Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Boy Scouts of America to allow *** adult leaders

umbertino

July 30 2015

NEW YORK (AP) - The Boy Scouts of America has ended its blanket ban on *** adult leaders but will allow church-sponsored Scout units to maintain the exclusion for religious reasons.

The new policy, aimed at easing a controversy that has embroiled the Boy Scouts for years, takes effect immediately. It was approved Monday by the BSA's National Executive Board on a 45-12 vote during a closed-to-the-media teleconference.

"For far too long this issue has divided and distracted us," the BSA's president, former Defense Secretary Robert Gates, said. "Now it's time to unite behind our shared belief in the extraordinary power of Scouting to be a force for good."

Initial reactions to the decision from groups on both sides suggested the issue would remain divisive.

The Mormon church, which sponsors more Scout units that any other organization, said it was "deeply troubled" by the decision. Church officials suggested they would look into the possibility of forming their own organization to replace Boy Scouts.

"The admission of openly *** leaders is inconsistent with the doctrines of the Church and what have traditionally been the values of the Boy Scouts of America," said a statement from Mormon headquarters in Salt Lake City.

In contrast, the Human Rights Campaign, a national LGBT-rights organization, said the Boy Scouts should not allow church-sponsored units to continue excluding gays.

"Including an exemption for troops sponsored by religious organizations undermines and diminishes the historic nature of the decision. Discrimination should have no place in the Boy Scouts, period," said the HRC's president, Chad Griffin. "BSA officials should now demonstrate true leadership and begin the process of considering a full national policy of inclusion."

Gates foreshadowed Monday's action on May 21, when he told the Scouts' national meeting that the long-standing ban on participation by openly *** adults was no longer sustainable. He said the ban was likely to be the target of lawsuits that the Scouts likely would lose.

Two weeks ago, the new policy was approved unanimously by the BSA's 17-member National Executive Committee. It would allow local Scout units to select adult leaders without regard to sexual orientation _ a stance that several Scout councils have already adopted in defiance of the official national policy.

In 2013, after heated internal debate, the BSA decided to allow openly *** youth as scouts, but not *** adults as leaders. Several denominations that collectively sponsor close to half of all Scout units -- including the Roman Catholic church, the Mormon church and the Southern Baptist Convention -- have been apprehensive about ending the ban on *** adults.

The BSA's top leaders pledged to defend the right of any church-sponsored units to continue excluding gays as adult volunteers. But that assurance has not satisfied some conservative church leaders.

"In recent years I have seen a definite cooling on the part of Baptist churches toward the Scouts," said the Rev. Russell Moore, president of the Southern Baptist Convention's Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission. "This will probably bring that cooling to a freeze."

A more nuanced response came from the National Catholic Committee on Scouting, which expressed interest in maintaining its ties with the BSA, but also voiced concerns. Notably, it conveyed a reluctance to accept participation by anyone who engaged in sexual conduct outside of a heterosexual marriage.

Under the BSA's new policy, *** leaders who were previously removed from Scouting because of the ban would have the opportunity to reapply for volunteer positions. If otherwise qualified, a *** adult would be eligible to serve as a Scoutmaster or unit leader.

Gates, who became the BSA's president in May 2014, said at the time that he personally would have favored ending the ban on *** adults, but he opposed any further debate after the Scouts' policymaking body upheld the ban. In May, he said that recent events "have confronted us with urgent challenges I did not foresee and which we cannot ignore."

He cited an announcement by the BSA's New York City chapter in early April that it had hired Pascal Tessier, the nation's first openly *** Eagle Scout, as a summer camp leader. Gates also cited broader ***-rights developments and warned that rigidly maintaining the ban "will be the end of us as a national movement."

The BSA's right to exclude gays was upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court in 2000. But since then, the policy has prompted numerous major corporations to suspend charitable donations to the Scouts and strained relations with some municipalities.

More recently, the BSA faced a civil rights investigation in New York and lawsuits in other states over the ban.

Kenneth Upton, a lawyer for the LGBT-rights group Lambda Legal, questioned whether the BSA's new policy to let church-sponsored units continue to exclude *** adults would be sustainable.

"There will be a period of time where they'll have some legal protection," Upton said. "But that doesn't mean the lawsuits won't keep coming. ... They will become increasingly marginalized from the direction society is going."

Lambda Legal's National Legal Director, Jon W. Davidson, wrote: As a result of this reform, which is to take effect immediately:

• *** men, bisexuals and lesbians will be able to volunteer and participate in the BSA without having to hide their sexual orientation or their committed relationships;
  •  
  • The organization will cease discriminating in employment based on sexual orientation; 
  •  
  • Lesbian, *** and bisexual parents will no longer be excluded from being formally involved in Cub Scout dens and Boy Scout troops along with their sons; 
  •  
  • Those previously excluded will be able to reapply for membership; and
  •  
  • The BSA, as an entity, will drop its policy that conveyed to all boys, regardless of their sexual orientation, that being *** was inconsistent with the Scout oath and law's principles of being clean and morally straight and instead was an aspect of one's life that needed to be hidden in shame.

Like several other major youth organizations, the Boy Scouts have experienced a membership decline in recent decades. Current membership, according to the BSA, is about 2.4 million boys and about 1 million adults.

According to media reports, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker's supports a discriminatory policy that bars ***, lesbian and bisexual adults from serving as BSA employees and troop leaders. Walker's comments defended a discriminatory ban as one that "protected" children.

HRC's Griffin called the remarks "offensive, outrageous, and absolutely unacceptable. His comments imply that we represent a threat to the safety and well-being of young people. For a sitting governor and presidential candidate to make such a disgraceful claim is unconscionable."

Former Texas Governor Rick Perry said on Meet the Press that the Boy Scouts of America would be "better off" without openly LGB employees and volunteers.

"Rick Perry's hurtful and offensive comments are yet another reminder of how much 'better off' our nation is with him out of public office, and especially the White House," said JoDee Winterhof, Senior Vice President of Policy and Political Affairs for the Human Rights Campaign. "The rest of the candidates need to make clear they don't agree with Rick Perry and Scott Walker's support of discriminatory policies."

Associated Press writer Brady McCombs in Salt Lake City contributed to this report.

bscouts.jpg

Photo: In this Sunday, June 28, photo, Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts prepare to lead marchers while waving rainbow-colored flags at the 41st annual Pride Parade in Seattle, two days after the U.S. Supreme Court legalized *** marriage nationwide. On July 27, the Texas-based Boy Scouts of America ended its blanket ban on *** adult leaders but will allow church-sponsored Scout units to maintain the exclusion for religious reasons.  |  Elaine Thompson/AP

http://www.peoplesworld.org/boy-scouts-of-america-to-allow-***-adult-leaders/

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As an Eagle Scout, I'm ashamed of the the scouting organization for bowing to the homosexuals. This would have never happened with the men, that were my leaders growing up. Not all scouts or leaders can say the scout oath anymore, there is no way a homosexual can be morally straight. I think, if more men like me would have stayed active and helped the scouts, this could have been prevented. When you have a family and run a business there is just not enough time to devote to it. To do scouting right takes a lot of time. I know, My on scoutmaster growing up devoted his whole life to scouting, it was his life and ministry helping boys become men. His name was J.E. Gilisipie, his nick name was The Ole Man, he was a Scoutmaster for over 40 years. I think he had a total of around 550 Eagle Scouts over the years. Nobody ever called him by his real name. It was always The Ole Man. He was loved by many. At his funeral there were so many people, they couldn't fit into one of the largest churches in the area. This man meant a lot to me, He taught me how to live my life, by the Scout Law! I know how bad this would have hurt his feelings, as to how bad this has hurt scouting. It has hurt me too. Me, personally I don't care if you want to be a homosexual, go do it. In my opinion its a sorry and perverted thing. No matter how hard the homosexuals want it to be normal, it isn't, nor will I ever LEGITIMATIZE this perverted life style. No matter what the U.S. Supreme Court says, its a SORRY despicable life style and has no place around young boys. As for me I will never help or have anything to do with Scouting again! JMHO  :twocents:

• Upvote 2

Why is this surprising to anyone?  

You remove and deny the Creator, God, deny the inspiration and authority of the Bible, reject the moral high ground found in the Scripture, you remove the foundation for sane moral accountability.  Then we establish our own moral code base on what each person thinks, punish those who go against or fail to acknowledge our own immoral actions, and then think that we are getting it right?!??!?!  

WOW!  

Now we are surprised this is happening?  

People still have the right to not send their children to the Boy Scouts. As the attendance and money drops the organization will hear the people. If it does not drop then the people have spoken.

Your right about that. I will have no part of a organization that has no back bone. They are cowards and I will teach my grandchildren to camp, hike, hunt and to be morally straight! Its just a shame an organization that was so much fun and help shape my life was stolen from us. :salute:

Fathers just need to spend more time with their sons and daughters and teach them about the great outdoors, that's what my daddy did. My daughter was raised hunting and fishing, she even shot her first buck at 7 years old with a 7mm mag. It kicked her,  it ringed her eye  but she didn't cry, now that's impressive ! Now a days I wouldn't entrust my children with just anyone outside my family. The Boy Scouts of America are now dead and they are being led by the dead.......Luke 9:60  Mathew 8;22

• Upvote 1

That's so cool and progressive, right Umbertino?

I know I'd love to allow my son (if I had one) spend a

nice cozy weekend camping at the lake with a pervert

sexual deviant. NOT!!!!!!!"

Sad thing is, most really won't have an issue with it.

Then after their children tell them what happened

With tears in their eyes; mommy and daddy will ask

HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN?

And the answer will be

BECAUSE YOU'RE IGNORANT, and you should never have

reproduce.

• Upvote 2

what burns me up is how adults are pushing their sexual agendas down on the shoulders of children.  what in the living world does an 8 year old care about sex?  on whether or not a man sticks his johnson in the rear of a man or enter a woman?!!  when i was 8 years old all i cared about was hanging out with my friends and constructing dirt tracks with our tonka trucks.  SEX IS NOT ON A KIDS MIND!  but these nutz are sticking flags in the hands of children and marching them through the streets to serve their own selfish purpose.  

simply burns me up!  LET A KID BE A KID!  QUIT TAKING THEIR CHILDHOOD AWAY!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I know I will get negged for this but *** does not mean pedophile.   I don't agree with the *** lifestyle in any way but the *** men I do know are not attracted to boys any more than an adult straight man is attracted to young girls.

I do believe that the boy scouts have yielded to pressure and have allowed the establishment to change. My neighbor, who is a woman, has been a scoutmaster for 10 years now.  How do you not say you are discriminating if you allow women to lead the boy scouts but not a *** man?

We stopped sending our son to boy scouts when the scoutmaster was caught with a female scoutmaster who was not his wife,  and nothing was done about it. No one was removed from their position.  I have a say in who my children associate with and if there is a person in a position that I cannot do anything about then we have a frank discussion.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I was in a conversation recently and just kind of flippantly said, "It's because they took God out of the schools."  The more I thought about it, the more I began to believe that has alot to do with it.  With church attendance down, many kids have no strong Christian belief system; they may have a "moral" thread in their family, but they don't really know God or His Word.  I remember years ago when my kids (now in their 30's) were in school, and secular humanism began to creep in with thoughts such as values clarification.  We saw the handwriting on the wall and put our kids in a private Christian school.  I realize not every parent can afford that.  This country needs a revival - the kind where God moves and manifests with healings, deliverances, and demonstrations of His power.  It's coming!!  That is what will straighten out this mess.

• Upvote 3

I know I will get negged for this but *** does not mean pedophile.   I don't agree with the *** lifestyle in any way but the *** men I do know are not attracted to boys any more than an adult straight man is attracted to young girls.

I do believe that the boy scouts have yielded to pressure and have allowed the establishment to change. My neighbor, who is a woman, has been a scoutmaster for 10 years now.  How do you not say you are discriminating if you allow women to lead the boy scouts but not a *** man?

We stopped sending our son to boy scouts when the scoutmaster was caught with a female scoutmaster who was not his wife,  and nothing was done about it. No one was removed from their position.  I have a say in who my children associate with and if there is a person in a position that I cannot do anything about then we have a frank discussion.

Its not about them being a pedophile, The homosexuals want their deviant perverted life style Legitimized! The Sorry lots are try to get this in grained in young boys mind that its alright to be a pervert. Adultery is wrong to this man was Sorry too! If this man was cheating what else was he teaching the boys to cheat on like rank and skills? My scoutmaster would not let woman volunteer for any role except as a committee man position! Plus the could not attend camp outs or summer camp! At the end he to a lot of grief over his stance. Like I say I will NEVER LEGITIMIZE homosexual behavior. Its just flat wrong for another man to want the anal area of another man! Case closed! :twocents:   

• Upvote 1

Artitech...I guess I didn't look at it that way as far as wanting their lifestyles being ingrained in young boys.  Like I said my son was pulled from the boys scouts as soon as any immoral activity was sanctioned. By not removing the people involved it was sanctioned in my opinion.  

We try to protect our kids by limiting what they watch on tv, what they connect with on the internet and the friends they keep AND the activities they take part of. I guess I was naive enough to believe that lifestyles are not discussed at meetings and campouts and that it would only be about boy scout values and community service.  When we allow our children to be immersed in an activity that is lead by someone who has a lifestyle we do not agree with, then I do agree we are condoning that lifestyle and telling our children that it is okay.

And I am not sure why my neighbor is a scout leader. But I do know she does a lot of the planning for meetings and outings and attends and leads a lot of them. She is always the one taking charge and planning for the American Legion and other high profile scout events. 

what burns me up is how adults are pushing their sexual agendas down on the shoulders of children.  what in the living world does an 8 year old care about sex?  on whether or not a man sticks his johnson in the rear of a man or enter a woman?!!  when i was 8 years old all i cared about was hanging out with my friends and constructing dirt tracks with our tonka trucks.  SEX IS NOT ON A KIDS MIND!  but these nutz are sticking flags in the hands of children and marching them through the streets to serve their own selfish purpose.  

simply burns me up!  LET A KID BE A KID!  QUIT TAKING THEIR CHILDHOOD AWAY!

A very well stated post. 

And remember those tonka trucks when we were kids? 

I loved them, you could blow them up with firecrackers toss them high into the air

and never could destroy them. Now they make them out of plastic.  

You may be correct, but it does mean, deviant, and Pervert. And no I wouldn't 

neg you for your belief, you have a rite to an opinion as much as the next person.  

I was in a conversation recently and just kind of flippantly said, "It's because they took God out of the schools."  The more I thought about it, the more I began to believe that has alot to do with it.  With church attendance down, many kids have no strong Christian belief system; they may have a "moral" thread in their family, but they don't really know God or His Word.  I remember years ago when my kids (now in their 30's) were in school, and secular humanism began to creep in with thoughts such as values clarification.  We saw the handwriting on the wall and put our kids in a private Christian school.  I realize not every parent can afford that.  This country needs a revival - the kind where God moves and manifests with healings, deliverances, and demonstrations of His power.  It's coming!!  That is what will straighten out this mess.

And that is EXACTLY where America went wrong. 

It is also why I ALWAYS bring God into a conversation whenever possible.

I figure, if people wont go to Church, then I'll bring the Church to them.  

• Upvote 1