Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

10 signs you were or are clearly in the military.

Markinsa

10 signs you were or are clearly in the military.

We all know the tell-tale signs of a military service member: high-and-tight haircut, camo backpack, polo shirt and cargo shorts combination, unit t-shirts or hats, decals on cars, and of course, “Affliction” t-shirts. These are all easy ways to spot military folks in public places. And while many of us try not to stand out, there are still subtle indicators. Most civilians would never notice these things, but they are dead giveaways to those who have served. Here are the top ten.

1. Walking fast. You might be doing a great job of blending in to your civilian surroundings, but your walk is always going to give you away. Military personnel walk with a purpose, as if their trip to the grocery store is actually a Pentagon press briefing.

2. Hair. Broke your habit of getting a high and tight? Good for you. But that leaves you two options: the fade and the classic “officer or pilot hair.” Yes, we see you pushing the edges of the “three inches on the top” rule as proscribed in Army Regulation 670-1.

3. Eating fast. Habits are hard to kick. And rarely in the military did you ever have ample time to appreciate your food even if you wanted to.

4. The power stance. Noncomissioned officers and officers are easy to spot: Just look for the person attempting to own the room through the “thumbs through the belt power” stance or the “crossed arms and not leaning against anything” stance.

5. Jargon. Just try not to say “roger” or “negative” in conversations. Just try. Eventually, your language will out you.

6. Walking. There is no way that a group of military members can take a casual stroll down a sidewalk without eventually falling into step. Even if you try not to, you will.

7. Sunglasses. Congratulations, you’re not wearing Oakleys or G.I. frames. Well done. But you’re still wearing sunglasses all the time. Even when it is cloudy out.

8. Absurd politeness. You can easily pick out service members by their over usage of “sir” and “ma’am.” It is a credit to the military’s discipline that a cashier receives the same clipped tones and politeness a four-star general would.

9. Scanning crowds. Go to a party and you’re bound to see the one person who is constantly scanning usually somewhere where they can see the whole room. And God help the person acting suspicious because the military promotes being confrontational.

10. Sleeping anywhere. Military personnel can sleep approximately anywhere, in any weather, on anything. They also come out of it rapidly and coherently, which paid dividends for the people aboard the Paris-bound train with the gunman aboard who was overpowered by two U.S. service members.

• Upvote 6

Hahaha! Guilty on all counts! Just yesterday I was walking with a friend and she kept saying "Slow down! Whats the hurry?" My only reply was, "Marines. How else does one walk?"

I even use "Roger that" in SKYPE type! Hahahaha

Is there a cure or am I forever broke? You know when I finished the military, I promised myself to get a mane, hippy-like. Dude, I CANT bring myself to do it. Short on the sides and a bit longer on the top. Ask TD, he's seen me in SKYPE. Still running a 300 PFT (Marines fitness test) and I dont adjusted for age. Just for giggles, I popped out 30 regulation pull-ups the other day and I'm an old dude. it gets in your blood! hahahaha

Good post! Thanks for the laugh! cheers

Edited by Thaiexpat
  • Upvote 2

OK - I'm actually only 9 for 10. I don't wear sunglasses that often. However - my daily prescription wear glasses are aviator style, so I'm giving myself a half point for it.

And ThaiExpat is right - he looks like a young Gunny who is on the verge of needing a haircut.

I can't do the pull -ups like he can, but I do crank out between 30-50 regulation push ups each day as part of my routine....even though I'm currently on "profile." Broke myself training for a duathlon. Should have switched our running shoes sooner...wound up with plantar fasciitis in my left foot. Believe me - it sucks!  No running, jumping or extended walking for me for a few months. Need to get myself a real bike because the exercise bike is getting boring.

• Upvote 1

Sorry to hear of your injury, TD. Too much time in "tracks" makes you soft! hahaaha. Just busting your ba--s.

Look into Power Plate. It is vibrational device which can work your muscles similar to doing the actual exercise. We have one here and all the folks with limited mobility, rehab-issues, chronic diseases, etc. use it. The short on it is: the specific vibrations cause your muscle to relax/tighten to maintain posture. In addition, it causes lymphatic support and oxygenation of the tissues which is vital to a speedy recovery. I have patients with severe respiratory conditions (COPD, etc) able to do this and are noticing improvements with just a few sessions. Check it out: it really works. Start taking Transdermal Magnesium also. This is Mg Oil. Just spray it on the pain areas, rub it in and let it do its magic. I'll send you a paper on it in email.

Speaking of running, how many of your sick puppies, call cadence when you run? (I mean in your mind, at least) After I read this a few days ago, I went for a short  run and found myself recalling those cadences we used to run to in the Marines. I know a ton of them and was "Da Man" when it came to being called-out to keep the motivation up. Forever broke, I guess.

Here's to your fast return to the field. When you are LC, let me know, we can strap on ALICE and go humping! Cheers

ThaiExpat - I'll look into those things. Thanks. I've been using my "Mojo Cream" as you call it - we now have some science showing it increases blood circulation to the dermal layers by as much as 50% in 15 minutes - plus it works in deeper over time. Lot's of athletes are finding it great for post workout - as well as the skin thing we've talked about. I'll exchange papers with you.

And yes - usually about the half mile mark, cadences will start running through my head....(I could go to LA just like this...All the way to LA, just won't quit.....double time...so fine!)

And as far as a ruck hump - challenge accepted! I just need to  get to Thailand now...working on that!

Another one I still catch myself doing - and I'm sure most of the Iraq and Afghan vets do to - 1/3/5 meter scans for IEDs before getting out of a vehicle.  That and scanning rooftops for out of place silhouettes....

EagleEye - I'm with you on the salute/hand over the heart also - and taps. I still do military funerals and the hair stands up on the back of my neck every time I hear it.

11.  Using the military radio spelling technique when on the phone, the version defined by your era of service.  Some of us mishmash the WWII and NATO versions, e.g.:  Able, Baker, Charlie v. Alpha, Bravo, Charlie.  Its the only way to be understood by many of the ESL and ETL teleservices operators.