on their own. God gave his very life for us all, you know that. 

• Upvote 2

Not for ME to judge, nor is it for YOU to judge and get your pot shots in on a dead man.

No matter how you justify your statements, it shows how twisted your ideologies are.

But that is ok, you can take comfort in them and assume that I also will be tortured

by your god because I do not follow the "script". Been down that road too many years

and watched it destroy peoples lives. No thanks, enjoy your day.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Donald Trump condemned the late Cuban leader Fidel Castro on an otherwise quiet Saturday for the president-elect.

"The world marks the passing of a brutal dictator who oppressed his own people for nearly six decades," Trump said in a statement issued hours after Castro's death. "Fidel Castro’s legacy is one of firing squads, theft, unimaginable suffering, poverty and the denial of fundamental human rights."

Trump, who has pledged to roll back the Obama administration's diplomatic opening to Cuba, said the nation remains "a totalitarian island," but he hopes that Castro's passing will mark "a move away from the horrors endured for too long, and toward a future in which the wonderful Cuban people finally live in the freedom they so richly deserve."

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Jim1cor13 said:

Not for ME to judge, nor is it for YOU to judge and get your pot shots in on a dead man.

No matter how you justify your statements, it shows how twisted your ideologies are.

But that is ok, you can take comfort in them and assume that I also will be tortured

by your god because I do not follow the "script". Been down that road too many years

and watched it destroy peoples lives. No thanks, enjoy your day.

I'm wondering why you seem so angry. I've made no judgement call about Castro nor you for that matter. I believe that you and I are brothers and that you have stated your belief in Jesus Christ as you Lord and Savior. I only stated my opine that right now Castro knows the truth, whatever that truth may be. I'm sorry that you feel as if I was taking ,"pot shots", at Castro or you. As I stated already my intentions were only to make others consider where they want to spend eternity. And I felt that the death of anyone is an appropriate time to do so. I've asked you before, my friend, to explain to me how you insulting me because you don't agree with my,"twisted ideologies", is in any way less judgemental? I am not going to be angry at you. I am not going to hate you. I am only going to give you that which your screen name claims is your foundation, my love. If I have committed a sin against God then I will not only seek knowledge of that sin, but I will seek his forgiveness of that sin. You have no reason to be upset with me, I will take your reply to the Lord and he will show me what is truth. With all my love, Scotty :hug::wub:

• Upvote 1

Wow!  Compare and contrast...

unnamed-2-2.jpg

Obummer 

"At this time of Fidel Castro’s passing, we extend a hand of friendship to the Cuban people. We know that this moment fills Cubans - in Cuba and in the United States - with powerful emotions, recalling the countless ways in which Fidel Castro altered the course of individual lives, families, and of the Cuban nation. History will record and judge the enormous impact of this singular figure on the people and world around him. 

For nearly six decades, the relationship between the United States and Cuba was marked by discord and profound political disagreements. During my presidency, we have worked hard to put the past behind us, pursuing a future in which the relationship between our two countries is defined not by our differences but by the many things that we share as neighbors and friends - bonds of family, culture, commerce, and common humanity. This engagement includes the contributions of Cuban Americans, who have done so much for our country and who care deeply about their loved ones in Cuba.

Today, we offer condolences to Fidel Castro's family, and our thoughts and prayers are with the Cuban people. In the days ahead, they will recall the past and also look to the future. As they do, the Cuban people must know that they have a friend and partner in the United States of America."

Marco Rubio

"Fidel Castro seized power promising to bring freedom and prosperity to Cuba, but his communist regime turned it into an impoverished island prison. Over six decades, millions of Cubans were forced to flee their own country, and those accused of opposing the regime were routinely jailed and even killed.

Sadly, Fidel Castro’s death does not mean freedom for the Cuban people or justice for the democratic activists, religious leaders, and political opponents he and his brother have jailed and persecuted. The dictator has died, but the dictatorship has not. And one thing is clear, history will not absolve Fidel Castro; it will remember him as an evil, murderous dictator who inflicted misery and suffering on his own people.

The future of Cuba ultimately remains in the hands of the Cuban people, and now more than ever Congress and the new administration must stand with them against their brutal rulers and support their struggle for freedom and basic human rights."

Ted Cruz

"Fidel Castro’s death cannot bring back his thousands of victims, nor can it bring comfort to their families. Today we remember them and honor the brave souls who fought the lonely fight against the brutal Communist dictatorship he imposed on Cuba."

Jimmy Carter

“Rosalynn and I share our sympathies with the Castro family and the Cuban people on the death of Fidel Castro. We remember fondly our visits with him in Cuba and his love of his country. We wish the Cuban citizens peace and prosperity in the years ahead.” 

And this is useful advice...

"Build a list of those praising Castro and you will have a list of leftists who reject reality for an ideological fantasy." Newt Gingrich

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, Jim1cor13 said:

Not for ME to judge, nor is it for YOU to judge and get your pot shots in on a dead man

I'll take pot shots at that motherfu#*ker!!! I'll take pots and pans down to La Carreta and bang them with the rest of Miami and pray for a fiery hell for that son of a *****. I'll pray for those who lost their lives to his whims, and I'll remember those people, some of my friends, who suffered through the police state that was (is) that island, and how their houses were searched and personal possessions taken from them. And these friggen leftist leaders praising him makes me sick, yeah call him a fuc*#g hero so that we can all just forget the atrocities of a dictator, so that way we'll be blind when the next one rolls around 

• Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, brob said:

I'll take pot shots at that motherfu#*ker!!! I'll take pots and pans down to La Carreta and bang them with the rest of Miami and pray for a fiery hell for that son of a *****. I'll pray for those who lost their lives to his whims, and I'll remember those people, some of my friends, who suffered through the police state that was (is) that island, and how their houses were searched and personal possessions taken from them. And these friggen leftist leaders praising him makes me sick, yeah call him a fuc*#g hero so that we can all just forget the atrocities of a dictator, so that way we'll be blind when the next one rolls around 

:bravo:     :bravo:     standing ovation    :bravo:     :bravo:

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, Whatshername said:
Marco Rubio

"Fidel Castro seized power promising to bring freedom and prosperity to Cuba, but his communist regime turned it into an impoverished island prison. Over six decades, millions of Cubans were forced to flee their own country, and those accused of opposing the regime were routinely jailed and even killed.

Sadly, Fidel Castro’s death does not mean freedom for the Cuban people or justice for the democratic activists, religious leaders, and political opponents he and his brother have jailed and persecuted. The dictator has died, but the dictatorship has not. And one thing is clear, history will not absolve Fidel Castro; it will remember him as an evil, murderous dictator who inflicted misery and suffering on his own people.

The future of Cuba ultimately remains in the hands of the Cuban people, and now more than ever Congress and the new administration must stand with them against their brutal rulers and support their struggle for freedom and basic human rights."

"Build a list of those praising Castro and you will have a list of leftists who reject reality for an ideological fantasy." Newt Gingrich

Marco Rubio got it right........and so did Newt Gingrich.......:twothumbs:

• Upvote 2