Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Sunnis may exit Iraq parliament after sheik’s slaying

wilrocksvegas

Sunnis may exit Iraq parliament after sheik’s slaying - The Washington Post
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/sunni-parties-consider-leaving-iraqi-parliament-after-slaying-of-sheik/2015/02/14/7e164a8c-b463-11e4-bf39-5560f3918d4b_story.html

By Loveday Morris and Mustafa Salim February 14 at 1:59 PM  Follow @LovedayM

BAGHDAD — The brazen kidnapping and slaying of a Sunni sheikh and eight members of his entourage in the Iraqi capital was met with outrage by Sunni politicians on Saturday, deepening sectarian distrust and threatening to tear apart the country’s fragile government.

Sunni politicians said that they would boycott parliament after the killing of Sheikh Qasim al-Janabi, a moderate Sunni tribal leader, his son and the other members of their convoy, blaming the Friday night assault on Shiite militias that they say the government has allowed to act with impunity. Discussions continued into the night as to whether Sunni parties should pull out of the government altogether.

Such a move would strike a blow to the inclusive Iraqi government that Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi created under pressure from the United States, which had tied his efforts to reach out to Sunnis to military assistance.

While both Iraqi and U.S. officials say that bringing in Iraq’s Sunnis and assisting them in turning against the Islamic State is an essential part of defeating the group, Sunni politicians say they’ve heard promises but seen little action.

“The bullet that shot Sheikh Qasim also shot at the heart of national reconciliation,” said Sunni parliamentarian Raad al-Dahlaki. “The government has nice words but doesn’t execute its promises. It’s too weak to control the militias.”

2015-02-14T182701Z_01_BAG11_RTRIDSP_3_MI
Mourners carry a coffin during the funeral of prominent Iraqi Sunni tribal leader Sheikh Qasim al-Janabi and his son, Mohammad, who were killed in an attack on their convoy, in Baghdad Saturday. (Stringer/Reuters)

Iraq’s Shiite militias have flourished since the Islamic State’s advance across the country last summer — as the government was forced to rely on them for security as Iraqi army divisions disintegrated.

Although many credit the Iranian-backed paramilitaries with saving the capital from falling, with their growth in strength have come accusations of mass killings and forced displacement of Sunnis.

While not the most grievous of such acts leveled at the country’s Shiite militias, the fact that the Janabi slaying occurred in central Baghdad drew particular ire.

Janabi and his group were pulled over at a fake checkpoint in the city’s southwest. Their bodies — hands bound and shot execution style — were later found dumped in a largely Shiite neighborhood in the city’s northeast. Janabi’s nephew, a member of parliament, was kidnapped with him but was released after being severely beaten.

The perpetrators wore Iraqi security forces uniforms, he told the local news media.

“This happened in the center of Baghdad, not the desert,” Iraq’s Sunni deputy prime minister, Saleh al-Mutlak, told Sharqia television from the shiekh’s funeral. “They must have had to driven them through 50 checkpoints. Where are the security services? Where is the government? We are at the mercy of these gangs.”

A close friend of the slain tribal leader, Mutlak said Janabi had been a voice of moderation. His son, Mohammed al-Janabi, had just returned to the country after studying law at Glasgow University in Scotland.

“This is it,” Mutlak said. “We can’t stay in this miserable political process any longer. We can’t stay in a government while our sons are being slaughtered.”

Hakim al-Zamili, the head of the parliament’s defense and security committee, promised the incident would be investigated. But many Sunnis are skeptical.

Zamili is a militia leader accused of running death squads during the sectarian war. The interior minister is a member of the Badr Brigades, another Shiite militia.

While Shiite militias are well-armed and funded, Sunni tribes who have been fighting the Islamic State complain they are getting little support, stoking distrust further.

“This just helps Islamic State portray itself as the one who is looking after Sunnis,” said Dhafer al-Ani, a spokesman for the Sunni Mutahidoon party.

He gave the example of al-Baghdadi, which fell to the militants this weekthreatening the nearby air base where more than 300 U.S. Marines are based. Sunni fighters there fought with little support for months before finally relenting, he said.

“They get nothing, but the Shiite militias get support from Iran and the government,” he said. “This all makes the level of trust very weak.”

Edited by Markinsa
Changed Title | Added Contents of link

Can't wait to find out who did this and dumped them in a shitte neighborhood so the rest of the sunnis blame the shittes and pull out and join isis

A moderate ?

Then they start blaming the rule of law , and a fist fight breaks out

The plan seems to be working just as isis planned

I'm telling ya this is a mess and " soon " you will all know what maliki was going thru

Saddam loyalists were waiting ever since they signed the strategic framework agreement for the troops to be pulled out

Everyone was so happy especially the sunnis and shittes , the kurds not so much

The Sunnis were investing in arms with their share of the budget , when they should of been building a private sector

But it seems ya can't force the provinces to do anything

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

Kurds did the same thing build up their military

The shittes just kept pluging away at the oil exports and depended on the iraqi military to build itself

This sounds like it's got Maliki's name all over it, he will do anything to bring down Albadi's new government and try to save himself or try to get the PM position back no matter how many people die.

It doesn't sound like that to me at all

It sounds like isis and saddam loyalists

They want the Sunnis on their side

If that sunni moderate even hinted any sort of deal with baghdad it would be my opinion that isis would take him out

Fake road block then dump them in a shittes neighborhood

Maliki would of buried them in the desert , he's not as stupid as people " TRY" to make him look

To me it's obvious

So who are the hardliner sunnis in parliment ?

If maliki was going to kill one of them , why a moderate?

Why not some hardliner sunni who was a threat

I could be wrong , I guess we will have to wait and see , but do they got the names of the isis terrorists so they can ask them some questions ?

Seems like the perfect people to commit such a crime

Just blame maliki like obama blames bush

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 5

Driving thru 50 check points ?

This is disturbing

But who would know their way around the check points , either or ?

If the terrorists do know their way around the major check points and can travel throught baghdad there a huge issue , but it does make ya think

I'm really liking where I live

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

It doesn't sound like that to me at all 

Read more: http://dinarvets.com/forums/index.php?/topic/197125-sunnis-may-exit-iraq-parliament-after-sheik’s-slaying/#ixzz3Rltw5d6d

Of course not. Maliki would have dumped them in the desert?

Care to explain to us little people how that would break up the gov.?

This was done as a clear attempt to cause the Abadi gov to break apart. 

And the concept that Saddam loyalist or ISIS members roam freely within

the Green Zone is absolutely ludicrous. The perpetrators of this knew how to 

get around several other checkpoints. That is something your hero Maliki would

know how to do. And let us not forget that Maliki is a Shite who was in cahoots with

Iran also. And anyone with a modicum of common sense knows full well that Iran is 

the single biggest problem the Middle East has.   

Edited by ladyGrace'sDaddy
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

I think the article explains it just fine

Start with the article title and then read the article

We

Abadi is working just fine with the Iranians

If iraq and Iran don't get along uh can forget the port its right on the border of iraq and iran could blow it out if the water from within its own border

Without the port you can forget about iraq building a market economy

So yep it's important iraq and Iran get along

Thank god they came when they did to defend iraq as well as Russia

"People" do things

May can't blame everything on government

I know the article isn't from iraq we know how reliable their media is

But this statement from the article is revealing something

Discussions continued into the night as to whether Sunni parties should pull out of the government altogether

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

This sounds like it's got Maliki's name all over it, he will do anything to bring down Albadi's new government and try to save himself or try to get the PM position back no matter how many people die.

I agree. Maliki is the only one that would truly be delighted in destroying everything that has been accomplished so far. Sunnis and shites were doing just fine up until the Shite was killed...

• Upvote 2

I agree. Maliki is the only one that would truly be delighted in destroying everything that has been accomplished so far. Sunnis and shites were doing just fine up until the Shite was killed...

Somehow I don't think this is going to have the desired effect of the perpetrators.

Abadi has worked miracles in putting together what he's got. And if he stays true to 

form then I suspect we will see a very aggressive move on Maliki and those attacking 

the Sunni's. I mean at some point someone is going to have to do something and it seems 

that man is Abadi.    

• Upvote 7

Yes this is an example of one of the all inclusive miricles by abadi

From the article above

He gave the example of al-Baghdadi, which fell to the militants this weekthreatening the nearby air base where more than 300 U.S. Marines are based. Sunni fighters there fought with little support for months before finally relenting, he said.

“They get nothing, but the Shiite militias get support from Iran and the government,” he said. “This all makes the level of trust very weak.”

Maliki is the only one that woukd benefit , what a joke , or lie

Isis loves the iraqi govt fighting and doesn't want an all inclusive govt

They want them split and to say otherwise is either ignorance or lies

• Upvote 4

There is zero doubt in a logical thinking persons mind that Maliki did this...............sometimes i think DL is Maliki.

See now that falls under the ignorance part of my claim of ignorance or lie

But it could fall under lie since you don't have any idea of who is a logical thinking person

You have given yourself that reputation

• Upvote 2

Maliki is the only one that woukd benefit , what a joke , or lie

Read more: http://dinarvets.com/forums/index.php?/topic/197125-sunnis-may-exit-iraq-parliament-after-sheik’s-slaying/#ixzz3RmC1mtrM

Calling members names is against the rules,  :rulez:

And you still haven't answered my question, 

Of course not. Maliki would have dumped them in the desert?

Care to explain to us little people how that would break up the gov.?

Read more: http://dinarvets.com/forums/index.php?/topic/197125-sunnis-may-exit-iraq-parliament-after-sheik’s-slaying/#ixzz3RmD8Y5kp

Or is it simply that for once you don't have an answer to everything?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

i think we have to remember not to take sides in this thing and definitely not get emotionally tied into the politics of the day.  after all is said and done we are all associated with this site and studying iraq for one purpose and one purpose only which is most certainly not for humanitarian reasons.  not to be cold, but my energy is directed toward reading the news and filtering it for data that will either convince me to maintain my position or get off this train.  we study these articles to manage the risks of our investment.  

attacking one another and all of the other foolishness really says one thing, some of us need to develop a life outside of DV.  too much idle time.

Edited by TrinityeXchange
  • Upvote 4

I didn't read anywhere about this being done in the green zone

But it was in baghdad

We know isis gets into baghdad when it wants

Isis targets Baghdad with wave of car bombs and mortar attacks killing 150

Storys have been coming out about isis targeting baghdad

The sadr malitias are ethnic clensing in sunni territories

I don't think maliki is running any sadr malitias

The kurds are claiming sunni territories in the north west

I don't think maliki is running the kurds

Maliki isn't doing much of anything any more

He's just hangin out taking the blame like bush for anything that goes wrong when he has no control over the situation

It's all in abadis hands now

Either abadli is going to arm the sunnis or he isn't

The article states the sunnis trust level is very low for this govt and debated pulling out of the govt all together

We will see where this Leeds

Direct from the article

Iraqi capital was met with outrage by Sunni politicians on Saturday, deepening sectarian distrust and threatening to tear apart the country’s fragile government.

Discussions continued into the night as to whether Sunni parties should pull out of the government altogether.

“The government has nice words but doesn’t execute its promises. It’s too weak to control the militias.”

While Shiite militias are well-armed and funded, Sunni tribes who have been fighting the Islamic State complain they are getting little support, stoking distrust further

So reading this , the all inclusive govt isn't getting anything implemented

Now maliki isn't running anything so if they aren't getting support you know who to blame

• Upvote 2