Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Pranksters film people's shocked reactions at reading violent passages from the Bible - after being told they are from the Koran

umbertino

• Dutch filmmakers Alexander Spoor wanted to test prejudice
  •  
  • Filmed people reading from a Bible disguised as a Koran
  •  
  • Passages ordered *** people to be killed and women's hands cut off
  •  
  • Interviewees were shocked to learn they were reading Christian text
  •  
  • Film has had more than 2.4 million views on YouTube

By Siofra Brennan For Mailonline

Published: 14:49 GMT, 7 December 2015 | Updated: 08:23 GMT, 8 December 2015

Two Dutch filmmakers have recorded people’s horrified reactions to being read gruesome verses from the Bible - disguised as the Koran.

Director Alexander Spoor said he carried out the experiment to put Christianity under the same scrutiny Islam has received since the Paris terror attacks last months.

He took to the streets with presenter Sacha Harland to see how people reacted to passages, which they are led to believe are from the Bible, such as: 'I do not allow for a woman to teach. You will have to cut off her hand.'

The film of their experiment has been viewed more than 2.4 million times since being posted on their YouTube channel Dit Is Normaal.

At the beginning of the video, Sacha explains that recently Muslims have been accused of following a religion that has no place in Western culture.

'This made us wonder about Christianity, a religion that has influenced our culture greatly,' he says.

The pair are seen looking through a copy of the Bible, and Alexander says: 'According to this entire book, the woman has to be submissive.'

He explains that they then 'highlighted a couple of shocking verses that are in great contrast with our Western norms and values.'

The pair took to the streets and read out their selected verses.

One passage from Leviticus said: ‘If two men sleep with each other they will both have to be killed.'

A woman is seen recoiling in shock as she is read the words: 'I do not allow for a woman to teach. You will have to cut off her hand. Do not forgive her.'

Another passage threatened vengeance on anyone who disobeyed God.

'If you reject my commands and abhor my laws you will eat the flesh of your own sons and the flesh of your own daughters,' it said.

A man is seen nodding and seems unsurprised to hear the passage: 'If two men sleep with each other they will both have to be killed.'

The presenter then asks people what their initial thoughts were.

‘This sounds ridiculous,’ a young man in a baseball cap said.

'Well, I didn’t know that this kind of stuff was also in this book,' a woman with blonde hair added.

'Cutting off people’s hands, I mean apparently that’s just the way they are, but how could anyone believe in this? That’s unbelievable to me,’ another woman said.

A young man who was interviewed alongside two friends said he thought that children would be affected by this kind of teaching.

'If you’ve been raised with this book and these kind of thoughts it’s going to influence the way you think,' he said.

The woman who looked shocked by the passage on cutting off a woman's hand said: ‘To me this sounds like they want to oppress you and force you to believe what they believe.’

Sacha then asked people what the biggest differences between the Koran and the Bible were.

'Hearing this I would think the Quran is more aggressive especially with things like cutting off people’s hands,' one young man said.

'I think the Bible mostly has a lot of positive things in it,' a woman replied.

'The story in the Bible is told very differently,' one man insisted.

Another agreed that the Bible was 'a lot less harsh and a bit more peaceful'.

The interviewees went on to say what they thought of people who believed in these teachings.

'The world is changing and I think they should have to adapt to it,' a young woman said.

A man added: 'Most of our people have experience the freedom to make their own choices and freedom of speech, and having that freedom allows you to think differently.'

One woman said it bothered her that 'some people see these old writings as the absolute truth'.

Sacha asked a group of friends: 'But then couldn’t we get rid of these books?'

A female member of the group disagreed: 'Well they are really old so we can’t really do anything about them.'

He then revealed the surprise, saying: 'These beautiful verses from the Koran are actually from the Bible.

One shocked one man, laughed and said: 'What the f***?'

'Seriously?' a girl said.

One man just laughed, too surprised to say anything.

Another grimaced and said: ‘What the hell?’

'Wow, I did not see that coming,' a woman replied.

Sacha is asked: 'Are you actually for real?'

An interviewee congratulated him, saying: 'Very well done, you really got me.'

Another added: 'That is unbelievable. That is sick, that is really sick.'

One woman expressed her shock, saying she never knew this kind of content was in the Bible.

'Of course I’ve heard Bible stories when I was young and I went to a Christian school, but I really had no idea this was in there,' she explained.

'It’s all just prejudice really, a man added. ‘I always try not to be prejudiced myself but apparently I already am. It’s just something you do unconsciously.' 

2 vids and many   pic-stills in link

• Upvote 3

The Law paved the way for the Savior to show grace...anyone who does not understand the full context of the Bible (new & old testaments) would have the same reaction many on this thread are having. This article picked verses out of the Old Testament to make a point that was distorted for their own propaganda piece.

How come they didn't chose verses from the New Testament that show the true nature of God: grace, redemption, forgiveness, etc.? The reason they didn't is because it wouldn't have fit the narrative that Christianity is just like every other religion.

I will argue that there is a major difference between Christianity and other religions. Religion is man-made (and by default, satanic) in that it makes people believe that through outward displays of behavior and actions, this allows them to achieve some level of purity or acceptance that God will allow into heaven. By definition, Christianity says that no one can get to heaven by their own actions and efforts because all have sinned and fallen short of God's expectations for purity. This is the reason humanity needs a savior...no one is able to do it on their own. When people truly come to the realization of what Jesus did for them, by suffering and bleeding for our sins and transgressions, then when he says "Come follow me" people will experience life changing moments and do the things he asks us to do.

Indy

• Upvote 5

It shows the total ignorance of individual who have never read the Bible and do not know how to make a distinction in the material from the Bible.  There is a vast difference between the Old and the New Testament and the "laws" and instruction give to the ancient Hebrew which no longer apply to the Christian today.

The problem in both reading the Koran and the Bible is that you can lift passages from their context and twist their meaning.  This is what is being done by the film maker in the story.  

When individuals has no clue about the Bible, as it seems of everyone in this article, they usually make some outrageous and ignorant statements about the texts.  

This is a usual tactic of someone trying to discredit the Bible, and those who only have a limited or no knowledge of the Bible can to easily fooled into believing what is not true.

When this film maker quotes "I do not allow a woman to teach" is a passage from the New Testament and must be viewed in context of why she is not allowed to teach.  Here is the passage - 1 Timothy 2:8-15.  It is  speaking of the place of women within the NT church.  She is not to teach or preach as exercising the authority over the man because of the woman's sin in the garden of Eden.  The "cutting off her hand" has no place within the NT.  It is a passage from the OT, Deut. 25:11-12 and has nothing to do with forbidding a woman to speak.  

Plus, the passage concerning the cutting off of the woman's hand is NOT connected with her speaking or being in subjection.  The passage is found in Deut. 25:11-12  "If two men, a man and his countryman, are struggling together, and the wife of one comes near to deliver her husband from the hand of the one who is striking him, and puts out her hand and seizes his genitals, then you shall cut off her hand; you shall not show pity."  In other words, the one whom she grabs can cut off her hand before she destroys his ability to have children.  He, the one she grabs, need not show her any kindness by just holding back and let her destroy crush his testicles.  He can cut off her hand, it has nothing to do with showing forgiveness.  And here is the important point:  the one whose testicles she grabbed might would not be able to leave anyone to carry on his name.  And again, this is an Israelite and his seed might be the one to bring forth the Messiah. 

By the way, I would cut off her hand if that happened to me. 

It is ignorance and bigotry that is being displayed by this event.  The Bible and Christianity are under attack by enemies of the cross and this is just one of the ways that evil individual are trying to destroy the credibility of the Bible.   

• Upvote 2

The problem with people trying to say that Christianity is a violent as Islam is that they are unable to stay within the past few centuries.  Islam is slaughtering as we speak.  People who try this argument are not really bright.

Yup, true that bohica.

People read from "gruesome verses of the bible" yet the original article from umbertino did not mention one single chapter and verse(s) these ALLEDGED gruesome verses came from. So lets re-examine this: Umbertino makes a outlandish claim, and either declares or insinuates Christianity is violent and running amuck, still, in these modern times, and fails to provide proof by saying from which chapter and verse he gets this interpretation from. Sounds like he does not want folks to know that he may not really know anything about Christianity, The Bible, how to use the Old Testament & The New Testament to resolve what appears to be a conflict, let alone anything about Church History, or what Jesus said about false witnesses doing things in His name. Stuff like that. I may be wrong! Still no chapter and verse references. Anyone can look up Bible quotes, themes, and passages online and mis-interpret or mis-represent a verse or two to give false cover to their statement /thesis. That does not make them right. Just like everyone on DV calls for links when unique threads gets posted ... Chapter and Verses umbertino. Please.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Excellent rebuttals and clarifications Nelg, Indraman et al. 

It would serve well for Umbertino and others who view this video as 'Truth' to consider what the author of the Bible has to say about the affairs of man:

• "Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter by the gates into the city.15Outside are the dogs and the sorcerers and the immoral persons and the murderers and the idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices lying. 16"I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things for the churches. I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star."… Revelation 22:15
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1