Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Michelle Obama: I was 'knocked back' by race perceptions

umbertino

I dunno KKK the Nazi`s , Isis, alquida, IRS, westborro church baltimore looters

All Evil.

I still believe that the good people out there still outnumber the bad.

And thats what we need to focus on. 

Not this continues finger pointing by both sides.

Saying " Oh no its you that`s to blame"  

Kinda stupid really. Trinity your problem is that many of us

are not at all racists. But you seem to not want to accept that.

Just because we dont agree with you does not mean we are racist

it means we just dont agree with you. period.  No ill feelings towards you

or your people. As a people you need to understand that no matter what happened in the past

or in the present or in the future. One will never escape the bondage of poverty , illiteracy , dependency ,

by feeling sorry for yourself.  

Dog i fully appreciate your response and I humble myself to see what applies to me and will take it in but in this case I am honestly lost.  I believe somewhere in the 4-5 pages of dialogue, the message was lost.  Please allow me to clear things up because evidently from some of the responses people have not gone through and read the entire thread but grabbed pieces.

Let's recap:

• I mentioned an appreciation for Michelle Obama sharing her experiences and having real talk with students preparing to enter a harsh world
  • In support of my appreciation for "real talk" about overcoming hate, prejudice and racism I gave an example of how I overcame my CFOs racist remarks.  How in the real world you have to learn to deal with situations without flying off the handle because there are people who will hate you simply for how God made you and there is nothing you can do to change or control them but you can control your response
  • I highlighted that until we are able to discuss prejudices and biases, we will continue to struggle as a nation.  I gave evidence of americans surviving hurricane katrina and the biases painted by the media, how these biases affect us subconsciously unless we make ourselves aware and bring it to the forefront
  • Next I wrote about how I deal with racism, bias and prejudice in everyday life and how I advise others to deal with it.  I used for an example the way I deal with an officer of the law and example of a black man being gunned down in walmart for holding a BB gun he got off the shelf
  • I am presented with a video of some guy named dmx who raps about thuggery.  The expectation being that me and the whole black race are suppose to fix this guys message and change his created culture in order for us to gain respect and responsibly be held accountable for what he is selling.  I provide evidence of the ridiculousness of it all.  additionally i provide evidence of blacks taking a stand against ignorance in the community 
  • The topic spins out of control at this point as now it turn into a topic on culture and how black people should control the culture of all blacks.  The statement is made that whites controlled negative cultures birth out of the white community by destroying the Klan and blacks should be able to do the same.  I provided evidence that the Klan is still alive....what are you talking about??
  • I am accused of convoluted thinking and not seeing the forest for the trees.  People begin creating things that I never wrote and calling me a victim without ever providing any evidence to support their claim of my victimized state.  

That is it in a nutshell.  Long story short, hate exist.  You can close your eyes to it if you like, your prerogative.   For me I choose to deal with it through prayer and wisdom.  Society and the media have painted a dark picture of black males in this country and because of this portrayal I conduct myself in certain ways that others might not be compelled to do.  To say my statement is not true is to live a lie, it is what it is.  Do I live like a victim, of course not.  I rise above it.  But I recognize its existence.  Does the Christian live their life as if Satan doesn't exist?  They would be a fool to do that.  The scripture teaches us to be sober and vigilant because of your adversary the devil.  

in response to my thinking about people on this forum, i have passed judgement on only one person's views and called it racist because they were downright ridiculous.  other than that i call you all my friends.  even then though you say that i see you all as racist.  HOW DO YOU COME TO THESE CONCLUSIONS WITHOUT PROVIDING EVIDENCE.  when/where did i ever write that???  where???  and so this is what makes forums frustrating, is that people create out of thin air what was never written.  they cannot back their statements and claims with facts.  they just "write stuff" up.  and it becomes too exhausting to defend uncorroborated made up stuff.

Edited by TrinityeXchange
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

''TX''....See all them trees...Those trees...They are the forest...That's exactly what the dense forest is made of....''Thanks'' for the Ruby...It's considered a compliment from the sender on this post...''Adolescents has to be tolerated in a mature world''...Just so ya know ''TX'' I didn't give ya the ''Ruby'' your sportin' and I Hope your above the same...Then again I didn't take it away either... 

• Upvote 1

Thanks TE for your thoughts and how you conduct yourself. Too many

responses coming from to many areas that cause loss of focus in a thread

such as this. The point is too easily missed, add to it that many do not

read thoroughly before they post their opinion, and the subject implodes

on itself.

Some are not interested in what you have to say, they are only interested

in their own perceptions, political/religious views, etc., that to this day have

not provided a single solution. This is common and you should not take it

personal. Then there are some who like to try and stir up arguments or

bickering which provide nothing of value, it is just a reflection of who they

are, at least who they are on an anonymous forum where one can toy with

those who are actually trying to learn/understand the issues being discussed

so they can post something relevant to the subject.

I have read your responses, and I have yet to come away with thinking you

are playing the victim card that you have been accused of. Rather, I see this

subject is important to you based upon your experiences, and no matter what

someone writes in response to that, they cannot nullify those experiences you

have had/witnessed.

Only you know your heart, your motives, your intent, and reason for sharing

your experiences. I have little doubt you simply want to see improvement in

all relations, and to get to that point, one must share their own perceptions

and experiences. There are many here who I think sincerely want to also see

a day when color means nothing, to see a day where people are no longer

defined by the labels placed upon them, and to see a day when we are judged

not by anything but our words and actions towards others. That is the bottom line.

As long as the labels have meaning, political/religious labels, etc., I do not see

any solution until we reject those very things that cause division in the first

place. Politics and political correctness nonsense keep many of these labels alive

and valuable in any discussion, which do nothing more than side track the original

thought. The only solution I see is when all people willingly reject the labels I spoke

of, and reject those who are at the root of divisive tactics that keep feeding the

frenzy and causing confusion.

Some of those people who absolutely LOVE the labels are the likes of Sharpton,

Jackson, who never hesitate to jump on the platform at every racial conflict. This

to me is sickening, and I have seen it too often over the years and THIS process

that they inject into the field in my opinion, has worsened many issues such as this.

I would sincerely hope that most would reject the actions of the Sharpton/Jackson

methods, and maybe then these who take advantage of the tensions would be

told to stay home. Have a good day TE, thanks again for sharing my friend.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Dog i fully appreciate your response and I humble myself to see what applies to me and will take it in but in this case I am honestly lost.  I believe somewhere in the 4-5 pages of dialogue, the message was lost.  Please allow me to clear things up because evidently from some of the responses people have not gone through and read the entire thread but grabbed pieces.

Let's recap:

• I mentioned an appreciation for Michelle Obama sharing her experiences and having real talk with students preparing to enter a harsh world
  • In support of my appreciation for "real talk" about overcoming hate, prejudice and racism I gave an example of how I overcame my CFOs racist remarks.  How in the real world you have to learn to deal with situations without flying off the handle because there are people who will hate you simply for how God made you and there is nothing you can do to change or control them but you can control your response
  • I highlighted that until we are able to discuss prejudices and biases, we will continue to struggle as a nation.  I gave evidence of americans surviving hurricane katrina and the biases painted by the media, how these biases affect us subconsciously unless we make ourselves aware and bring it to the forefront
  • Next I wrote about how I deal with racism, bias and prejudice in everyday life and how I advise others to deal with it.  I used for an example the way I deal with an officer of the law and example of a black man being gunned down in walmart for holding a BB gun he got off the shelf
  • I am presented with a video of some guy named dmx who raps about thuggery.  The expectation being that me and the whole black race are suppose to fix this guys message and change his created culture in order for us to gain respect and responsibly be held accountable for what he is selling.  I provide evidence of the ridiculousness of it all.  additionally i provide evidence of blacks taking a stand against ignorance in the community 
  • The topic spins out of control at this point as now it turn into a topic on culture and how black people should control the culture of all blacks.  The statement is made that whites controlled negative cultures birth out of the white community by destroying the Klan and blacks should be able to do the same.  I provided evidence that the Klan is still alive....what are you talking about??
  • I am accused of convoluted thinking and not seeing the forest for the trees.  People begin creating things that I never wrote and calling me a victim without ever providing any evidence to support their claim of my victimized state.  

That is it in a nutshell.  Long story short, hate exist.  You can close your eyes to it if you like, your prerogative.   For me I choose to deal with it through prayer and wisdom.  Society and the media have painted a dark picture of black males in this country and because of this portrayal I conduct myself in certain ways that others might not be compelled to do.  To say my statement is not true is to live a lie, it is what it is.  Do I live like a victim, of course not.  I rise above it.  But I recognize its existence.  Does the Christian live their life as if Satan doesn't exist?  They would be a fool to do that.  The scripture teaches us to be sober and vigilant because of your adversary the devil.  

in response to my thinking about people on this forum, i have passed judgement on only one person's views and called it racist because they were downright ridiculous.  other than that i call you all my friends.  even then though you say that i see you all as racist.  HOW DO YOU COME TO THESE CONCLUSIONS WITHOUT PROVIDING EVIDENCE.  when/where did i ever write that???  where???  and so this is what makes forums frustrating, is that people create out of thin air what was never written.  they cannot back their statements and claims with facts.  they just "write stuff" up.  and it becomes too exhausting to defend uncorroborated made up stuff.

Wow Trinity you are a patient soul!!! Anyone trying to paint your posts a you victimizing yourself is trying to deflect and derail the thread from the real issues that you are trying to discuss....Racism IS still a problem and will be until we can...

Alright!!! There you are Jim :) You identified it so much better than I was attempting to.

Thank You My Friend :)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Thanks TE for your thoughts and how you conduct yourself. Too many

responses coming from to many areas that cause loss of focus in a thread

such as this. The point is too easily missed, add to it that many do not

read thoroughly before they post their opinion, and the subject implodes

on itself.

Some are not interested in what you have to say, they are only interested

in their own perceptions, political/religious views, etc., that to this day have

not provided a single solution. This is common and you should not take it

personal. Then there are some who like to try and stir up arguments or

bickering which provide nothing of value, it is just a reflection of who they

are, at least who they are on an anonymous forum where one can toy with

those who are actually trying to learn/understand the issues being discussed

so they can post something relevant to the subject.

I have read your responses, and I have yet to come away with thinking you

are playing the victim card that you have been accused of. Rather, I see this

subject is important to you based upon your experiences, and no matter what

someone writes in response to that, they cannot nullify those experiences you

have had/witnessed.

Only you know your heart, your motives, your intent, and reason for sharing

your experiences. I have little doubt you simply want to see improvement in

all relations, and to get to that point, one must share their own perceptions

and experiences. There are many here who I think sincerely want to also see

a day when color means nothing, to see a day where people are no longer

defined by the labels placed upon them, and to see a day when we are judged

not by anything but our words and actions towards others. That is the bottom line.

As long as the labels have meaning, political/religious labels, etc., I do not see

any solution until we reject those very things that cause division in the first

place. Politics and political correctness nonsense keep many of these labels alive

and valuable in any discussion, which do nothing more than side track the original

thought. The only solution I see is when all people willingly reject the labels I spoke

of, and reject those who are at the root of divisive tactics that keep feeding the

frenzy and causing confusion.

Some of those people who absolutely LOVE the labels are the likes of Sharpton,

Jackson, who never hesitate to jump on the platform at every racial conflict. This

to me is sickening, and I have seen it too often over the years and THIS process

that they inject into the field in my opinion, has worsened many issues such as this.

I would sincerely hope that most would reject the actions of the Sharpton/Jackson

methods, and maybe then these who take advantage of the tensions would be

told to stay home. Have a good day TE, thanks again for sharing my friend.

Meant to quote your post too...Very Well Said Jim.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Jim1cor13 ''Thank You'' very much in nailing what I hope was my point of view...We can't see the future lookin' into the past...We can each learn from our own personnel past and contribute that which we learned...not what taught us the lesson. Each has their own battles to fight and we must all relinquish our spoils of victory in these battles to win the ultimate war of the racism...   

Thank you my friends for the feedback.  It is greatly appreciated.  

''TX''....See all them trees...Those trees...They are the forest...That's exactly what the dense forest is made of....''Thanks'' for the Ruby...It's considered a compliment from the sender on this post...''Adolescents has to be tolerated in a mature world''...Just so ya know ''TX'' I didn't give ya the ''Ruby'' your sportin' and I Hope your above the same...Then again I didn't take it away either... 

...for the record skeet, no i did not neg you.  and i wouldn't think any less of you for negging me.  it is in your membership right to provide a plus or a neg.  i take no offense.

• Upvote 2

''TX"...We've agreed on many issues and I've always valued your point of view. I still hold your point of views as a valued contributory to any subject debated. This little ordeal with Michelle just hit a personnel peeve I have with people of influence injecting a sentiment of past hatred into a situation where young people are looking for a brighter future. I just thought Michelle could've thought of a better way to address a young graduating crowd that was about to engage this world with their hopes and dreams...Every person has the right to strive to their full potential from what has been accomplish from the darkest past that all people from all races have fought to over come. I've got my stories from the 60's and 70's where I supported the black movement and was later hospitalized because I was in the wrong part of  black crowd...I learn a lesson...it didn't change my point of view...just where I had my point of view...TX I never entertained the idea that you would ''Ruby'' me...I think too much of your character as a person, even though I haven't met you....  

First make sure you know all the circumstances.  Usually won't be for absolutely nothing.

LOL Shab with all due respect that was the dumbest remark yet in this thread. Not to mention I doubt her girls are forced to eat the crap she was pushing on the schools.

Thank you for highlighting my dumbness respectfully.   :D 

GO RV, then BV

• Upvote 1

quite honestly i believe the issue you all are facing trying to convince us "want to be victims" might be in your delivery.  

I agree. I am a very good communicator but I am not PC. (You seem to be very sensitive and perhaps I should soften my approach.) You will never have to wonder what I think because I will tell you. My delivery aside... if you don't hear me it's because you aren't listening.

Let me first say that I love and respect you Trinity. Your many fine qualities meet and surpass what I look for in a friend. I know you're a good person and that's why I want more for you... specifically, clarity. So here it is:

Until you (and michelle obama) are ready/able to be intellectually honest about the problems within the black community, you will always assign the bulk of the blame for your oppression where it doesn't belong. The reason people perceive some blacks as thugs... is because SOME BLACKS ARE THUGS! It's an honest perception and fear is a natural human response. Of course, it should not be a blanket perception. On behalf of anyone who has ever given you the stinkeye because you are black, I apologize. We are not perfect human beings.

The gangsta RAP music is just a symptom... not the disease. The thug mentality... that so many embrace and emulate, is one thing that is destroying the black culture and creating bad perceptions. Not the music, the MESSAGE. It's a window that allows us a look inside. It seems to say that women are hos (objects) to be used and that violence (not words, hard work, education...) are the accepted tools to get what one wants. RAP is just a reflection of the problems... the fact that so many babies (who are lucky enough not to be aborted) are raised without a strong male role model, the lack of discipline, the drugs, the dropout rate, the black-on-black violence, the chronic disrespect of self and others, and let's not forget the dependency on 'entitlements' that rob them of their incentive and ambitions. Too many are kept just comfortable enough in their cage of poverty to never spread their wings and fly. Welfare was NEVER meant to be a way of life. I don't blame the music but rather the culture that lives, condones or even just tolerates the message. Unless it is a cry for help, it is unacceptable.

Unfortunately, thuggery and irresponsibility is the perception some blacks 'openly' leave us with. Some whites as well, absolutely... I never meant to imply that it's exclusively a black thing. Often white people garner my discerning scrutiny... it would be foolish of me to ignore my instincts! (Victim does not suit me!) But the numbers don't lie. Lets face it... we all have work to do. It is an unsustainable lifestyle and needs to be corrected. If you care to really hear me, this is where we should start...

The Bondage of Dependency and Victimhood. Wherever we see it we work to destroy it. (We'll leave the thuggery to the police!) Perhaps you've heard the term "compassionate conservative"... probably thought it was an oxymoron like jumbo shrimp! Lol! Conservatism is about Liberty and ultimately, Freedom. I'm not going to go all philosophical on ya but, you owe it to yourself to look into it. Tyranny comes in many forms and government is a very powerful tool. We conservatives understand that it is the INDIVIDUAL (the smallest minority of all) who is best served by a small government that FEARS 'we the (individual) people'... NOT the other way around. Free to succeed, free to fail... FREE. Hand up? Hell, yes! Hand out? Not so much. Dependency = Bondage = Tyranny. Let's stop the cycle.

I've tried (and failed!) to keep politics out of the discussion but I would be remiss if I didn't remind you that historically, it has always been the left that fought against equality, promoted dependency, incentivized single parenthood and denied poor and black parents choice in quality education for their children. One of the first things obama did when he got to DC was end the school voucher program. Why? Because ideology trumps common sense. Bureaucracy, teachers unions, control over all that tax-payer money... can't risk that much power and control by giving people choice and competition! Well educated people (like yourself) require more of themselves. They often go out into the world as PRODUCTIVE members of society. They marry. They tend to reproduce responsibly. They don't settle for handouts... and they often vote with their brain - not their body parts or their pigmentation. Victimhood fuels the left. They cannot compete in the arena of ideas without it.

So, the OP is about michelle obama opining about race perceptions keeping blacks down. Preparing them for the hardships of being perpetual victims of white society. It's BS, Trinity. We all get what we give in this world. Be honest and you'll get the truth. Be hard working and you'll get the job. Obey the law and you'll stay out of trouble. Be respectful and you'll get respect. It's the same thing I tell my children. Tell them. SHOW THEM! Hold them to a higher standard and accept nothing less.

The problems in the black community are the 600 lb gorilla sitting to the left of you. You and she would rather pretend it doesn't exist than address it. What do you think will change if you continue to ignore it? Will the perceptions change? The crime rate? The cycle of dependency? The messaging to the youth? No my friend, it will only get worse.

Criticism is all you hear but I'm trying to talk about solutions. Making excuses for bad behavior and giving it a "pass" won't solve it. It seems the left is a one-trick pony... throwing other people's money at every problem. No real results mind you, but they really want to convince us their 'intentions' are good. They're not. Even blacks who speak out are branded "Uncle Tom" or worse and ostracized. There is no room for dissent in the (victim) hood.

What M.O. SHOULD have told that graduating class is...

"CONGRATULATIONS! You've made it... you've EARNED it! Blast off into this world with the expectation that nothing good is easy (for anyone)... but NOTHING is unattainable. I'm so proud of each of you... because YOU will do more to change the negative perceptions than anything else. Your example of personal responsibility will inspire others to choose the same path. That should be your ultimate success... so work hard, dream big, create much, participate fully, give back and NEVER stop inspiring!" ... or something like that! ;) That would be an inspiring message to America, ANY graduate, young person... and maybe even a thug or two!

Are we still on for May 31st? I'll take the gloves off for that! :peace:

• Upvote 9

So, the OP is about michelle obama opining about race perceptions keeping blacks down. Preparing them for the hardships of being perpetual victims of white society. It's BS, Trinity. We all get what we give in this world. Be honest and you'll get the truth. Be hard working and you'll get the job. Obey the law and you'll stay out of trouble. Be respectful and you'll get respect. It's the same thing I tell my children. Tell them. SHOW THEM! Hold them to a higher standard and accept nothing less.

What M.O. SHOULD have told that graduating class is...

"CONGRATULATIONS! You've made it... you've EARNED it! Blast off into this world with the expectation that nothing good is easy (for anyone)... but NOTHING is unattainable. I'm so proud of each of you... because YOU will do more to change the negative perceptions than anything else. Your example of personal responsibility will inspire others to choose the same path. That should be your ultimate success... so work hard, dream big, create much, participate fully, give back and NEVER stop inspiring!" ... or something like that! ;) That would be an inspiring message to America, ANY graduate, young person... and maybe even a thug or two!

This is the end of her speech...

"That’s what’s always happened here at Tuskegee.  Think about those students who made bricks with their bare hands.  They did it so that others could follow them and learn on this campus, too.  Think about that brilliant scientist who made his lab from a trash pile.  He did it because he ultimately wanted to help sharecroppers feed their families.  Those Airmen who rose above brutal discrimination -- they did it so the whole world could see just how high black folks could soar.  That’s the spirit we’ve got to summon to take on the challenges we face today.

And you don’t have to be President of the United States to start addressing things like poverty, and education, and lack of opportunity.  Graduates, today -- today, you can mentor a young person and make sure he or she takes the right path.  Today, you can volunteer at an after-school program or food pantry.  Today, you can help your younger cousin fill out her college financial aid form so that she could be sitting in those chairs one day.  (Applause.)  But just like all those folks who came before us, you’ve got to do something to lay the groundwork for future generations.

That pilot I mentioned earlier -- Charles DeBow -- he didn’t rest on his laurels after making history.  Instead, after he left the Army, he finished his education.  He became a high school English teacher and a college lecturer.  He kept lifting other folks up through education.  He kept fulfilling his “double duty” long after he hung up his uniform. 

And, graduates, that’s what we need from all of you.  We need you to channel the magic of Tuskegee toward the challenges of today.  And here’s what I really want you to know -- you have got everything you need to do this.  You’ve got it in you. Because even if you’re nervous or unsure about what path to take in the years ahead, I want you to realize that you’ve got everything you need right now to succeed.  You’ve got it. 

You’ve got the knowledge and the skills honed here on this hallowed campus.  You’ve got families up in the stands who will support you every step of the way.  And most of all, you’ve got yourselves -- and all of the heart, and grit, and smarts that got you to this day.

And if you rise above the noise and the pressures that surround you, if you stay true to who you are and where you come from, if you have faith in God’s plan for you, then you will keep fulfilling your duty to people all across this country.  And as the years pass, you’ll feel the same freedom that Charles DeBow did when he was taking off in that airplane.  You will feel the bumps smooth off.  You’ll take part in that “never-failing miracle” of progress.  And you’ll be flying through the air, out of this world -- free.

God bless you, graduates. I can’t wait to see how high you soar.  Love you all.  Very proud. 

Thank you."

Link for the full transcript:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2015/05/09/remarks-first-lady-tuskegee-university-commencement-address

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Until you (and michelle obama) are ready/able to be intellectually honest about the problems within the black community, you will always assign the bulk of the blame for your oppression where it doesn't belong. The reason people perceive some blacks as thugs... is because SOME BLACKS ARE THUGS! It's an honest perception and fear is a natural human response. Of course, it should not be a blanket perception. On behalf of anyone who has ever given you the stinkeye because you are black, I apologize. We are not perfect human beings.

The problems in the black community are the 600 lb gorilla sitting to the left of you. You and she would rather pretend it doesn't exist than address it. What do you think will change if you continue to ignore it? Will the perceptions change? The crime rate? The cycle of dependency? The messaging to the youth? No my friend, it will only get worse.

hello again my friend.  thank you for such a thorough response.  i gave you a +1 for your clarity and making points that i can earnestly respond to even though i believe you are missing the mark.  

first of all i honestly (without any proof) don't believe the majority of the folks responding to OP actually watched the 26 minute speech by MO.  i could be wrong but shame on you if you commented on this thread taking a third party as your source - shame on you because by now we know better. and i can see how anyone gathering all of the details from the author of the newsletter would walk away thinking that black people want to stay in the past with a victimized future.....i can fully comprehend getting that message from an individual's writing because admittedly i watched the speech for  myself but never read the OP until a few minutes ago and i was shocked.  however i encourage everyone to listen to the speech for themselves before commenting.  i will address two points here and try keeping it short since this thread has already dragged on too long.  

1. Her speech addressed two situations facing black youth: being a victim of urban plight and being a victim of corporate bias.  MO gave her experience and struggles after entering the white house.  Let's face it, the hate mail she receives on a daily basis would probably be more than any first lady in the history of our nation.  she was very transparent  in her speech as she rounded off talking about how she had to make a decision to be true to herself, authentic to her cause and sincere in her approach.  the newsletter appeared to be written from a certain slant because it did not mention these words, "....that's what i want for all of you....chart yourself to make your mark on the world.....[addressing victimization] those feelings are not an excuse to lose hope.  to succumb to feelings of hate and anger means that in the end we lose.  when we pull ourselves out of the lowest emotional depth, we can build ourselves and our communities up.  we can overcome anything that stands in our way.  and the first thing we have to do is vote....in every election at every level all of the time.  because if you want to have a say in your community and the power to have your own destiny you have to vote vote vote.  that is how we move forward and make progress."
  2. Who in hades said that we pretend problems don't exist in the black community???  Where do you get this from?  That blacks pit blame on others for problems within our own communities???  Do you even know that I grew up surrounded by gang violence; the 8 Miles, 7 Miles, 6 Miles, 76'ers, 6 Mile Smurfs etc?  That I lived off of "8 Mile" the same place in Detroit M&M rapped about??  I lived with a crack house on my street all my life.  I've seen women do things for crack that the angels in heaven shed tears over, and watched people become mindless zombies of the night searching for their next hit at 2-3-4 o'clock in the morning.  I've seen teachers stomped in the middle of school hallways by wolfpack of thugs.  Seen kids walk home in cold, slush and snow with no shoes because they were "checked in".  I grew up in black-on-black crime and never did we blame any of it on another race.  Instead we organized neighborhood watch clubs, built relationships with local police mini-stations, walked our kids home from school.  How do you have the audacity to tell me that we are pretending problems don't exist?!

So in short here is the skinny.  MO actually should have made you proud because firstly she said all the things that you mentioned at the end of your writing.  On top of that her message was one about "Rising Above" and not succumbing to hopelessness and victimization.  She is intimate with the issues facing black youth and she faced it head on letting them know that there are no excuses for becoming a victim.  That just as american black history is rich in the narrative of "Still I Rise", so must this generation continue holding up that narrative.  

So my friend Whatshername I hope I help you to understand that this is not about lack of accountability, irresponsibility or hate.  MO was speaking to a crowd of young people many of whom if they go backward to where they came, they will die.  Your message did not dig down deep enough to help them - sorry, but you do not show the experience of black inner city youth and their struggle.  So how can you speak on it as if you know what they need??  What is fascinating is the message you have been writing about is what was delivered.  Apparently though you do not care for the deliverer or the style of the packaging.  It was a message of hope, accountability, overcoming, and achievement.  Isn't it enough though that the package was delivered?  

Edited by TrinityeXchange
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

TX that's was in lighting to say the least...Please take this time to explain the solutions you have construed to elevate this problem...If we keep missing the point...Please explain the solutions...that have not already been mentioned here as this thread is getting a tad-bit worn...   

TX that's was in lighting to say the least...Please take this time to explain the solutions you have construed to elevate this problem...If we keep missing the point...Please explain the solutions...that have not already been mentioned here as this thread is getting a tad-bit worn...   

The solution is already presented in the crux of what birthed this entire thread.  Black students persevering to complete their degree at Tuskegee University.  These young people are the solution as they launch out into the world to make a difference in their communities as well as the nation holding God and education as their charter.  The enemy is poverty and ignorance, and these students have taken tremendous strides to overcome both.  They are the future to much of what plagues black inner-city plight.  

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Thank You TX...And let us all take a moment to dwell in our own mines the efforts and sacrifices that are the foundation for our youth knowing and understand the support of wisdom that prevails for all who pursue the chance to achieve it....One day beside havin' to give examples...we can simply be known to react with a ''satisfying smile''...  :tiphat:

The solution is already presented in the crux of what birthed this entire thread.  Black students persevering to complete their degree at Tuskegee University.  These young people are the solution as they launch out into the world to make a difference in their communities as well as the nation holding God and education as their charter.  The enemy is poverty and ignorance, and these students have taken tremendous strides to overcome both.  They are the future to much of what plagues black inner-city plight.  

Well said and simple... straight to heart of the solution, Trinity!  :twothumbs:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1