Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Japan: one fifth of employees at risk of death from overwork – report

umbertino

More than 20% of workers clocked dangerous levels of overtime each month, according to a government survey

Agence France-Presse

Saturday 8 October 2016 06.35 BST

5616.jpg?w=700&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=be130d45fc7f810c4c69e73e6f733d2c
While the popular image of Japanese salarymen toiling long hours is changing, many still work longer than their foreign counterparts.
Photograph: Alamy

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/oct/08/japan-one-fifth-of-employees-at-risk-of-death-from-overwork-report

:wub: I find this study to be extremely funny. I've worked over 70 hrs a week for over 25 yrs and I can tell anyone two things.

1st. I look like someone that is 38 yrs old and not the actual 52 yrs that I am. 

2nd. I have the stamina of a teenager and I have a much younger wife that will attest to that fact. :lol:

I have been to Japan and the Asian territories many times, they are a wonderful and hard working people with a strong purpose.

I pray that they don't succumb to the western ideology that suggest that hard work is anything other than good for the soul. :wub:   

1 hour ago, umbertino said:

Working for living...or...living just for working? 

:wub: Working to live, or living to work. Ask yourself, my friend, why it is that so many retiree's  die within two yrs of their retirement. Working is what makes us alive, whether we do it for the good of humanity or we do it for our families or we do it for only ourselves. Work is what gives us purpose. :wub:

19 minutes ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

:wub: Working to live, or living to work. Ask yourself, my friend, why it is that so many retiree's  die within two yrs of their retirement. Working is what makes us alive, whether we do it for the good of humanity or we do it for our families or we do it for only ourselves. Work is what gives us purpose. :wub:

LGD, my Friend...I said "living just for working"..I know one has to work..but there are also other things besides working, while working......Cultivating hobbies, volunteering, travelling around etc...I know ( and I'm sorry  about it) that some people take their lives  because at time of retirement they feel lost without work organizing all their time but that might also depend on the fact they didn't conceive anything else in their lives apart  from working..So they find themselves all of a sudden with way too much time on their hands and  get depressed ..Of course jmho.

Edited by umbertino

LGD, my Friend...I said "living just for working"..I know one has to work..but there are also other things besides working, while working......Cultivating hobbies, volunteering, travelling around etc...I know ( and I'm sorry  about it) that some people take their lives  because at time of retirement they feel lost without work organizing all their time but that might also depend on the fact they didn't conceive anything else in their lives apart  from working..So they find themselves all of a sudden with way too much time on their hands and  get depressed ..Of course jmho.

:wub: Oh my dear sweet friend, here is the very thing that you and I do agree on  even though oceans are between us, I can tell from your words that everything that you do is for you a form or work. And so it is with me. The job that I get paid for is just the beginning, I like to  consider my real work the things that I do for the Lord. And that work will never come to an end, God willing. :wub:

• Upvote 1

because at time of retirement they feel lost without work organizing all their time but that might also depend on the fact they didn't conceive anything else in their lives apart  from working..

Those are the people that "live to work". I fall under the category of "work to live". I don't identify with my job. If I have an income not dependent on work you can bet I will find other things to keep busy. I have hobbies and other activities to stay active. After I retire I plan to go to the Costcos in the area and either get a part time job or do for free the carts in the parking lot. I do that a few days a week and I will get great exercise and maybe a few dollars. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, nstoolman1 said:

Those are the people that "live to work". I fall under the category of "work to live". I don't identify with my job. If I have an income not dependent on work you can bet I will find other things to keep busy. I have hobbies and other activities to stay active. After I retire I plan to go to the Costcos in the area and either get a part time job or do for free the carts in the parking lot. I do that a few days a week and I will get great exercise and maybe a few dollars. 

:wub: Oh that is so my point, my friend. Our work defines who we are. We can work for only ourselves or we can work for the greater good. And that goes to the core of who I am, "choose ye this day whom ye shall serve, as for me and my house we will serve the Lord". And in so doing we will serve others. :wub:

12 hours ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

:wub: Oh my dear sweet friend, here is the very thing that you and I do agree on  even though oceans are between us, I can tell from your words that everything that you do is for you a form or work. And so it is with me. The job that I get paid for is just the beginning, I like to  consider my real work the things that I do for the Lord. And that work will never come to an end, God willing. :wub:

Sounds good...

On 9/10/2016 at 3:08 AM, nstoolman1 said:

That should be the way, imho. Grazie for your testimonial, nstoolman