Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

New York state police handcuff and shackle 'combative' five-year-old

umbertino

• Officers arrived after school reported boy was disruptive and uncontrollable
  •  
  • They handcuffed him for ‘his safety’ and safety of staff, spokesman says

Ed Pilkington in New York

Monday 4 May 2015 12.00 BST

The idea that police officers should use handcuffs and leg shackles to control an unruly individual is hardly unusual in the US, where fondness for the use of metal restraints runs through the criminal justice system.

What is unusual is when the individual in question is five years old, and the arrest takes place in an elementary school.

New York state police were called last week to the primary school in Philadelphia, New York, close to the Canadian border, after staff reported that a pupil, Connor Ruiz, was disruptive and uncontrollable. When officers arrived at the premises, they placed the five-year-old boy in handcuffs, carried him out to a patrol car and put his feet into shackles before taking him to a medical center for evaluation.

The child’s mother, Chelsea Ruiz, told the local Watertown Daily Times she was shocked and angered by what had happened.

“An officer told me they had to handcuff his wrists and ankles for their safety,” she said. “I told him that was ridiculous. How could someone fear for their safety when it comes to a small, five-year-old child?”

A spokesman for the state police force, Jack Keller, justified the constraints on grounds that the child was “out of control” and “combative”, and was deemed to be a danger to himself or staff. Troopers had found him “screaming, kicking, punching and biting”.

“Our concern was his safety, of not only himself but the staff he was dealing with and the other students in the class where he was,” Keller said.

Handcuffing of young children is frequently reported in the US. Last December, a child aged four was handcuffed in Nathanael Greene primary school in Stanardsville, Virginia.

In 2013, the handcuffing of a nine-year-old girl in Portland, Oregon prompted a public outcry that forced the police department to revise its rules. The new procedures forbid officers from handcuffing a child under 12, unless they pose a “heightened risk to safety”.

Ruiz said that two weeks ago she had placed her son in a special-needs class, precisely to avoid the kind of incident that occurred when police were called to the school.

“We had a plan in place so they would call me to come to the school if they couldn’t calm him down,” she said, “and they didn’t do that.”

She said Connor was “terrified of going back to school”, and added that she planned to transfer him to a different school district.

A-young-man-in-handcuffs-011.jpg

Handcuffing of young children is frequently reported in the US. Photograph: Sipa Press/Rex Features

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/may/04/new-york-state-police-handcuff-shackle-connor-ruiz

If the principals were allowed to fire that butt up then the police would have never been called.  My experience has been the problem, in most cases, starts with the parenting or lack there of.  Kids have no boundaries.  And they see boundaries as love and caring.  "My mama don't care how late I stay out", "My mama don't care what I watch on T.V.",  "My mama don't care if I play in the street......".  All equate to MY MAMA DON"T CARE.  I love the example set by the mother in Baltimore last week upon seeing her son rioting in the streets.  She read him the riot act !  Great job Mom!  If every child had parents like that Baltimore would have never happened.  Step up parents, do your job.  And it ain't being their buddy, pal or friend.  If your kids like you all the time you're not doing you job.

I want my kids to know that I'd do anything FOR them or anything TO them, if needed and they get to pick by how they choose to act.

To all those moms out there getting the job done :salute:

Happy Mother's Day !!

• Upvote 3

I was in kindergarten  for 3 years (3- 6)...I escaped ( true) the place not once but twice... Since I used to live nearby  , the moment I reached home , Mother took me back right away   and gave KG folks hell ( about me being in potential danger, etc...). Problem was I couldn't stand the thought of always having lunch without my parents.

So... The 2nd time ( I was around 4 - 5)  I , being the smart-a$$ kid I was... Thought to myself " I ain't goin' back home as Mama will spank me and take me back real quick "....So I basically walked / ran through a fair portion of my hometown ( full of streets to cross, and 1  rail overpass ) and walked hurriedly ( a li'l bit scared) to my Grandma who obviously adored me  like Mother or more.....Took me maybe 40 mins to get there...

This time Mother came pick me at Grandma's  and did not take me back to KG...Next day she took me there and I recall her shouting  to the  People there  saying " It's the 2nd time, it's the 2nd time!"

Edited by umbertino

Umbertino when I was 5 and I acted like that in school, the least of my worries were the teachers or the cops. It was my dad. My ass would get beat so bad that I would never act like that again. Now days it seems the kids are telling the adults/ teachers what to do! This world is definitely screwed up. Discipline seems to be non existent with many parents these days including me. I have 2 older daughters that I really never had to spank. Culture has changed dramatically. It's sad to see the lack of respect younger people show adults today.

Umbertino when I was 5 and I acted like that in school, the least of my worries were the teachers or the cops. It was my dad. My ass would get beat so bad that I would never act like that again. Now days it seems the kids are telling the adults/ teachers what to do! This world is definitely screwed up. Discipline seems to be non existent with many parents these days including me. I have 2 older daughters that I really never had to spank. Culture has changed dramatically. It's sad to see the lack of respect younger people show adults today.

Grazie for sharing,sxsess... I understand your reasoning...

Hope all is fine with you and yours, my Friend...Ciao