Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

DEMS ADMIT TO PAIN CAUSED BY OBAMACARE

So 5 years after we passed it “so we can find out what’s in it” some of the very Democrats that forced the monstrosity known as Obamacare on us are still trying to delay its’ implementation because it will hurt their constituencies (read chance for re-election).  If this law was actually implemented like laws are supposed to be, even the useful idiots would have demanded it be repealed by now.  See below, as sugar coated by the AP.  RV ME

Dems to press administration for ObamaCare sign-up extension, as fines loom

The official sign-up season for President Obama's health care law may be over, but leading congressional Democrats say millions of Americans facing new tax penalties deserve a second chance.

Three senior House members told The Associated Press that they plan to strongly urge the administration to grant a special sign-up opportunity for uninsured taxpayers who will be facing fines under the law for the first time this year.

The three are Michigan's Sander Levin, the ranking Democrat on the Ways and Means Committee, and Democratic Reps. Jim McDermott of Washington, and Lloyd Doggett of Texas. All worked to help steer Obama's law through rancorous congressional debates from 2009-2010.

The lawmakers say they are concerned that many of their constituents will find out about the penalties after it's already too late for them to sign up for coverage, since open enrollment ended Sunday

That means they could wind up uninsured for another year, only to owe substantially higher fines in 2016. The fines are collected through the income tax system.

This year is the first time ordinary Americans will experience the complicated interactions between the health care law and taxes. Based on congressional analysis, tax preparation giant H&R Block says roughly 4 million uninsured people will pay penalties.

The IRS has warned that health-care related issues will make its job harder this filing season and taxpayers should be prepared for long call-center hold times, particularly since the GOP-led Congress has been loath to approve more money for the agency.

"Open enrollment period ended before many Americans filed their taxes," the three lawmakers said in a statement. "Without a special enrollment period, many people (who will be paying fines) will not have another opportunity to get health coverage this year.

"A special enrollment period will not only help many Americans avoid making an even larger payment next year, but, more importantly, it will help them gain quality health insurance for 2015," the lawmakers added. 

So far, administration officials have deflected questions about whether an extension will be granted. Health and Human Services Secretary Sylvia M. Burwell has authority to grant special enrollment periods under certain circumstances. 

Supporters of the law say an extension would mainly help low- to middle-income uninsured people, the same group that Obama's coverage expansion was intended to serve. But Republicans may criticize it as another tweak to what they see as unworkable "Obamacare." 

The health care law imposes fines on uninsured people whose incomes are deemed high enough to enable them to afford coverage. The goal is to broaden the pool of insured people, helping to keep premiums in check for everybody. 

The law also offers subsidies to lower the cost of private coverage for people who don't have job-based health care. That financial assistance is provided through a new tax credit.

Although the tax credit subsidies cover most of the premiums for many people, the coverage requirement and the fines that enforce it remain deeply unpopular.

And the cost of being uninsured in America is going up significantly.  For 2014, the fine was the greater of $95 per person or 1 percent of household income above the threshold for filing taxes. That fine will be collected when taxpayers file their 2014 returns.  But this year the fine will jump to the greater of 2 percent of income or $325. By 2016, the average fine will be about $1,100, based on government figures.

Polls show that many taxpayers are unaware of the potential financial exposure.

Floyd Cable, a real estate agent from Wichita Falls, Texas, said the escalating fines were part of the motivation for him and his wife to sign up last week. Both are self-employed, and stretching to pay health insurance premiums has been a struggle.

"We have been going without insurance the last couple of years just because the rates are so astronomical," Cable said. 

But they were also concerned they could wind up on the wrong side of rising penalties. And, being in his early 60s, Cable said he recognizes the value of having health insurance against unexpected illness.

An extension would probably help people still on the fence, like he was.  "Anything that could be done to give people more time to sort through this, is not only a good move for the administration, but just makes common sense," Cable said.

Since both the subsidies and penalties under the health law are administered through the tax system, some experts have urged the Obama administration to permanently schedule sign-up season to overlap with tax-filing season.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/02/16/dems-to-press-administration-for-obamacare-sign-up-extension-as-fines-loom/?intcmp=latestnews

• Upvote 5

From friends of mine, I've heard good and bad things about ACA.....seems to be about a 50/50 split.  I'm curious to see how it works out for them.  

GO RV, and NO BV

No fair Shab's.

Just because your two friends are split on the issue does not mean it is a valid study! :lol:

• Upvote 5

What I have been hearing from friends who work

and pay taxes is they cannot afford health insurence

and do not qualify for Obamacare. One called around

and was quoted $650.00 a month jjust for himself. This

whole thing is a nightmare because others that signed up

for a Obamacare plan payed say $150.oo the first year

and then the second year it jumped too $350.00 and up

the next year. This whole thing is a nightmare.

• Upvote 2

The only redeeming factor is if you are a honorably discharged military you can use the VA.

The deductible is factored on your income. 

The only problem with that is it took the VA over two years to finally read my blood work and realize I am diabetic with blood sugar 750% higher than normal, and was at risk of diabetic coma or death.

Had to go in because too many symptoms became severe and I didn't know what the heck was going on.

Moral of the story, if you can manage to live long enough, they will get around to help you out...they DID apologize though, and said I looked too "healthy" to be diabetic, and if I was only jaundiced someone would have probably looked during the almost 3 years since I started using them.

I didn't bother to ask what they do for asians....

Edited by divemaster5734
  • Upvote 4

The only redeeming factor is if you are a honorably discharged military you can use the VA.

The deductible is factored on your income. 

The only problem with that is it took the VA over two years to finally read my blood work and realize I am diabetic with blood sugar 750% higher than normal, and was at risk of diabetic coma or death.

Had to go in because too many symptoms became severe and I didn't know what the heck was going on.

Moral of the story, if you can manage to live long enough, they will get around to help you out...they DID apologize though, and said I looked too "healthy" to be diabetic, and if I was only jaundiced someone would have probably looked during the almost 3 years since I started using them.

I didn't bother to ask what they do for asians....

Yeah they definitely dropped the ball.  They should run regular blood tests on you and check the minimum for A1C, Liver and Kidney function... Are you seen regularly at the Internal Medicine Clinic?

-

• Upvote 2

Yeah they definitely dropped the ball.  They should run regular blood tests on you and check the minimum for A1C, Liver and Kidney function... Are you seen regularly at the Internal Medicine Clinic?

-

Actually, once they made the discovery, they are taking very good care.

I have to do a cat scan tomorrow, they may do a transplant because some stuff is too far gone for treatment meds.

On the other hand, since starting insulin I feel better than in a long time.

All the crap over the last several years now make sense.

It's nice to get some energy and focus back.

I would definitely recommend to anyone to do their own blood sugar test.

I've since noticed most pharmas are giving away readers with a limited supply of test strips and lancets.

A person could get a free tester and the normal readings are online everywhere.

It wouldn't cost a penny or or a doctors appointment.

• Upvote 3

"We have to pass the (health care) bill so you can find out what's in it."  Pelosi  :blink:

"You go through the gate.  If the gate is closed, you go over the fence. If the fence is to high, well you poll-vault in.  If that doesn't work, we parachute in.  But we're going to get a health care reform passed for the American people."  Pelosi :huh:

"I'm confident...I'm hopeful that we'll have a (health care) bill as a Christmas present for the American people."  Pelosi :o

What a dishonest political hack. 

• Upvote 5

Actually, once they made the discovery, they are taking very good care.

I have to do a cat scan tomorrow, they may do a transplant because some stuff is too far gone for treatment meds.

On the other hand, since starting insulin I feel better than in a long time.

All the crap over the last several years now make sense.

It's nice to get some energy and focus back.

I would definitely recommend to anyone to do their own blood sugar test.

I've since noticed most pharmas are giving away readers with a limited supply of test strips and lancets.

A person could get a free tester and the normal readings are online everywhere.

It wouldn't cost a penny or or a doctors appointment.

Ask your doctor about farxiga or invokana.

Doc put me on invokana 4 months ago.

Dropped 35 pounds 6 inches on waist line and cut my insulin usage by 2/3.

The dramatic weight loss has slowed down now.

P.s. I am still losing about 1 pound a week. That is on the 100 milligrams dose.

It just might make me sexy again!

Edited by Muleslayer
  • Upvote 2

I am a diabetic. I am Insulin resistant. I am not on Insulin, thank God. 2.5 months ago I made a life decision to eat LCHF. (Low Carb High Fat) I have lost 16 lbs. I got off 1 medication(Januvia) and reduced my Metformin in half. (From 2000mg a day to 1000mg a day) I feel great and more energy. I feel better than I did 15 years ago. Next after the Met I am working on getting off the BP meds. I noticed my sugars drop drastically and hover around 105 to 110 after a meal. There is a U-tube video about a guy(Butter makes your pants fall off) This eating life style change is not for everyone but I know if I don't make this change I will be in a world of hurt by the time I am in my 60's. 

• Upvote 2

Ask your doctor about farxiga or invokana.

I am a diabetic. I am Insulin resistant. I am not on Insulin, thank God. 2.5 months ago I made a life decision to eat LCHF. (Low Carb High Fat) I have lost 16 lbs. I got off 1 medication(Januvia) and reduced my Metformin in half. (From 2000mg a day to 1000mg a day) I feel great and more energy. I feel better than I did 15 years ago. Next after the Met I am working on getting off the BP meds. I noticed my sugars drop drastically and hover around 105 to 110 after a meal. There is a U-tube video about a guy(Butter makes your pants fall off) This eating life style change is not for everyone but I know if I don't make this change I will be in a world of hurt by the time I am in my 60's. 

I hadn't planned on even saying anything about it, just mentioned it for illustration purposes.

Glad I did and should have just trusted my DV family to respond well.

Thanks you two, I'm learning more and more every day, just as much as my limited information brain can absorb.

Will check out the diet and ask the doc tomorrow about the insulin.

Edited by divemaster5734
  • Upvote 3

... I feel better than in a long time.

It's nice to get some energy and focus back...

... Dropped 35 pounds 6 inches on waist line and cut my insulin usage by 2/3.

It just might make me sexy again!

... I feel great and more energy. I feel better than I did 15 years ago...

I'm so happy you boys are feeling better!  :)  :twothumbs:   :hug:

Now, back on topic... ;)

Democrats Beg Obama to Bend Obamacare Rules to Avoid Tax Penalties for Millions

Three senior House Democrats are pleading with the Obama administration to bend the Obamacare rules to prevent their constituents and millions of Americans from being hit with Obamacare tax penalties.

Reps. Sander Levin (D-MI), Jim McDermott (D-WA), and Lloyd Doggett (D-TX) have strongly requested a special sign-up for the uninsured who will all be hit with a $325 fine or two percent of their income (whichever is higher) for failure to enroll in 2015. In 2016, the Obamacare tax penalty will be an average $1,100, reports the Associated Press. For 2014, the Obamacare tax was $95 or one percent of income.

“Open enrollment period ended before many Americans filed their taxes,” the three lawmakers said in a statement. “Without a special enrollment period, many people (who will be paying fines) will not have another opportunity to get health coverage this year.”

The lawmakers’ pleas come on the heels of a devastating New York Times article published last week titled, “Insured, but Not Covered,” which revealed that many Obamacare customers are hitting the harsh wall of reality about how expensive and flimsy their Obamacare plans truly are. As the Times notes, “A recent New York Times/CBS poll found that 46 percent of Americans said they had trouble affording health care, up 10 percentage points in just one year.”

Obamacare remains deeply unpopular. According to the RealClearPolitics average of polls, just 39% of Americans support Obama’s signature legislative achievement.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/02/16/democrats-beg-obama-to-bend-obamacare-rules-to-avoid-tax-penalties-for-millions/

Insured, but Not Covered

WHEN Karen Pineman of Manhattan received notice that her longtime health insurance policy didn’t comply with the Affordable Care Act’s requirements, she gamely set about shopping for a new policy through the public marketplace. After all, she’d supported President Obama and the act as a matter of principle.

Ms. Pineman, who is self-employed, accepted that she’d have to pay higher premiums for a plan with a narrower provider network and no out-of-network coverage. She accepted that she’d have to pay out of pocket to see her primary care physician, who didn’t participate. She even accepted having co-pays of nearly $1,800 to have a cast put on her ankle in an emergency room after she broke it while playing tennis.

But her frustration bubbled over when she tried to arrange a follow-up visit with an orthopedist in her Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield network: The nearest doctor available who treated ankle problems was in Stamford, Conn. When she called to protest, her insurer said that Stamford was 14 miles from her home and 15 was considered a reasonable travel distance. “It was ridiculous — didn’t they notice it was in another state?” said Ms. Pineman, 46, who was on crutches.

She instead paid $350 to see a nearby orthopedist and bought a boot on Amazon as he suggested. She has since forked over hundreds of dollars more for a physical therapist that insurance didn’t cover, even though that provider was in-network.

The Affordable Care Act has ushered in an era of complex new health insurance products featuring legions of out-of-pocket coinsurance fees, high deductibles and narrow provider networks. Though commercial insurers had already begun to shift toward such policies, the health care law gave them added legitimacy and has vastly accelerated the trend, experts say.

The theory behind the policies is that patients should bear more financial risk so they will be more conscious and cautious about health care spending. But some experts say the new policies have also left many Americans scrambling to track expenses from a multitude of sources — such as separate deductibles for network and non-network care, or payments for drugs on an insurer’s ever-changing list of drugs that require high co-pays or are not covered at all.

For some, like Ms. Pineman, narrow networks can necessitate footing bills privately. For others, the constant changes in policy guidelines — annual shifts in what’s covered and what’s not, monthly shifts in which doctors are in and out of network — can produce surprise bills for services they assumed would be covered. For still others, the new fees are so confusing and unsupportable that they just avoid seeing doctors.

Read more… http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/08/sunday-review/insured-but-not-covered.html?_r=2
  • Upvote 4

My 27 year old healthy daughter just signed and it is going to cost her $200 a month, and my 28 year old daughter was supposed to sign up also. Not sure if she did, she went camping all weekend.. They both fell off my work insurance at age 26. 

• Upvote 1

1979... a 4 finger lid... $35... Mostly Maui Wowie (but there was a little labrador in it!)   B)

Brutal.

Was around '73, Big Bamboo album had a paper.

4 1/2 finger lid, $10.

Or, you could just hit TJ, $15 for a lb from any cabby.

And all that sunshine.... Timothy Lear isn't dead.... roflmao

Pick out seeds, plant the dark ones.

• Upvote 3

WHACK! <-- Sister Mary ELEPHANT'S ruler to both of your knuckles!

DIABETES, MY EYE! Get your fanny perpendicular out of bed and get ready for school!

Poke da bear!

1977 $25 dollar lid red creeper.

Alas the corps straitened my azz right out!

Sister mary don't have squat on my TI.

R Lee Emry took lessons from Gunny Jack.

So glad I am a civilian now.

• Upvote 2