Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

John Oliver on Chickens

Peace

Wow. This is not about the gross abuses of chickens as it is about what the corporations (Tyson, Perdue , Sanderson...) are doing to the chicken farmer!   I use to think it was the farmer abusing chickens. ITS NOT!!  It is corporations that are abusing not only the chickens but the Farmers! 

If you watch the full clip btw he is hilarious, you can't help but feel for the farmer but more importantly at the end he challenged a bill that was in the Ag Committee on this abuse of the farmers, and he had a pp behind him calling out every congress member with their name and state and then told his audience to put them on notice. The showed aired in May 2015. ALL THE MEMBERS THAT WERE ASSIGNED TO THAT COMMITTEE VOTED TO PASS THE BILL.

this is the link showing the bill passing and it even credits john oliver as humorously showing them what the corps were doing!

https://pingree.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/ag-spending-bill-contains-big-win-protect-rights-chicken-farmers-after

Pingree, a Member of the Appropriations Committee, has spoken out against these provisions and says although this is a big win, the fight isn't over.

"It was significant that the anti-GIPSA language was not in the bill that was passed by the Agriculture Appropriations Subcommittee today but it still has to go to the full Committee and then the full House," she said.  "There are still plenty of opportunities for that language to get stuck back in and it's important that we keep our eye on the ball."

:) :) :)

• Upvote 1

Just another example of big companies getting out of hand. I live in some of the heart of Tyson farmer country...and I hear these stories all the time.  I wonder if the farmers have had to take the brunt of the losses in the Midwest with the millions of birds having to be put down because of the bird flu?  

I also heard years ago that large flocks like that could lead to this kind of catastrophe...and here we are.  Egg prices have gone up 80% so far...who knows what the price of the meat will go to?  I have decided to follow someones advice and get back into raising heritage birds that are hardier than these "genetically altered freaks" that we call chicken.  Not only are the farmers getting the shaft...the consumer is also with inferior meat and lousy eggs...just sayin'!!!  At least raising them myself I can rest easy that they are healthy and living up to their potential.

Sandfly for the post Peace...Out!!! (couldn't resist!)  :peace: 

• Upvote 1

Just another example of big companies getting out of hand. I live in some of the heart of Tyson farmer country...and I hear these stories all the time.  I wonder if the farmers have had to take the brunt of the losses in the Midwest with the millions of birds having to be put down because of the bird flu? 

I also heard years ago that large flocks like that could lead to this kind of catastrophe...and here we are.  Egg prices have gone up 80% so far...who knows what the price of the meat will go to?  I have decided to follow someones advice and get back into raising heritage birds that are hardier than these "genetically altered freaks" that we call chicken.  Not only are the farmers getting the shaft...the consumer is also with inferior meat and lousy eggs...just sayin'!!!  At least raising them myself I can rest easy that they are healthy and living up to their potential.

Sandfly for the post Peace...Out!!! (couldn't resist!)  :peace:     

After seeing the abuses of the chickens and the farmers, i think the corps are so ruthless anything is possible. You are so right about the GMO but also antibiotics and hormones... it only takes a month to fatten up a chicken from baby to table!! becasue of the steroids they use. my friends uncle in east texas has a chicken farm and he said their is always a couple of stragglers left behind when the trucks come to get them. the chickens die within the week cuz they exploded! I DO NOT WANT TO PUT THAT ON MY TABLE IN MY BODY. I'm with you, lets raise some chickens humanely :)   Also, these farmers don't even like the way the chickens are being raised, i think we need to prop up the individual farmer before we prop up corps. Down with dirty business! Enjoy raising your birds :) 

• Upvote 1

I havent ate tyson chicken in years or any bird that looks like Arnold Schwarzenegger for that matter.

They taste like plastic.

I eat MY chickens and MY eggs .

My chickens taste like chicken .

That's how we used to eat...but a move to Music City and now back to NC we are finally getting set up again to do it again!!!

• Upvote 2