Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Black suspect dies after Baltimore cops break his spine in ‘brutal’ police beating

umbertino

Hi Maggie....miss you.  Can't seem to leave you a message on your page.  Hope all is well.   :D 

GO RV, then BV

She's greatly missed.....Hope she'll be able to get back posting. Ciao Maggie.

too funny.  after 5 pages of discussion advancing past that topic, you come right back to it.  only one comment on black wall street.  and no comments on this video.  everybody arguing the obvious.  nobody here said there weren't good-and-bad-cops.  nobody even brought up slavery or taking accountability.  

what some of us want to know is how people "in custody" end up dead?  how the subdued end up in emergency?  but nope, just keep ignoring that and let's get back to "break the law and go to jail."  so this topic was dead before it even got started because no one has the courage to address the issue.  OP posted information where a man had his spinal cord severed who was "in custody".  they had him, he was compliant, subdued.  between the police wagon and the station, he died.  

"break the law, you die!"  

is that really what you meant to say dog53?  violators must die.  because that is what i have gotten out of this thread.  

Grazie Trinity......

"Running While Black": Protests Swell over Death of Freddie Gray in Baltimore Police Custody

Thursday, April 23, 2015

http://www.democracynow.org/2015/4/23/running_while_black_protests_swell_over

Edited by umbertino
  • Upvote 2

Trinity

Throwing the "Black Wall Street" card is a little like obama trying to use the crusades to justify Muslim extremism.  The anniversary of the Tulsa Riots of 1921 is coming up and we should talk about it.  If you'd like, I'll start the thread... it was an unimaginable tragedy and should be remembered... nearly 100 years later... all involved long gone, both guilty and innocent... but let's denounce it together. 

This thread is about the tragedy plaguing the black community TODAY... the danger of just being black in America...

Its not the cops. Its blacks killing black.

Come on lets be real. If there were no cops in Chicago there would be no business`s 

There would be no neighborhoods . There would only be war in the streets.

Thanks for saying it Dog.  Someone needed to  B)

Fact:  93% of blacks are killed by other blacks. 

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/htus8008.pdf

10 black-on-black homicides in Chicago last week...

http://homicides.redeyechicago.com/

We can't have an honest conversation about race until EVERYONE is prepared to take some personal responsibility.  I will be outraged about police brutality when I see the black community address their lack of respect for the LAW, OTHER PEOPLE and THEMSELVES.  

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Hi Dog :)

Haha I don't want to "kick your a$$" how about a civil conversation instead?

I see a very big problem...going on right now... can't figure for the life of me how you don't see it too.

I don't see people standing up for their rights or other peoples rights as victims...not at all...in fact it takes courage!

Trinity reminds me of a young man that I've had the pleasure of getting to know through his friendship with my daughter over the past few years as he has been attending university here. He grew up in LA so he is pretty savvy on how to stay "safe". He is an extra-ordinary human being, everyone that knows him, loves him. :) He has no record but decided that he would not have a car here because this is a very...eh hm...non-diverse city. He told me he would be a moving target, same as walking but more expensive and the constant tickets would break his school budget. So he walks everywhere, even though they know him very well by now, they still "pull him over" but at least it doesn't cost him money every time. I asked him what his experience had been here, he wasn't whining or complaining, he was just matter of fact about why he had made that decision. Last fall he went to LA to participate in the protests there. He was part of what they were calling a "die in" (rather than a "sit in") they laid down in the street and blocked traffic. He said he was fully aware of the danger in doing that but it wasn't violent and he would have left at any first sign of that. That Took Courage!

What do you suggest they do...write letters? Truth is I would like to be marching right along with them and I support any peaceful resistance or protest that are going on. It is high time that this corrupt system gets put out in the light of day and we all work towards getting this turned around. This is a very real and CURRENT problem...not something to be twisted into something that happened in the past and "time to move along...nothing to see here" as some would like to say.

PS. This is the same young man I was talking about in the "Can Muslims Be Good Americans?" thread..you get my drift?

He was nominated by a few of his professors as "Senior of The Year" and just won the award! I'm so proud of him I could bust!!!

But thats exactly the point Mag.  I do agree that this needs to be investigated and the guilty party s brought to justice.

You know me well enough by now to know I dont like my words twisted around and I dont like when people try to act as if they know whats in my head. Cause they dont.

If I see a injustice I will be the first in line to march and correct the problem. I just dont think there is a police brutality problem in this country that

effects only the black population. It effects all of us. Yes there are bad cops. But if you live your life with in the boundaries of the law most the time you will not get messed with.Not always but most the time. Hell how many times have I told this forum I used to get pulled over on a regular basis for driving under the suspicion of being a Indian.

Yeah it sucks. BUT you do as they say. You spread out with your hands on the hood and let them do their thing.

Then you leave in one piece.

• Upvote 2

We can't have an honest conversation about race until EVERYONE is prepared to take some personal responsibility.  I will be outraged about police brutality when I see the black community address their lack of respect for the LAW, OTHER PEOPLE and THEMSELVES.  

help me understand a few things because i am COMPLETELY lost.  i need clarity because as usual with threads like these there are numerous shots being fired from multiple directions and it gets hard to keep up with.  

• so one poster writes that it is understandable for cops to see ALL blacks and latinos as a death threat and remain a cop.  to me that is sick!  but this forum welcomes and accepts this ideal.  now flip it for a second.  since most of you i assume are caucasian, what if you were the minority and i write it is understandable for black cops to see ALL caucasians citizens as a death threat.  what does that say to you and your children?  and not one of you corrected it which help me to understand the type of crowd i am dealing with.
  • next the topic of responsibility and seeing myself as a victim.  where are you getting this from that blacks don't take responsibility and see themselves only as a victim??!  where have i ever wrote in any post on dv that "i am a victim"?  i am well studied, well educated, raising a healthy family, i pray often, i fast often, i am not a christian in word but in deed i literally seek God, and i am an upstanding member of the community.  additionally NONE of the black people i associate with see themselves as victims in some hopeless situation.  black people are survivors!  my grandparents and great grandparents survived deplorable situations but never got bitter.  i visited my mothers original home and it was a shack (literally) sitting on a plantation where my uncles and aunties were still sharecropping and heading out every morning to work "the good misters" land.  but they were happy people, never hating.  you know why, because we have Jesus!  he is our answer, help, deliverance, hope, joy, love, purpose and reason for living.  the black church is so alive and ingrained in our lives because it was Jesus who taught us community when everything else was stripped away by the "white man" and his system of exploitation and greed that survives today.  so NO we are not victims.  my grandmother would treat a caucasian person with as much hospitality as a black person because we don't hold hate in us.  there is no room for Jesus and hate.  (but i can show you pictures where caucasians were having church next to swinging bodies from trees....explain that)
  • then you write that blacks don't respect law.  where are you getting that from??  show me the statistic because we have the utmost respect for law AND order.  and please don't associate black citizens with gangs, murderers and extortioners!  just about every black citizen that i know has had some type of inappropriate run-in with the police.  all of my life it has been accepted as just part of black culture....being black in america.  it is as acceptable as drinking water and breathing air.  we have more respect for police than caucasians that i know because we know that one wrong jerky move, raising of the voice, hint of showing aggression, can result in being killed.  caucasians, from what i have seen, have no problem asking the police to "explain their actions" or give account for "why are you detaining me".  we say things like, "officer i am going to remove my hands from the steering wheel, reach into my glove compartment, get my registration, and hand it to you....is that okay sir?"  this is our reality and we deal with it and we teach our children how to deal with it.
  • next some argue that if blacks wouldn't break the law, they would have nothing to worry about.  WHAT?!  are you serious?!!  so i provide you evidence beginning in the 1900 modern age up until today of where no law was broken but yet we are demonized.  i show you Black Wall Street, the Innocence Project, CIA's project promoting crack cocaine sales in the black community, the Siphilus Project, the destruction of the Black Panther Party, plus pointed evidence of citizens being beaten for doing nothing wrong at all.  i tell you that i was frisked on the side of my own church as a kid for wrestling in the grass but yet none of this means anything to you.  and your reply, "stop breaking the law and these things wont happen to you."  

many of you have never opened your hearts to the atrocities of others because doing so would mean possibly admitting that this country you love so much is not as "liberty and justice for all" as you have taught your children about.  and unfortunately you will see no further than what your heart allows.  truths that foreigners can even see so readily is hid from you.  my father told me once about his experience in vietnam.  he said to me that the black man perplexed the vietnamese.  they struggled to grasp the concept of how black men could be over there dying for a country that hates them.  but ask a caucasian about the hate referenced by the vietnamese and he will swear it does not exist but only in one's imagination.  however, let me be a fly on the wall at his family reunion though and then the truth comes out......doesn't it.  be the napkin sitting at the table amongst his friends and i might hear them call me the devil incarnate.  what is more is how many of you would actually interject yourself and correct the conversation?  interestingly though among my black friends it is not like that.  we don't hate people because of who they are.  we admire larry bird as much as we do magic johnson.  we debate about obama as much as we did george bush.  but we don't harbor the hate.....Jesus does not permit. we honestly see all men as equal.

and so this thread has exhausted me.  believe it or not, i already knew the responses that would come because some of your thinking is as aged as this country.  i only peeked in hoping that 1 or 2 would grow in enlightenment.  i knew most would draw a line in the sand and stick to their guns.  so i lost nothing and you lost nothing.  thanks all for sharing.  see you in the news section.

be blessed my friends

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I see that my comment about how some cops can get to where they see all blacks or latinos and threats has been taken totally out of context.  But then again many are unable to have real discussions.  Like I said earlier ask those who watched people die close up at the hands of a particular group and see how many of them years later see most if not all of that particular group still with concern.  But, then again, people would have to admit that everyone has some degree of bias and predudice and some of the more righteous on here, usually the open minded liberals, refuse to admit to reality like bias.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Trinity: "i will stand with you in truth and not turn a blind eye to injustice"

I stand beside you right now Trinity...please know there are many people who see the truth (a flawed system) and want to change the system to a more just one. Thank you for trying to raise awareness where there seems to be little desire to see what is/has been going on. That took courage and I admire you for that very much.

Be Blessed Trinity

Grazie Maggie...

Mods please please please....I understand ( correct me if I'm wrong) she's still on mod review ( and has been for some time now)... Would it be possible to lift it ( the mod review) at this time and get her back to her normal posting status?  ....Many here miss her posts.... Grazie in advance and that would be much appreciated.

Her b-day is on the 26th... That'd be a nice gesture in light of this event... Again Grazie.

Edited by umbertino
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

help me understand a few things because i am COMPLETELY lost.  i need clarity because as usual with threads like these there are numerous shots being fired from multiple directions and it gets hard to keep up with.

• so one poster writes that it is understandable for cops to see ALL blacks and latinos as a death threat and remain a cop.  to me that is sick!  but this forum welcomes and accepts this ideal.  now flip it for a second.  since most of you i assume are caucasian, what if you were the minority and i write it is understandable for black cops to see ALL caucasians citizens as a death threat.  what does that say to you and your children?  and not one of you corrected it which help me to understand the type of crowd i am dealing with.
  • next the topic of responsibility and seeing myself as a victim.  where are you getting this from that blacks don't take responsibility and see themselves only as a victim??!  where have i ever wrote in any post on dv that "i am a victim"?  i am well studied, well educated, raising a healthy family, i pray often, i fast often, i am not a christian in word but in deed i literally seek God, and i am an upstanding member of the community.  additionally NONE of the black people i associate with see themselves as victims in some hopeless situation.  black people are survivors!  my grandparents and great grandparents survived deplorable situations but never got bitter.  i visited my mothers original home and it was a shack (literally) sitting on a plantation where my uncles and aunties were still sharecropping and heading out every morning to work "the good misters" land.  but they were happy people, never hating.  you know why, because we have Jesus!  he is our answer, help, deliverance, hope, joy, love, purpose and reason for living.  the black church is so alive and ingrained in our lives because it was Jesus who taught us community when everything else was stripped away by the "white man" and his system of exploitation and greed that survives today.  so NO we are not victims.  my grandmother would treat a caucasian person with as much hospitality as a black person because we don't hold hate in us.  there is no room for Jesus and hate.  (but i can show you pictures where caucasians were having church next to swinging bodies from trees....explain that)
  • then you write that blacks don't respect law.  where are you getting that from??  show me the statistic because we have the utmost respect for law AND order.  and please don't associate black citizens with gangs, murderers and extortioners!  just about every black citizen that i know has had some type of inappropriate run-in with the police.  all of my life it has been accepted as just part of black culture....being black in america.  it is as acceptable as drinking water and breathing air.  we have more respect for police than caucasians that i know because we know that one wrong jerky move, raising of the voice, hint of showing aggression, can result in being killed.  caucasians, from what i have seen, have no problem asking the police to "explain their actions" or give account for "why are you detaining me".  we say things like, "officer i am going to remove my hands from the steering wheel, reach into my glove compartment, get my registration, and hand it to you....is that okay sir?"  this is our reality and we deal with it and we teach our children how to deal with it.
  • next some argue that if blacks wouldn't break the law, they would have nothing to worry about.  WHAT?!  are you serious?!!  so i provide you evidence beginning in the 1900 modern age up until today of where no law was broken but yet we are demonized.  i show you Black Wall Street, the Innocence Project, CIA's project promoting crack cocaine sales in the black community, the Siphilus Project, the destruction of the Black Panther Party, plus pointed evidence of citizens being beaten for doing nothing wrong at all.  i tell you that i was frisked on the side of my own church as a kid for wrestling in the grass but yet none of this means anything to you.  and your reply, "stop breaking the law and these things wont happen to you."  
many of you have never opened your hearts to the atrocities of others because doing so would mean possibly admitting that this country you love so much is not as "liberty and justice for all" as you have taught your children about.  and unfortunately you will see no further than what your heart allows.  truths that foreigners can even see so readily is hid from you.  my father told me once about his experience in vietnam.  he said to me that the black man perplexed the vietnamese.  they struggled to grasp the concept of how black men could be over there dying for a country that hates them.  but ask a caucasian about the hate referenced by the vietnamese and he will swear it does not exist but only in one's imagination.  however, let me be a fly on the wall at his family reunion though and then the truth comes out......doesn't it.  be the napkin sitting at the table amongst his friends and i might hear them call me the devil incarnate.  what is more is how many of you would actually interject yourself and correct the conversation?  interestingly though among my black friends it is not like that.  we don't hate people because of who they are.  we admire larry bird as much as we do magic johnson.  we debate about obama as much as we did george bush.  but we don't harbor the hate.....Jesus does not permit. we honestly see all men as equal.

and so this thread has exhausted me.  believe it or not, i already knew the responses that would come because some of your thinking is as aged as this country.  i only peeked in hoping that 1 or 2 would grow in enlightenment.  i knew most would draw a line in the sand and stick to their guns.  so i lost nothing and you lost nothing.  thanks all for sharing.  see you in the news section.

be blessed my friends

You seem like a very nice person trinity. But I think this is your greatest flaw.

i assume

Edited by Markinsa
Fixed Quote Box
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Please allow me to try and place it more simply.  I have worked hard not to be a racist or have prejudice.  I was born in Chicago and lived in and around Chicago.  Some of this was during the 60's and 70's.  For those old enough to remember, those were not the best of times in Chicago.  I still tried not to be prejudice.  I knew a great number of wonderful black people who were nothing like the Panthers.  Later in life I owned my own security company which specialized in working in high Hispanic populations.  My partner in the company was a big Hispanic born in Texas.  After so many years of death threats from the drug mules and middle line dealers we all started looking at them differently.  Keep in mind this also included my partner who already has a different view of Mexicans vesus Hispanics.  If you do not think there is a difference, ask a Hispanic and you will learn.  I have difficulty with mexicans.  I see a group of mexican boys and my alarm goes from yellow to orange.  They do not have to do anything because in the past if I did not immediately highten my alarm system I could be either hospitalize or dead.  Any of you who have been in similar situations know exactly what I mean.  You take a cop who works in a high hispanic or black community and he WILL see them as a potential threat.  Just like any cop working in a predominate white community will see characteristic and have his alarm go up.  This is natural.  If you say you never had this happen it is either because you have never been there, are lying, or are dead.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

For those who do not see a problem...there is nothing more to say...

For those who do see a continually worsening problem or perhaps we are just becoming more aware of what has always been there, here are some inspiring words from Edmund Burke:

“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

Here are others by Burke:

“Nobody makes a greater mistake than he who does nothing because he could only do a little”

“Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it.”

**My favorite**
“No passion so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.”

“The greater the power, the more dangerous the abuse.”

“But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.”

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I know exactly where your coming from. I have walked mean streets most my life.

If Im in a bad neighborhood im going to be watching those that make it bad.

I can get along with anybody . I can also be a threat to those that would choose to harm me.

I have had many cop friends in my life. Good men who helped their community.

help the old and try to give the kids someone to look up to.

These same men would kill you in a New York minute  if you are a threat.

Its called doing your job.  But with that being said I have seen bad cops you cant turn your back on and have to avoid

• Upvote 1

For those who do not see a problem...there is nothing more to say...

For those who do see a continually worsening problem or perhaps we are just becoming more aware of what has always been there, here are some inspiring words from Edmund Burke:

“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

Here are others by Burke:

“Nobody makes a greater mistake than he who does nothing because he could only do a little”

“Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it.”

**My favorite**

“No passion so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.”

“The greater the power, the more dangerous the abuse.”

“But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.”

Grazie Maggie...Happy Birthday

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I am really tired of watching these idiots protest by damaging everything in sight.  Who is going to pay for the repair on the police cars?  It's going to be the good people of the community paying for the dang idiots and morons.  Too bad they cannot find out if the majority of the protesters are not on welfare and take it out of the State's budget.  Just like Ferguson they do not deserve to have the area rebuilt.  They want a slum, give them a slum and pay for the good people to leave.  They do not want the police so let the police stay away from them and allow the idiots to kill each other off.  Then, once they have killed themselves all off maybe the community could once again return to peace.

• Upvote 1