Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Medieval garlic and bile potion kills MRSA superbug

Could a 1,000-year-old concoction be the answer to stopping superbugs?

Christina Lee, an Anglo-Saxon expert at the University of Nottingham, found the recipe for a remedy for eye infections in a 10th Century medical volume called Bald's Leechbook, one of the earliest known medical textbooks. The instructions were clear -- clear enough to follow today -- so she brought it to a microbiology lab at the university to see if it really works against bacteria.

In its original Old English, the recipe -- which may date back even further, to the 9th Century -- called for two species of Allium (garlic and onion or leek), wine and bile from a cow's stomach. The topical potion was brewed in a brass vessel, strained and left to sit for nine days.

The ingredients on their own are known to have antibacterial properties, so it seemed like a good bet.

"We thought that Bald's eyesalve might show a small amount of antibiotic activity, because each of the ingredients has been shown by other researchers to have some effect on bacteria in the lab," said microbiologist Freya Harrison. "Copper and bile salts can kill bacteria, and the garlic family of plants make chemicals that interfere with the bacteria's ability to damage infected tissues."

When they performed their tests, they "were absolutely blown away by just how effective the combination of ingredients was."

They used fresh ingredients according to the original instructions and exposed populations of Staphylococcus aureaus, the antibiotic-resistant bacteria MRSA, to the potion both in lab cultures and on infected wounds in mice. It obliterated the MRSA, killing 999 out of 1,000 bacterial cells.

"We were genuinely astonished at the results of our experiments in the lab. We believe modern research into disease can benefit from past responses and knowledge, which is largely contained in non-scientific writings," said Lee, adding that remedies like this one "were developed well before the modern understanding of germ theory."

Steve Diggle of the microbiology lab pointed out that this was also before the invention of the scientific method of carefully planned experimentation.

"When we built this recipe in the lab I didn't really expect it to actually do anything," he said. "When we found that it could actually disrupt and kill cells in S. aureus biofilms, I was genuinely amazed. Biofilms are naturally antibiotic resistant and difficult to treat so this was a great result."

Antibiotic resistance is a growing problem around the world. Repeated exposure to antibiotics can lead germs to develop resistance to the drugs, making these life-saving treatments no longer effective. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that drug-resistant bacteria cause 23,000 deaths and 2 million illnesses each year in the United States alone.

MRSA -- methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus -- is a major problem in hospitals, where it can lead to life-threatening pneumonia and bloodstream infections. There were two superbug outbreaks at Los Angeles hospitals this year, linked to a medical device called a duodenoscope. New research finds the superbug is now taking up residence in American homes.

Last week, the White House announced a five-year plan to fight the danger posed by antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

"The rise of antibiotic resistance in pathogenic bacteria and the lack of new antimicrobials in the developmental pipeline are key challenges for human health," said Harrison. "There is a pressing need to develop new strategies against pathogens because the cost of developing new antibiotics is high and eventual resistance is likely."

The multidisciplinary "AncientBiotics" team will present their findings this week at the annual meeting of the Society for General Microbiology. They plan to keep exploring the future potential of potions from the past.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/medieval-garlic-and-bile-potion-kills-mrsa-superbug/

• Upvote 3

Excellent article. You should also look into an age-old remedy called "Master Tonic" that one can make at home and is effective against bacteria, viruses, fungus, yeasts, parasites etc. It must be made as very few places sell it.

It's called Master Tonic for a reason. It has been proven to stop all the things mentioned above and much, much, much more. Google Master Tonic and you can find out about it and how to make it. It's surprising how potent it is. The recipe is easy AND it's very cheap to make. If a disaster happened and the medical system broke down, it would be great to have some of this stuff on hand.

I am a cancer survivor and also live with systemic lupus. For over a decade I have virtually eliminated all of my health issues using natural medicine. I rarely even sneeze or cough. Last time I went to a doctor was in 2003 and back then I was told I needed to be under constant care. I make my own medicines via things like Master Tonic and make my own vitamins and probitotics using Kefir Cultures and other things. For me natural is the only way to go. I've learned our bodies can do great things if we give it the right ingredients and proper treatment.

• Upvote 5

GPcarter - glad to hear about your success with your health challenges.  Natural is great - as long as you have the knowledge and are careful. I use some of the essential oils and a MLM brand of vitamins that I have found have the least man made ingredients in them.  I also use a supplemen that is beyond natural - to the point that what it contains is native to the body.  You might be interested in the Lupus Lady on youtube.  She has documented her journey to remission with changes in diet, supplementation and treatment. 

Mark - bile should come from the gall bladder, which sits next to the live and is connected by ducts to the stomach.  Only thing I can think of is the early text mistook this as part of the stomach.

Mark - bile should come from the gall bladder, which sits next to the live and is connected by ducts to the stomach.  Only thing I can think of is the early text mistook this as part of the stomach.

I understand what organ produces it, but if this is an old remedy, then someone had to either stick a tube in the cow's stomach or the had to kill the cow and then harvest the bile.

I understand what organ produces it, but if this is an old remedy, then someone had to either stick a tube in the cow's stomach or the had to kill the cow and then harvest the bile.

Maybe it has something to do with the cow regergitates its food and chews it again and they get its cud and extractes the bile