Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Saturday night Puzzle

The Machine

Each treasure chest is *incorrectly* labelled.

From which chest should you pick a single coin to determine which of the chests has 100 gold coins?

7db51eebc82111559fd1074cd83ca7d4045c4005

In front of you are 3 chests: 
Chest A has been labelled with "100 gold coins", 
Chest B has been labelled with "50 gold and 50 silver coins", 
Chest C has been labelled with "100 silver coins".

You are told that each label is incorrectly placed because they describe the contents of another chest. To help you determine which chest truly contains 100 gold coins, you are allowed to randomly pick a coin from any chest.

Which chest should you pick a coin from?

• Upvote 3

the Correct answer is "B"

here's why, as "B" is marked 50% Gold & 50% silver it means that "B" is either all gold or all silver.

therefore if you pick "B" and it is silver then obviously "C" has to be all gold, as "A" is marked 100% gold it cant be gold.

So.. I'll take the chance of getting the motherlode.

Pick B and you never will..

• Upvote 1

Uh.. duh.. C.

No matter what you will get 100 gold coins.

Pick B and all you may get is silver..unless you got lots of friends that need new teeth...lol

the object of the puzzle is not to find the the box with all gold but to chose which box you would pick if you could only pick one box to figure out what is in all the other boxes 

So.. I'll take the chance of getting the motherlode.

Pick B and you never will..

the gold is either in "B" or "C" but "B" being labeled (incorrectly) 50/50 gold and silver tells you it is either all gold or all silver.

therefore making it easier to tell which one is all gold

if you picked "C" there is a chance that "C" is the 50/50 box and there is a chance that you pick a gold coin from "C"

Edited by The Machine
  • Upvote 1

Since the Gold and Silver Box will have either Gold or Silver, you would pick it to determine which of the three boxes to keep.  When you pick Gold and Silver (B ), and you get a Gold Coin, you would keep the Gold and Silver Box.  If you pick Gold & Silver (B ) , and you get a Silver Coin, you would pick to keep the Silver Box.

G&S = S or G

G = G&S or S

S = G or G&S

the object of the puzzle is not to find the the box with all gold but to chose which box you would pick if you could only pick one box to figure out what is in all the other boxes 

the gold is either in "B" or "C" but "B" being labeled (incorrectly) 50/50 gold and silver tells you it is either all gold or all silver.

therefore making it easier to tell which one is all gold

if you picked "C" there is a chance that "C" is the 50/50 box and there is a chance that you pick a gold coin from "C"

Exactly.

So no matter what you get gold.

50 gold coins is far more valuable than 100 silver.

I don't care what's the other boxes, I'm sticking with the biggest take.

I'd be torqued to get a lousy 100 silvers worth $950, when 50 golds are $60K, heh, I'd even let you have the 50 silvers just for being a good guy...lol