Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Father of Virginia reporter shot on air reaffirms push for gun control

umbertino

• Andy Parker, father of Alison Parker: ‘They messed with the wrong family’
  •  
  • Parker hopes for ‘tipping point’ in debate as he calls for background checks

Martin Pengelly in New York

Sunday 30 August 2015 15.34 BST

Andy Parker, the father of the news reporter who was shot dead with her cameraman live on air in Virginia on Wednesday, on Sunday vowed again to succeed in his push for gun control legislation, saying: “They messed with the wrong family.”

Alison Parker, 24, and Adam Ward, 27, worked for WDBJ7, a Virginia station. They were shot dead by Vester Flanagan III, an embittered former colleague. Their interviewee, Vicki Gardner, was seriously wounded but survived.

Flanagan, who filmed the shooting and posted footage to social media, shot himself dead hours later.

On CNN on Sunday, Parker said he and his daughter’s boyfriend, Chris Hurst, wanted to lead a concerted push for reform on issues including basic background checks on all gun purchases, and cited offers of support from gun control activists and groups.

“I have been in contact with Mark Kelly, who is Gabby Giffords’ husband, who was very gracious to reach out to me,” he said. “And we’re going to get together in Washington. Senator [Mark] Warner has also, you know, told me: ‘Whatever we can do to help and facilitate that, let me know.’ Mayor [Michael] Bloomberg’s people have reached out.”

Parker added: “You always think there’s a tipping point. We always thought that when Gabby was shot, something would happen; with Sandy Hook, something would happen; with Aurora, something would happen, and it never did.”

Parker’s rhetorical approach echoed that of Senator Bernie Sanders, the independent Vermont senator who had appeared on the programme in the preceding interview to repeat his message against the “same old, same old” procession of politics in Washington.

“I was listening to Bernie Sanders … and I like what he said,” Parker said, after promising to “hold the politicians’ feet to the fire”.

“He said, and it applied to another matter, ‘same old, same old’ doesn’t work, and it applies to this issue. The reason he’s doing so well in the polls and Donald Trump is doing so well is that people are tired of the same old, same old.

“The difference in this situation is [such feeling has] got to apply to sensible gun control legislation. Controlling the loopholes in gun shows, doing those kind of things.”

Sanders has been criticised by other candidates for the Democratic presidential nomination for allegedly being relatively lax on gun control. On Sunday he pointed to a lifetime voting grade from the NRA which he said was a “D-minus”, and advocated legislation on background checks, semi-automatic weapons and gunshow loopholes.

Sanders said: “I do not accept that I have been weak on this issue. In fact, I have been strong on this issue.

“In fact, coming from a rural state which is not strong on gun control, I think I can get beyond the noise, all of these arguments, people shouting at each other, and come up with real, constructive gun control legislation which most significantly gets guns out of the hands of people who should not have them.”

Parker pointed to California for examples of successful gun control legislation, contrasting it to what he said was inaction in his own state.

He also rejected any discussion of the man who killed his daughter, and attempts this week by 2016 candidates including Trump to focus on mental health policy, saying “there’s a linkage there” between such problems and guns.

Parker said his daughter “was one of you guys, one of the media”.

“I think people recognising who the victim was and what she represented and how kind and sweet and innocent she was, I think this time it’s going to be different,” he added.

“I’ve done as many interviews probably as I can this week and I don’t want to be like Howard Beale from Network and in essence say: ‘We’re mad as hell and we’re not going to take it anymore’ …

“He got overexposed, I don’t want that to happen. I want to come back when we have real news to report.

“I’m counting on you guys in the media to be there and support this and keep this on the front burner, because it has to be. It can’t go away, it can’t be forgotten, and I’m not going to let that happen.”

In conclusion, Parker added: “I’m telling you, they messed with the wrong family.”

1000.jpg?w=700&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10
Andy Parker, father of WDBJ7 reporter Alison Parker.
Photograph: AP

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/aug/30/alison-parker-father-virginia-reporter-shot-on-air-gun-control

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

In conclusion, Parker added: “I’m telling you, they messed with the wrong family.”

Who are "they"?

This man is emotionally distressed, justifiably... but should be grieving instead of lobbying.  He himself is promoting the left's "same old, same old", as much as he criticizes the other side of the argument, as well as dismissing any mental health connection.  And in that, there is only rhetoric, no solutions.  He needs to grieve with his outrage... not condemn others' 2nd amendment rights. 

• Upvote 2

In Florida, we have background checks.  I think the NRA has come out in support of them as long as the info is not kept like some type of gun registry which could help in gun confiscations.  Prayers for those families but this guy should have been on someone's radar.  Virginia has some strict gun laws as does France.  How did that work out?  Canada, Australia and the U.K. has all seen an increase in violent crime since gun confiscation.  If someone breaks into my house while I am there or tries to carjack me, they are not going to like the results.  Ever since the courts have ruled out keeping the mentally ill (dangerous ones) in mental wards, the problems with them have increased.  Also, isn't it interesting that some of the most dangerous cities in the country, including California, have the most restrictive laws.

• Upvote 1

There is something very wrong about this man...

Slain Journalist’s Father: ‘I Will Probably Have to Get a Gun’

Andy Parker, the father of Alison Parker, one of the WDBJ journalists killed live on TV Wednesday morning, spoke to reporters Friday in Roanoke, VA. The grieving father shared that his daughter, just 24 years old, was a ‘force of nature’ and touched the lives of so many around her. He also spoke at length about his mission to change our nation’s gun laws.

“We need to keep crazy people from getting guns,” Parker said. “This senseless murder will not go in vain.”

He specifically criticized the NRA, saying that while several of the organization’s members support background checks, many politicians associated with the group get nothing done.

Fox News reporter Rick Leventhal delicately pointed out that Alison’s murderer, Vester Lee Flanagan, passed a background check before working at the WDBJ news station. Parker responded by commenting on Flanagan’s disruptive behavior at the station, something the station manager, Jeff Marks, described in detail on Thursday.

At one point, Parker looked straight at the camera and challenged President Obama to enact gun laws, saying he would help him accomplish that goal.

However, Parker also acknowledged that he will ‘probably have to get a gun’ for safety reasons, because he is now a figure in the media.  :huh:

Parker then spoke to the press directly, urging them to not forget this tragedy.

“The media can’t let this die,” he said. “This can’t be the story for three days and then say, ‘Oh gee, let’s see what Donald Trump has to say.””

The father said his loved ones will hold a ‘celebration of life’ for Alison this Monday. Thoughts and prayers go out to their whole family.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortneyobrien/2015/08/28/slain-journalists-father-i-will-probably-have-to-get-a-gun-n2045089

• Upvote 3

He lost a son.

of course he`s angry and venting on what ever he can vent on.

I feel very bad for him.

He has no bearing whats so ever on any kind of gun control.

So he can say what he pleases.

He`s not a threat.

The Libritards will use whatever it takes to further their agenda against the dreadful gun.

Its in the halls of justice and the rooms at the capital filled with the politicians that we have to keep a eye on.

They are the game changers.

Not this grieving nobody.  

• Upvote 1

This smells like Sandy Hook.  I found it quite odd that this "dad" was giving interviews only hours after his daughter was murdered.  I have two daughters and two sons.  I can't imagine being able to compose myself long enough to give interviews RIGHT after one of them was murdered.

• Upvote 5

I think the question should be what is in a background check?

Notice if you look at Texas it says you can't have a conceal carry if you are labeled anything like bipolar for example... it doesn't say you can't own a gun, it says you can't have a conceal carry... am i understanding that correctly?

http://www.ncsl.org/research/civil-and-criminal-justice/possession-of-a-firearm-by-the-mentally-ill.aspx

Also this shooting was a hoax, the more people that wake up to that the better everyone will be...

They are actors, the guy has a white hand and i didn't see any blood from anyone and the shooter was supposedly shooting hollow points...fake fake fake, its msm, all msm is a joke. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Op-vQyZij0

http://www.activistpost.com/2015/08/is-the-virginia-shooting-hoax-blowing-up-in-the-msms-face.html

• Upvote 1

Also this shooting was a hoax, the more people that wake up to that the better everyone will be...

They are actors, the guy has a white hand and i didn't see any blood from anyone and the shooter was supposedly shooting hollow points...fake fake fake, its msm, all msm is a joke. 

http://www.activistpost.com/2015/08/is-the-virginia-shooting-hoax-blowing-up-in-the-msms-face.html

Leave it to the NRA and it's video production department to bring the reynolds wrap masses the truth.   :rolleyes: 

GO RV, then BV

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I think the question should be what is in a background check?

Notice if you look at Texas it says you can't have a conceal carry if you are labeled anything like bipolar for example... it doesn't say you can't own a gun, it says you can't have a conceal carry... am i understanding that correctly?

http://www.ncsl.org/research/civil-and-criminal-justice/possession-of-a-firearm-by-the-mentally-ill.aspx

That was the dumbest video I have ever watched.

seriously ?

so the guy was a politician and a actor.

So that means his daughter of the same name couldnt have been killed by a gunmen.

:lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:    Only in america folks

Edited by dog53
  • Upvote 1