Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Black suspect dies after Baltimore cops break his spine in ‘brutal’ police beating

umbertino

Jin Zhao
19 Apr 2015 at 13:57 ET

A man injured after being arrested by the Baltimore police died today, according to the Baltimore Sun.

Freddie Gray had to undergo a double surgery on three broken vertebrae and an injured voice box on Tuesday, after he was released by the police. He died today after days of remaining in a coma.

The 27-year old was arrested last week for an undisclosed violation. The police said that he was restrained on the ground by an officer during the arrest, but appeared to be fine when he was taken to the district station. However, a cell phone video shows that the arresting officers used force that some may seen as “brutal.”

Protests have broken out in his neighborhood since Gray was sent to the hospital.

“What happened to Freddie was unnecessary and uncalled for,” the Rev. Jamal Harrison Bryant of the Empowerment Temple said to protestors on Saturday. “All of those police officers involved need to be held accountable and answer for what they did, and need to be terminated from their positions,” he urged.

The case is pending a review by a “blue-ribbon” panel commissioned by the police.

arrest-800x430.jpg

Arrest of Freddie Gray (Screen capture)

Video on link

I am really sick and tired of all the cop hating.  These people but on a uniform daily and go out into a world that increasingly hates them simply to try and protect the scum screaming the loudest against them.  It is about time people shut up and started actually appreciating the sacrifice that these people give every stinking single day.  These people get paid ^&*() but get out and do their jobs.  I would never have the personal retrain that it takes to be a cop.  Let's start appreciating and thanking these people instead of griping all the time.  

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 7

You have good/bad cops and there are videos when people deserve to be restrained with extra force and some that don't.  I have been around both and I know the shady stories of the ones around my area of what they do to people...  They involve rape and stealing to name a couple.  Not sure what world you live in to think they are all upright citzens because they wear a badge.

Edited by Perspective2011
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

You have good/bad cops and there are videos when people deserve to be restrained with extra force and some that don't.  I have been around both and I know the shady stories of the ones around my area of what they do to people...  They involve rape and stealing to name a couple.  Not sure what world you live in to think they are all upright citzens because they wear a badge.

And that again  is all over the world...Grazie Perspective.

Edited by umbertino
  • Upvote 2

Why must the suspect be identified as black in the headline?  More divisive hype by the media.   Shame on them... again.

because through the advent of mobile cameras, some are just now awakening to crimes perpetrated against minority men in our society.  these crimes have gone on all of our lives in the inner city....we grew used to it; violation of constitutional rights, illegal seizures, illegal arrests, harassment, etc.  ask a caucasian male if they grew up in a neighborhood where these were everyday realisms and most will look at you quizzically.  

however technological advancements is making it increasingly difficult to brush these violations away.  responses like the ones given by bohica is no longer relevant.  we have an issue in the country that has followed us since adopting the spirit of slavery to fund the economy, and until we come together a destroy these tenets and the mindset spawned from such evil, racial hate will persist.  

what we see happening in iraq where shia militias are suppressing sunni neighborhoods is translated into america under the same narrative, different actors.  until love prevails, men in power will always tread.

Edited by TrinityeXchange
  • Upvote 5

I would wish for all these phoney "Reverends" to preach a little more on becoming a valued and contributing citizen of their city rather than the race baiting and police hating in their pulpit...All these fine upstanding and law abiding citizens first need to learn to respect themselves before they can respect their preachers, parents and law enforcement. Yeah there are bad cops out there just like there are bad politicians, preachers, military and other professions in the world but putting yourself in a position to be killed by any of these bad people is just crazy...sorry, rant over

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

because through the advent of mobile cameras, some are just now awakening to crimes perpetrated against minority men in our society.  these crimes have gone on all of our lives in the inner city....we grew used to it; violation of constitutional rights, illegal seizures, illegal arrests, harassment, etc.  ask a caucasian male if they grew up in a neighborhood where these were everyday realisms and most will look at you quizzically.  

however technological advancements is making it increasingly difficult to brush these violations away.  responses like the ones given by bohica is no longer relevant.  we have an issue in the country that has followed us since adopting the spirit of slavery to fund the economy, and until we come together a destroy these tenets and the mindset spawned from such evil, racial hate will persist.  

what we see happening in iraq where shia militias are suppressing sunni neighborhoods is translated into america under the same narrative, different actors.  until love prevails, men in power will always tread.

Thanks for the response Trinity...  however, my question was really more rhetorical, as the answer is simple and obvious:  Simply replace "black" with "white" in the headline, and see how equally ludicrous the "attempt" to divide is.  And there are plenty of stories with white suspects involved, in plenty of places around the country.  Leave race out of it.  Period.  

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

and these responses narrate why the problem will forever persist in this country.  as long as we hide our heads in the sand of racially motivated police brutality and not admit to it, we can never address the problem.  the very reason there was a need to pass the Fair Sentencing Act speaks volumes to a racial justice in our society.   for some of you not to accept or recognize it is disturbing.  how do you go about refusing to see it??

Federal Report on Ferguson:

African Americans experience disparate impact in nearly every aspect of Ferguson’s law enforcement system. Despite making up 67 percent of the population, African Americans accounted for 85 percent  of FPD’s traffic stops, 90 percent  of FPD’s citations, and 93 percent  of FPD’s arrests from 2012 to 2014. (read more)

i have lived what many of you read and hypothesize about.  some of you would tell me to be a "good citizen" and good will come my way.  but you haven't lived the story of you and your sibling being slapped up against the outside of your church and frisked down by cops at the age of 12 and 9 simply for wrestling with each other on the front lawn.  for none other reason than to teach inner city children to fear the police.  this is not your reality, and i get it.  but don't close your minds so quickly is all i am appealing.  

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

and these responses narrate why the problem will forever persist in this country.  as long as we hide our heads in the sand of racially motivated police brutality and not admit to it, we can never address the problem.  the very reason there was a need to pass the Fair Sentencing Act speaks volumes to a racial justice in our society.   for some of you not to accept or recognize it is disturbing.  how do you go about refusing to see it??

African Americans experience disparate impact in nearly every aspect of Ferguson’s law enforcement system. Despite making up 67 percent of the population, African Americans accounted for 85 percent  of FPD’s traffic stops, 90 percent  of FPD’s citations, and 93 percent  of FPD’s arrests from 2012 to 2014. (read more)

i have lived what many of you read and hypothesize about.  some of you would tell me to be a "good citizen" and good will come my way.  but you haven't lived the story of you and your sibling being slapped up against the outside of your church and frisked down by cops at the age of 12 and 9 simply for wrestling with each other on the front lawn.  for none other reason than to teach inner city children to fear the police.  this is not your reality, and i get it.  but don't close your minds so quickly is all i am appealing.  

I'm not sure why you were negged for your opinion......took care of one for you.   :peace: 

GO RV, then BV

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Do you also know the good cops and what they do?  Or is it just the bad that you know?  Just wondering.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Yes, I meant to quote bohica incase you thought that was towards you and your topic. :)

I got it of course...And I happen to fully agree with all you stated....Grazie! Ciao

however technological advancements is making it increasingly difficult to brush these violations away

End Quote

Exactly Trinity.....Grazie.

Edited by umbertino
  • Upvote 1

Hello Trinity.....I ( even if I happen to be a non-US Citizen , which is not a fault yet, I hope...but it's a Country that I love anyway having spent relatively much time there in the past and where I have many real Friends to this day)  do admire you  a lot for being brave enough to say what you said as much of it is still taboo.  JMVHO .

Grazie from me.

Edited by umbertino
  • Upvote 1

dog53,

Your post was very offensive to me and just plain IGNORANT!!

Maybe YOU should be beat up by cops and see how it FEELS!!

This young man DIED needlessly!!

:rolleyes::angry::shakehead::mad:

Sweety i have been beat up by the cops. 

On many occasion.

Dog lead a very reckless life as a young man.

and not one of those times the cops kicked my a$$

I didnt deserve it.  Yes it seems that the cops obviously went to far in this case.

although I say that not knowing the full story here. and yes it IS a  

tragedy when any young man loses their life. But alot has to do with people putting themselves in to

these positions where they put themselves at the mercy of the police.

this can be avoided by not breaking the law.  

I learned it. and if I can learn it anyone can.

So my dear very sorry to have offended you but

I`m thinking you`ll probably get over it.   

• Upvote 5

I aggree with Jaxinjersey. The media paints it all black victims. Its all colors. And yes there are good guys and bad guys in every profession. The problem is the bad guys in police uniforms have peoples lives in their hands and murder people because they have court system to back them up and get away with it. IN other professions serious incidents results in getting fired from their job for doing things that at most cost somebody some money, but not peoples life.  :twocents:

• Upvote 1

Perspective:  I do not know what you take me for but I know there are bad cops.  I lived through bad cops.  This one dealt in drugs and sexual coverup of the abuse of a minor.  I rattled his cage by exposing him and was told last time anyone rattled him like I did disappeared.  I have no idea who you are or what bone you have to pick with cops.  I also have two brothers who are retired good cops.  A good cop has to not only deal with the idiots out there who never appreciate what they do but also have to deal with the bad cops.  Maybe next time you need help you should call someone other than a cop if you think they are so bad.  You have no idea of what a cop family goes thought hoping and praying to God Almighty never to get 'the call'.  Idiots who do not appreciate the good cops and only can complain about the bad make me sick.  I am so tired of armchair professionals who have never been behind a warehouse at 0200 just hoping to get back home.  These idiots who want to do nothing but complain need to shut up and start doing something to help them out.  

• Upvote 3

I would venture to say that no matter whether the cop is bad or good, the suspects deserve the right to a fair trial.  Killing them without due process seems a bit extreme. Cops do have the right to stay alive but so do the suspects.

• Upvote 2

it's like the old song says "walk a mile in my shoes..."

when I was maybe 12 or 13  and Mattel had a cap gun with a very loud sound... a policeman whirled and fired on two youngsters playing between tenement buildings with them....he walked of course...one of the children died

when I purchased my very first brand new car as a senior at the Air Force Academy...I was stopped outside of Denver for an "inoperative tail light"....and sat with my fiancé (now my wife of nearly 46 years) for a good 15 minutes or so while he checked to see if any Cadet vehicles were reported stolen

stopped many times over the years for DWB

BUT

when my son got his first car he was stopped...roughed up...had his briefcase and its contents strewn on the street....

when he married a fair-skinned Puerto Rican girl...they were stopped ...he was taken and put in the squad car while the "officer" asked his wife "...did this "n-word" rape you ?"

when he restored a Charger (much like the Dukes car) he was stopped and the car was confiscated...

if we had not raised him right he might have turned bitter for the many abuses he suffered at the hands of police these are just a few examples

but perhaps the worst case was my younger son who was offered a lift home after a birthday bash during which he became too inebriated to drive...sadly the driver was also impaired...after a horrible crash in which several people died he woke up handcuffed to a hospital bed because they initially "assumed" he was driving...

again I say......walk a mile in my shoes...

PS ...you might want to ask why 80% of a Missouri Police Force resigned on the spot when their city elected its first black femaie mayor...(sorry my cut and paste is not working or I would bring the link....  Parma, Mo

• Upvote 5