Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

I’m a Muslim woman, Mr Cameron: here’s what your radicalisation speech means to me

umbertino

For the first time in my life I feel like I don’t belong. British Muslim communities have so many worries about your plans to tackle extremism, so why don’t you communicate with us?

Friday 24 July 2015 19.16 BST

By Siema Iqbal

Dear Mr Cameron,

What did your speech on radicalisation this week actually mean to someone like me?

Despite being born in Manchester, growing up here and being a proud Mancunian (let’s overlook my support for Liverpool FC), for the first time in 37 years I feel as though I don’t belong. And yes, I am Muslim. Just a British Muslim.

I used to hear the term “Muslim community” and think of a peaceful hard-working community who settled in the UK to create a better future for generations to come. Now I hear that and it paints a picture of a misunderstood, frightened community under attack and feeling the need to continually apologise and defend its religious beliefs.

There have been many responses to your speech, and some well-researched analyses. But I need you to listen to someone like me. I need to have confidence that the person shaping my children’s future has an understanding of the impact of legislation imposed by you and your government.

Let’s start with the proposal regarding passports. You said this week that parents will have the power to confiscate their child’s passport if they fear they will travel to Syria or Iraq to fight for Isis. No parent wants their child to do that – and not just Muslim parents. Why anyone would join Isis is beyond my comprehension, so having the ability as a parent to stop my child ever coming to harm would be welcome. But just out of curiosity, if my child’s passport is confiscated, would they then be labelled a “non-violent extremist” and, if so, what would be the consequences for them?

There is a lot of talk at the moment of “ideology”. To be clear, “ideology” doesn’t make me feel isolated. “Ideology” doesn’t drive radicalisation. Islamophobia, foreign policy and double standards make me feel isolated and scared and, I suspect, are the real driving force behind radicalisation.

Like others before you, including Tony Blair, you say your objection isn’t to Muslims and Islam but towards violent jihadism. It’s difficult for me to believe in your sincerity though, when you’ve created a society where just talking about certain aspects of Islam is now considered extremist.

Muslims and Islam have been vilified and demonised by society and the media. Islamophobic attacks are on the rise. And no, I haven’t been the target of an Islamophobic attack yet, but I’m also not naive enough to think it won’t happen to me just because I don’t wear a headscarf or because my clothing is more westernised. I dread opening my news app in case there’s another unfair, biased headline for which I will then have to apologise, whether it’s about child grooming or a violent killing.

I was pleased to hear you mention Islamophobia, but what have you done to counter it? Did I miss that in your speech, David? Prior to the general election, Theresa May proposed Islamophobia being recorded as a separate crime, but is this actually going to happen?

The media’s prejudiced use of the term “terrorism” has created the link between the word Muslim and terrorism, embedding it in people’s minds and propagating hate towards the Muslim community. Anders Behring Breivik was labelled a terrorist until he was found not to be Muslim; then many chose to brand him a “mass murderer” instead. Dylann Roof was described by many people simply as a “shooter”, despite having a manifesto of hate. Had they been Muslim, both would surely have been straightforwardly deemed “terrorists”. Why should I have to stop my children from watching the news or reading the papers? The media is using the actions of a few – who quite clearly do not understand the meaning of Islam – to tarnish 1.6 billion Muslims worldwide and demonise a peaceful religion. The media needs to take some responsibility for the way in which Muslims are being treated in the UK and for the rise in Islamophobia.

David, you need to ensure the media is fair in its reporting. This double standard, inadequately monitored by the regulator Ipso – the supposedly independent body created after the Leveson inquiry – contributes towards people’s lack of a “sense of belonging” and to radicalisation.

You completely failed to mention foreign policy. Do you really believe we didn’t notice the huge elephant in the room? I am not going to go into the politics of the numerous bombings that have been embarked upon, but how do I explain to my children that 519 Palestinian children were killed last year and the UK did nothing, while approximately half a million people were killed in Iraq on the basis of a hunt for weapons of mass destruction that didn’t exist? Can you come and explain that to my two boys?

I wonder what the future holds for them. Will they be able to practise their faith or will they have to do it discreetly for fear of a teacher reporting them under the current Prevent legislation? Will any signs of increased religious practise be seen as a sign of “radicalisation” under this legislation? This same legislation was called a failure in an open letter to a major national newspaper this month by British academics, not just Muslims. Any human being, regardless of whether they are a teacher or doctor, would stop harm happening to others. As a GP I don’t need legislation to tell me to report someone I feel will harm others: I find that insulting. Do you think I have spent the past 12 years of my career allowing harm to occur?

What will the job opportunities be like for my children? You expressed disgust at those who believed “Muslims were taking over the government” when all they would like to do is engage with the system – and surely this fits in with “British values”. But how will you ensure this happens fairly? You failed to mention how you will tackle the discrimination currently faced by Muslims in the workplace. Where is the policy intervention to address this issue so Muslims feel like they “belong”?

You say you want to “empower” moderate voices among British Muslims. I welcome that wholeheartedly. So when will you be replacing the Quilliam foundation with people who represent me and have some credibility and respect among British Muslims? There are “moderate” practising Muslims and organisations who are willing to work with you to tackle the threat of radicalisation and who are representative of the 2.7 million British Muslims living in the UK.

The thoughts and worries are endless. This is the reality of being a Muslim in Britain at the moment. If you are genuine about tackling “extremism” talk to the people who matter and address the issues that really count.

I await your reply.

David-Cameron-008.jpg?w=700&q=85&auto=fo

Prime minister David Cameron. Photograph: Joe Giddens/PA

• Upvote 1

This 'muslim" woman needs to confront her radical muslims Imams and discuss their hatred for anyone that doesn't believe their cause. 

Islam was created by a psychopathic murderer that killed his own relatives because they didn't believe him, pedophile, extortionist, just a typical serial killer.... 

• Upvote 6

Not all Muslims are Islamists. And Not all Islamists are Terrorists. The muslim population is around 23% of world population. That is condemning a lot of muslims who are not terrorists!  Remember the Muslim Egyptian protest in June 2013! There were over 22 million Muslims who signed a petition to oust the then sitting Muhammed Marsi who was trying to institute radical islam law. And over 14 million took to the streets and overthrough him!!!!

So they are actually doing something!! Here in the states we don't get together like that.

Also one more observation, ya know there are also "radical christians" that have made the terrorist list!

As a matter of fact in the US as far as domestic terrorism goes, their are less done by muslims than other groups.

just saying we need to be careful at condeming entire races and religions and separate those from the real terrorists, which are in every religion. IMO

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

My friend and sister it is for those very reasons you stated that has placed those fellow British and Americans, and others in other similar communities around the world, that we who are not part of the Muslim Community feel that the portrait of Islam is painted ugly, violent, and extreme. Its as though the tolerance we have or had for the cultural differences between us have been interpreted as weakness. Its as though you demand we respect you and your ways without your returning the very same respect. We should speak and arrive at a understanding, but what have you done to understand our culture and ways. This week I had a fantastic conversation with a young Muslim man. I kept it short so as to allow the nuggets I gave to shine before continuing to build the foundation of understanding. He was raised here in the U.S. after arriving at the age of 5 from Egypt. After I told him that I don't follow the Kardashians at all, he stated that he remains confused about all the different "Christian" divisions. Different types of Christian beliefs, Baptist, Catholic, Protestants, Methodists, Pentecostal, and more. In his faith they only have one way to look at and interpret their bible. After some thought i responded, what I see with all the different Christian Sects is a God who is willing to accept people exactly where they are and through a relationship with Him, He can provide Fatherly advice, and educate us according to His word contained in The Christian Bible. Always confirming His teachings, lessons, and examples with His words in the Bible, from the first page to the last page. Never violating what it contains, and never breaking His written Promises to His children, believers, disciples. I also see the affects of man, in how man even a dedicated follower of God can stiffle the moves of God because they have grown comfortable with the revelations of God up to this point. Our God will honor their growth as mature/maturing Christians up to said point. If they will not grow further,as He in His infinite wisdom releases further revelations, further details of His plans to enrich for the lives of all His children, this will not stop Him as He will reveal the latest revelation(s) through unexpected avenues, through unexpected people. Look what He did with Paul, no more Saul, that is all. Through the Romans when God reached into the then strongest nation of the world after historic abuses on Christians at their had. Look at the Lutheran movement via Martin Luther, the Baptists reaquainting folks with the need for water baptism via emersion, look at the Azusa Street movement of God that gave rise to the Non-denominational Pentecostal laying on of hands for healing types with praise and worship. I am part of this group. You say there is only one Islam, then why did they split from the teachings of Isam and The Prophet Mohammed when The prophets Grandson also a prophet died? Why can't these two groups agree to disagree and otherwise live in peace and harmony? Do all members of one group simply not recognise the other actually exhists? How does that help the faith of Islam? Why is it that when Father confessors teach what westerners now call "radical islam" advocating for the death of people and the destrusction of their institutions that do not believe their way. Why don't followers of Islam remove them from their pastorship and or turn them into the police? My friends response was wonderful, he said we must continue this discussion soon. We shall. Take care. Time will now tell. 

• Upvote 1

How about you talk to the radical muslim and then you will see why there is no hope, because if the world does not believe in your faith they must die.

How about starting with reading your Muslim book called the Quran. Your faith says we are a county filled with infidels and they are the ones you want to kill says your book. How about the thousands and thousands of Muslims that are radicalized and are beheading people, killing massive amounts of people because they are of different faith, dousing them with gasoline and lighting them on fire,or the ones that feel we are the ones that brought down our own twin towers with explosives.

I would say talking with moderate Muslims has been done and has not helped the problem. Ultimately, if you feel comfortable or you do not belong and feel you are not being treated fairly, try going home to your homeland. There is a reason why you ended up in a country such as Britain. 

• Upvote 3

The reason the word terrorism is linked to the word muslum lady is because it is.

You have to deal with that from the perspective of those being killed by radical Islam.

It is a good thing that you and others like you wish only to practice your religion in peace.

I only hope the best for you. But there are many who practice your religion who only pray for the death of infidels

and    kill indiscriminately. You cannot stop them that means its up to the rest of the world to stop them.

Thats why these laws make sense .

and as far as modern christian terrorist go  

whens the last time you heard of a christian chopping off the head of anyone. 

ahhhhhhh  never comes to mind 

• Upvote 1

There are approximately 73 different sects in Islam. (http://www.real-islam.org/73_8.htm ) The two major groups are the Sheia and the Sunni.  As with any of the religions of the world, men have divided it into "beliefs"(?) that suit man's mind.  

Christianity have multiple denominations filled with the dogmas of man, geared to the thoughts and intent of man and not God.  It was never God's desire, will, or purpose to create multiple denominations.  They are an abomination to the prayer of Jesus in John 17. . . "Sanctify them in the truth; Thy word is truth.  As Thou didst send Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world.  And for their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they themselves also may be sanctified in truth.  I do not ask in behalf of these alone, but for those also who believe in Me through their word; that they may all be one; ever as Thou, Father, in Me, and I in Thee. that they also may be in Us; that the world may believe that Thou didst send Me.And the glory which Thou hast given Me I have given to them; that thy may be one, just as We are one; I in them, and Thou in Me, that they may be perfected in unity, that the world may know that Thou didst send Me, and didst love them, even as Thou didst love Me." 

Of all the things that man's dogma have accomplished it is the division in the body of Christ.  It has never been right.  

As Jesus prayed, it has caused more unbelief than Satan ever could with fleshly sins, though denominationalism is "of the flesh." 

Their is "sin in the camp" and until that is removed (denominationalism) then we can expect people to reject the "Christian religion."  

When I was 12-20 years of age I was part of "denominational religion.) When was 21 I left my denomination and never looked back.  I have preached and taught the "gospel of Christ," rejected any thing that looked like denominationalism, and lived my life as only a child of God, a Christian.  My what freedom that gives!! I became one with God and Christ, and one with everyone who is/was a Christian.  

I understand where this lady is coming from.  It is NOT the right of government to infringe on the religious beliefs of another human being.  That is NO what government's role is in society.  But neither do I want the government to infringe on my Christian beliefs either.  Yet it is becoming more and more the prospect that government is going to do just that!  Christians will be under as much persecution and rejection as the Jews and Muslims.  Atheism, agnosticism, and scientism are quickly gaining control of government, media, and institutions of learning.  ANYONE who has faith in God, any god, but specifically those connected with Christian, Jews, and Muslims will be rejected, persecuted, and ridiculed as myth believing radicals.  Her plight and the plight of many Christians and Jews is one of trials until the end of this creation.  Either we understand how we are going to deal with it or we suffer through it.  As for me and my house, we will serve Jehovah.    

Wrong religion !  Jesus Christ is the ONLY Way ! 

Renomac, I would agree.  But there is more involved than that.  Next (if not already) it will be the Christian.

• Upvote 3

The reason the word terrorism is linked to the word muslum lady is because it is.

You have to deal with that from the perspective of those being killed by radical Islam.

It is a good thing that you and others like you wish only to practice your religion in peace.

I only hope the best for you. But there are many who practice your religion who only pray for the death of infidels

and    kill indiscriminately. You cannot stop them that means its up to the rest of the world to stop them.

Thats why these laws make sense .

and as far as modern christian terrorist go  

whens the last time you heard of a christian chopping off the head of anyone. 

ahhhhhhh  never comes to mind 

When I think of the word terrorist, the first thing that comes to my mind is: GOVERNMENT AGENCIES/WORKERS. You know, like the IRS, NSA, DIA, CIA, etc. But then the same things come to mind when I think of the words: psychopaths, sociopaths, criminal cartel, mafia, etc. Maybe its just me.....Dunno, just pondering, Chief

• Upvote 1

And if you were born in another country / continent you'd say Islam is the only way... It's mainly a geographical matter.

Not necessarily, there are many Christians in "foreign countries" including those in the ME. Less now since the Perverted Islamic Terrorists have been beheading, drowning, burning, blowing up, and crucifying them. Geography has nothing to do with your belief in Jesus.

• Upvote 3

And if you were born in another country / continent you'd say Islam is the only way... It's mainly a geographical matter.

Why is it geographic?  God created all things, and that "all" is inclusive of everything that exists: universes that have yet to be discovered. This earth and every nation is ruled and controlled by God.  He desires all to be saved from sin and death. Therefore since the beginning of the body of Christ there have been individuals going all over the world preaching and teaching about Him.  By the end of the first century Christianity has spread to all of the known world.  

There is a desire in every person to find what is missing in their life; a spiritual void that must be filled.  If there is no Christianity or gospel being preached, the individual usually fills that void with gods of their own making; even if it SELF.  

There are no barriers, boundaries, or limitations to Christ. . . just man's failure to listen.