Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Abadi cleaning house!!!!

rockfl9

never could figure out how 3 VPs was going to work?? if the pres died were they going to flip a coin??

A PM, Cabinet type of government doesn't usually have them.

I suppose that since Maliki was fired he looses his immunity from prosecution altogether.

Getting support from Al-Sistani and Al Sadr really seals the deal'

The "Where did you get this:" rule, is meant to uncover corruption and theft. Unfortunately they can't recover the majority of the money that left the country or simple squandered. 

The problem with completing "projects" is that  few if any Iraqi's are trained and experienced for that kind of work. The Islamic life style doesn't match up with the 24/7 management that is required. The  Saudis, Kuwaiti and Qutari have solved the problem by hiring non-muslim managers to do that kind of work. The Iraqi tried to keep the work in country ( everywhere except oil) and as we see now a lot of time and money was wasted. 

Maybe the "iron fist" directive will allow Abadi to change that. Certainly there can be little progress toward attracting private industry without reliable electric power.

I guess that it's possible, like I've said and many others have said, absolute power absolutely corrupts. But that being said for the time being he is the lesser of evil. That's why we put Malaki in power because of Saddam. Every change that has been made brings more hope for the Iraqi people. Abadi will prevail and as long as he doesn't succumb to foolishness, he should be able to lead Iraq to greener pastures. This has been the way since the beginning of time and because they have a global commodity and reportedly more, Iraq will be scrutinized by the world. That may be enough to keep them in line.

• Upvote 1

Abadi is positioning himself to become dictator of Iraq by consolidating his position and concentrating power. Welcome to Saddam v. 2.0.

"Just give me the power and I can fix this mess."

Uh, huh.

It if it moves this investment/speculation closer to a resolution............i'm good. And who's to say he wouldn't be a better alternative to Maliki? Time will tell

I guess that it's possible, like I've said and many others have said, absolute power absolutely corrupts. But that being said for the time being he is the lesser of evil. That's why we put Malaki in power because of Saddam. Every change that has been made brings more hope for the Iraqi people. Abadi will prevail and as long as he doesn't succumb to foolishness, he should be able to lead Iraq to greener pastures. This has been the way since the beginning of time and because they have a global commodity and reportedly more, Iraq will be scrutinized by the world. That may be enough to keep them in line.

Abadi may turn out to be the "benevolent dictator " that Iraq needs . 4.5 million on the government payroll is too many for a country of that size. The WB and UN advisors told them that but as long as the money was flowing they ignored the advice and created more government positions. The result was why work when the government will give you a paycheck. That prevented the development of a private sector economy.

Nepotism and corrupt mangers filled the ranks. It took a while for Abadi to get support for reform. Now he will have to find solutions. To get capable people he may need to replace Iraqi's with non-iraqis.  That could get sticky. 

Rock I had no ideal that they had that many government employed people, that is roughly 1 in 7 people working for the government if my math is correct which most of the time it's not. LOL Anyways sounds like your right about Abadi trying to find capable and competent people. Thanks 

Rock I had no ideal that they had that many government employed people, that is roughly 1 in 7 people working for the government if my math is correct which most of the time it's not. LOL Anyways sounds like your right about Abadi trying to find capable and competent people. Thanks 

It is really more like 1 in 4 .  Half the population is too old , too young or physically unable to work. 500,000 are employed in state owned industries like electric , water and sewer, refining and shipping that normally would be private BUT the GOI is the only really paying customer. There are also holdover producers of military goods (uniforms , boots , etc)  that really arent used anymore , but the plants and workers are still there. So while the money was coming they perpetuated a bloated welfare system. Abadi now has the job of  converting these to real private institutions. 

It is really more like 1 in 4 .  Half the population is too old , too young or physically unable to work. 500,000 are employed in state owned industries like electric , water and sewer, refining and shipping that normally would be private BUT the GOI is the only really paying customer. There are also holdover producers of military goods (uniforms , boots , etc)  that really arent used anymore , but the plants and workers are still there. So while the money was coming they perpetuated a bloated welfare system. Abadi now has the job of  converting these to real private institutions. 

this is exactly right.  this is why there were articles posted months back to console the people.  the gist of the articles was that as iraq privatized and moved to a market economy, people had no fear of losing their jobs.  this unfortunately is a lie.  with privatization comes efficiency and competition.  job loss is inevitable.  i talk often with a friend who is egyptian and he has educated me a lot about the region and the transition egypt made toward a market economy.  he says that iraq is following exactly in line with what egypt did.  that privatization was really good for the country however there were jobs that were lost as the market shifted from state control.