Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Majority of American wants U.S. to deploy ground troops to Iraq, Syria

k98nights

Majority of American wants U.S. to deploy ground troops to Iraq, Syria

By REBECCA SHABAD CBS NEWS December 7, 2015, 10:13 AM

gettyimages-119376694.jpg

U.S. soldiers with the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment patrol a new ditch they have dug to protect the base from attack on July 19, 2011 in Iskandariya, Babil Province Iraq. As the deadline for the departure of the remaining American forces in Iraq approaches, Iraqi politicians have agreed to meet in two weeks time in order to give a final decision about extending the U.S. troops' presence beyond the end of the 2011 deadline. Violence against foreign troops has recently picked-up with June being the worst month in combat-related deaths for the military in Iraq in more than two years. Currently about 46,000 U.S. soldiers remain in Iraq.

Spencer Platt/Getty Images
  •  

A majority of Americans say the U.S. should send ground troops to Iraq and Syria to fight the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS), according to a CNN/ORC survey released Sunday night.

In the poll conducted before the San Bernardino shooting last week, 53 percent said the U.S. should send ground troops to fight ISIS.

The survey, released as President Obama delivered his prime time speech Sunday on terrorism, found 68 percent believe the U.S. military response against ISIS hasn't been aggressive enough.

Two-thirds said they disapprove of Mr. Obama's handling of ISIS and 60 percent said they disapprove of his handling of terrorism in general, up 9 percentage points since May.

On ground troops, 36 percent who said they lean Democratic said the U.S. should deploy ground troops and 69 percent of people who lean Republican said the same.

Fifty-two percent of Democrats, 66 percent of independents and 90 percent of Republicans said the U.S. military strategy isn't aggressive enough.

But even though there is a majority of skeptical Democrats, 57 percent of Democrats said things are going well in the fight against ISIS compared to 19 percent of Republicans who said the same.

Eighty-one percent said they believed terrorists associated with ISIS who are capable of launching an attack in the U.S. and 61 percent said it is very or somewhat likely that there would be acts of terrorism in the U.S. over the next several weeks.

Defense Secretary Ash Carter told Congress last week that the U.S. is sending additional special operations forces to Iraq and Syria.

The poll surveyed 1,020 adults between November 27 and December 1 with a 3 percentage point margin of error.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/majority-of-american-wants-u-s-to-deploy-ground-troops-to-iraq-syria/?

• Upvote 1

I do think we need to send more than what we have already for safety of our soldiers.  I do think every UN/NATO country should also send some.  With that said, I will say that we need to let the Iraqi military do the fighting and our troops just support and defend them if they need help.  They need to learn to defend themselves and have come a long way.  I feel that if we let them do their fight and assist them in winning, it will give them a sense of accomplishment and a lot of pride that will be good for their country.I do agree that if WE go in and oust ISIS/ISIL, that they will reform or another one will form in its place, but if THEY oust them, they would be more apt to not let it get this bad again.  Goes back to the old saying "Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day.  Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime".  I think that applies here.  JMO.

• Upvote 3

The Americans are not told that it would be illegal unless Assad asked them. Assad has only asked Russia to intervene, Russia has a no fly zone

over Syria and the U.S., Brits, & France  and or whomever cannot fly sorties unless cleared  with Russia.

So far Abadi has blocked the U.K. & U.S. from sending troops to Iraq unilaterally.

We have MSP 'Main Stream Propaganda' not MSM News.

• Upvote 2