Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

What is involved in truly “knowing” God?

Fly

Daily Text: Thursday, December 24    http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/h/r1/lp-e

Father, glorify me alongside yourself with the glory that I had alongside you before the world was.—John 17:5.

Jesus talks late into the night, imparting to his disciples precious knowledge from God. Then he raises his eyes to heaven and prays: “Father, the hour has come; glorify your son, that your son may glorify you, according as you have given him authority over all flesh.” (John 17:1, 2) Notice Jesus’ priorities in the introduction to his prayer recorded in John chapter 17. His main concern is the glorification of his heavenly Father, and this harmonizes with the first request in Jesus’ model prayer: “Father, let your name be sanctified.” (Luke 11:2) Jesus’ next concern is for the needs of his disciples, that “he may give them everlasting life.” After that, Jesus makes a personal request, saying the words of today’s text. Jehovah rewards his faithful Son with even more than he asks by giving Jesus “a name more excellent than” that of all the angels.—Heb. 1:4.

w13 10/15 4:4, 5 < Link to: How can we act in harmony with Jesus’ prayer today?                      

What do you think?

• Upvote 5

I think the first step for any person is to realize they exist.  

So many people are so busy 'doing' something that results with a 'feeling' they fail to see themselves as a base model separate from extended feelings they continuously pursue.

In other words, they strive to live outside of themselves while looking upon their own image and pursuing adjustments to modify what and who they think they are or should be.

They ignore the eternal evidence that they have a soul.

O Holy NIght is my favorite Christmas Carol that shares a truth good for every day of the year:

Long lay the world in sin and error pining
Till He appeared and the soul felt its worth.
A thrill of hope the weary soul rejoices

Until a person recognizes they posses a 'Soul' they will be unable to 'Know God' and subsequently the 'Worth' of their soul.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

What do you think?

Isaiah 45:19 New International Version (NIV)

19 I have not spoken in secret,

from somewhere in a land of darkness;

I have not said to Jacob’s descendants,

‘Seek me in vain.’

I, the Lord, speak the truth;

I declare what is right.

Hebrews 11:6 New International Version (NIV)

6 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

Hebrews 11:1-3 New International Version (NIV)

Faith in Action

11 Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. 2 This is what the ancients were commended for.

3 By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.

John 1:12-13 New International Version (NIV)

12 Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— 13 children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.

John 14:15-21 New International Version (NIV)

Jesus Promises the Holy Spirit

15 “If you love me, keep my commands. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be[a] in you. 18 I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. 19 Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. 20 On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. 21 Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.”

First, in my opinion, HE wants us to know HIM.

Second, in my opinion, we receive Jesus Christ as LORD and Savior.

Third, in my opinion, we obey the words of Jesus Christ by the Holy Spirit - putting HIS words into practice - to know God.

Putting HIS words into practice, we do the things HE did. If we exercise HIS attitudes doing what he did, then I think we experience what HE did and have his peace in knowing HIM.

• Upvote 2

Back when I was a kid growing up in the late 50's into the early 70's, my parents never took us kids to church. We lived a hard life on a dairy farm and my father felt that going to church was a waste of time.

We knew nothing about God or the Bilble. It wasn't till I went into the Navy when I decided to attend a Sunday mass every now and then. Then it wasn't till about a year after joining the Navy that I found out what God was all about.

I was on my way to Arazona one weekend with a friend of mine when I almost met my maker. My buddy Loyd wanted to see his girlfriend in Presscot, Az. And we started out from Port Hueneme, Ca. By the time we got near Presscot it was nearly 2 in the morning. I was in the front seat of his small car and told him I was tired. I took a pillow and stuffed it against the door and put my head down on it and tried to drift off to sleep. It was hard to sleep as we were in the mountains and rounding hairpin turns every now and then.

After about ten minutes something made me wake up and when I did we were just approaching a hair-pin turn and ready to drive straight off into the abyss. Worst thing off it all, Loyd was trying to light a cigarette and was not paying attention to his driving.

As my head peered over the dash board, I woke up in a hurry to see us heading straight off the road and shouted, "Loyd, look out!!!!!". With that Loyd looked up and quickly turned the wheel to stay on the road. However, Loyd was going to fast to keep the car from going off the road and we ended up with the car sliding sideways towards the cliff. I thought to myself, God could this be it? As the car continued to slide off the curve of the road towards the cliff, the next thing that happened was a real surprise to me. I literally saw my life flash before my eyes. The whole scene took no more than about three seconds and I saw anything of any importance in the flashback. After about a couple of seconds latter, our car came to rest against a big bushy tree that growing up from below the cliff. The vehicle was perched at about a 30 degree angle with my door against the tree.The dust cloud was starting to dissipate and as I got my wits restored I felt good in knowing that I would not be rolling over the 800 foot drop, as I made the sign of the cross.

As I crawled to the driver side door after Loyd got out, I fell into a heap onto the dirt and rocks trying to catch my breath. I thought to myself as I lay there looking up to the night time sky, did you save me God?

So to move this story along, Loyd and I were picked up by a passing motorist and were driven to Loyd's hometown about ten miles from where we went of the road. When morning came we went back to the site with a tow truck operator to retrieve the car. After getting to the car, I looked over the area where th hairpin turn was and found the whole area rather barren. Except where that one tree was with our car perched or leaning against . We could have gone over the drop off anywhere, but we didn't I thought to myself as I surveyed the length of the entire enbankment. The length of the enbankment was about 150 feet long and nothing not even a shurub was growing except for that bushy tree where our car was leaning against. I walked over to the edge of the bank on that bright sunny morning and marveled how I could still be alive. The air was clear and cool and as I looked over I could see nothing but rocks and some large boulders of which any could have taken my young life not more than about seven hours earlier.

Why had God spared me, I was just a nobody in the grand scheme of things. It was there on the side of that bank that I again realized my true belief that

God was around me. God was looking down at me and he had saved me for some unknown reason, although I knew not why. This question eluded me for many years as I every now and then I would think back about that fateful day. It wasn't till about almost fourty years later did I find out why he saved me. God wanted me to rescue my grandson right after he was born in 2008. You see my grandson was taken away from my daughter by Social Services for reasons that I won't get get into now. My grandson is doing wonderful now,

So if you truly want to know God, think back on the important things in your past life and put the pieces back together. It is quite possible that he may have had played a hand in the out come.

• Upvote 7

• 3 weeks later...

Friday, January 15

He gave five talents to one, two to another, and one to still another.—Matt. 25:15.

In the parable of the talents, Jesus clearly reveals an obligation resting on his anointed followers. We need to understand the meaning of this parable, for it affects all true Christians, whether they have the hope of a heavenly reward or of an earthly one. Jesus gave the parable of the talents as part of the answer to his disciples’ question about “the sign of [his] presence and of the conclusion of the system of things.” (Matt. 24:3) Thus, the parable finds its fulfillment in our time and is part of the sign that Jesus is present and ruling as King. The parable of the talents is one of four related illustrations recorded at Matthew 24:45 to 25:46. The other three—about the faithful and discreet slave, the ten virgins, and the sheep and the goats—are also part of Jesus’ answer to the question about the sign of his presence. w15 3/15 3:1-3

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/h/r1/lp-e
  • Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
Wednesday, January 27

There will be great tribulation such as has not occurred since the world’s beginning until now, no, nor will occur again.—Matt. 24:21.

Regarding his invisible presence and the conclusion of the system of things, Jesus said the above. This unparalleled tribulation will start when Jehovah brings destruction on “Babylon the Great,” the world empire of false religion, by using the political powers. (Rev. 17:3-5, 16) What will come next? After false religion is destroyed, Satan and various elements of his world will attack Jehovah’s servants. Concerning “Gog of the land of Magog,” for example, the Scriptures foretell: “You will come against them like a storm, and you will cover the land like clouds, you and all your troops and many peoples with you.” Because Jehovah’s Witnesses have no armed forces and are the most peaceful people on earth, they will appear to be easy targets. But what a mistake attacking them will prove to be!

Ezek. 38:1, 2, 9-12. w14 5/15 4:2, 3

• Upvote 2

I don’t believe ladyGrace’sDaddy is questioning his faith. He loves Jesus, a team of wild horses could not pull him away from the love he daily draws up for the greatest man that ever lived. I don’t believe he is questioning anyone’s faith; perhaps searching, for what an asking heart is missing until he can know he has satisfied it.

I see his comments to be personally open.

In the interim a struggling can be a sign of self testing of honest spiritual growth.

: )

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

The True meaning of the seven trumpets.  

“THE four winds” have been held back until the 144,000 of spiritual Israel are sealed and the great crowd is approved for survival. (Revelation 7:1-4, 9) However, before that tempestuous storm breaks over the earth, Jehovah’s adverse judgments against Satan’s world must also be made known! As the Lamb proceeds to open the seventh and final seal, John must be watching keenly to see what will unfold. Now he shares his experience with us: “And when he [the Lamb] opened the seventh seal, a silence occurred in heaven for about a half hour. And I saw the seven angels that stand before God, and seven trumpets were given them.”—Revelation 8:1, 2.

Preparing for the Blasts of the Trumpets

10 John goes on to say: “And the seven angels with the seven trumpets prepared to blow them.” (Revelation 8:6) What does the blowing of those trumpets mean? In the days of Israel, trumpet blasts were used to signal important days or noteworthy events. (Leviticus 23:24; 2 Kings 11:14) Similarly, the blasts of the trumpets that John is to hear will call attention to matters of life-and-death importance.

11 As the angels got ready to blow those trumpets, no doubt they were also giving direction to a preparatory work on earth. From 1919 to 1922, the revitalized John class was busy in reorganizing the public ministry and building up publishing facilities. In 1919 the magazine The Golden Age, known today as Awake!, had been brought forth as “A Journal of Fact, Hope, and Conviction”—a trumpetlike instrument that would play a key role in exposing false religion’s political involvements.

12 As we shall now see, each of the trumpet blasts heralds a dramatic scene in which terrible plagues affect portions of the earth. Some of these remind us of the plagues that Jehovah sent to punish the Egyptians in Moses’ day. (Exodus 7:19–12:32) These were expressions of Jehovah’s judgment on that nation, and they opened the way for God’s people to escape from slavery. The plagues seen by John accomplish something similar. However, they are not literal plagues. They are signs that symbolize Jehovah’s righteous judgments.—Revelation 1:1.

The first Trumpet

A Third of the Earth Burned Up

16 Reporting on the angels, John writes: “And the first one blew his trumpet. And there occurred a hail and fire mingled with blood, and it was hurled to the earth; and a third of the earth was burned up, and a third of the trees was burned up, and all the green vegetation was burned up.” (Revelation 8:7) This is similar to the seventh plague on Egypt, but what does it mean for our time?—Exodus 9:24.

17 In the Bible, the word “earth” often refers to mankind. (Genesis 11:1; Psalm 96:1) Since the second plague is on the sea, which also has to do with mankind, “the earth” must refer to the seemingly stable human society that Satan has built up and that is due to be destroyed. (2 Peter 3:7; Revelation 21:1) The plague scenario reveals that Christendom’s third of the earth is scorched by the searing heat of Jehovah’s disapproval. Her prominent ones—standing like trees in the midst of her—are burned up by the proclaiming of Jehovah’s adverse judgment. All her hundreds of millions of church members, if they continue to support Christendom’s religion, become like scorched blades of grass, spiritually wilted in God’s eyes.—Compare Psalm 37:1, 2.

18 How is this judgment message delivered? Generally, not by the world’s news media, which are part of the world and often reproachful of God’s “slave.” (Matthew 24:45) It was proclaimed in a notable way at the second historic gathering of God’s people at Cedar Point, Ohio, September 10, 1922. These unanimously and enthusiastically adopted a resolution entitled “A Challenge to World Leaders.” In outspoken terms, it put the modern-day symbolic earth on notice, as follows: “We therefore call upon the nations of earth, their rulers and leaders, and upon all the clergymen of all the denominational churches of earth, their followers and allies, big business and big politicians, to bring forth their proof in justification of the position taken by them that they can establish peace and prosperity on earth and bring happiness to the people; and their failing in this, we call upon them to give ear to the testimony that we offer as witnesses for the Lord, and then let them say whether or not our testimony is true.”

19 What testimony did these Christians offer? This: “We hold and declare that Messiah’s kingdom is the complete panacea for all the ills of humankind and will bring peace on earth and good will to men, the desire of all nations; that those who yield themselves willingly to his righteous reign now begun will be blessed with lasting peace, life, liberty and endless happiness.” In these corrupt times, when man-made governments, especially those in Christendom, are failing utterly to solve the world’s problems, that trumpeting challenge rings out with even greater force than in 1922. How true that God’s Kingdom in the hands of his conquering Christ is mankind’s one and only hope!

20 Through resolutions, tracts, booklets, books, magazines, and discourses, this and later proclamations were trumpeted forth by means of the congregation of anointed Christians. The first trumpet blast resulted in Christendom’s being beaten as with the hardened water of a pounding hail. Her bloodguilt, due to her share in the wars of the 20th century, has been laid bare, and she has been shown to be deserving of the fiery expression of Jehovah’s wrath. The John class, with later support from the great crowd, has continued to echo the first trumpet blast, drawing attention to Jehovah’s view of Christendom, as being fit for destruction.—Revelation 7:9, 15.

Information taken from the 1988 publication; Revelation—Its Grand Climax at Hand!

Anyone has access to full watchtower online Library; dating back to 2000 at jw.org under publications tab.

The CD-ROM that is for JW’s is the same but Library of books date back to 1971 and watchtower and awake back to 1950.

Edited by Fly
  • Upvote 1

Matthew 23 (NKJV)

Woe to the Scribes and Pharisees

23 Then Jesus spoke to the multitudes and to His disciples, saying: “The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. Therefore whatever they tell you to observe, that observe and do, but do not do according to their works; for they say, and do not do. For they bind heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on men’s shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers. But all their works they do to be seen by men. They make their phylacteries broad and enlarge the borders of their garments. They love the best places at feasts, the best seats in the synagogues, greetings in the marketplaces, and to be called by men, ‘Rabbi, Rabbi.’ But you, do not be called ‘Rabbi’; for One is your Teacher, the Christ, and you are all brethren. Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven. 10 And do not be called teachers; for One is your Teacher, the Christ. 11 But he who is greatest among you shall be your servant. 12 And whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.

The rest of chapter 23 is a continuation of the same in which Jesus is dealing with those who seek to exalt themselves over others. This threat is titled "What is Involved in Truly Knowing God." Not, how am I better than anyone else. God does not exalt anyone above anyone else. Knowing God means knowing that. It is that simple.

• Upvote 2

darwinatridge

The truth will not simply go away by making up accusations of its messenger and avoiding its warning messages. It is by choice to placate false views as truth, even though the visible and invisible evidences of spiritual truth are overwhelmingly clear today, no one is forced to except it. (Psalm 81:11,12)

Gal 6:4― But let each one examine his own actions, and then he will have cause for rejoicing in regard to himself alone, and not in comparison with the other person.

My response will simply be sharing more needed truth, and not fallowing in the course of minimizing it.

Jehovah impoverishes, and he enriches; He abases, and he exalts. (1Sam 2:7)

Before 1919, The Watch Tower had never discussed in any detail Isaiah’s statement: “‘You are my witnesses,’ declares Jehovah, ‘yes, my servant whom I have chosen.’” (Read Isaiah 43:10-12.) But soon after 1919, our publications began to pay attention to that Bible passage, encouraging all anointed ones to share in the work Jehovah had assigned to them—that of witnessing about him. In fact, from 1925 to 1931 alone, Isaiah chapter 43 was considered in 57 different issues of The Watch Tower, and each issue applied Isaiah’s words to true Christians. Clearly, during those years, Jehovah was drawing the attention of his servants to the work they had to do. Why so? In a way, so that they could be “tested as to fitness first.” (1 Tim. 3:10) Before they could rightly bear God’s name, the Bible Students had to prove to Jehovah by their works that they truly were his witnesses.—Luke 24:47, 48.

An outstanding way in which Jehovah exalts his name is by having a people on earth who bear his name. From 1513 B.C.E. onward, the nation of Israel represented Jehovah as his people. (Isa. 43:12) However, they failed to keep their part of the covenant with God, and in 33 C.E., they lost their special relationship with him. Shortly thereafter, Jehovah “turned his attention to the nations to take out of them a people for his name.” (Acts 15:14) That newly chosen people became known as “the Israel of God,” which consists of anointed followers of Christ from various nations.—Gal. 6:16.

In about 44 C.E., Christ’s disciples were “by divine providence called Christians.” (Acts 11:26) Initially, that name was distinctive, for it referred to true Christians only. (1 Pet. 4:16) However, as indicated in Jesus’ parable of the wheat and the weeds, Satan succeeded in his scheme to apply the unique name Christian to all kinds of imitation Christians. Consequently, for many centuries, true Christians did not stand out clearly from imitation Christians. But that started to change during “the harvest season,” which began in 1914. Why? Because angels began separating imitation Christians from genuine ones.—Matt. 13:30, 39-41.

After the appointment of the faithful slave in 1919, Jehovah helped his people to discern the work he had assigned them to do. They understood that the designation “Bible Students” was not distinctive enough. Their prime purpose in life was not simply to study the Bible but to witness about God and to honor and exalt his name. In July 1931 they adopted a resolution containing the powerful statement: “We desire to be known as and called by the name Jehovah’s Witnesses.  Isaiah 43:10

Many years have passed since Jehovah moved our anointed brothers to embrace their distinctive name. During the intervening years, has Satan been able to obscure the identity of God’s people? Has he succeeded in absorbing us into the world’s religious landscape? No, indeed! On the contrary, our distinct identity as witnesses of God stands out more than ever. (Read Micah 4:5; Malachi 3:18.) In fact, we have become so closely associated with God’s name that anyone who freely uses it today is quickly identified as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Instead of being obscured by a range of mountainlike false religions, Jehovah’s true worship is “firmly established above the top of the mountains.” (Isa. 2:2) Today, Jehovah’s worship and his sacred name are, indeed, highly exalted.

How strengthening it is to know that Jehovah will shield us against Satan’s present and future attacks! (Ps. 121:5) With good reason we echo the sentiments of the psalmist who wrote: “Happy is the nation whose God is Jehovah, the people he has chosen as his own possession.”—Ps. 33:12.

• Upvote 1

The point of this threat is getting to know God, not getting to know religion. There is no religion that will get anyone into heaven. Bringing arguments over from another threat serves no purpose other than to distract from to conversation. Getting to know God means that we must know his Son since the bible tells use that Christ is the only way into heaven.

John 14:6 (NKJV)

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

He and He alone has done the work that gets us into heaven. A good study for anyone to understand how God put everything in place is the study from Matthew Henry on the Book of Exodus. Everything points to Christ as our mediator and it is through him that God has reconciled us. And it is through him that we get to know God. No one else.

• Upvote 3

Who is Arguing?

Be in subjection to one another in fear of Christ. Let wives be in subjection to their husbands as to the Lord, because a husband is head of his wife just as the Christ is head of the congregation, he being a savior of this body.  In fact, as the congregation is in subjection to the Christ, wives should also be to their husbands in everything. Husbands, continue loving your wives, just as the Christ also loved the congregation and gave himself up for it, in order that he might sanctify it, cleansing it with the bath of water by means of the word, so that he might present the congregation to himself in its splendor, without a spot or a wrinkle or any of such things, but holy and without blemish. (Eph 5:21-27)

But I want you to know that the head of every man is the Christ; in turn, the head of a woman is the man; in turn, the head of the Christ is God. (1Cor 11:3)  

• Upvote 2

Who is Arguing?

Be in subjection to one another in fear of Christ. Let wives be in subjection to their husbands as to the Lord, because a husband is head of his wife just as the Christ is head of the congregation, he being a savior of this body.  In fact, as the congregation is in subjection to the Christ, wives should also be to their husbands in everything. Husbands, continue loving your wives, just as the Christ also loved the congregation and gave himself up for it, in order that he might sanctify it, cleansing it with the bath of water by means of the word, so that he might present the congregation to himself in its splendor, without a spot or a wrinkle or any of such things, but holy and without blemish. (Eph 5:21-27)

But I want you to know that the head of every man is the Christ; in turn, the head of a woman is the man; in turn, the head of the Christ is God. (1Cor 11:3)  

Who is Arguing?

The subjection of Christ is only temporary until the kingdom is delivered up to God (Godhead) at the resurrection of the body.  Then the Godhead (Christ, Spirit, and Father) will be united together again.  They are united NOW, but with Christ becoming man, He gave up the equality with the Godhead in order to redeem mankind (Jno 17; Phil 2:5-11; 1Cor 15).

Edited by Nelg
  • Upvote 4

The more one gets to know Christ, the more one knows God, for Christ is God.

The more one submits to the Holy Spirit and yields to His instruction, the more one knows God, for the Spirit is God. 

The reason Christ came to earth is to show us the Father.  Thus, the more we see Jesus Christ in Scripture and are saved by His blood,  the more we know God and will live like God wants us to live.  

• Upvote 5

Monday, February 1

You have hidden these things from the wise and intellectual ones and have revealed them to young children.—Matt. 11:25.

Of course, Jesus did not mean that his disciples were children in a literal sense. Rather, he knew that they seemed to be children compared to the intellectual and highly educated ones in the land, who were wise in their own eyes. More important, Jesus taught his followers to be like children, remaining humble and teachable. (Matt. 18:1-4) How did they benefit from being humble? By means of holy spirit, Jehovah helped them to grasp vital spiritual truths while the wise and intellectual ones, who scorned them, remained blinded by Satan and by their own pride. No wonder Jesus was so pleased! It made him happy to see the way Jehovah revealed deep spiritual truths to humble people of all sorts, regardless of their education or intellectual gifts. He was delighted that his Father approved of this way of teaching. w15 3/15 1:2, 3

Edited by Fly
  • Upvote 2

The humble are teachable, those wise in their own eyes are not.

The humble ask questions seeking wisdom and truth, the humble know

knowledge leads to wisdom. Those wise in their own eyes often enjoy

feeling "puffed up" because of knowledge.

The humble heart seeks to serve, those wise in their own eyes seek to

rule over others and control them.

Interesting contrast all wrapped up in the heart.

• Upvote 2

The day’s text taken from w15 2/15 1:4 adds to Jim1cor13 and RSTEFAN excellent comments.

Wednesday, February 3

Do nothing out of contentiousness or out of egotism, but with humility consider others superior to you.—Phil. 2:3.

What is humility? In this proud world, some may think that humility suggests weakness or lack of confidence. Often, though, just the opposite is true. Showing humility calls for strength and courage. Humility has been defined as “the attitude opposite of pride and arrogance.” In the Christian Greek Scriptures, the word translated “humility” may be rendered “lowliness of mind.” Humility begins with the way we think about ourselves. “Humility is to know how lowly we really are before God,” says one Bible dictionary. If we are truly humble before God, we will also refrain from estimating ourselves to be above our fellow humans. (Rom. 12:3) It is not easy for imperfect humans to cultivate humility. But we can learn to be humble if we reflect on our standing before God and follow in the footsteps of his Son. w15 2/15 1:4

• Upvote 2

We must die to ourselves that Christ can become all in all and live within the individual (Gal 2:20)

We, the old man of sin must die (Rom 6:6-7) to self (Gal 6:14 ) and sin (Rom 6:2, Gal 5:24 ), so that we can live a new life in Christ (Rom 6:4, 11; 2Cor 5:17).  

• Upvote 1

Coercive persuasion is the academic term for mind control or brainwashing. The first major study showing how to identify organisations using mind control was done by Robert Lifton in the 1950's. He specifically researched Chinese communist techniques.

In the 1950's Robert J Lifton conducted a ground breaking study of techniques used to successfully brainwash captured American pilots to convert to the Communist ideology. This is presented in the 1961 book Thought Reform and the Psychology of Totalism: A Study of "Brainwashing" in China. This has been the basis for research into religions that use similar techniques to persuade members that they alone teach truth. Lifton identified eight points used that indicate a group is using coercive techniques or thought reform, techniques commonly used by cults.

Another leader in the field is Dr. Margaret Singer. Dr Singer summarises Lifton's eight points as follows.3 All eight points align closely with practices and teachings of the Watchtower Society, and I have added examples of common Watchtower reasoning to show how closely these coincide:

1. Environment Control. Limitation of many/all forms of communication with those outside the group. Books, magazines, letters and visits with friends and family are taboo. "Come out and be separate!"

"False religious propaganda from any source should be avoided like poison! Really, since our Lord has used "the faithful and discreet slave" to convey to us "sayings of everlasting life," why should we ever want to look anywhere else?"Watchtower 1987 Nov 1 p.20

"We must also be on guard against extended association with worldly people. Perhaps it is a neighbor, a school friend, a workmate, or a business associate. We may reason, 'He respects the Witnesses, he leads a clean life, and we do talk about the truth occasionally.' Yet, the experience of others proves that in time we may even find ourselves preferring such worldly company to that of a spiritual brother or sister. What are some of the dangers of such a friendship?"Watchtower 1994 Feb 15 p.24

Botzwana, http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/fear-cult-mind-control.php are not the facts about Jehovah’s Witnesses, if you want true facts I suggest going to https://www.jw.org/en/ and find them.  

First, a brief background of theme text (Isaiah 52:11) for; 1987 Nov 1 wt article: Are You Remaining Clean in Every Respect?

Accordingly, since the Jews who left Babylon in 537 B.C.E. were privileged to carry with them the sacred utensils that King Nebuchadnezzar had taken from Jerusalem, they had to keep themselves clean religiously and morally. The prophetic command applied to them: “Turn away, turn away, get out of [babylon], touch nothing unclean; get out from the midst of her, keep yourselves clean, you who are carrying the utensils of Jehovah.” (Isa 52:11) This required more than cleanness in an outward ceremonial way. It called for a cleanness of heart. The apostle Paul, when writing to the Corinthians, applied the words of Isaiah 52:11 in showing that Christians must likewise be free from defilement of flesh and spirit.—2Co 6:14-18; 7:1.

w87 11/1

Watchtower study article: Are You Remaining Clean in Every Respect?

Theme Text:

“Turn away, turn away, get out of there, touch nothing unclean; get out from the midst of her, keep yourselves clean, you who are carrying the utensils of Jehovah.”—ISAIAH 52:11.

Under Sub heading: Keeping Spiritually Clean Paragraph 16 page 20.

16 Interestingly, a circuit overseer in France observes: “Some brothers are deceived because they lack accurate knowledge.” That is why Proverbs 11:9 states: “By knowledge are the righteous rescued.” This does not mean giving apostates a hearing ear or delving into their writings. Rather, it means coming to “an accurate knowledge of the sacred secret of God” through diligent personal study of the Bible and the Society’s Bible-based publications. Having this accurate knowledge, who would become so curious as to pay any attention to apostate mouthings? May no man “delude you with persuasive arguments”! (Colossians 2:2-4) False religious propaganda from any source should be avoided like poison! Really, since our Lord has used “the faithful and discreet slave” to convey to us “sayings of everlasting life,” why should we ever want to look anywhere else?—John 6:68.

Not only have they not include the text highlighting the scriptural point John 6:68, but only provide 1 sentence out of a 19 Paragraph article; adding their own misinformation to spin off a false narrative, in the hope others readily except what they feel and think should be the truth.    

I appreciate that you pointed this out, people are becoming more and more aware that this has become a major problem with are world today and exactly why people should properly conduct their own personal research, before, trying to convince others that they know the facts!     

• Upvote 1

The Second Trumpet

Like a Burning Mountain

21 “And the second angel blew his trumpet. And something like a great mountain burning with fire was hurled into the sea. And a third of the sea became blood; and a third of the creatures that are in the sea which have souls died, and a third of the boats were wrecked.” (Revelation 8:8, 9) What does this frightful scene picture?

22 We may best understand it against the background of the convention of Jehovah’s people held in Los Angeles, California, U.S.A., on August 18-26, 1923. The featured Saturday afternoon talk by J. F. Rutherford was on the topic “Sheep and Goats.” The “sheep” were clearly identified as those righteously disposed persons who would inherit the earthly realm of God’s Kingdom. A resolution that followed drew attention to the hypocrisy of “apostate clergymen and ‘the principal of their flocks,’ who are worldly men of strong financial and political influence.” It called on the “multitude of the peace and order loving ones in the denominational churches . . . to withdraw themselves from the unrighteous ecclesiastical systems designated by the Lord as ‘Babylon’” and to ready themselves “to receive the blessings of God’s kingdom.”

23 Doubtless, this resolution came as a result of the sounding of the second trumpet. Those who would in due course respond to that message would separate from those described by Isaiah in these words: “But the wicked are like the sea that is being tossed, when it is unable to calm down, the waters of which keep tossing up seaweed and mire.” (Isaiah 57:20; 17:12, 13) Thus, “the sea” well pictures restless, unsettled, and rebellious humanity that churns up unrest and revolution. (Compare Revelation 13:1.) The time will come when that “sea” will be no more. (Revelation 21:1) Meantime, with the blast of the second trumpet, Jehovah pronounces judgment against a third of it—the unruly part that is in the realm of Christendom herself.

24 A great mountainlike mass burning with fire is hurled into this “sea.” In the Bible, mountains very often symbolize governments. For example, God’s Kingdom is portrayed as a mountain. (Daniel 2:35, 44) Ruinous Babylon became a “burnt-out mountain.” (Jeremiah 51:25) But the mountainous mass that John sees is still burning. Its being hurled into the sea well represents how, during and after the first world war, the question of government became a burning issue among mankind, especially in the lands of Christendom. In Italy, Mussolini introduced Fascism. Germany embraced Hitler’s Nazism, while other countries tried different forms of socialism. A radical change occurred in Russia, where the Bolshevik revolution produced the first Communist state, with the result that religious leaders of Christendom lost power and influence in what was formerly one of their strongholds.

25 The Fascist and Nazi experiments were snuffed out by the second world war, but government continued to be a fiery issue, and the human sea continued to churn and throw up new revolutionary governments. In the decades following 1945, these were installed in many places, such as China, Vietnam, Cuba, and Nicaragua. In Greece an experiment in military dictatorship failed. In Kampuchea (Cambodia) an excursion into fundamentalist Communism resulted in a reported two million and more deaths.

26 That “mountain burning with fire” continued to make waves in the sea of mankind. Struggles over government have been reported in Africa, the Americas, Asia, and the Pacific islands. Many of these struggles have taken place in lands of Christendom or where Christendom’s missionaries have become activists. Roman Catholic priests even joined up with and fought as members of Communist guerrilla bands. At the same time, Protestant evangelical groups worked in Central America to counter what they called the Communists’ “vicious and relentless thirst for power.” But none of these convulsions in the sea of mankind have brought peace and security.—Compare Isaiah 25:10-12; 1 Thessalonians 5:3.

27 The second trumpet blast reveals that those of mankind who got involved in revolutionary conflicts over government rather than submit to God’s Kingdom are bloodguilty. Particularly Christendom’s “third of the sea” has become as blood. All living things therein are dead in God’s eyes. None of the radical organizations floating like boats in that third of the sea can avoid ultimate shipwreck. How happy we are that millions of sheeplike people have now heeded the trumpetlike call to separate from those who are still wallowing in the narrow nationalism and bloodguilt of that sea!

Edited by Fly

Sunday, February 7

Through one man sin entered into the world and death through sin.—Rom. 5:12.

Both Adam and Eve sinned, but Adam was held responsible for their wrongdoing. The first human pair were led to think that they did not need Jehovah as their Ruler. That raised this vital question of sovereignty: Who has the right to rule? To provide an answer for all eternity, God allowed rule independent of him to continue for a time. He knew that experience would prove that rule independent of him would fail. Over the centuries, such rulership has plunged human society into one calamity after another. In the past century alone, about 100,000,000 people died in wars—and that includes millions of innocent men, women, and children. So there already is mounting evidence that “it does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step.” (Jer. 10:23) Realizing that fact, we acknowledge Jehovah as our Ruler.—Prov. 3:5, 6. w14 8/15 1:4, 5

Daily text taken from w14 8/15 1:4, 5

Article: What Is the Role of Women in Jehovah’s Purpose?

The Third Trumpet

28 “And the third angel blew his trumpet. And a great star burning as a lamp fell from heaven, and it fell upon a third of the rivers and upon the fountains of waters. And the name of the star is called Wormwood. And a third of the waters turned into wormwood, and many of the men died from the waters, because these had been made bitter.” (Revelation 8:10, 11) Once again, other parts of the Bible help us to see how this scripture applies in the Lord’s day.

29 We have already met the symbolism of a star in Jesus’ messages to the seven congregations, in which the seven stars symbolize the elders in the congregations. (Revelation 1:20) Anointed “stars,” along with all others of the anointed, inhabit heavenly places in a spiritual sense from the time that they are sealed with the holy spirit as a token of their heavenly inheritance. (Ephesians 2:6, 7) However, the apostle Paul warned that from among such starlike ones would come apostates, sectarians, who would mislead the flock. (Acts 20:29, 30) Such unfaithfulness would result in a great apostasy, and these fallen elders would come to make up a composite man of lawlessness that would elevate himself to a godlike position among mankind. (2 Thessalonians 2:3, 4) Paul’s warnings were fulfilled when the clergy of Christendom appeared on the world scene. This group is well represented by the symbol of “a great star burning as a lamp.”

30 John sees this particular star falling from heaven. How? The experiences of an ancient king help us to understand. Speaking to the king of Babylon, Isaiah said: “O how you have fallen from heaven, you shining one, son of the dawn! How you have been cut down to the earth, you who were disabling the nations!” (Isaiah 14:12) This prophecy was fulfilled when Babylon was overthrown by the armies of Cyrus, and its king made an abrupt descent from world rulership to shameful defeat. Thus, a fall from heaven can refer to losing a high position and falling into ignominy.

31 When the clergy of Christendom apostatized from true Christianity, they fell from the lofty “heavenly” position described by Paul at Ephesians 2:6, 7. Instead of offering fresh waters of truth, they served up “wormwood,” bitter lies such as hellfire, purgatory, the Trinity, and predestination; also, they led the nations into war, failing to build them up as moral servants of God. The result? Spiritual poisoning of those who believed the lies. Their case was similar to that of the unfaithful Israelites of Jeremiah’s day, to whom Jehovah said: “Here I am making them eat wormwood, and I will give them poisoned water to drink. For from the prophets of Jerusalem apostasy has gone forth to all the land.”—Jeremiah 9:15; 23:15.

32 This fall from the spiritual heavens became apparent in the year 1919 when, rather than Christendom’s clergy, the small remnant of anointed Christians was appointed over the Kingdom interests. (Matthew 24:45-47) And from 1922 that fall was dramatized when this group of Christians renewed their campaign of frankly exposing the failings of the clergy of Christendom.

33 Outstanding in this connection was the proclamation made at what The Golden Age magazine described as “the greatest convention of Bible Students held during the ages.” This convention assembled in Columbus, Ohio, July 20-27, 1924. No doubt at the direction of the angel that sounded the third trumpet, a forceful resolution was there adopted and later 50 million copies were distributed as a tract. It was published under the title Ecclesiastics Indicted. A subheading presented the issue: “The Seed of Promise Versus the Seed of the Serpent.” The Indictment itself roundly exposed Christendom’s clergy on matters such as their taking of high-sounding religious titles, their making commercial giants and professional politicians the principal ones of their flocks, their desiring to shine before men, and their refusing to preach to the people the message of Messiah’s Kingdom. It emphasized that every dedicated Christian is commissioned by God to proclaim “the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn.”—Isaiah 61:2, KJ.

34 Since the third angel started to blow his trumpet, the clergy’s position of dominance among mankind has been slipping until, in this day and age, very few of them retain the godlike powers they enjoyed in former centuries. Because of the preaching of Jehovah’s Witnesses, great numbers of people have come to realize that many doctrines taught by the clergy are spiritual poison—“wormwood.” Furthermore, the clergy’s power in northern Europe is almost spent, while in some other lands, the government strictly curtails their influence. In Catholic parts of Europe and in the Americas, the clergy’s scandalous behavior in financial, political, and moral affairs has sullied their reputation. From now on, their position can only get worse, since soon they will suffer the same fate as all other false religionists.—Revelation 18:21; 19:2.

35 Jehovah’s plaguing of Christendom is not yet finished. Consider what happens after the fourth trumpet blast.

[Chart ]

Christendom’s Waters Revealed to Be Wormwood

Beliefs and Attitudes_____________What the Bible

of Christendom_________________Really Says

God’s personal name is____________Jesus prayed that God’s name

unimportant: “The use of any____.___be sanctified. Peter said:

proper name for the one and ________“Everyone who calls on the name

only God . . . is entirely_________.___of Jehovah will be saved.”

inappropriate for the universal_______(Acts 2:21; Joel 2:32;

faith of the Christian Church.”_______Matthew 6:9; Exodus 6:3;

(Preface to the Revised Standard _____Revelation 4:11; 15:3; 19:6)

Version)

God is a Trinity: “The Father________The Bible says that Jehovah is

is God, the Son is God,_____________greater than Jesus and is the

and the Holy Spirit is God,__________God and head of Christ.

and yet there are not three Gods______(John 14:28; 20:17;

but one God.” (The Catholic ________.1 Corinthians 11:3)

Encyclopedia, 1912 edition)_________The holy spirit is God’s

________________________________active force. (Matthew 3:11;

________________________________Luke 1:41; Acts 2:4)

The human soul is immortal:_________Man is a soul. At death

“When man dies his soul and body____.the soul ceases to think or

are disunited. His body . . .___________feel and returns to the dust

decays . . . The human soul,__________from which it was made.

however, does not die.” (What________(Genesis 2:7; 3:19;

Happens After Death, a Roman_______Psalm 146:3, 4;

Catholic publication)________________Ecclesiastes 3:19, 20; 9:5, 10;

_________________________________Ezekiel 18:4, 20)

The wicked are punished after_________The wages of sin is death, not

death in hell: “According to___________life in torment. (Romans 6:23)

traditional Christian belief,____________The dead rest unconscious in

hell is a place of unending____________hell (Hades, Sheol), awaiting

anguish and pain.”__________________a resurrection. (Psalm 89:48;

(The World Book Encyclopedia________John 5:28, 29; 11:24, 25;

1987 edition)_______________________Revelation 20:13, 14)

“The title Mediatrix_________________The only mediator between God

[female mediator] is applied to________.and men is Jesus. (John 14:6;

Our Lady.” (New Catholic____________1 Timothy 2:5; Hebrews 9:15;

Encyclopedia, 1967 edition)___________12:24)

Infants should be baptized:____________Baptism is for those who have

“From the very beginning the__________been made disciples and taught

Church has administered the___________to obey Jesus’ commandments.

Sacrament of Baptism to infants.________To qualify for baptism,

Not only was this practice______________a person must understand God’s

considered lawful, but it was____________Word and exercise faith.

also taught to be absolutely_____________(Matthew 28:19, 20;

necessary for salvation.” (New__________.Luke 3:21-23; Acts 8:35, 36)

Catholic Encyclopedia, 1967

edition)

Most churches are divided into__________All first-century Christians

a laity class and a clergy class, __________were ministers and shared in

which ministers to the laity._____________preaching the good news.

The clergy are usually given____________(Acts 2:17, 18;

a salary in exchange for their____________Romans 10:10-13; 16:1)

ministry and are exalted over the_________A Christian should “give free,”

laity by titles such as___________________not for a salary.

“Reverend,” “Father,” or “His___________(Matthew 10:7, 8)

Eminence.”__________________________Jesus strictly forbade the use

____________________________________of religious titles.

___________________________________(Matthew 6:2; 23:2-12;

___________________________________1 Peter 5:1-3)

Images, icons, and crosses are___________Christians must flee from

used in worship: “The images___________every sort of idolatry,

. . . of Christ, of the Virgin______________including so-called relative

Mother of God, and of the other__________worship. (Exodus 20:4, 5;

saints, are to be . . .____________________1 Corinthians 10:14;

kept in churches and due________________1 John 5:21) They worship God

reverence and honor be paid to___________not by sight but with spirit

them.” (Declaration of the_______________and truth. (John 4:23, 24;

Council of Trent [1545-63])______________2 Corinthians 5:7)

Church members are taught______________Jesus preached God’s Kingdom,

that God’s purposes will_________________not some political system,

be accomplished through politics._________.as the hope for mankind.

The late Cardinal Spellman______________.(Matthew 4:23; 6:9, 10)

stated: “There is only one road____________He refused to get involved in

to peace . . . , the highroad of   politics._____.(John 6:14, 15)

democracy.” News items report ___________His Kingdom was no part of

religion’s involvement in the______________this world; hence, his

world’s politics (even in__________________followers were to be no part of

insurrections) and her support______________the world. (John 18:36; 17:16)

of the UN as “the last hope________________James warned against friendship

of concord and peace.” ___________________with the world. (James 4:4)

• Upvote 2