Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Iraq war was not a mistake

Iraq war was not a mistake   Exclusive: Amir George assures U.S. military personnel of their sacrifice's impact

I, for one, am sick and tired of hearing how we failed in Iraq.

I was there – nothing could be further from the truth.

My heart grieves for the precious families of the 4,888 brave men and women who gave their lives to liberate and rebuild Iraq.

I am broken for the 35,000 every day facing the terrible consequences of their mostly severe injuries.

Two and a half million served in Iraq, and many continue to face the nightmare of PTSD and other ailments.

What I grieve most for, though, is the terrible, terrible pain of feeling it was all a terrible mistake.

It was not!

To each of our heroes, from one who was there during Saddam’s time and after, you should know that it was a resounding success, and your sacrifice liberated and gave hope to 25 million fathers, mothers, elderly, children and more who were broken by 40 years of a terrorist dictator and had lost hope.

Let me address the main points that are constantly bandied about so you, the precious ones who have suffered so much, can be reminded of what you already know but have begun to doubt, so one-sided is the discussion.

First is the constantly used word “invasion.”

I sat in a press conference where former Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebadi was confronted by an American reporter who began his question by apologizing as an “American” for “invading” Iraq.

In the middle of the conversation, Zebadi suddenly interrupted him.

“Are you an American?” He asked before the packed room.

“How dare you say that! Invaded? Invaded?” he continued, getting angrier by the minute.

“We were liberated from 40 years of terror where a madman and his crazy sons slaughtered on a whim 1 million of our people.”

“Invaded? Shame on you,” he continued.

Our family are Assyrian Christians from the northern Iraqi village of Mahoudi, and I was there during Sadaam’s time and at Liberation.

It was so bad in the days before liberation that there was going to be mass suicide in Baghdad if the Americans did not come. The people just could not on if help didn’t come!

My uncle put it this way: “Saddam has slaughtered a million of our people. We cannot stand it anymore. The U.N. will not help us. Everybody promises but does not come through – our only hope is the Americans.

“Let them bomb – it is the only way to get rid of him! I would happily give my life for my grandson to be free!”

And, yes, the people literally did dance in the streets so precious was their liberation – I was there!

Second is the constant refrain, “There were no weapons of mass destruction,” so it was all based on a false premise.

This simple message is an unconscionable affront to our brave men and women.

Let me quote again from the same response from Hoshyar Zebari, former Iraqi foreign minister, in response to the clueless reporter.

“Weapons of mass destruction? Of course they were there! Would you like me to tell of the ones flown into Iran, those buried in the desert in Iraq, or those trucked into Syria?”

“Sit down” he fumed to the hapless reporter!

I was in central Baghdad when I came across a group of our troops.

I posed the simple question, “Have you found any WMD?”

To this day I cannot forget their pained reply.

“We are not allowed to answer, sir,” they promptly replied with a look that said, “We are desperate to say something.”

After the main group left, one came back and said, “I cant answer any questions but I can ask you a question.”

It was a strange conversation in which he said with a twinkle in his eye, “What would you do if you found something and in fact it belonged to you?”

Trying to figure out what he was saying so cryptically, I suddenly realized that what he seemed be saying was what I had heard from so many others, i.e., that the WMD had of course been found, just as the foreign minister had said, but most of it was in fact ours and our allies from a time when Saddam was at war with Iran and our ally.

“So you mean you found it all, but in fact it was ours?”

He smiled and did a “zip” across his lips. Satisfied, he walked away.

What happened in fact was a decision, either way with consequences.

Announce they were there and have to explain why they were ours, or deny they were there and be accused of going in without reason.

Someone chose the latter.

Finally, the whole concept that it was all a collective failure.

The answer, again, is very simple.

It was days after liberation. People were dancing in the streets and joy was all around.

I was talking with one of my relatives who went on to be part of the government.

With a sad look in his eyes, he said, “We know the Americans. They are good, but they are very impatient. They will help us, but they will grow impatient and will leave us, and we will be worse of than before.”

I am reminded of that nearly every day.

This is the fundamental point.

Read the inspiring story of the Christian Iraqis who pre-dated Muslims and have struggled for survival – Amir George’s “Liberating Iraq: The Untold Story of the Assyrian Christians”

Iraq was liberated, but exactly like in Vietnam, the victory was squandered by an incompetent State Department and other ideologues.

One conversation we heard repeatedly in various forms went like this:

The State Department: “So how can we help you? What kind of a country do you want to have?”

The Iraqis: “Oh, we just want to be like you! We just want to be normal!”

To which our heroic State Department responded in so may words: “Oh, no, you don’t want to be like us! We are racist, colonial and arrogant.”

The puzzled look on the Iraqis is something I will never forget.

Iraq was liberated, loved and given hope by 2.5 million brave and kind Americans who paved the roads, built hospitals, schools and transformed a people destroyed by 40 years of terror, as they did in Japan, Korea, Europe and more.

Iraq was destroyed and hope betrayed by an “army of fools” who took the place of the heroes and were hopelessly anti-American and ideologically could not understand the simple fact that for all her failures and mistakes, America is still the hope of the world.

Can Iraq be saved?

Yes, it can!

While many terrible mistakes were made, 25 million people watched in awe as 2.5 million Americans – nearly one for every 10 people – taught them to hope again. Their lives were transformed!

They fell in love with America’s best and brightest!

It was a resounding success, and simply letting the same brave men and women do their job, unhindered, Iraq can be saved and the terrible price paid in blood and treasure redeemed.

Yes, the sacrifice was not in vain!

You can be proud!

The last time I was in Iraq, I came out of the airport and a man walked over and without a word put four fingers to his lips in a typical Middle Eastern gesture, looked up at the sky and said, “God bless George Bush!”

And why not?

Twenty-five million people had been liberated!

God bless you – all 2.5 million of you!

It was not in vain!

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2015/08/iraq-war-was-not-a-mistake/#JeJToDRLfTVfWlkR.99

• Upvote 13

Thanks SD ! It was a very moving post especial when I had several close relatives there as well. Our soldiers are the greatest on planet earth and anyone severely wounded or incapacitated in battle or because of battle should be compensated for life, because they placed their life in harms way for all of us. God Bless our Soldiers !  :salute:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Well the CIA did sponsor a coup that put the Baathist party in power in the first place. 

While many have thought that Saddam first became involved with U.S. intelligence agencies at the start of the September 1980 Iran-Iraq war, his first contacts with U.S. officials date back to 1959, when he was part of a CIA-authorized six-man squad tasked with assassinating then Iraqi Prime Minister Gen. Abd al-Karim Qasim.

https://www.globalpolicy.org/component/content/article/169/36408.html

Then, on Feb. 8, 1963, the conspirators staged a coup in Baghdad. For a time the government held out, but eventually Kassem gave up, and after a swift trial was shot; his body was later shown on Baghdad television. Washington immediately befriended the successor regime. "Almost certainly a gain for our side," Robert Komer, a National Security Council aide, wrote to Kennedy the day of the takeover.

As its instrument the C.I.A. had chosen the authoritarian and anti-Communist Baath Party, in 1963 still a relatively small political faction influential in the Iraqi Army. According to the former Baathist leader Hani Fkaiki, among party members colluding with the C.I.A. in 1962 and 1963 was Saddam Hussein, then a 25-year-old who had fled to Cairo after taking part in a failed assassination of Kassem in 1958.

https://www.globalpolicy.org/component/content/article/169/36407.html

In this excerpt, Hanna Batatu describes the ferocious violence of the Ba`athists when they came to power in their first coup in Iraq in early 1963. Of special interest is his mention of the lists, which he believes U.S. intelligence provided to the coup-makers. Evidently, the CIA helped bring Saddam Hussein's thuggish party to power and fatally weakened the prospects for Iraqi democracy. Some reliable sources believe that more than ten thousand were killed and more than a hundred thousand arrested in the coup and the bloody weeks that followed, described by historians Peter and Marion Sluglett as "some of the most terrible violence hitherto experienced in the postwar Middle East."

https://www.globalpolicy.org/component/content/article/169/36379.html

Said K. Aburish, a former Iraqi government official, stated the following on Public Broadcasting System's (PBS) programFrontline: The Survival of Saddam on Jan. 25, 2000:

"The U.S. involvement in the coup against Kassem [General Abdel Karim Kassem] in Iraq in 1963 was substantial. There is evidence that CIA agents were in touch with army officials who were involved in the coup.

There is evidence that they [CIA] supplied the conspirators with lists of people who had to be eliminated immediately in order to ensure success. The relationship between the Americans and the Ba'ath Party at that moment in time was very close indeed. And that continued for some time after the coup.

I have documented over 700 people who were eliminated, mostly on an individual basis, after the 1963 coup. And they were eliminated based on lists supplied by the CIA to the Ba'ath Party. So the CIA and the Ba'ath were in the business of eliminating communists and leftists who were dangerous to the Ba'ath's takeover.

And what gave the whole program of acquiring unconventional weapons an impetus was in the 1970s. The main aim of the West was to pry Saddam away from Russia. And in order to do that , they were bribing him. They were giving him everything he wanted. In the 1980s, the reasons changed [for helping Saddam]. ...Khomeini appeared on the scene and the West decided that Saddam was the lesser of two evils. And they continued to support him and give him what he wanted. In this case, including credit."

Jan. 25, 2000 - Said K. Aburish gstar.gif

http://usiraq.procon.org/view.answers.php?questionID=000887

Another very good example of a CIA-organized regime change was a coup in 1963 that employed political assassination, mass imprisonment, torture and murder. This was the military coup that first brought Saddam Hussein's beloved Ba'ath Party to power in Iraq. At the time, Richard Helms was Director for Plans at the CIA. That is the top CIA position responsible for covert actions, like organizing coups. Helms served in that capacity until 1966, when he was made Director.

In the quotations collected below, the name of the leader who was assassinated is spelled variously as Qasim, Qassim and Kassem. But, however you spell his name, when he took power in a popularly-backed coup in 1958, he certainly got recognized in Washington. He carried out such anti-American and anti-corporatist policies as starting the process of nationalizing foreign oil companies in Iraq, withdrawing Iraq from the US-initiated right-wing Baghdad Pact (which included another military-run, US-puppet state, i.e., Pakistan) and decriminalizing the Iraqi Communist Party. Despite these actions, and more likely because of them, he was Iraq's most popular leader. He had to go!

In 1959, there was a failed assassination attempt on Qasim. The failed assassin was none other than a young Saddam Hussein. In 1963, a CIA-organized coup did successfully assassinate Qasim and Saddam's Ba'ath Party came to power for the first time. Saddam returned from exile in Egypt and took up the key post as head of Iraq's secret service. The CIA then provided the new pliant, Iraqi regime with the names of thousands of communists, and other leftist activists and organizers. Thousands of these supporters of Qasim and his policies were soon dead in a rampage of mass murder carried out by the CIA's close friends in Iraq.

http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/51/217.html

Edited by Bandit795

No matter how many facts and eye witness accounts, liberals will still stay that Iraq was a huge mistake, there were no WMD, etc and will blame George Bush until they die. They completely miss the fact that he had scores of intelligent military advisers assisting him and millions of people desperately needed help, and America (a group decision) responded to their cry. Obama destroyed a stable situation in Iraq by doing the exact opposite of what his military intelligence told him to do, which was to keep a peace keeping force behind. Obama is so drunk with power and his un-earned peace prize, that he ignores experts with years of military experience and does whatever he likes, the consequences in this case was birth or ISIS. Bottom line.. I would rather have a president that listens and works with his advisers, than one who ignores and fires them when they don't agree. 

• Upvote 4

No matter how many facts and eye witness accounts, liberals will still stay that Iraq was a huge mistake, there were no WMD, etc and will blame George Bush until they die. They completely miss the fact that he had scores of intelligent military advisers assisting him and millions of people desperately needed help, and America (a group decision) responded to their cry.

So it didn't have anything to do with his decision a few years earlier to sell oil in Euro's instead of the dollar? Let's not kid ourselves here.

So it didn't have anything to do with his decision a few years earlier to sell oil in Euro's instead of the dollar? Let's not kid ourselves here.

That could be a causal factor among many, removing a dictator that was committing genocide was the main reason. In the meantime Obama leaves death and destruction in his wake, both here and abroad, i.e. Ferguson, Iraq etc. etc.

• Upvote 3

That could be a causal factor among many, removing a dictator that was committing genocide was the main reason. In the meantime Obama leaves death and destruction in his wake, both here and abroad, i.e. Ferguson, Iraq etc. etc.

Then why did they support him while he was gassing Iran? 

http://foreignpolicy.com/2013/08/26/exclusive-cia-files-prove-america-helped-saddam-as-he-gassed-iran/

And why haven't they done anything about other genocides? Like Rwanda or Darfur for example? 

• Downvote 1

Money is the ONLY reason there is war. Bankers ensure that the U.S. and other governments always stay in war so that they can keep borrowing money (billion and trillions) to purchase weapons and keep the military industrial complex alive and kicking. Also to secure other countries resources (more profits) and to make big money on changes in currency like with the dinar here (more profits). 

• Downvote 4

Then why did they support him while he was gassing Iran? 

http://foreignpolicy.com/2013/08/26/exclusive-cia-files-prove-america-helped-saddam-as-he-gassed-iran/

And why haven't they done anything about other genocides? Like Rwanda or Darfur for example? 

Do you honestly believe that people like you would buy into any reason to go to war again, under almost any circumstances?  If you are going to whine about Iraq, others like you will whine about Rwanda and Darfur if we go in there. 

Edited by Francie26
  • Upvote 1

Money is the ONLY reason there is war. Bankers ensure that the U.S. and other governments always stay in war so that they can keep borrowing money (billion and trillions) to purchase weapons and keep the military industrial complex alive and kicking. Also to secure other countries resources (more profits) and to make big money on changes in currency like with the dinar here (more profits). 

That is such a foolish statement. There are as many reasons to go to war as there are people alive.  Do you ever get into an argument with a family member? If so, then you are human, and humans have all kinds of reasons to argue, and sometimes, simply to fight with each other. And many of those reasons are fine and noble causes. Certainly not all . . . but many. . . .

Edited by Francie26
  • Upvote 1

It is tragic the destruction of Iraq, the dictatorship of Saddam and the affects on our countrymen.

However, the reasons we were told to go in were falsified to control oil. Look at the NBC doc which follows the paper trails of once too secret internal communication verifying this. It is not our role to be the world police. Of you feel for the Iraqi people having a dictator why are we not caring about Tibet which was raped and stolen by the Chinese forcing millions to become refugees from the most peaceful country and culture that existed. And we stood by and watched. Why? They have no oil.

We had no right to invade another country. It was wrong because the reasons were for greed under the guise of freedom.

That is such a foolish statement. There are as many reasons to go to war as there are people alive.

For example?

Do you ever get into an argument with a family member? If so, then you are human, and humans have all kinds of reasons to argue, and sometimes, simply to fight with each other.
And many of those reasons are fine and noble causes. Certainly not all . . . but many. . . .

Name one noble reason.

To stop the genocide of the German Jews maybe?

Yes, the Genocide of the German Jews, partly sponsored and facilitated by U.S. and other allied countries' corporations: 

http://reformed-theology.org/html/books/wall_street/

Top American industrialists and financiers named in this book are covered by the categories listed above. Henry Ford and Edsel Ford respectively contributed money to Hitler and profited from German wartime production. Standard Oil of New Jersey, General Electric, General Motors, and I.T.T. certainly made financial or technical contributions which comprise prima facie evidence of "participating in planning or carrying out Nazi enterprises."

There is, in brief, evidence which suggests:

(a) cooperation with the Wehrmacht (Ford Motor Company, Chase Bank, Morgan Bank);

(b ) aid to the Nazi Four Year Plan and economic mobilization for war (Standard Oil of New Jersey);

© creating and equipping the Nazi war machine (I.T.T.);

(d) stockpiling critical materials for the Nazis (Ethyl Corporation);

(e) weakening the Nazis' potential enemies (American I.G. Farben);

and,

(f) carrying on of propaganda, intelligence, and espionage (American I.G. Farben and Rockefeller public-relations man Ivy Lee).

Edited by Bandit795
  • Downvote 1