Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Donald Trump: 'I could shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose any voters'

Republican frontrunner is so supremely confident that he believes he could commit murder and maintain his lead over his opponents

Reuters

Sunday 24 January 2016 08.24 GMT

US Republican frontrunner Donald Trump is so confident in his support base that he said he could stand on New York’s Fifth Avenue “and shoot somebody” and still not lose voters.

Speaking in Iowa, Trump claimed he could withstand any attempt by his political rivals to knock him off his top perch.

His typically inflammatory comments come as Trump’s Republican rival Marco Rubio won the endorsement Saturday from the Des Moines Register, Iowa’s biggest and most influential newspaper. The Register picked Hillar-y Clinton for the Democrats, nine days from the first nominating contest in Iowa.

The endorsements were big developments for both Rubio and Clinton. Rubio, a Florida senator, has been running third behind Trump and Texas Senator Ted Cruz in Iowa, while Clinton has struggled to fend off a challenge to the Democratic nomination from Bernie Sanders.

Trump and Cruz, Trump’s chief obstacle to a victory in Iowa, held competing rallies across the state while in New Hampshire, other candidates battled for votes in that state’s 9 February first-in-the-nation primary for the 8 November election.

Trump, the New York billionaire and former reality TV star who has been virtually impervious to attacks from his opponents, pushed the limits of his political rhetoric again in Sioux Center, Iowa.

“I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose any voters,” he said.

For his rivals, Trump has become a hard target to criticise because not all of his supporters are conservatives and many are most interested in his projection of strength, not where he stands on a particular issue.

The latest Reuters-Ipsos tracking poll had Trump pulling in 40.6% support of Republican voters nationally. A CNN/ORC poll has Trump up in Iowa with 37% to 26% for Cruz, who has led in some other Iowa polls.

Trump did not repeat the “shoot somebody” line at a later rally in Pella, while stressing to the crowd there that he would tone down his rhetoric as president.

Cruz responded to Trump at an event in Ankeny, where he picked up the endorsement of conservative firebrand Glenn Beck, a counterweight of sorts to Trump’s endorsement by 2008 vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin.

“Listen, I will let Donald speak for himself. I can say I have no intention of shooting anybody in this campaign,” Cruz said.

“There is one thing to have a healthy ego, there is another to give a man who believes those kind of things, who has a habit of anyone who stands in his way of destruction,” Beck said. “To give that man the full power and scope of the office of the presidency is something we will grow to regret.

During his speech, Trump called Fox News anchor Megyn Kelly biased and said she should not be a moderator at a Fox-hosted Republican debate in Des Moines on Thursday. Kelly’s questioning at an 6 August debate in Cleveland had prompted Trump to unleash a series of insults at her.

There was no indication that Fox planned to remove her as a moderator.

“Megyn Kelly has no conflict of interest. Donald Trump is just trying to build up the audience for Thursday’s debate, for which we thank him,” said a Fox News spokesman.

3736.jpg?w=700&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10
Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump believes his lead is insurmountable in the run up to the Iowa caucus.
Photograph: Joshua Lott/Getty Images

• Downvote 3

Why hell I could shoot somebody and not lose any voters too.

Does that sound stupid Umbert.

So does this article     :)

Hey you hear from maggie at all? 

I have , she neggs me everyday  :lmao: 

I can't believe that America is falling for this crap again. What is wrong with 

everyone. We've let the psychos run the Asylum. I wonder what would happen 

if one of us went to work and made a statement like the Duck just did? That's just

not something that you joke about in this world today. Unless he wasn't joking. And

if'n I was Ted Cruz I wouldn't come near that freak show ever again until my body guards

made certain that he wasn't packen. 

And the truth of the matter is that what he  said is probably true. No one would care. But what 

the Duck and no one else is realizing is what that statement says about America. What a 

sorry state of affairs we've sunken to. 

Edited by ladyGrace'sDaddy
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

When I first heard Trump say this, I laughed out loud! I think his confidence is entertaining. I believe he was joking... that's the way I took it. Now, in proper context, if he was standing on 5th Avenue and someone threatened him with physical violence and he pulled out a gun and shot them dead... I have no problem with that whatsoever. I'm quite sure he didn't mean the cold-hearted murder of an innocent person. It was a boastful exaggeration about the loyalty of his supporters. HUBRIS isn't meant to be taken seriously! :eyebrows:
  • Upvote 6