Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Math Quiz

moose 57

I see the 40 solution also... maybe they're both correct!  But I still get 95 on the extrapolated solution.  Mark, I see it as a pattern, not a formula... but I'm no mathmetician!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Shabibilicious said:

40  :shrug:  ....but I'm no genius and very seldom over think anything.  :lol:

GO RV, then BV

That's what I'd have said too.....40....But it's true I flunked math twice ..Just wasn't my thing  ( even though I realize it's fascinating)

Please  gentle math souls...kindly help me understand  how 95 comes in the picture....Grazie in advance..Always willing and happy to learn something.

Edited by umbertino
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, moose 57 said:
Slam 100.5fm's photo.

h.a.n.d.

I came up with 2 different answers and 

not sure which one is correct

96 or 40?

I suspect both answers could be correct since the middle two equations are completely mathematically (arithmetically) incorrect as is.  40 could be the arithmetic answer and 96 could be the geometric answer (xy+x).

Arithmetically, the product of the first line (5) plus the left side of the second line (2 + 5) equals the product on the second line (12).  The product on the second line (12) plus the left side of the third line (3 + 6) equals the product on the third line (21).  So, the product on the third line (21) plus the left side of the fourth line (8 + 11) would produce a product on the fourth line of 40.

Geometrically, (1x4 + 1) = 5. (2x5 + 2) = 12. (3x6 + 3) = 21. So, (8x11 + 8) = 96.

Since the first line is the only arithmetically correct answer, I suspect the geometric answer of 96 is the correct answer if there is only one and not two correct answers.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Synopsis said:

I suspect both answers could be correct since the middle two equations are completely mathematically (arithmetically) incorrect as is.  40 could be the arithmetic answer and 96 could be the geometric answer (xy+x).

Arithmetically, the product of the first line (5) plus the left side of the second line (2 + 5) equals the product on the second line (12).  The product on the second line (12) plus the left side of the third line (3 + 6) equals the product on the third line (21).  So, the product on the third line (21) plus the left side of the fourth line (8 + 11) would produce a product on the fourth line of 40.

Geometrically, (1x4 + 1) = 5. (2x5 + 2) = 12. (3x6 + 3) = 21. So, (8x11 + 8) = 96.

Since the first line is the only arithmetically correct answer, I suspect the geometric answer of 96 is the correct answer if there is only one and not two correct answers.

Who asked you BRAINIAC?  Hahahaha.....just kidding.  :D

GO RV, then BV

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, Synopsis said:

Grazie..It really sounds complicated ( to me at least)

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Synopsis said:

Damn...there's just no way outta this thread without some egg on face is there??? :blink:

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, RodandStaff said:

Damn...there's just no way outta this thread without some egg on face is there??? :blink:

Yeah, hence a "trick question"!  What I have found in domestic life is, sometimes no matter what answer I give, it is always the wrong answer.  So, I need to put all the possible answers out there - and still be completely wrong.  But, at least I tried (not to get away, of course!) and that seems to somehow earn some favor - at least to try again!

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Synopsis said:

Yeah, hence a "trick question"!  What I have found in domestic life is, sometimes no matter what answer I give, it is always the wrong answer.  So, I need to put all the possible answers out there - and still be completely wrong.  But, at least I tried (not to get away, of course!) and that seems to somehow earn some favor - at least to try again!

Lol...ya kinda sound like your taking a guy's stance in marriage...you can be right but always wrong!!! :blink: ;)

• Upvote 2

Oops!  96, not 95... rushed my adding in my head!

Here's how I came up with it... not as a formula (no multiplication/products), but as a pattern, extrapolated out (addition/sums).  Simply add the sum of the previous line to the next::

1 + 4 = 5

2 + 5 = 7 (+5) = 12

3 + 6 = 9 (+12) = 21

4 + 7 = 11 (+21) = 32

5 + 8 = 13 (+32) = 45

6 + 9 = 15 (+45) = 60

7 + 10 = 17 (+60) = 77

THEREFORE:

8 + 11 = 19 (+77) = 96

Edited by Jaxinjersey
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jaxinjersey said:

Here's how I came up with it... not as a formula (no multiplication/products), but as a pattern, extrapolated out (addition/sums).  Simply add the sum of the previous line to the next::

1 + 4 = 5

2 + 5 = 7 (+5) = 12

3 + 6 = 9 (+12) = 21

4 + 7 = 11 (+21) = 32

5 + 8 = 13 (+32) = 45

6 + 9 = 15 (+45) = 60

7 + 10 = 17 (+60) = 77

THEREFORE:

8 + 11 = 19 (+77) = 96

Fabulous, JaxinJersey!

I did notice the arithmetic progression on the left side of the equation and the gap in the numbers between the 3rd ands 4th line.  I was thinking inside the box.  However, with the four added lines, there is additional support for the arithmetic answer that is equally as viable as the geometric answer!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jaxinjersey said:

1 + 4 = 5

2 + 5 = 7 (+5) = 12

3 + 6 = 9 (+12) = 21

4 + 7 = 11 (+21) = 32

5 + 8 = 13 (+32) = 45

6 + 9 = 15 (+45) = 60

7 + 10 = 17 (+60) = 77

THEREFORE:

8 + 11 = 19 (+77) = 96

Ok....Grazie

• Upvote 1